Some Things Are Meant To Be
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2007 by DREMAN

In spite of the fact that I told Colleen not to, she called to talk to the children Thursday evening. While I had her on the line I informed her of Bill's blowup at Audiomart and that he had now made her infamous in my circles as a cheating wife. I wasn't sure that he actually had, but I felt justified in my exaggeration. Speaking of Bill's blowup reminded me of her call the night before when she once again blasted me, so I told her that was never to happen again or I would hang up on her when she called.

She actually apologized to me. She said she was just going crazy with all the thoughts in her head.

I asked her where I should send personal mail if any were to come to the house. She told me to send it to Beecher Towers, Room 108, or to her office. That confirmed that I was correct about her room number.

I finally called the children to the telephone.

They talked a very long time that night. I don't know what all was said but the children seemed very happy to be talking with their mother again. They told her in great detail all about our picnic. I overheard Jill ask Colleen when she was coming home. Of course I couldn't hear Colleen's response but I heard Jill say, "Don't cry mother. I love you and I hope you get well soon so you can come home and be with us again."

It was all very moving. My daughter was consoling her mother when it ought to have been the other way around.

I didn't talk to Colleen again that night.


Mike never called on Friday. I knew he must be busy with everything he had to do, but I still was concerned about how he was making out with the project. I was anxious to hear something but afraid of what he might have to tell me.

He finally called on Saturday morning to tell me that everything was put in place on Friday. Mike's friends confirmed Colleen's room number from the registry and during her 3:00 PM class they planted their devices in her room. Mike said he planted his device in her car late Friday night while his friends bugged her office telephone. He also told me that security on campus was a joke. I told him that they probably didn't have enough money to have an adequate security force.

I asked if he had learned anything yet. He said they hadn't learned anything worth telling me. She had been eating alone in the faculty dining room. She spent a lot of time in her office working. She made a couple of calls from her room. One was to the children on Friday night, which I knew about, and the other was to a local girlfriend. She had not driven her car since Friday so he was sure there was nothing there. Since it was Saturday, she wouldn't be in her office, so about all we could do was wait.

One additional bit of news Mike shared was that Sharon was also helping out. She had volunteered to follow Colleen if she left campus in her car. I couldn't believe how well these amateurs had it all covered. Nonetheless, I admonished Mike to please be careful. I had no idea that I would be so anxious about all this. I didn't want anyone getting hurt or picked up by the police on my account.

When the telephone rang on Saturday evening, I was busy in the kitchen. Colleen had not called, so I supposed she was calling for the children.

Jack answered it and called to me to tell me that the call was for me. I dried my hands and picked up the telephone.

"Hello," I said.

It was Mike. "Boss Man, Bill called and she agreed to meet him at the Airport Hilton Restaurant at 7:00 PM. It doesn't sound good. She refused to meet at first, but he absolutely insisted and told her she would regret it if she didn't show. Sounded like a threat to me. Can you shake loose?"

"Not unless I can get a baby sitter," I said.

"I'll send Sharon right over. She was going to follow Colleen, but since she is meeting Bill at the hotel, you know you can catch up to her there."

Within five minutes Sharon was at the door. Jack let her in because I was upstairs changing into some of my darker clothing. I didn't know what I was doing for certain. I just thought I should make myself less conspicuous.

When I came down stairs I quickly gave Sharon some instructions, kissed Jill and Jack goodnight while explaining that I had to run and errand, and headed out the door. It all happened so fast that I'm sure the children didn't know what to think.

Since I knew where I was going and what I was going to find, I drove within the speed limits all the way. Besides, I was in no hurry to see whatever I was going to see.

I had been to the Airport Hilton a couple of times for lunch with perspective business customers. It was once a really nice place but time had taken it toll. When I arrived I saw Colleen's car right away, so I parked on the opposite side of the lot in a darkened area and put on my baseball cap.

Before I entered the hotel I carefully looked around to study the surroundings. One thing I noticed, the dining area was much more brightly lighted than the bar. Since I didn't know for sure where they would be, I was hoping they would be in the dining area, as Mike has said. If they were, I could slip into the darkened bar unnoticed.

I entered the vestibule and stayed close to the wall. I didn't know how effective a baseball cap would be as a disguise, but that's all I had. I wondered id it might actually draw more attention to me since I was the only one wearing one. I left it on anyhow.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.