The Angry Whore - Book 1
Chapter 29: Search

Copyright© 2006 by POL

3 September, 1686 Dusk

When Dancort had been thrown overboard and hurled into the bay he came up on the top of the small waves, struggling and panting for breath. With the encumbrance of his thick, heavy clothing, and one broken arm he exerted all his strength just trying to remain above water.

Just when he felt he was unable to tread water any longer he felt himself being hauled through the sea toward a small boat, and then finally hoisted inside. Looking up Dancort saw Cog. The look on Cog's face asked the question, "Are you hurt?"

"A little hurt," Dancort answered out of breath, "I think my arm is broken... but Bass... he's taken the Maidens Revenge!"

Cog shook his head trying to understand.

Dancort painfully sat up then told Cog how Bass and his men had come aboard, taken him by surprise and then used him as a hostage in order to get Constance and Teresa to lay down their weapons under the threat of slitting his throat, and then of him being thrown overboard.

Cog made the hand sign signifying Aba to which Dancort sighed sadly, "I'm sorry to have to tell you this, my friend... but Aba's almost certainly no more. I saw him lying on the deck atop two pirates he had single handedly dispatched. He gave a good account of himself that much was obvious."

Learning of his friend's death affected Cog grievously but he could not dwell on it, there were other matters needing attending too. He made the sign representing a woman.

"It was plainly obvious to me that Bass intended on taking both of them alive," Dancort answered, "They're save enough for now I believe... but later on, who can know."

Cog picked up the oars and it became apparent to Dancort that he intended on rowing toward the Maidens Revenge. Placing his good hand over Cog's to stop him Dancort said, "Going to the ship now shall only succeed in getting us both killed and will do little good for Constance or Teresa. You are but one man and I am with only one good arm. We are well hidden enough within this fog, let's wait and watch a little while longer, remember if Bass hasn't learned the truth concerning how I locked the wheel he will not be able to sail the Maidens Revenge out of this harbor."

Cog nodded, acknowledging the wisdom in Dancort's words.

They did not have long to wait, little more that a half hour later they watched as seven pirates along with two women boarded a longboat which then was rowed out toward the open sea.

Watching the small craft leaving Cog held both of his hands palms up questionably.

"I'm not sure," Dancort answered just as confused, "I guess that could be the lot of them. They must have a ship anchored outside the bay somewhere. I can only surmise that after finding the Maidens Revenge wasn't going anywhere with her tiller locked they decided to return to their own ship taking Constance and Teresa prisoner with them. Being so few I can only assume they felt it prudent to leave before our crew returned."

Cog had come to the same conclusion and had already begun rowing toward the Maidens Revenge even before Dancort had finished his conjecture.

Once Cog had the Jollyboat along side the larger ship he cautiously climbed aboard. A quick look around and he discovered two dead pirates laying on the deck halfway between the crew quarters and the Captains cabin then to his right he finally spotted his friend Aba. Rushing to where Aba lay atop the two dead pirates he knelt down and placed his hand on the side of the big man neck. Much to his astonishment, but even more to his delight, he felt a weak yet steady pulse.

Rushing back to where Dancort waited in the Jollyboat Cog climbed down and then with Dancort holding on to him with his good arm Cog climbed back up the side bringing Dancort aboard with him. Once they were on deck Cog rushed Dancort over to Aba.

After examining Aba the carpenter smiled, "This friend of yours is one hard man. He's been stabbed a number of times, has had his throat cut and even been hit over the head with that belaying pin over there, yet still he breathes. I think he'll live."

Cog smiled with relief.

"Do you think you can drag him over to his cot if I help as much as I can with this arm as it is?" Dancort asked.

Enthusiastically Cog nodded affirmation.

Though slow and difficult because of the man's size and weight eventually they managed to get Aba onto his cot, then Dancort instructed Cog on how to set and then wrap a splint around his broken arm. Now with his arm reset and bound Dancort began treating Aba's wounds while Cog dumped the bodies of the four dead pirates overboard.

After having disposed of the bodies Cog entered the forecastle to find Dancort still working on Aba's wounds. Dancort looked up from his work and smiled, "Not to worry my friend, the worst has not come to worst and Aba will yet see another sunrise. Now allow me see to your friend here and you hurry off and find Captain O' Daire and the others so that we might go in search of Constance and Teresa as quickly as possible."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.