Return From The Dark Side
Chapter 14: A Life on Hold

Copyright© 2007 by Argon

Action/Adventure Sex Story: Chapter 14: A Life on Hold - Henry Ruiz-Costa is an out-of-luck mercenary and hit man. When he rescues Josie Maxwell, he thinks that his life has taken a turn for the better. Yet Josie has her own personal demons. So has beautiful Ellen Winthorp, Henry's childhood sweetheart. Watch their struggles as they bring their lives back on track and find love. Revised 12/2013.

Caution: This Action/Adventure Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Restart   Anal Sex   Masturbation   Oral Sex   Pregnancy   Voyeurism  

Atlanta, Georgia, Spring 2005

The private nursing home was located in the outskirts of the city and the drive took Josie more than forty minutes each way. With the hour or so she stayed with Lauren, these weekly visits added up. However much Lauren protested however, Josie made time for the visit once every week.

Lauren Norkvist had been her first saviour. She was the woman who had called the police when she saw Josie doubled over in pain at that dinner party after Max had viciously raped her. She had helped Josie to find a shelter and later a small rented house to live in. A few weeks after that, Lauren had that fateful accident, a head-on collision with a small truck that left her in a coma. She had only returned to the living five months ago and Josie had visited her ever since.

With her personal life on hold, so to speak, she enjoyed being with Lauren, enjoyed helping out and enjoyed being appreciated for her actions. Lauren still needed a lot of training to regain full mobility and her speech, but it was heart warming for Josie to watch her progress.

Lauren's husband had been fired from the DA's office – on Max's urging Josie was certain – and he had lost his health insurance. For years, until Josie learned of their situation, Lauren had been pushed around from nursing home to nursing home with no real treatment, whilst her husband struggled to earn enough money to keep their two children fed and clothed.

Josie had helped him to find proper employment with a law firm that had a good family health plan promising them to handle the litigation for the Maxistores in return. This had allowed to place Lauren in a proper clinic and a few weeks later, the experimental treatment she was given had miraculously brought her around. In the Norkvist household Josie had attained the status of a patron saint.

Now she sat in an easy chair opposite Lauren and told her of her last week like she always did. Lauren still had a hard time speaking full sentences since the left half of her brain had suffered the most in the accident. She was very much like a stroke victim, but she was making slow and steady progress. From time to time she asked Josie questions to satisfy her curiosity.

"Haff ... you ... heeaard ... fvom ... Henvy?" she asked with difficulty.

Lauren was a willing and patient listener for Josie and she had told her about a large part of her affair with Henry and about her screw-up. It was Lauren who encouraged her to try and maintain the contact.

"I heard from Ellen. He is now fully recovered. They promoted him before he was retired from the military. He even received a medal, the Military Cross, from the Queen's hand."

Josie could not help but let her voice express the silly pride she felt and Lauren smiled.

"You ... s'ill ... wove ... him?"

Josie nodded. "Yes. Sometimes I lie awake at night and rack my brain trying to devise a way to win him back. In my dreams I succeed sometimes, but in the real world he is reunited with his childhood girlfriend. Ellen maintains that they are just friends, but he has forgiven her and not me."

"Owwer men?"

"A few. There are enough who would love to marry me and their hands on our money! After what happened with James Elrin I don't trust men anymore."

"Essept Henvy?"

"Except Henry. I just realised it too late. It's maddening. Now that I found out what I really want, he won't talk to me anymore. And the worst of it is that I understand him. I dumped him for a wimpy, cowardly con-man."

Lauren's right hand had gained power Josie found when her friend pressed Josie's lower arm.

"Don' givoo-up!"

Josie sighed. She knew Lauren was right, but how could she have the courage to call Henry? Just thinking of him made her inwardly cringe with guilt. Yet she knew that she had to risk it one day if she did not want to reduce her hopes to idle dreams.

The company-owned limo drove her to an Italian restaurant she frequently visited where she had yet another lonely dinner. Then it was back to the corporate headquarters. There were a lot of reports that she needed to peruse. She also wanted to work on her plans for an expansion along the Eastern Seaboard and into New England. It was some time after midnight when her phone buzzed softly. She saw it was Ed Halberd and picked up the receiver.

"Hi, Ed! So you're back. Want to come up?"

Ed affirmed that and a few minutes later he sat on the other side of her desk to report.

"George Petersen definitely prefers to sell rather than merge, Mrs. Maxwell. He's 63 and his son is a Wallstreet type who won't ever take over the business. Petersen wants out and have some fun with his money while he still can."

El Halberd had rarely sounded so urgent Josie thought. He had followed a hunch, a few weeks ago at a convention when he sounded out George Petersen about the chances for a merger or a co-operation. Petersen owned a chain of eight home electronics stores in the Boston - New York corridor. Maxwell's Maxistores had no presence at all in New England and Roger Tolley had urged Josie to expand into the North East. If Petersen was up for grabs it might be a great opportunity because he served the high end market. That was why Josie had sent Ed to Boston to establish a contact and to make a tentative proposal for cooperation.

"What do you think he may be asking?" she probed.

"We haven't talked numbers yet. The assets are not that great. Only two of his stores are on his own property, so it's mostly the inventory and the name. They have highly qualified sales staff and repair facilities though. Petersen wants some guaranties that we won't lay off his people."

"Heaven knows we could use more qualified personnel. Do you want to follow this up by yourself or do you want me to get involved?"

"Petersen is old fashion. He's his own boss and he won't get into serious negotiations with a VP."

Ed smiled to show that he understood the rules of the game. Josie grinned back. She knew the rules too. She knew that she could get better deals than Halberd, especially when negotiating with a sixty-something widower.

"Why don't you set up a meeting, Ed? Let's say on his turf. I also want to see his senior management. I want you to accompany me, you and Carston. I want Carston to have a look at their books. We're in good shape right now and I don't want to saddle us with a losing operation so early in our comeback."

"I'll see to it, Mrs. Maxwell."

Josie looked at him for a moment coming to a decision. She had proven her mettle by know and she did not need any artificial distance to assert her position.

"Ed, we've been working together for over two years now, and I think we're working well together. Would you call me Josie, please?"

Ed positively beamed. "I'd like that, Josie. If I may say so, you've been one hell of a boss to work for. Mr. Maxwell ... well, one never knew what he was up to. Sometimes I felt that he didn't even know himself. Too smart for his own good, if you know what I mean. You listen to people and you don't mind giving them credit for what they do. I never thought that working in this business could be so ... satisfying."

"Well, I needed all the help that I could get and I made mistakes. You were always ready to jump into the breach. Thank you."


When Ed was gone Josie went into her private bathroom. While she washed her hands she looked at herself in the mirror. Damn! Some of those lines around her eyes had not been there a year ago. This job was wearing her down. Plus, it was almost three in the morning. Of course, it wasn't the job or the job alone she conceded. Her private life was still a mess and she did not get nearly enough sleep. That was why she often stayed late in the office. She had to work herself dog-tired to find sleep.

The wall between her and her daughters had gates in it now, but it was still a wall that she could not tear down completely. They still resented her for screwing up what they perceived as their chance of having something like a family. Josie herself smarted under the knowledge that Henry was seemingly happy with Ellen at his side. She spoke to Ellen on the phone from time to time and from the hints Ellen dropped Josie deduced that they had a close relationship. Ellen claimed it was friendship but Josie had a feeling that it was a friendship with benefits.

She did not resent Ellen. She knew how lonely she had been. Plus, if Henry was able to forgive Ellen Winthorp who had had him almost killed once, then maybe, just maybe, he might be able to forgive Josephine Maxwell too.

Those lines in her face worried her though. What if she had a chance to meet him and he did not find her attractive anymore? Josie had never cared much about cosmetics but now her thoughts drifted into a direction that was mainly influenced by TV commercials featuring the ageless beauty of women like Isabella Rosselini or Andie McDowell. Perhaps it was time to invest some of that hard-earned money in her outer appearance.

Back in her office she received a phone call from Ed Halberd.

"I just talked to Petersen. He would be willing to invite you over the next weekend."

"Absolutely not! Ed, you know that next weekend is off limits for any business matters. You have the schedule."

"I know that, Josie, but Petersen was adamant. The weekend after the next, his granddaughter has her confirmation and the one after that is his late wife's birthday. He won't talk business on that day."

"Ed, I promised my daughters that I would keep those weekends free for them. I can't and won't disappoint them."

"I mentioned your commitment to Petersen to make my point about an alternate date. He suggested to bring them along with you. He said his daughter-in-law would show them the town while you talked. Boston is a great city."

"Well, maybe if you're a Yankee," Josie huffed. "All right, let me make a phone call and see whether the girls are okay with that."

She put down the receiver and breathed hard. This would be difficult to sell. She could almost hear Pat make a snide remark about how long it had taken for her to forget her promises. Josie shook her head. The girls would never be happy with any trip they made, at least not as happy as they had been on that summer break two years ago in England.

The idea came so sudden that it made her breathless. This might work. At least she could try. A quick glance at the clock on her table told her it was half past three, half past eight in England. Still, there was a major hurdle to overcome. Would she find the courage to call him? But then she thought of her daughters. This wasn't just about herself. The girls would be alone during summer break this year. Josie could free her weekends, but the rest of the weeks would be booked solid and for months to come. Taking a determined breath she dialled the number, amazed that it was still lodged firmly in her memory.

"Oxford Manor, who is speaking, please?"

That must be Henry's Czech housekeeper Ellen had told her about.

"Josephine Maxwell here. Could I please speak with Mr. Ruiz-Costa?"

"I'll see whether he is already up, Madam," came the answer.

A young voice Josie decided and a sexy voice. Insecurity washed over her again. Henry was an attractive man, a distinguished officer, retired and reasonably well off. He could have almost any woman he wanted. What chance did she stand, pale, unkempt and with deepening worry lines on her forehead and around her eyes?

"Ruiz-Costa here!"

"Henry, is that you?" she asked.

There was a brief pause.

"Yes, Josie, it's me."

Josie took a deep breath and squared her shoulders in an unconscious gesture of determination.

"Henry, I want to ask about the possibility of Pat and Megan visiting. We talked about it last year. Would it bother you much to have them for a few weeks?"

There was a silence on the other end.

"Did you hear me, Henry?"

"Hrhm, I had to think first. So this would be over the summer break?"

"Yes, they would really love to go and visit you. That summer two years ago was a highlight of their lives."

"I take it you'll send them over alone?" he asked sounding bitter.

"I was thinking that Christina could bring them. If you can't find room for her, I will give her paid leave and she can travel through Europe for a bit."

"I have room enough for Christina. All right, I agree. Have Christina call me and settle the travel dates and such. Better, have her send me an e-mail with the details."

Josie was relieved. "Thanks, Henry. I really appreciate this. It will mean so much for Pat and Meg. They do like you a lot."

Again, there was a brief pause and when he answered, she could hear hidden anger in his voice.

"Hey, I like the girls! Tell them I'm looking forward to their visit and I'll have Ellen reserve two ponies for them."

Ellen. All of a sudden, Josie's anxieties came to the front.

"Are you and Ellen ... you know ... are you together now?"

He sounded pissed, even though his voice remained calm.

"That's really none of your business, Josie," she heard and then a click as the connection broke.

She sat for minutes with the receiver still in her hands. His hostility had been barely veiled or was it the hurt he must still feel? Anyway, she had reached what she had tried. She could offer something to Pat and Megan in exchange for the next weekend. Picking up the receiver she called for her driver. She had a bad conscience over waking him up in the middle of the night, but she consoled herself with the knowledge that he was paid handsomely for being at her beck and call.

Josie had set the alarm clock at 7 a.m., after only three hours of sleep. She had a hard time shaking the cobwebs from her head and it was ten minutes later when she felt sufficiently awake to pick up the phone.

It took seven rings before a hurried-sounding Pat picked up.

"Hi, mom," she said. They had caller ID.

"Hi Pat, do you have a minute for me?"

"Sure," came the somewhat resigned answer. Not the kind of response Josie was hoping for when calling her daughters.

"I need a big favour from you guys. It's about next weekend. I have tried very hard to work around this, but there is this man I have to meet in Boston. I really hate to ask you, but would you guys like to accompany me to Boston? We could spend Saturday evening and Sunday in Boston and see stuff, and there will be somebody to show you the sights while I'm in meetings."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.