In My Life - Cover

In My Life

Copyright© 2006 by Harddaysknight

Chapter 1B

At the breakfast table, Emerson began questioning Miguel, who sat at the head of the table. "Senor, a ranch this size usually has more than three hands, although I'll admit these eat enough for six. Do they also do the work of six?"

With that, all three turned their attention to Emerson. Old Pedro, who he vaguely remembered from the past, had grown heavy and slow. His dark eyes showed no emotion and he returned to his meal.

The man called Shorty, and it seemed every ranch had one, gave a quick grin, but never missed a mouthful. He seemed to have some humor and gave the impression of competence.

The third hand, introduced as Ray Brown, merely glanced at Emerson and went back to eating. He appeared to be a typical drifter, not working too hard and ready to move on.

"This ranch has had as many as a dozen vaqueros. I should have more than three," Miguel responded. "Just over two years ago, a wealthy man named Tom Taylor bought the Morgan ranch. Joe Morgan was a fine man. As you know, the town was named after him. After Mrs. Morgan died and Joe's health began to fail, he decided to sell out and move to Santa Fe, near his daughter."

"This Taylor immediately stopped anyone from driving their herd through Blanco Pass, which is the only access to Santa Fe, and controlled by the Morgan ranch, now the Lazy T. Joe Morgan had filed on the land at the base of the pass, and now Taylor owns it. He backs his legal right with enough toughs to make it stick. A couple of small ranches near Taylor have already sold out to him. He has made it very clear he would be interested in buying any and all ranches in the basin, at a low price, of course. We are denied access to our market. Most ranches have reduced the number of riders. With no income, it is difficult to keep any help."

As he listened to Miguel, Emerson saw what a simple, but effective plan Taylor had devised. The only flaw would be an alternate route to Santa Fe. "Isn't there some other trail? Didn't the old timers have another drive they could make, or is my memory off?"

"Pat Casey put a trail herd on the Benson Trail, as it was known, last year when Taylor closed Blanco. Three men were killed and almost four hundred head run off before they were half way to Santa Fe. Lack of water was a serious problem, but Pat felt they were overcoming that."

" Then one morning Bob Gustin and his gang of cutthroats rode into camp and told Casey they wanted to cut his herd for strays. Of course Pat would have none of that since Gustin owned no cattle to begin with. It was simple robbery. Gustin and his men rode out, but that night they hit the herd. Between the stampede and the gunplay, Casey was lucky to bring as many men back as he did. No one has had the nerve to try it again."

Emerson knew that Pat Casey would not have given up easily. It must have been some fight! Could Taylor pull this off so simply? This was why Emerson had been sent back home by his uncle. He was expected to help, but how?

Emerson spent the next two days riding the range. There were about ten ranches in a large oval basin. Blanco Pass could be seen from most locations in the basin, sitting between two mountains on the west. Travel to the south was rare with rough country and dessert extending for hundreds of miles. To the east was a mountain range, eliminating any chance of cattle traveling that way. The old Benson Trail wound its way through the broken country to the North. Lack of water and the presence of riffraff made this an unattractive route.

There was water and good graze in the basin, as long as it was controlled properly. Everywhere Emerson rode, however, he saw the signs of overgrazing. It could be a very difficult winter if the ranchers didn't trim their herds.

Emerson considered the situation. The ranches in the basin were mostly family operations. People with children and other responsibilities were usually reluctant to gamble, especially when it could endanger their families. These people had built to last and deserved the opportunity to peacefully pursue their interests. He had learned that men still had to be prepared to fight to keep what was theirs. How much would the ranchers be willing to risk?

He had seen Lazy T riders patrolling the boundaries with the other ranches. Occasionally, he came across a drift fence Taylor's men had put up. Obviously, Taylor did not want his lands overgrazed. The Lazy T was a well run operation, with hopes of expanding at the expense of its neighbors.

In the afternoon of the second day, Emerson found a small water hole, shared by Miguel and the KC. It had been walked in by numerous cattle that watered there, and was badly in need of a cleaning. This was the sort of chore hands rode miles to avoid. Emerson found a pick and shovel in the rocks nearby, left there for that very purpose.

Hard work had never frightened him, so he grabbed the tools and began cleaning the spring. As he worked he felt pleasure in the sun on his back, and the sweat the effort created. Emerson peeled off his shirt. His back and chest, already tanned from years at sea, glistened. Completely absorbed in his task, he never heard the two riders approach. As he turned to place a large rock to the side he realized he had spectators.

"Well, don't let us stop you. It sure is a pleasure to watch a man work!" It was Cathy Jordan speaking and she was enjoying Emerson's embarrassment as she looked at him with obvious approval.

The other rider was Maria. She sat her mare, looking from the cleaned water hole to the pile of debris he had just removed. Emerson was unable to read her expression, but Cathy Jordan seemed to understand his.

"It isn't very flattering, the way you glanced at me and stared at Maria, although I should be used to it. Don't forget she hates you, if that were possible. I never realized the sea put so much muscle on a man, not to mention a tan." Cathy was laughing now, as Maria colored at her words.

Emerson found himself laughing as well. This girl from Texas was direct! "And I never dreamed that life on a cattle ranch made girls so pretty. I've sailed to many ports and never saw anything to match this! You girls are the best."

Surprised, Maria looked down at Emerson. "Do you mean for a half-breed, as you used to call me?" She saw him wince and enjoyed it. At the same time, she thought how she never had been able to hurt him in their youth. What was the difference now?

"Maria, I said a lot of things I never meant, to a lot of people. For that I am sorry. What is past is gone. I can't change it, as much as I would like to. It will never happen again."

Maria sat her horse looking at Emerson. He had returned to Morgantown so different. Cleaning this water hole was something most riders would avoid. Emerson stood with perspiration trickling down his chest, and Maria realized she had never seen a better looking man. That fact caused her anger to return. It wasn't right that someone so miserable should seem so good. He spent much of his time making apologies for past behavior. Could he be so different now?

Turning her horse, Maria called back, "It seems that apologizing is very easy for you. Time will tell how sincere you are."

Cathy Jordan sat her horse, looking down at Emerson. "You two must have had some time of it when you were kids. She is always so nice to everyone else." With that she hurried off to catch up with Maria.

Cathy trotted along side Maria in silence for a half mile. Never at a loss for words, Cathy spoke as they slowed their mounts to a walk. "Your Emerson Trask sure seems to be the genuine article to me. Did you see how tanned and strong he is? He sure seems sweet on you!"

Maria swung around to face Cathy, an angry answer on her lips. As usual, Cathy's infectious smile caused Maria to soften.

"He is not my Emerson and having a tan and being strong doesn't mean he is a good person. We have never liked each other and we never will. Please don't bring him up again."

"Maria, I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. I have never seen you behave like this before. I've seen you cool to men, but not hostile. I think you are afraid of Emerson, and your feelings for him. I wonder what happened between the two of you?"

"He was very cruel and ridiculed me because of my Spanish ancestry. I certainly don't find that attractive!"

"Maria, I know you just looked at the same man I did. He is amazing! You never mentioned how great he looked. I can see how he could break hearts. How old were you when he left? Fourteen? It must have been terrible. If he were paying attention to me and suddenly left the country, I would be heart broken. I wouldn't make it a secret through. Everyone would know. Boys always tease the girls they like. They are too shy to admit how they feel. If he called you names, it was probably because he was in love with you."

Maria felt her eyes water as Cathy spoke. Looking straight ahead she simply replied, "He went too far if that were the case, which I doubt."

The two girls rode in silence for a time. Maria was thinking about what she had just seen. Emerson was doing a difficult job that would benefit her family as well as his. Cathy was right about how strong and tanned he was. Could the new Emerson be for real? Could he be trusted? Maria wondered what differences Emerson's return would cause in her life.

Maria admitted to herself that she had to make a real effort to not like Emerson. Her old emotions kept coming near the surface. If anything, it was worse because of Emerson's matured character. He had always been good looking. Now he was a powerful man with a quick smile and pleasant personality. Still, Maria had doubts. Could a man change that much?

Maria knew she would have to always remind herself of the terrible things he had said. She never again wanted to go through the misery and heartache she had suffered when Emerson left Morgantown.

She was very popular and had many suitors. Why did she feel such an attraction to a man that had broken her heart once. Thinking back, Maria remembered how young she had been, but age hadn't changed it. Just seeing Emerson caused her pain. At the same time, it thrilled her. She would have to be very careful to control her emotions around him.

That evening Emerson spoke to Miguel as they were having dinner. "I have been riding over the range and it is clear that this basin is overstocked. Since the pass is legally closed to us, I suggest we take the Benson Trail as soon as possible. I see no choice. The winter could be a real disaster. I propose we get as many other ranchers as possible to throw in with us and take one large herd. Also, I want to ramrod this venture."

Shorty looked at Emerson as he spoke, and turned to watch Miguel respond. Pedro still showed no emotion, while Ray Brown turned red and almost choked.

Miguel looked over at his wife. She sat very still. Turning to Emerson he replied, "What you are suggesting would be very dangerous. I don't know if anyone would join us, but I think some men would die."

"Miguel, I believe many would throw in with us, simply because they have no options left. That would give us a sizable force and a reasonable chance to succeed. Say the word and I'll start working on it tomorrow. You'll be able to take care of the ranch while we're gone."

"I know you mean no disrespect, but I could not remain here while others attempted this trip. We make this journey together!"

As Miguel spoke he reached over and squeezed his wife's hand. For her part, Molly Hernandez knew it had been decided and began to make her plans. She felt fear for her men, but would not add to their burden by questioning their decision.

"I'll start getting things together for the chuck wagon in the morning," was her only comment.

Ray Brown had heard enough. "Is everybody here crazy? We'd all get killed! You can just count us out."

Shorty had been quiet, but now he spoke. "Ray, I don't remember asking you to talk for me. You were happy enough when the work was easy and the food good. If you lack the sand, quit, but don't try to run my life. I wouldn't miss this trip for anything."

Brown stood up, his face swollen with rage. "You talk tough now but you'll change your tune when you're looking up Gustin's gun barrel! I'll have no part in this!" With that he stomped outside.

"Boss." It was Shorty again. "I'll miss that hombre about as much as I miss that boil I had last year. We're better off without him. He wasn't much of a worker."

Miguel had already dismissed Ray Brown's departure. "Shorty, tomorrow, we get ready for a quick round-up. We'll gather as many steers and older stuff as we can find in a hurry. Emerson, it's your show. Get as many ranches as you can to join us. Be sure to see Jordans, Caseys, Robinsons, and anyone else that's interested. Let's plan on leaving one week from tomorrow."

Daybreak saw a bustle of activity on the ranch. Shorty and Pedro began the many chores which needed to be done before the round-up could begin. Emerson's mother and Miguel prepared a list of provisions that would be needed and readied the old wagon that would serve as the chuck wagon on the drive.

Emerson saddled up after breakfast and headed for the KC, satisfied everyone on Miguel's MM would soon be prepared for the round-up. It was still early when he arrived at Casey's spread. Like Miguel's, it wasn't large but everything was kept in good shape. Flowers along the house were testimony to the female presence.

As Emerson approached Pat Casey stepped onto the porch and greeted him. "Hello, Emerson. Climb down and have a seat." With that Pat dropped into a chair on the porch and indicated another for his visitor.

Emerson brushed the dust from his clothes, climbed the steps, and took his place along side Pat Casey. Emerson realized Pat was waiting for him to speak, so he began. "Mr. Casey, you have some fine looking stock. In fact, I'd say you have too many. Your range is as sparse as Miguel's, and it could lead to a difficult winter."

"I'm afraid you got up awful early to ride all the way over here to tell me something I already know." Pat Casey wasn't one to beat around the bush. "I imagine there is more."

"Mr. Casey, the MM is going to spend a week gathering a trail herd to push over the Benson Trail to Santa Fe. We are asking you and the other ranchers shut off from the Blanco Pass to join us." As Emerson finished, he heard a gasp from the doorway and realized Maria had been listening. She stepped onto the porch and watched her father.

Maria had seen Emerson riding up and wondered what had prompted this early morning visit. Was he on business or was it social? If it was a social call, was he there to see her? She quickly checked her hair and smoothed her blouse with her hands.

Carmella had also seen Emerson's approach and watched her daughter quickly freshen up in the mirror. Maria saw her mother watching her. With no further word, Maria went to stand by the door to listen to the two men who were now seated on the porch.

Deep in thought, Pat Casey looked out over his range. Finally, he turned to Emerson. "You're biting off a lot. I tried it once, and failed. It's bothered me ever since, but I haven't done anything about it I don't know much about you, but you've got the right idea. With the right men it could be done, and there is really no choice. You and Miguel can count on the KC being ready to hit the trail, and this time we'll be ready for Gustin!"

Emerson realized he had been holding his breath, waiting for Pat Casey's reply. He was needed if this drive were to have any chance. "I'm glad you feel that way, sir. We'll try to hit the trail one week from tomorrow. I have to see the others today. With you in, I think they'll join."

"Just a minute!" It was Maria and both men could see the fire in her eyes. "Let me ask a few questions. Who will be in charge? What about Gustin's gang? They will know you're coming and be ready. How will you get by them? How many men will die?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.