P I and Magic Book II: The Gods Return
Chapter 31

Copyright© 2005 by Volentrin

My arm was tingling still, but at least I had the use of it. I reached down and picked up my sword. We all seemed at am impasse. Shaitan was slowly recovering from whatever effects my spell had on him, and Morning Star was still holding his side where my sword had sliced it open.

"Paul. You have grown much stronger. You are being affected by the power of Chaos. You must let it go before it destroys your mind," Morning Star told me.

"Right. Then I will 'lay me down', and let you kill me as you please? Uh uh. I ain't buying," I told him grimly.

"Look, you are right in that this gate has been destroyed. Even the pattern has been obliterated. Perhaps it is best you go after all," Morning Star said, with a look at the place where the gate had stood.

I didn't want to hear it. I was feeling great! My arm was almost back to normal, and the power of Chaos was flowing into, and through me. It was filling me with enough power to do just about anything!

I threw back my head and laughed! Give up now, just when I proved I could hurt him? Well, betray me, and you get what you bargain for.

"What deal did you enter into with the Ancients?" I asked curiously.

"It matters not. The gate and pattern for it is gone. Even I cannot reclaim that which is no more," Morning Star said with a sigh.

"Well call me peculiar, but you had entered into a deal with me, and broke it when it suited you! People warned me about making deals with demons. I had assumed you would try to trick me, but to out and out break your word? I'm shocked," I told him with feigned astonishment.

"I understand your anger. We came to you, seeking help. I admit that we needed and wanted your help. Now, all is lost," Morning Star said with a sigh that seemed to echo forever.

"Well, that's what happens when you change sides, mid-battle. Things go to hell, no pun intended," I said sarcastically.

I was astonished at myself. Was that me talking like that? I would have at least kept a civil tongue in my head before, but now? Was the power of chaos really affecting me? I reached out, and stroked the power coursing though me.

I returned to my normal size. I looked around at everyone. Demons were drawn up in a loose battle line a few hundred paces from me. Morning Star was standing about 5 feet in front of me, holding his side. Shaitan had climbed back to his feet, and was off to one side to my left. All of us were more normal in size, now.

"It seems that the power has shifted from you to me," I said to them.

"Paul, this is not like you. You must withdraw from the Chaos, before it is too late," Shaitan said to me.

"Let's see. A demon of great power tells me I should not do something. What ever will I do?" I asked in a sneering voice.

"Paul, Think! Would you normally talk this way to me, or to Morning Star? No! You were ever a polite guest. Now you strut about, and expend power like you were one of your gods. Just think about it a moment, is all I ask," Shaitan said to me.

What was there to think about? I was doing what these damned demons wanted. Destroy the gate. I did not betray them, they betrayed me! I got angry all over again, just thinking about it, which caused the chaos in me to respond by feeding me more power!

I laughed and laughed. "You are unbelievable. You betray me, but then try to play on my humanity, and my sense of honor. Well, maybe I don't think you have to treat honorably with demons, particularly when they betray you!" I finished with a shout of rage.

I was about to level a blast at Morning Star, when something strange happened.

A great voice filled the world around me, and said <<ENOUGH!>>.

I looked around wildly. Both Morning Star and Shaitan had a look that I had never seen before. They appeared to have both hopeful, yet terrified looks on their faces. It was almost comical to see.

A great light of such purity as to make normal sunlight pale by comparison, came into being. The demons that were here, fled, screaming. Both Shaitan and Morning Star stayed, but moved closer together.

I looked into a circle of light, and saw someone walking towards us. While he seemed to be walking normally, I got the feeling he was walking through time and space, as easily as you or I would walk to the door and open it. I don't know why I thought that, but that was the impression.

As he got closer, he became more solid and real. He seemed to glow with an energy and reality that made my world, or any world I had been in, fade to a phantom ghost by comparison.

The sense of PRESENCE I got from the gods was manifesting itself, but it was on a whole level more than just PRESENCE! It was as if the center of the universe had just dropped in for a visit, and made itself known!

Finally, the being was before us. I tried to look at him, and was confounded by a blurring of my site. I directed the Chaos in me to my eyes, and my vision started to clear. Just as I was about to get a good look at his face, he reached out and brushed a finger across my forehead.

The Chaos vanished. All the power coursing through me was gone! I gasped, and fell to my knees! I was overwhelmed!

<<ENOUGH, MY CHILDREN. PAUL, YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED MUCH, BUT THE POWER YOU HAD WAS NOT MEANT FOR THE HUMAN MIND. I HAVE TAKEN FROM YOU THE BURDEN THAT SHABASONTI GAVE YOU. THIS IS DONE.

<< I RETURN THE REMAINING ANCIENTS, TO THAT PLACE IN WHICH I BANISHED THEM SO LONG AGO. THEY HAVE NOT YET LEARNED. SO, THIS TOO IS DONE.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.