Ellen
Chapter 42: Cousin Lucas

Copyright© 2005 by Argon

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 42: Cousin Lucas - This is set twenty years after the events of "In the Navy". The lives of Anthony Carter and his family are turned topsy-turvy by the arrival of Ellen, a young shepherdess. Follow the lives of the Carters and their friends and relatives during the late regency era and explore foreign countries and cultures with them. History is not necessarily dry! Winner of the 2021 Classic Clitoris Award.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   mt/ft   Fa/ft   Teenagers   Consensual   Romantic   Rape   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Tear Jerker   First   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Petting  

With December approaching, Richard and Ellen prepared for another journey. The opening of the first steam railroad in Germany was scheduled in Nuremberg on December 7. Richard and Ellen were invited not only to attend, but to sit in the royal carriage with the King, the Prime Minister, and the mayors of Nuremberg and Fuerth.

It was a festive affair; a military band was playing and children choirs were singing. King Ludwig personally opened the steam valve that set the Eagle locomotive in motion. The train started along the four-and-a-half miles of track and when they reached Fuerth there was yet another crowd and another military band.

King Ludwig was very pleased when the people along the track cheered him and for a day the citizens of both cities could use the train for free whilst the King and his court adjoined to the Nuremberg castle for a celebratory dinner.

Two days later, after two long and cold days spent on a coach, Richard and Ellen returned to Munich. They knew that it would be their last Christmas in Bavaria. The Foreign Office had already notified Richard that his successor, Lord Willoughby, would arrive in early summer.

The mail they received also contained letters from Eleanor and from Old Lady Lambert. Whilst the latter seemed to be in good health and awaiting Harriet and Anthony Carter’s impending return from the Mediterranean, Eleanor’s letter troubled Ellen. There was no cheerfulness in her letter and she complained about Antonio being demanding of her and short of temper. Ellen could not imagine that the Antonio she knew could ever be short tempered around Eleanor and she wrote back letters to Lady Lambert and Doña Maria asking them for more information.

The Christmas of that year was not at all like the one a year before. It had been cold in the preceding days, but on Christmas Eve a drizzling rain fell on the cold ground, freezing immediately and creating a solid layer of ice on everything. After testing the frozen ground outside, Richard decided to cancel their attendance at the church service. There was no use in breaking bones and riding the coach with its iron tyres would be too dangerous.

They spent the holidays holed up at home and Ellen had to admit that there was some merit to a day spent without outside visits.

Marie had overcome her embarrassment around Richard. At first, after the incident when she barged into their bedroom and found Richard and Ellen in flagranti delicto, she was terribly shy around him, blushing constantly and mumbling unintelligibly. Fortunately, in the enforced closeness over the Christmas days, she relaxed and returned to being almost her old self.

The invitation to the royal New Year’s Ball brought back sad memories. Marie had to stay at home and Ellen felt lost among the other guests. It was a stiff and uninspired affair anyway. There was no motto this time and all the guests arrived in their most formal attire. The gaiety of the year before was notably absent.

Richard and Ellen left shortly after the New Year had been greeted with a splendid fireworks. When they arrived at their mansion Marie was still up. She had spent the evening with James and Maddie Palmer. Richard and Ellen toasted the New Year with their friends before they finally went to bed.

They had to get up early, to attend the reception at the Archduke Josef’s palace. Isabelle Delatour was there too. She had lasted longer in the Archduke’s favour than any woman before her and Ellen had heard whispered rumours that the beautiful actress was secretly engaged to the cousin of the Austrian King and German Emperor and that they planned a morganatic marriage. The Archduke was his usual jovial self and Ellen quite enjoyed the reception. Yet, Isabelle Delatour was the only person to ask Ellen how Marie was faring and Ellen thanked her with a hug for her caring.

She saw some scandalised looks after that, but she hardly cared. It was strange, but the impending end of Richard’s appointment relieved her. She yearned to return to her previous life, to her friends and relatives. She missed Lucy, she missed Richard’s grandmother, and she missed her circle of friends. It would be good to return.

The next weeks were an endless sequence of balls leading up to the climax of the carnival. Richard had to show presence at all these events and Ellen valiantly danced through them until she literally became sick and tired of waltzing.

That year, the arrival of Lent was welcomed and the Carters were able to rest and spend some time with their children. Not that Tony and Siobhan were hurting for loving care. Confined as she was to their home, Marie had spent a large part of her days with the children and ‘Aunt Marie’ had become a fixture in their lives.

A heavy snow fall late in the season confined them to their house for almost three days except for excursions into the garden. Tony would play in the snow for hours building snowmen and he wore out the adults who supervised him.

The embassy did not require much of Richard’s time in those days. He spent most days with the children, but also with Ellen. He shared her disenchantment with the life in Munich and they made plans for the time after their return to England.

Richard also spent an hour every day in the close-by barracks of the Royal Cavalry. He had found a worthy fencing partner in Count Hohenstedt’s son, Major Friedrich Hohenstedt. Richard practised daily on the planche, often with the Major, but also with other officers. At first they were astounded at the sword skills displayed by a civilian, but they soon became used to his presence, and he was frequently invited to the regiment’s social gatherings. For Richard, fencing was a sport he enjoyed and it served to keep him from getting fat over the winter.

In the week leading to Palm Sunday, snow was still covering the ground outside and the temperatures still hovered around the freezing point. Nobody who could help it travelled in this weather and the Carters were therefore surprised to see a travel coach drive up to their front steps. The man who alighted from the coach wore the uniform of the French infantry.

Ellen had a chance to watch the man as he stood on the front stairs rapping the door with his sword hilt. She had never seen the man before, but she knew him instantly. It had to be Marie’s brother, Lucas de Chaunessy, as the French branch of the family called themselves. Ellen was relieved that Richard was at home to receive the visitor and she joined her husband in the entrance hall.

“Good day, Sir!” the man said curtly. “Am I speaking with Lord Lambert?”

He spoke English as if its usage was soiling his mouth.

“Indeed, you are. With whom do I have the pleasure?”

The man smiled. It was curious for Ellen to realise that the man’s features, so similar to Marie’s and probably her own, were not attractive at all. The soft, effeminate face gave an impression of cruelty and malignancy.

“I am Capitaine Lucas de Chaunessy. I came to bring my sister home.”

Richard bowed perfunctorily and turned to Ellen.

“Ellen, my dear, this is Marie’s brother.”

Ellen began to curtsey, but noticing that the man did not show any signs of bowing, she kept her knees straight and nodded at the man with the most bored expression she could muster.

“May I trouble you to ask your cousin whether she wishes to see her brother?”

“That is not a point of debate,” Lucas de Chaunessy declared. “As I said before, I came to pick her up. I am the head of our family.”

“While I won’t question your latter statement, Monsieur, we shall have to see about the former,” Richard replied. There was an edge to his voice now.

Ellen saw Lucas’ face turn dark with anger and an icy feeling of foreboding washed over her. She nodded and turned to walk up the stairs.

Ellen found Marie white as a sheet and close to tears. She clutched Ellen’s hand imploringly.

“Please, don’t make me go with him, Ellen! Please! I couldn’t stand it. I’d rather kill myself, I swear!”

Ellen hugged her cousin. “Never fear, Marie. Do you wish to see him, or should I tell him that you will not come with him?”

Collecting all her strength, Marie braced herself.

“I shall tell him myself.”

She stood and wanted to start downstairs, but Ellen held her back.

“One moment, my dear,” she said, going into her bedroom. From a drawer there she took the double-barrelled, rifled percussion cap pistol that Richard had once purchased for her for travelling the Egyptian desert. With care, she inspected the seat of the firing caps and tucked the pistol away behind her back and under the waistband of her skirt. With these preparations completed she rejoined Marie and together they walked downstairs.

“Ah, there she is! Pack your things, Marie, I’m taking you home!”

Lucas de Chaunessy did not make the slightest effort at being polite.

“I’m not coming with you, Lucas. I have my own means and I have decided to stay with Cousin Ellen and her husband.”

Marie had thrust her chin forward defying her erstwhile tormentor. Richard spoke up.

“You heard her, Monsieur de Chaunessy. You had better remove yourself from my house now!”

Rarely if ever had Ellen heard her husband speak in such a brusque way. She knew immediately that Richard was spoiling for an altercation and she was worried. If Richard insulted the man, and his last remark could be construed as being insulting, then de Chaunessy, as the aggrieved, would choose the weapons in a duel. In a flash she knew what to do and decided to goad her cousin.

“My husband is right. You are wasting your time. Why would a woman of breeding want to follow an uncouth person such as you have just proven yourself to be?”

She had flapped the red cloth and the bull obligingly charged.

“How dare you speak up, you spawn of a traitorous hussy! Siobhan O’Shaunessy betrayed our family when she married an Englishman. You are nothing but a ... mongrel!”

“Out of my house!” Richard shouted, red with fury. “You will hear from me and then we shall settle this affair!”

“Why not now?” de Chaunessy snarled, already unsheathing his sword.

Richard was unarmed and he retreated slightly, still staying between the intruder and the women. Ellen gripped the butt of the pistol and pulled it from her waistband. When she cocked it, the sound made Lucas de Chaunessy stop in his tracks. He stared at Ellen, a disdainful smile twitching in the corners of his mouth.

“Shall I just shoot him or would you rather settle the affair yourself, my dear?” Ellen asked Richard with as much indifference as she could muster whilst aiming at her cousin’s chest.

“I’d much rather address his insult in person,” Richard replied turning to their visitor. “Now remove yourself! I expect your seconds within a day!”

Lucas de Chaunessy appeared undecided. He was weighing his chances against Ellen. Just then a voice sounded behind him.

“I distinctly heard His Lordship ordering you to leave, Sir! Should you decide not to comply with his Lordship’s wishes, I shall feel compelled to shoot you.”

That was the longest speech they had ever heard out of Hogget, Richard’s manservant. He was standing behind de Chaunessy with a fowling piece levelled at the man. Caught in the potential crossfire, de Chaunessy finally sheathed his sword.

“You may expect my friend later today,” he spat, turning to leave.

“Unlike you, he will be welcome,” was Richard’s parting shot.

Whilst Lucas de Chaunessy was walking towards his coach, Ellen carefully uncocked her pistol.

“I should have shot him right away,” she said, still quite calm. “When he pulled his sword on you, I should have killed him, the coward!”

“Ellen, you must allow me to protect your honour,” Richard said softly. “It is my purpose in life to protect you, after all.”

His words were rewarded with a kiss.

“My hero!” Ellen smiled, determined not to unnerve him with the worries she began to feel.

“But ... zere will be a duel!” Marie exclaimed. “What if Lucas ... prevails?”

“Not against Richard!” Ellen replied forcefully. “Your foul brother will meet his fate before this week is over.” She turned to Richard. “Do not for a second contemplate to spare this man! I love you and need you. Marie needs you too for protection, far more than she needs to have a brother like that.”

Richard watched his wife and after an acknowledging nod to Hogget, he led both women into his study.

“I think it is time for me to hear the full truth. Marie, what are the issues between you and your brother? Ellen wouldn’t tell me, but I need to know.”

White as a sheet, Marie sat in a chair. She looked at Ellen for guidance.

“He has a right to know, Marie,” Ellen said softly.

“Lucas violated me when I was a girl. For three years, he took his liberties with me until my mother found out and married me off to Lucien.”

Marie sat with her head bent, not daring to look into Richard’s eyes. She did not see Richard’s pained expression, but she heard the growl of his voice.

“You were right, Ellen. That man is not worthy of any consideration.”

“Can you dictate the terms, dear?”

“Thanks to your interference, yes,” Richard answered. “You did that on purpose, didn’t you?”

Marie looked up to see Ellen nod.

“I knew whereto the situation was heading and I wanted him to insult me, so you would be the aggrieved party.”

“I have a smart wife,” Richard stated. “I better prepare for the worst though. Can you pass the word for James, dear? Regardless of how you think of me, I should really update my will.”

It took all of Ellen’s willpower not to break down in this moment. With an effort, she mustered an answer.

“I know you are only being careful, dear, and I love you for it.”

Taking Marie’s arm she left the study. Outside she sat down heavily on a chair, breathing away the tears that welled out of her eyes. Marie was at her side, helplessly stroking her cousin’s head.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.