The Mirror Cracked - Cover

The Mirror Cracked

Copyright© 2007 by RussellG

Chapter 1

Two figures wing their way across the nighttime sky unseen by those who live and work below.

"Quiet night tonight," said Angela to Broadway, who was gliding close to her.

"Yea, we'll get a brake and get some time to spend by ourselves tonight." He reached out and took her hand.

Angela smiled at the thought, and was about to voice similar feelings when...

"Help! Someone please help me!"

Both of them turned sharply at the sound of someone in need.

"I guess we'll have to pick up that thought later," Broadway said, and with Angela by his side he dove for the street below where the cry for help came from.

They both landed cautiously on the side street.

"I don't like the feel of this," Broadway whispered.

Angela looked around for the source of the cry, but could see no one. "This is very odd." She turned to Broadway. "Perhaps whoever was causing trouble saw us descend and ran off."

Broadway looked unconvinced. "This feels too much like a set up to me."

Angela looked puzzled. "A set-up?"

"What your boyfriend means is a trap... and he's right!" a voice called out from the dark. "Get them!"

Men in dark uniforms with hoods on came out from their hiding places, and surrounded the pair of gargoyles.

"Quarrymen!" growled Broadway. He and Angela stood back to back, ready to face any coming assault. He reached for his tiny cell-phone, but all he got was a wave of static.

"You won't be calling anyone for help monster!" the nearest Quarryman said. "We're jamming all signals in a one block radius just to be sure we aren't interrupted."

A sudden noise, followed by a buzzing sound made them look up for a moment. Above them, stretched between two buildings, was a glowing net.

"Just so you don't get any ideas about trying to glide away," said another Quarryman.

"I'll hold them off while you try and get away," urged Broadway.

"No!" Angela's eyes flared bright red. "If they want a fight, we'll both give them one!"

"Fire!" A sharp command was given, and twin cables shot out from weapons. They wrapped around Broadway and Angela, rendering them immobile. They both tried to struggle but the cables would not give.

"Those were made to hold your leader Goliath, so I'm sure they'll hold even you!" The Quarrymen began to move in. One of then reached out and stroked Angela's cheek. She hissed and made him step back for only a moment.

"This one might be fun to keep alive a bit longer than the other one," he said. His hand trailed down her front and over the swell of her breasts. "She's somewhat attractive, for a monster."

"Don't you dare touch her!" Broadway raged, his eyes glowing with white hot fury.

The Quarrymen just laughed at his outburst.

"I think it might be fun to make him watch while we get to know his girlfriend better," said the one still touching Angela. She tried to resist, but was knocked to the ground where she was quickly surrounded by a small group of Quarrymen. "After all she's not human, so what's the harm."

High on a nearby building, Demona had been watching as the pair had fallen into the trap set by the Quarrymen. She had taken great care to set this situation up in advance knowing their general patrol route. All it took was a visit to the Quarrymen's headquarters in, in her day-time form as Dominique Destine, where she then gave them the information on where they would be able to bag two Gargoyles. Of course she had no intention of letting her daughter come to any lasting harm. What happened to Broadway was incidental, but just at the right moment she would swoop down and save her daughter from the humans. Thereby gaining her trust and if they killed her chosen one, Broadway, so much the better. She would then be able to use Angela's rage over his loss against Goliath, and take her away from him and the other human-loving members of his clan.

As she watched the scene play out below, her grip on the stone beneath her fingers tightened as she witnessed one of the humans touch her own daughter in a way that no human would ever dare touch her! She marked that one to die first and picked up her laser rifle, priming it for action. She was about to launch herself at the humans below when the net above the street suddenly ripped away, carrying with it the humans who had secured it. The netting fell, as if directed to, into an alley. The Quarrymen that held on for dear life were dumped into a very large pile of trash, and became entagled in the netting. Demona then watched in rapt fascination as one by one, the Quarymen that were gathered around her daughter were felled by some unseen force. She wondered for a moment if Angela had somehow learned the art of magic, as she once did under the Archmage, and had cast some spell at her attackers... but she realized that with her hands bound Angela could never have done any such casting and that Goliath would never allow her to study magic. She brought the scope on her laser cannon up to watch more closely, just as a bule flash appeared between the two bound gargoyles and the fallen Quarrymen. Demona's breath was taken away, and the Quarrymen were shocked as a very tall, and very angry looking, figure appeared before them. Grey in color, with long silver hair and wolf-like appearence, he roared at the Quarrymen and spread his huge bat-like wings out wide. With a quick turn he reached out and snapped the cables holding Broadway and Angela... then turned back towards the shaken Quarrymen.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.