Wasting Time
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2006 by wetapap

Once they had picked out dress clothes for the kids, Ethan refused to leave until Chris had picked out something for herself. He told her it was just selfishness on his part, "No man wants to be seen in church with a woman unless she is the prettiest and best dressed there."

Chris knew he was only teasing, but it made her beam with pride.

After the clothes shopping was completed, Ethan took them to the toy section. "You can have five toys each, but I have to approve them and I don't want any crying or fit throwing over the ones I say 'no' to... Understand?"

Of course they nodded and said, "Yes," but Ethan knew it was going to be a knock down drag out over each and every toy. He rejected most of the toys the kids selected.

Two hours later after tears, fits, screaming, and a little kicking, they had five toys each. Ethan had approved each and everyone of them.

For the first time since staying with Ethan, Chris had almost exploded at him. Later, she was so glad that she bit her tongue and kept her mouth shut

Chris received her biggest lesson from Ethan that night. He wasn't trying to teach her anything, but she learned it on her own. It didn't take long for her to realize how and why Ethan had approved the toys he did.

Actually, most were games, kid games, but interactive kid games. She and Ethan spent the evening playing their new games with them.

In the hall that night, Chris pulled Ethan down and lightly kissed him good night on the lips but didn't whisper a word, none were needed. A surprised Ethan watched as she went into her bedroom and didn't shut the door.

Turning and looking at him, she asked, "What? It's too warm and stuffy to sleep with the door closed."

Ethan stumbled off to bed wondering if he would ever understand women.


Sitting in church the next morning it just seemed the natural thing to do as Ethan took Chris's hand in his. It must have been the right thing because she gave his hand a tight squeeze as she smiled up at him.

The kids giggled.

After church, they decided on the mess hall for lunch. Once their plates were filled and they were seated at a table, Ethan made them wait. They were shocked when he lowered his head and started saying grace.

Sitting quietly, the little ones wondered what was going on. When they looked up at mom, her eyes were closed, but she had a big smile, so they knew everything was alright.

Just like going to church every Sunday, from that day on it became a tradition before every meal. The kids noticed mommy always smiled.

When Chris and the kids met George, his wife Ruth, and their four year old son, Chris's daughter latched on to their son and he couldn't get away. It was love at first sight.

Since George was a crew chief also, Chris discovered they lived only two houses down. She and Ruth immediately became good friends.

A shopping safari was planned and organized as soon as Ruth started filling Chris in on where all the good stores were located in relation to their homes. Ethan and George sat listening and shaking their heads, wondering not only what they had created, but if the malls would ever be the same again.

Little did they know how close all their lives would become over the next few months. At least a barbeque every other Saturday, two nights a week playing cards, and almost daily the women got together to visit, take the kids to the playground, or go shopping.

Ethan was happy for Chris, she seemed to be in heaven with her new found life.


When Ethan walked in the door one evening, he was surprised as a huffing and puffing Chris, scarfed tied around her head, said, "I could use some help here."

"With what?" Ethan asked as he dropped his stuff and followed her down the hall.

'I decided it's time for my own bedroom," she replied. He could see she had been struggling to dismantle her bed to move it back to the third bedroom.

Surprised but glad, Ethan understood the meaning of the move. She now trusted him fully and no longer harbored any fear of him whatsoever. "No problem," he said. "Why don't you go start dinner and I'll take care of this chore?"

"You've got a deal," she replied, smiling as she exited the room.


Early one Saturday morning, Chris and Ethan were sitting on the wood rail fence that separated their house from the open grounds of the estate. Although their home was located on the back side of the estate where the mansion couldn't be seen, the fence still allowed the housing addition and the estate, to have their own privacy.

As they were enjoying the crisp morning air and sipping their coffee, they could see two riders on horseback approaching. Excitedly Ethan said, "Looks like you are finally going to meet Richard... and," as he strained his eyes, "his protégé, Amber."

Chris was virtually spellbound as a stunning young lady and a magnificent gentleman carrying a riding crop in one hand came trotting up to them. Ethan bounced off the fence and took hold of the reins of the gentleman's horse and started petting the horse's neck as he said, "Good morning Richard. Enjoying your ride?"

"As always, Ethan," the gentleman replied, smiling as his horse spun around sideways right up to Chris. She was startled and a little frightened but relaxed as Richard stuck out his hand.

Just before Richard had offered his hand, he switched what Chris had thought was a riding crop to his other hand. Instead she discovered it was a beautifully crafted walking stick. It looked so elegant it almost seemed an extension of Richard himself.

"I would ask what they call you, but you have to be Miss Chris whom we have heard so much about. I'm Richard and this is Miss Amber, it's my pleasure to meet you."

The stunning young woman spoke up, "And it's my pleasure also. We have heard nothing but wonderful things about you and your children."

While shaking Richard's hand, Chris was at a loss for words. They were so majestic that the moment seemed almost mystical, right out of a picture book or movie, with the horses' breath fogging in the crisp morning air and glistening in the early morning sunlight. She knew Richard and Amber were special, but for the next thirty minutes they made her feel special.

It was almost impossible for her to look at Amber and believe the stories she had heard about her living on the streets and being homeless. She looked more like someone who had been a story book princess all her life.

During their chat, everyone noticed Chris seemed to be fascinated by Richard's cane. Finally Chris couldn't stand it any longer and she asked, "Could I hold your scepter?"

Richard turned slightly red but laughed with Ethan and Amber. Chris looked confused until it suddenly dawned on her what she had said.

With Chris sitting there blushing in deep embarrassment, a smiling Richard sought to save the moment, "Yes my lady, you may hold my scepter." Still sitting atop his horse, he turned sideways and bowed his head as he held out the cane with both hands extended palms up.

Even Chris had to join the laughter now. As usual Richard seemed to find a special smile for the occasion, this time a regal one.

As Chris gently took the cane with both hands, she found herself fascinated and couldn't resist running her thumb over the extraordinarily handcrafted gold and silver wolf head.

After their brief chat, Chris sat watching them trot off. Now she understood why Ethan thought so highly of them and was constantly commenting on what a fine gentleman Richard was.

But she knew Ethan was wrong, Richard was so much more than just a fine gentleman and there were no words she could think of to define Amber, she seemed beyond real. Chris realized she had just experienced one of those unforgettable moments that are so rare in life.

As tears rolled down her cheeks, Ethan looked up and thought, 'Oh hell, not again, ' but he knew better than to ask.


One evening after Chris had rinsed the dishes and loaded the dish washer, she headed into the living room to join the festivities. The kids, seeing her coming made a dash to climb into Ethan's lap.

Laughing, Chris darted across the room and jumped into his lap first, saying, "Ha-ha, I beat you." The kids stopped and looked at her funny. Smiling she turned to look at Ethan and he was also looking at her funny. "What?" she asked, "Can't I play too?" as she threw her arms around Ethan's neck.

All of a sudden she bolted into an upright position as Ethan burned a deep red and flustered, "Sorry... I never thought... I didn't intend..."

"It's alright," Chris said. "It's natural, nothing to be ashamed of," as she settled back down, laying on his chest with her head resting on his shoulder, feeling his erection pressing into her.

Ethan could have sworn she squirmed a little extra as she settled down to snuggle. Of course the kids didn't help as they climbed on top of her, making her wiggle and squirm some more. All Ethan could do was grin and bear it with a red face.

After playing gin that night, Ethan was following Chris down the hall as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary as Chris did her stop and pull for a brief good night kiss. Only this time, her lips lingered on his longer than normal, when suddenly he was aware the kiss had become something more.

He felt the pressure before his lips parted allowing his tongue to firmly meet hers before curling around in an explosion of passion. His hands grasped her upper arms tightly as he pulled her body to his.

Suddenly he pulled back, "Chris... I... we can't, you are married."

For a few seconds Chris looked confused, then said, "You're right." She nodded good night, left him standing there, and went to bed.


The next evening when Ethan walked in the door, he was surprised. Chris was dressed to go out and there were no delicious odors coming from the kitchen. He looked at her with that 'and' expression.

"We are going out to celebrate," she informed him.

Now he was lost, "Celebrate what?" he asked.

"I'll tell you as soon as you get cleaned up and ready to go." She hustled him towards his bedroom.

After showering and dressing, he stepped into the living room, "Ok, now tell me. What are we celebrating?"

Smiling, she replied, "I called an attorney today and I'm filing for a divorce on the grounds of desertion. You're looking at a soon to be free woman," she said as she put her hand in the middle of his chest and gave him a slight push that landed him in his recliner.

"And you know what that means," she said, jumping into his lap. She squirmed until she felt the desired results, then she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him, then squirmed some more. The kids were laughing as Ethan again flushed red.

Ethan wondered if this was going to become a nightly habit, he hoped so.

The attorney had informed Chris that a legal notice had to be run for the required amount of time in the local paper of her husband's last known address. Then it would just be a matter of the waiting period for it to become legal that is if the father didn't show up and contest it.

Chris said, "Whatever it takes. I don't think him showing up will be a problem. He's been gone over a year now. I just want to be rid of him once and for all."


Soon as Ethan walked in the door he knew something was wrong. The kids were playing in the living room floor as usual, but instead of running and jumping on him, they just glanced up and then back down. Ethan knew they were hiding their fears.

Stepping to the kitchen doorway, he could see Chris standing at the sink. She was crying. Ethan knew she was aware of his presence. His only thought, 'She's hiding her shame, but she'll tell me when she's ready.' He went to shower and freshened up.

Dinner was on the table when he returned, the kids were seated and so was Chris. No one was smiling. Ethan sat down and said grace. They ate in silence, this was a first and Ethan prayed whatever it was would be the last. He was getting anxious for Chris to 'spill the beans.'

After the kids had finished and retreated to the living room Ethan was wondering, 'Are they headed off to play or going to hide from whatever is upsetting their mommy?'

Never looking up, tears rolled down her cheeks as Chris started to speak, "Got a phone call today, actually got two of them. The first one was from my attorney. Greg had called him wanting to contact me." More tears rolled off her cheeks as she sat there quietly.

"And..." Ethan said, "the second call was from Greg."

More tears rolled as she nodded, 'Yes.'

"Chris, tears and silence aren't going to help or accomplish a thing. If I'm nothing else, I am your friend. You can talk to me about anything. I may not have all the answers, but I do have a sympathetic ear."

Chris bailed out of her chair headed around the corner of the table. Ethan instinctively knew what was coming as he unconsciously moved his chair back. She straddled his lap as she collapsed on his shoulder sobbing as they hugged each other tight. Normally this would be very sexy, but not tonight.

"Greg called, we had a long talk. He's on his way here, wants to talk face to face. Claims he has a new job, a steady one, and has been trying to find us for months. He wants us to come back home," she said.

Ethan felt the pain rip through his body as he was immediately torn between love, hate, and friendship, all wanting to be heard, seen, and felt at the same time. Tears rolled down her cheeks as he sat holding her, just rocking back and forth from the pain of his own inner turmoil. Now he knew why they all were so silent, even the kids.

"I won't stand in your way Chris, I can't, he is your husband and... the babies... he is their father. The decisions you make have to be yours." Chris could hear the pain in his voice.

"I have to ask. Do you love Greg?" he wanted to know.

"I didn't think so, at least not anymore, but as soon as I heard his voice... We did have a few years together and there is some history there. It all came rushing back to me, almost like it was just yesterday that he walked out the door." She started sobbing again.

"When will he be here?" Ethan asked.

"In about an hour," Chris replied.

Stunned, Ethan felt like he was reeling. 'And it all comes crashing down just that quick, ' he thought.

"Well, you need to talk to him. How about I take the kids to a movie? Give you two some time alone to hash things out," Ethan suggested.

"No, I don't want to be alone here with him. I'm not afraid of him or anything, but I just want you close by," Chris said.

"Ok, when he gets here, I'll take the kids in the bedroom and play some games with them. You two can have the kitchen. I don't want to be so close that either of you feel too uncomfortable to say what is on your mind," he informed her.

Chris just nodded as they sat silently holding on to each other.


The phone rang and everyone listened as Chris gave Greg directions to the front door.

Everyone froze when the knock came. The kids didn't know why, but they were scared and nervous too. Chris looked out then opened the door to a young man who's physical description could have mirrored Ethan's, even though they didn't look anything alike.

As Greg stepped into the room, he hugged Chris, a little too long to suit Ethan. Then he dropped to one knee and said, "There are my babies, come give daddy a big hug and kiss."

Both ran to Ethan who was standing and latched onto a pant leg each.

Chris asked her daughter, "Don't you remember who this is?"

Ethan wanted to smile but didn't when she answered, "Yea, that's Greg."

Then both reached up to Ethan holding out their little arms to be picked up and said, "Hold me daddy."

Greg turned red. Ethan could tell it was more than just embarrassment. Greg was angry, but he was smart enough to control it in front of Chris.

Before Ethan could pick up the kids, Greg stepped across the room and stuck out his hand, "You must be Ethan? Christie told me all about you. I'm Greg."

"My pleasure," Ethan lied.

Greg smirked as he continued, "I just want you to know that I really appreciate what you have done to help my family. I'm just glad you're too old for Christie, otherwise I'd have to be jealous."

Chris immediately said, "Greg!"

Greg looked at her and said, "Hey, I'm just expressing my gratitude for what the man has done," he lied. "I think it's great when older people give young people a helping hand."

If looks could kill, Greg would have been dead. Chris's visual darts were long, deep, and full of anger.

"I'll take the kids in the bedroom and keep them entertained so you two can talk," Ethan offered.

"Hey that's great," Greg said turning to Chris. "You have your own older live-in mature babysitter."

Ethan took the kids and headed down the hall before he was tempted to show the young smartass just how an older more mature person baby-sits a young foolish dumbass.

The kids and Ethan played until their bedtime, then he lay with each of them until they fell asleep. After they were asleep, Ethan could hear bits and pieces as occasionally Chris and Greg's voices rose in anger.

He heard Greg insist that she and the kids go with him that night, if nothing else, at least she should go spend the night with him. Finally Chris convinced him that she wasn't going anywhere with him and it was getting late.

"Ethan has to get up early to be at work. Call me tomorrow and I'll meet you in town and we can continue our talk there," she told him.

"Why don't I just come back here, that way the old man will be gone and we can say whatever we think and feel without worrying about him?" Greg pressed the issue.

"First off, Ethan is not an old man, he is only about eight years older than you. Second, it wouldn't look right and could get Ethan in trouble if you came back here. I'll meet you in town. We can talk there the same as we could here," she insisted.

After he heard the front door shut, Ethan returned to the living room.

"Guess you heard most of that?" Chris asked.

"A little," Ethan replied, "I'm glad you told him not to come back here. Sorry Chris, I'm very uncomfortable with him here."

"I understand," Chris replied, "There is no reason for it. I won't allow him to come back here."

Ethan could see she was stressed, "How about a game of gin?"

"Sorry, not tonight," Chris responded, "I'm wasted, going to crawl off to bed. See you tomorrow," she replied, moseying off to her bedroom without kissing him goodnight.

Ethan shut everything down, then sat in his recliner in the dark. That was his mood, dark. Chris hadn't missed kissing him goodnight since that night she kissed him on the cheek. Things had changed, he could feel it.


A scream, Ethan bolted up in bed and heard Chris dash across the hall shutting the kid's bedroom door as she started soothing the little one back to sleep. Glancing at his clock, he already knew it would be four a.m... It was the first nightmare either of the kids had since their second night there. 'Yep, ' he lay there thinking, 'things have changed, but not for the better.'


The next morning confirmed it, Ethan faced his first morning alone since Chris had asked for the alarm clock. His world grew darker by the minute.

After dressing, he headed out and stopped by the mess hall. His crew was shocked, it had been so long since he had been at breakfast with them, but they knew just by looking something was wrong. They didn't ask.

Ethan didn't eat breakfast, he just sat quietly sipping his coffee, not even hearing the war stories his crew were telling as they joked and laughed about their latest female encounters. He was lost in his own little world.


The kids woke Chris up as they crawled in bed with her. 'Oh my God, what time is it. I forgot to set my alarm, ' she thought as she bailed out of bed. 'Damn, Ethan is already gone.'

Then it dawned on her, 'Oh shit, I didn't kiss him good night and I missed breakfast with him.' She started to cry as she imagined what he must be thinking and feeling. 'But he is wrong... or is he... if so, then why didn't I think of those things last night. Shouldn't he be the most important thing in my life next to my kids? Damn.'

As Chris got up to fix her kids breakfast, she realized, "One way or the other, I have to deal with Greg today. At this rate I will end up losing them both, and I definitely don't want that to happen.'


"Wrap it and let's roll," Ethan told his crew as they packed up and piled out for work. Their work order for today was some repairs at the stables. As Ethan looked over the list, he calculated with a little luck, they could complete everything in one day.

Upon arriving at the stables, Ethan immediately started placing each man on projects best suited for their talents and skills. That was one of the things that made him such a good crew chief, knowing and utilizing each member of his crew to maximize their efficiency.

Coming around a corner, he passed two grooms talking and laughing.

While checking out a nearby stall repair where a horse had broken some boards with a sound kick, he couldn't help overhearing one of the grooms, named Raoul making a bold but indecent brag.

"Yea, I finally nailed that Amber bitch, that's classy stuff. She was a virgin, bled like a stuffed pig and squealed like one too but loved every minute of it. Hope the boss never finds out, he might fire my ass for taping his private stock. Probably spoiled his plans all to hell, I bet Richard thought he was saving that cherry for a special night."

Raoul looked very surprised when Ethan came out and grabbed him by the upper arm half dragging him back into the stall as he said, "Come here a minute, I need to talk to you."

After tossing him up against a wall, Ethan slammed his open palm into the center of Raoul's chest. "Look asshole, I don't know if what you are saying is true or not and I don't care. But if I ever hear you breathe another word about Miss Amber, you won't walk out of here. Do we understand each other?"

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.