Prototype Ten - Cover

Prototype Ten

Copyright© 2005 by Shakes Peer2B

Chapter 13

The erstwhile Imam fell bonelessly to the floor of the mosque, spilling blood from multiple bullet wounds. The crowd stared in bewilderment at the two Americans who, without seeming to do anything, had turned his followers against him. As one, they surged forward, murder on their minds, only to be stopped as if by a giant hand.

Without words, each of them 'heard' the words of the Americans. You, and these men, have been mislead. This man deliberately took advantage of the fact that you came to him to interpret the Quran. He lied when he told you that it was good to wage war against women and children. These men are angry because they were made to do horrible things, thinking that Allah was with them. You would do well to consider what they know.

As the words filled their heads, the images from the Imam's mind accompanied them in a way that left no doubt of the truth of the words. A great wail arose from the crowd, and from the cleric's murders. No one noticed when the Americans disappeared, as if by magic.

Will slumped tiredly onto his sleeping bag. More and more lately, this cave, which had been their home for more than two years, was feeling too small and cramped. There was plenty of room, and though they had added some things to make it a more comfortable abode, it was still a hole in the ground.

So where do we go from here? Nine asked. It had become easier to communicate mind to mind than to speak, especially when they were tired, and Will answered in the same way.

I don't know, Nine. Will answered. It doesn't seem to matter how many terrorists we foil, get killed, or convince that they're on the wrong path. More of them pop up every day. Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and all the other 'stans are just the tip of the iceberg. There's still Malaysia and the African states, not all of which are Muslim, who are churning out mad bombers faster than we can keep up with them. There's got to be a better way.

It's beginning to look like we're not doing the world any favors, Ten. Nine mused. For every terrorist group we get rid of, two more pop up somewhere else. I tell you, as long as the US and its allies are perceived to be trampling on the little countries, there's not going to be any stopping them.

Yeah, well, the governments of those countries aren't helping any. Will replied. You'd think with the relief from terrorist threats that we've given 'em they could come up with some social programs that would help alleviate the pressure on the people who feel the need to resort to this kind of thing, but instead they keep doing things as they've always done. Shit! I'm not naive enough to think that even if the US and other Western nations suddenly had a change of heart and started acting like citizens of the planet instead of asshole imperialists, all terrorism would stop. Over time, however, opinions would begin to change and it would become harder for these groups to recruit members.

So what's the answer? Nine asked dejectedly.

I don't know, Tina. Let me think about it some, okay? Will replied. He couldn't hide his own feelings from the person who had shared his mind for the last couple of years, but he was damned if he was going to admit defeat just yet.

Silence fell in the dimness of the cave, broken only by the furtive scurrying of small animals and the occasional drip of water. For long moments the two sat, lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly, as if making up her mind about something, Nine arose and moved to where Will sat on his sleeping bag. She settled beside him, fitting her body to his.

"Nine? Tina?" Will asked, concerned. "What's going on?"

I'm fucking horny as hell, you big lug! She told him with a laugh. And I've had this like, humongous crush on you ever since you saved me from Eight. I know you've been in mourning for your wife and little girl, but I think it's about time you moved on, don't you?

Will, stunned, sat for a moment staring at his partner, unsure of his own feelings. He had been so focussed, he realized, that the thought of female companionship had not even occurred to him. Then another thought struck him: Part of the reason it had not become a pressing need was that Nine - Tina - had been there at his side. He had taken her presence and her support more or less for granted. Now he realized that she had been providing him with everything he needed - except sex.

"Will?" Tina said, in a more timid voice than he had ever heard from her. "Please say something, or at least open up and let me know what you're thinking! I'm dyin' here!"

Sorry, Tina. Will 'told' her, realizing he had shut her out in his shock. I've just been so buried in what we were doing that I never realized I was just taking you for granted. You've been a rock, and as for the other part...

She felt it in his mind before her grasping hand found his growing erection. Their coupling had little resemblance to the tender lovemaking he had shared with Karen. It was raw and passionate, and when it was over, they did it again, and yet a third time, each time a little different, but every time explosive. When, finally, they settled back onto his sleeping bag, Tina's head resting on his shoulder, Will shook his head.

"I quit smoking years ago," he said. "but I could sure use a cigarette now!"

"Not me." Tina replied. "I've got something else in mind..."

"Have mercy on a poor, broken old man, you brazen hussy!" Will laughed. "I'm out of practice, and even with these enhanced muscles you've worn me out!"

"Poor, broken old man my ass!" Tina joined in his laughter. "I'm gonna be walking bowlegged for a week!"

They lay in contented silence for a long time, and soon Will heard Tina's breathing slow and deepen with sleep. His own mind wouldn't slow down. He had no problems with their tryst. In fact, he felt that Karen would approve. The previous topic of conversation, however, still caromed around his consciousness like a wayward billiard ball. Finally, Will settled on a course of action. He could feel the futility of it even as he decided to try anyway. At least he would be able to say he had given it his best effort.

Sleep, eventually, took him, and with the warmth of Tina's body draped over his side, so much like Karen's, but so different, he slept dreamlessly. Hours later, he awoke dreamily to a wonderful, slippery warmth at his groin. Peering sleepily downward, he watched affectionately as his lover's head moved langorously over his rapidly rising manhood. Their coupling this time held none of the passionate urgency of the earlier session, but ended, almost an hour later, with the same explosive fury.

You've made up your mind. Tina 'said', nestling her dark haired head once again on his shoulder. This is going to be fun!

I hope you're right! He chuckled. At least, we have to make the effort, but I think we should do some research first.

With time, familiarity, and practice, their abilities had grown. Since he had developed the knack of extrapolating the positional energy characteristics for almost any location on the globe, it had become second nature for Will to send his mental energy ahead to refine the rough positioning and select a specific location for teleportation. Within seconds he could locate and 'move' to anywhere on Earth with pinpoint accuracy. He could also locate and mentally search any such location without moving from where he was.

Nine's powers, too, had grown. She could now teleport several miles at a time, and with Will's help in locating the person, could read a mind anywhere on the globe. Between the two of them, they infiltrated the hallowed halls of gevernment in Washington D.C. while remaining safely ensconced in their cave.

The task was even more daunting upon closer examination. There were long-standing traditions of corruption, bribery, and money passed under the table. Most of the politicians, it seemed, had started out with high ideals, but had succumbed to the pressures of the election process. Without money, one could not get elected. Having taken the money, once elected, considerations were owed. Others, however, were in it for the money and the power they could wield. Whether they had begun their careers that way was often lost in the haze of memory, but after decades in office, those who survived knew the ins and outs of the political process. They knew exactly what buttons to push to get the money dispenser to hand out wads of unreportable income, for themselves and for their campaigns.

At first, Will thought they might make a difference just by finding a way to finance campaigns without applying political pressure to those financed, but the problem was more complex than that. Finding a legal way to get the money into the hands of those who needed it was going to be tough. Assuring a means of managing the funds so that no political pressure would ever be expressed or implied was even harder. Then there was the problem of what to do with those who were incorrigably corrupt. Once these problems were ameliorated somewhat, there would still be the issue of how to make a benevolent foreign policy of sufficiently high priority to accomplish what was needed.

Even assuming they could accomplish these things with the US Government, there were other governments to deal with. It was by no means assured that, even if the US changed its policies sufficently, her allies and global partners would go along. That meant that Will and Tina would have to do their arm-twisting on an international scale, just to get the ball rolling. Then they would have the governments of the countries needing help to deal with, many of which were even more corrupt than those of the richer nations.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.