Surviving 3 - Cover

Surviving 3

Copyright© 2007 by Scotland-the-Brave

Chapter 5: Scott's vision

Time Travel Sex Story: Chapter 5: Scott's vision - Scott mac Fergus rides again! God help the Norsemen and the English - and any desirable women he comes across!

Caution: This Time Travel Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/Fa   Fa/ft   Romantic   Science Fiction   Time Travel   Anal Sex  

Having given orders as to what to do with Murdoch's body, Scott at last took the time to go and investigate what had happened to his tent and the few meagre things he had managed to bring back from the twenty-first century. He walked behind the shell of his former home and could see immediately that something was out of the ordinary here. For a start the little stand of trees was still there, unusual given the fact that everything else had burned fiercely.

He walked forward quickly now, a greater sense of anticipation, hope, that he would find his things intact. The collapsed tent was exactly as he had left it and the grass, plants and trees surrounding it had been untouched by the conflagration that had consumed Inveraray. Scott fell to his knees and confirmed everything inside the tent was undamaged.

"Well thank heaven for small mercies!" He thought to himself.

He could only guess that the spot held some kind of power, the nature of the 'portal' that pushed him backwards and forwards in time somehow meaning it was resistant to damage from outside influences. Whatever, he was delighted his things had survived. With no other safe place to put things, he left them where they were for the moment.

Scott and Gabrain now marshalled the forces they had at their disposal, only some four hundred infantry and eighty cavalry. They knew there were still two thousand Fife men only a few miles away and their position was not secure. Scott argued that they should take the battle to the enemy, that was the course of action they would be least expecting. His reading of Sun Tzu's Art of War during his college days suggested that was as good a tactic as any. Gabrain was less sure, but it was clear he was willing to follow Scott anywhere.

So, a move was made to advance on the Fifers. Scouts had reported they had retreated further up Glen Fyne, between the peaks of Ceann Garbh and Meall an Fhudair, crossing the mountains in an attempt to get to the natural path back to Fife, Strathfillan, through Glen Falloch (joining the path that in modern times is known as 'The West Highland Way').

This was no path for mounted men and Scott therefore left the infantry to follow the Fifers closely while he and Gabrain took the longer, but easier route through Glen Kinglas, Glen Croe and through An Tairbeart (modern day Tarbert). The small mounted party dashed northwards along the banks of Loch Lomond to try and get ahead of the Fife men, but had to halt at Inverarnan when they spotted the mass of enemy infantry streaming down into Glen Falloch.

Scott watched the Fife men through his trusty binos and could tell that they were already looking somewhat dispirited, no doubt the disappearance of Murdoch, on the back of the uprisings in Loarne, had affected their morale. A sudden halt in the forward march of the Fifers puzzled him until he saw a glint of sunlight on metal further up the Glen.

"It seems our Fife friends have come to a halt Gabrain, I see another force ahead of them. Whether they are friendly to Fife or not we will soon find out I suppose. Their next move should tell us so."

Gabrain now had a look through the binoculars and he could see it was as Scott had described. He watched as the Fife men began retreating back down Glen Falloch.

"It would appear as if the Fifers don't like what they have found in front of them Scott, they head back towards us."

Scott quickly called to his little mounted group. He had his Norse-slayer banner unfurled and ordered as many other flags to be flown as they had with them. The eighty cavalry rode forward, line abreast, to range themselves between Loch Lomond side and the shoulder of Troisgeach. Despite their numbers Scott hoped they would appear to be a bigger force and that this would deny the Fifers any other route but the one they had followed into the Glen. Of course, his infantry were even now marching along that route, coming towards them, and he hoped to box the Fifers in.

It soon became obvious that Scott's ploy had worked as the Fife force ground to a halt at the end of Glen Falloch. Daylight was beginning to fail and Scott and Gabrain set pickets to alert them should the enemy decide to try and make a move towards them under cover of darkness. Before trying to get some sleep, Scott sent off two men to try and discover who it was that had stopped the Fifers marching into Strathfillan.

When Scott awoke he was informed that it was in fact Lachlan and the Ayrshire and Galloway men that had faced down the Fife force. Gabrain could see that his friend was strangely distracted, something obviously on his mind, but he figured Scott would speak his mind when he considered the time was right.

The two friends now discussed their next course of action. They had effectively boxed the Fifers in but were not exactly well set up - one force of perhaps five thousand was okay, but the second infantry force was only a few hundred strong, though admittedly with the advantage of the higher ground. Their weakest point was their own, with only eighty cavalry, and if the Fife force decided to attack them they knew they would have to retreat.

Scott decided once more to do the unexpected. He rode forward with three other men, flying a white flag, in an effort to parley with the Fife force. They stopped when they were perhaps two hundred yards away. A small group of Fifers came out to meet them and Scott let them advance until they were close enough to speak.

"I see people who have in the past relied upon the men of Dalriada for support, men who have now betrayed our friendship and who are responsible for foul atrocities! Give me a reason to hold back these angry men of mine, hold them back from wiping the stench of you from our lands!"

The group in front of him looked at each other nervously, leadership clearly lacking and no one keen to speak up. At last one man found his voice and responded.

"My Lord, we are Murdoch's lieutenants, he is not currently with us and we cannot talk for him. All know your desire to avoid Scot fighting Scot and it is our hope that you will allow us to return to Fife unchallenged."

Scott recognised the man vaguely from previous battles where they had stood on the same side. He pondered the response, clearly they were still unaware of what had befallen Murdoch. He was also concerned that his passion for avoiding civil strife was in danger of being construed as a weakness, a weakness for others to try and exploit.

"It may be that the treacherous dog you call Murdoch will be able to give you the benefit of his counsel shortly my friend. For myself, I might not like the idea of fighting fellow Scots, but when those Scots act as you have, my sensibilities tend to weaken. See you, the men of Dalriada are like to disregard any such advice from me anyway. They are hot for your blood my friend, hot for repayment of the debt your deeds has created. The only way you will be allowed to pass from this Glen is if you swear to hand over Fife to one of my choosing and can provide guarantees that convince me of your fealty hereafter!"

Scott's words clearly troubled the Fifers and they huddled to discuss what he had said, demanded of them. Scott's reference to the possibility of Murdoch giving them counsel shortly had been noted and obviously affected their thinking. The same man eventually responded to Scott.

"My Lord, we will need to consider what you have said and what you are asking for. You will agree that these are no small matters and need careful thought. We suggest that we meet again tomorrow to give you a proper answer."

Scott hid the smile from his face. This had been exactly what he had been looking for. He hoped that the Fifers would now elect to talk amongst themselves rather than testing his forces for a weak spot. Talking about his offer was one step along the path of accepting it and he had some further ideas of how to help them further along that path.

"So be it my friend, one day, no more. I doubt whether I could hold my men back longer in any event. You have one day, use it well I say!"

With that Scott wheeled Albannach and trotted back towards his own men.

He described the exchange to Gabrain and his friend nodded, smiling at Scott's ability to have reduced the threat they themselves might have faced if the Fifers had turned on the offensive immediately.

Scott sent messengers to his infantry in the hills and they settled in for the night to await the response of the Fife men on the morrow.

After eating a frugal meal the friends were sitting alone, huddled round a campfire.

"My lord King, often we have discussed our plans for the future together. You know I value your wits and have in the past been guided by your insight. I have thought of a plan, a plan so grand that it frightens me and I would have your counsel again now." Said Scott

Gabrain was immediately intrigued, he could see that something had been going through his friend's mind all day and had been waiting for this discussion.

"Scott, you know my love for you and I have watched all day as this plan of yours has been warring within your head. Share your vision with me my friend, share it and let me hear what we have in store for us next!"

"This is no light matter Gabrain. Your description of a war in my head is an apt one, for I fear I may be reaching too far and for the wrong reasons. That is why I need your counsel my lord King, I expect you to be honest with me, as is your wont."

Gabrain took in the serious look on Scott's face. He had also picked up his friend's insistence on referring to him as 'my lord King', and knew this was significant. He realised that his friend was talking about something that would have far reaching consequences.

"Perhaps we should save this until we have others of our friends to consider it and give their counsel too Scott?"

"Aye, that we might do hereafter, but I would share my thoughts with you first my lord King, find out if I should even consider the possibility of moving forward with this."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.