The Overlords' Gambit - Cover

The Overlords' Gambit

Copyright© 2007 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 14

Erotica Sex Story: Chapter 14 - Amanda finds that life on Narlass is never going to be as simple as she hopes. The intrigue and conspiracy are far from over, and she will be pulled into events that go beyond what she had ever imagined. The Overlords plot to take down an Emperor, but he is forewarned. And now the Nobility are poised to step into the fray. Is civil war on the horizon? As for the merchant Jollis, he seems to have his OWN agenda.<br>Note: 3rd story in the Narlass series. You should read the previous stories.

Caution: This Erotica Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   ft/ft   Fa/ft   Romantic   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   FemaleDom   Spanking   Rough   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Vanlo found that a sure sign of his recovery from that potion was the fact that he could rise at precisely the time he wished in the morning.

He stepped out into the cool, pre-dawn air, the Manor quiet and still around him, save for the calls of the birds stirring to greet the sunrise. He was in a chipper mood despite what he was sure his experiment was to tell him that morning. Perhaps it was the irony that within a day's time he would have discovered the truth by indirect means without having had to go through the trouble of measuring, mixing, and distilling.

Nevertheless, it did have a use. It made the case for the purpose behind the potion rock solid. Otherwise, he would have been left with the question of whether the effect was intentional or indirect.

At the thought of the Portal and who would be traversing it the next day, his mood became a little more somber, his gaze a bit more subdued.

He struggled to push it out of his mind. He should not be so concerned for just one slave. His concerns were with the health and happiness of all the Manor slaves, not just Amanda. When she was gone, there would be no less need for his services for those that remained.

Vanlo entered the office, leaving the door open to let in the refreshing breeze. His experiment was past the point where he needed to worry about wind interfering with delicately adjusted flames. He sat down at the apparatus, which had been cooling all night, leaving him with a jelled fluid in a flask.

He picked up the flask in his knobbly fingers and held it up to the light, where his sharp eyes could look it over with a critical gaze. He turned it around in his hands several times.

"Hmm, yes," he muttered.

He took a stirring stick from the table and dipped it into the solution, stirring once one way, and then twice the other. Colors swirled and slid past each other in layers as it became partially liquid again.

"Quite," he said in a louder voice.

Everything was turning out as he had thought it would, but there was one last thing to be done.

He stood up. He suddenly jerked his head towards the door to the treatment room, thinking he had heard something. He peered through the door for a few moments to satisfy himself that no one was there. He did not walk over to it, however, as he was anxious to see the final results of his experiment.

He headed over to a cabinet mounted under the counter. He opened it, withdrew the empty flasks within, and pressed his hand against the back. After a few moments there was a click. He lifted his hand, and the back sprang open like a door on hinges, revealing a tattered cloth bag with a broken drawstring.

Vanlo withdrew the bag and examined it with mild interest. He sometimes marveled at how one prepared herb could cause so much trouble and misery. However, he did not hate it. It was ridiculous to hate a medicinal herb. It did not control who used it or how. Just like any herb, even the toxic ones, it had a proper use.

Vanlo brought the bag over to the apparatus and sat down before it again. He opened the bag, light sparkling off the tiny, shiny black crystals within. He took a very small pinch between thumb and forefinger and dropped it into the flask.

The reaction was immediate. A pale purple flame burst silently from the surface of the concoction. It roared upwards so quickly that Vanlo's hand was caught inside it, as it was still poised over the flask. It did not burn, however. He felt nothing more than a slight warmth.

The flame flickered out barely one breath later, leaving a seething foam of black on the surface of the fluid. The reaction had been brief, but it was enough.

"Indeed," Vanlo said with a slow sigh.

"So now will you let me in on the big secret?"

Vanlo had bolted out of his seat the moment the voice rang out. By the time it had concluded, Vanlo was facing the younger Healer with a fury in his eyes that was most unusual for him. No less so was the anger in his voice. "Get out!"

Lanno leaned against the inside of the door frame, his arms folded, one foot crossed over the other, more lounging than standing. Once he heard Vanlo, however, his stance grew more confrontational as he straightened up and stepped inside. "I will do no such thing."

"I have told you this is my private experiment and is not to be interfered with!"

"It appears your experiment is over, Vanlo, and I am most curious about the results. Especially after what I have seen."

Vanlo narrowed his eyes and took a deep breath. "There is nothing for you to see here. Nothing at all."

"You didn't hear me. I said I have already seen much." His gaze turned towards the table.

Vanlo caught the man's diverted attention and realized a little too late what it had now focused on. By the time he lunged at the table, Lanno already had the cloth bag in his hand.

"You will be careful with that!" Vanlo snapped. "The bag is not strong and cannot be closed properly."

Lanno did not appear to be paying attention. He was staring at the contents of the bag, shaking it slightly to see more of it sparkle. He reached a finger inside and stirred the crystals. He scooped up some on a fingertip and delicately smelled it.

He gave the senior Healer a look of surprise. "This is Jonalla!"

"I am well aware of what it is, Lanno," said Vanlo acidly. "I do not need you to identify my own supplies."

"Yes, but why do we have this? And why did you hide it?"

"Perhaps because I do not care to answer useless questions on it."

"Useless? Oh, no, Vanlo, my questions are not useless. You realize how strict the Guild Hall is about this stuff? There is no way you could have proper permission for possessing it."

"And is that what you are? A secret enforcer to see that I toe the line with regards to the rules of the Guild?"

Lanno frowned. "Of course not! Don't play the fool, Vanlo."

"I play at nothing."

Lanno held up the Jonalla. "I beg to differ."

Vanlo stepped up to Lanno, eyes burning, though his body hurt from the prolonged tension caused by his anger and tempered his gaze somewhat. "You will differ with nothing. It is not your place to do so."

"Not my place? See here, Vanlo! I told you from the start that I will not be treated as an apprentice! I am the same rank as you, and I wish to be treated as such. I simply wish to know what you have done here and why. I accuse you of no improprieties. I just want to know what is going on in this office. In our office."

Vanlo's anger reached a breaking point. In his fury he lunged at Lanno. Lanno feared that the elderly Healer was attacking him, and he did not want to hurt the man while defending himself. Yet instead of Vanlo's flailing hands going for Lanno himself, they attempted to grab the bag.

As startled as Lanno had been, he did not have a firm grip, but neither did Vanlo. The net result was that the bag landed between them on the floor, bursting open and scattering half the contents over the stones.

Vanlo looked down at the mess. Lanno tensed, expecting an explosion. Instead, the older Healer uttered a long sigh and his shoulders slumped.

The senior Healer finally looked up. He took another deep breath and folded his hands behind his back. "Yes, well... age equates to experience. That is obviously not synonymous with common sense."

There was still an edge to Vanlo's voice, but it had softened considerably. He paused a moment and stepped away from Lanno, retreating to his chair. He sat upon it heavily, suddenly feeling very tired.

Lanno was unsure of how to react. "Vanlo... do you wish me to fetch something to clean..."

Vanlo shook his head and waved a hand in dismissal. "It was my fault, I shall clean it up in due time."

Lanno raised an eyebrow. Knowing how Vanlo liked everything meticulously neat and clean, this definitely meant something had deeply disturbed the man.

Vanlo finally turned to face Lanno, his face grim. "You must be made to realize something, Lanno. Feel free to blame it on a limitation on my part if that comforts you. I do not like you. I do not trust you. I am unsure if one of those has led to the other, or which one came first. But there it is. You see, now, my reluctance to disclose to you what I am doing?"

Lanno was a bit taken aback by the older Healer's brutal honesty. One part of him did want to fume at the idea that Vanlo would choose to think so negatively of him for no apparent reason, but he held this in check. This was the closest they had come to having an actual dialog instead of a veiled shouting match.

"I understand," Lanno said carefully. "Now allow me to repay honesty with honesty. I do not like you, either, but for different reasons. I actually do trust you. It is the fact that you appear to disregard my opinions that gets to me. Granted, we appear to come from opposite sides of the spectrum on some things..."

"On many things," Vanlo corrected immediately.

Lanno smirked slightly, but quickly suppressed it. "On many things, then. And I know we likely will never agree on those points. But perhaps we can be a little less confrontational with each other."

"I can make no promises. I am an old man. I am set in my ways. I will not change. I cannot. This is what I know and what I will carry to the grave with me."

Lanno sighed softly. "I had a feeling. I'll try to deal with it better. Or perhaps you can try trusting me some more."

Vanlo brought his hands together and steepled his fingers as he leaned back in his seat. "I will try," he said simply.

Lanno decided to put it to a test immediately. "In that case, Vanlo, can you please tell me what you are doing with Jonalla? And what was the purpose of this experiment?"

Vanlo considered hard for a long moment. Finally, he stood up and raised a finger to Lanno, setting his gaze hard and cool. "I will tell you. But you will tell no one else outside this office nor debate with me what I intend to do about it. That will be between the Overlord and myself."

Lanno nodded once. "I trust that he already knows you have the Jonalla? And that you are experimenting with it?"

"Yes to the first, no to the second. But he trusts me to carry out whatever experiments I see fit. Now... you will listen to me and do not interrupt."

Vanlo explained how the Jonalla had arrived at the Manor by way of a slave who was in reality an Imperial Agent. Jonalla was a mind-altering herb, and it had been used in pure form to sow disobedience among the slaves. He then explained how he had awoken one morning during the Conclave feeling terrible, and how his mental faculties had been affected, leading to his decision to give the Healer position to another. He went on to say how he had recovered, but was left with the question as to what had happened to him.

Then he explained his first clue.

"I noticed there was less Jonalla than I remembered," Vanlo continued. "Naturally this simply could have been my addled senses. Yet when I took a meticulous inventory of all my supplies, I found other ingredients missing. Someone had clandestinely made a potion and given it to me, most likely by vaporizing it in my quarters."

Lanno was aghast at this. Despite his personal feelings towards Vanlo, he could not stand the thought of someone forcing a potion with detrimental effects on another. It went against everything he had been taught as a Healer. "That is reprehensible!"

"Indeed. Thus I had proof that someone had mixed a potion with mental effects. But what effects? Surely not for the sole purpose of making me fuzzy-headed for awhile. There is no point to that, and there are far simpler formulations for such a thing. No, this was intended to make a permanent change to someone's psyche. To mine."

"That's a serious accusation, Vanlo."

"Yes, it is." He swept an arm towards the apparatus. "But clearly borne out by the facts."

"So that is what you have been doing? Recreating the formula and determining the effects?"

Vanlo's face grew grave and he nodded solemnly.

Lanno was beside himself. That was a incredible feat. There were very, very few Healers, even among those as experienced as Vanlo, that had a knack for that sort of analysis. It was very tricky work, meant only for those that were very patient and have highly associative minds.

"Vanlo, there are Healers that would kill for a skill like that," he finally said.

At first Vanlo was put off by the younger Healer's choice of words. Yet when it dawned on him that Lanno was finally openly acknowledging his experience, it softened his response. "Hmm, well, don't tell the Guild Hall that. They will be up in arms about Healers killing for greater experience."

Lanno started to smile at this, thought better of it and instead gestured towards the apparatus as he asked, "Is that something you can teach me to do?"

Vanlo raised an eyebrow. "You wish me to instruct you in something?" he asked dubiously.

"Yes, I do."

There was a long pause. "I will consider it. But let us get back to the matter at hand."

"Yes, please. Did you find anything else about the potion used against you? Like what it was intended to do?"

"I have a theory only. Much of it is supposition, but it will be confirmed or denied after tomorrow."

"Oh?"

"Are you familiar with Portal energy sensitivity?"

Lanno considered for a moment. "I believe so. It's something some Mages have. They can sense when a Portal is being energized or opened up nearby, right?"

"Correct. Though such an ability is not limited to Mages. It is innate, so it can come to anyone. It just so happens that many that have it choose to pursue the career of a Mage. There are those who develop the ability who choose a different path. Myself, for instance."

Lanno's eyes widened. "You can sense Portal energies?"

"Yes. Or, rather, I had, once. I do not believe I have the ability anymore. That is the intent of the potion, to still Portal sensitivity."

For a long moment there was leaden silence in the room.

"Vanlo," said the younger Healer in a cautious voice. "Are you sure of this?"

"To be honest, not completely. Some of this is circumstantial. Which is why we will see tomorrow when his Lordship energizes his Portal."

"But why do that to you? And who did it?"

Vanlo shook his head. "The Overlord may have his own guesses as to the former, considering the precarious political machinations at work in Oceanus at the moment."

Lanno nodded absently at this. He admitted that he had not been following current events of late.

"But as to the latter, I do not know. I have no clue as to the perpetrator."

Lanno wondered if this were too much to take in at once. Vanlo had handed him some revelations about what was really going on in the world that were far more than he had ever wanted to know. Yet someone had used Healer supplies in a blatantly malicious manner. No matter what his feelings towards Vanlo were, that went against every belief of a Healer.

If there was one tenet that was common among Healer-types across all the known worlds, it was "do no harm."

Lanno's expression became far more serious than Vanlo could ever remember seeing it. "Vanlo, I want to help. I want to see if we can find the monster that did this."

Vanlo was a bit taken aback by Lanno's vehemence. "Indeed? Monster?"

"Yes, monster. You don't go messing with someone's head like that."

"I sincerely appreciate the offer, Lanno," said Vanlo. "But it will likely be for naught without any clues to go on. I can give you the how and the what. We can speculate on the why. But the who will elude us."

Lanno sighed in frustration. He had hoped that this would be a chance to actually work with Vanlo as a peer and earn some respect from the man. He felt he had made some inroads that morning, but he wanted to build on it.

Vanlo took a deep breath and let it go, rubbing at his temples. "The stress has left me a bit fatigued now," he said in a soft voice. "I would like to rest before I speak with his Lordship about my findings. Could you find something else to do?"

The question was spoken partially as a polite request, partially as a plea. Lanno understood and nodded once. "If you would like me to clean up for you... ?"

Vanlo shook his head adamantly. "I clean up my own messes."

Lanno nodded again and ducked out of the room.

Vanlo stood up tiredly. It had started out as a good day, and now he felt as if he were ready to crawl back into bed. He fetched a dust pan and brush and carefully lowered himself to his knees before the spilled Jonalla, wincing a bit as he forced aged joints to move in ways that they did not care to be moved any longer.

Vanlo was about to bring the brush down at the edge of the spill when his eyes flickered over to something near the overturned bag. Once again, the fact that Vanlo's vision had remained clear and sharp into his old age served him well, for now they had spotted a detail that another may have missed.

It lay just at the edge of the bag. Barely visible. Just a tiny, thin curve. Carefully leaning forward, he reached towards it and grasped it between his thumb and forefinger. Several errant grains of Jonalla fell away as he extricated it. He brought it to his eyes for closer inspection.

"Master Lanno!" he called out sharply.

Lanno rushed back into the room, looking on in alarm. "Vanlo, have you fallen?! Do you..."

Vanlo smoothly rose to his knees, and then to his feet, and presented his prize to the other Healer. Lanno blinked as he stared at the single, short black hair held in Vanlo's fingers. "This was in the Jonalla."

Lanno just stared. "In the... how in the world did you spot... ?"

"Perhaps you can be of some assistance after all," said Vanlo with a small smile.


With a deafening crash, the door to Q'yros' quarters slammed into the stone wall of the corridor. The door frame was partially splintered on one side where the door had been ripped from its hinges. People that had been walking the passage suddenly came to a stop and just stared in shock.

The Mage approached the wrecked doorway. His staff still glowed faintly from the release of magical energy, his eyes blazing with equal measure of anger and frustration.

Suddenly, all the curious in the corridor found someplace else they needed to be, and quickly left Q'yros alone. No one bothered to summon a guard. Indeed, even the guards themselves that were stationed at either end of the corridor decided it was a good time for a break.

Q'yros paused and took a few deep breaths to try to calm himself. It did no good. He gripped his staff tightly and marched off towards the Emperor's chambers.

And how do I learn of these latest edicts? From his mouth? From his talks with his supposed adviser? the Mage thought bitterly. No, I hear it like everyone else does, by these damnable parchments!

The last time he had been in such a towering rage, it had been when he had learned of his appointment to adviser in the first place. Now he was doubly angry; first he was forced to take on this position, and now the Emperor was disregarding his advice at every turn.

Unlike the last time, Q'yros did not bother to temper his fury before advancing down the corridor to the throne room. As he had expected, the two guards on duty immediately advanced and drew their swords.

Q'yros raised the staff, and the guards as one brought steel to bear on the Mage.

A flash of light, and the guards were slammed into opposite walls of the corridor, swords flying impotently from their hands and clattering loudly to the stones. They slumped to the floor and were still.

Q'yros waved a hand and uttered an incantation. The gilded doors opened before him.

The two guards on the other side leapt out at the Mage. Q'yros already had his staff stretched out horizontally before him, the faint glow of a shield forming around his body.

"Hold!"

The two guards paused and exchanged a single look. They slowly lowered their swords and backed up a step. Q'yros likewise lowered his staff, the glow around him flickering out.

Footsteps echoed in the chamber as the Emperor calmly stepped between the guards. He waved a single hand in the air without looking at them. The guards returned to their posts on either side of the door within the chamber.

Z'haas stepped up to Q'yros, his gaze icy. "I trust there is a reason for you abusing my personal guards?"

Q'yros did not wither the least under the Emperor's cold gaze. He turned his staff in hand and thumped the end against the floor. "And you do not believe I am about to strike you dead? Are you not afraid that I have perhaps come to usurp the throne and take the power for myself? You seem to pick and choose who your enemies are, my Emperor."

Despite the overall respectful tone, Z'haas sensed the bile in the Mage's voice. "Are you accusing me of being paranoid, Q'yros?"

Q'yros had not expected a point-blank question such as that, but felt that the time for amenities was over. He reached into his robes and yanked out a scroll that he presented to the Emperor. "Yes."

Z'haas' eyes flicked down to the parchment, but he made no move to take it. Instead, he gestured for the Mage to follow before turning and walking back into the throne room.

Q'yros gripped the scroll tightly, crushing it in the center before stuffing it unceremoniously into his robes. He thumped his staff once loudly and proceeded into the chamber.

As he marched behind Z'haas, he noted there were more guards stationed around the periphery of the chamber. "Really, is all this necessary?" Q'yros declared, sweeping his staff towards the other guards.

"I will determine what is necessary," said Z'haas as the guards closed the doors to the chamber before returning to their posts.

"Yes, I see you already have," said Q'yros acidly, brandishing the scroll again.

Z'haas turned just short of the dais that held the throne and cast a stony gaze at the Mage. "And you have a problem with this?"

Q'yros was too flabbergasted to reply at first. When he finally could speak, there was a tone of incredulity to it. "Have you given any thought whatsoever to how you intend to placate the Nobility when they arrive in less than a quarter moon? Do you even have any concept of what it is like to deal with a full compliment of Nobles and their representatives?"

"Are you accusing me of being ignorant of protocol?"

"Yes, I am. Your assignment of personal guards to each of the Nobles is proof of that."

"And you think they will be insulted at this rather than accept it as a sign of concern for their safety?"

"When you stipulate that the guards will need to escort them wherever they go, and you declare certain areas of the Imperial Palace off limits to them, yes!"

Z'haas narrowed his gaze. "And you would wish to give them free run of the Palace? After we had a conspiracy to usurp the throne right in our midst?"

"The Nobility are not about to make so blatant a move against Imperial power," the Mage declared. "If they wished to do so, they would arrive at the Imperial City with an army and take it by force! That is how they operate. You are carrying your paranoia over your safety too far, and it threatens to undo any good that may come with this Caucus."

"Good?!" the Emperor exclaimed. "You expect something good to come out of this? You seriously believe they will be swayed by mere words? No, Q'yros, they will understand nothing less than a show of force, and that is what this security measure will do."

"And that will push them into opposing you. Then they will return, and this time it will be with an army!"

"By that time, I will have secured our western frontier. Colos will be neutralized and the crisis will be over for the time being."

On this point, Q'yros continued to be frustrated. He was trying to find the logic in Z'haas' thoughts. Q'yros himself realized that some action was necessary, but the more he thought about the politics involved, the more he began resisting the idea of a military excursion again. He could not make up his own mind on the matter, and there was little further information to go on from the Guild Hall.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.