In the Navy - Cover

In the Navy

Copyright© 2005/2020 to Argon

Chapter 23: A Case of High Treason

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 23: A Case of High Treason - The story of a young officer, Anthony Carter, in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Inspired by the novels by C.S. Forester. First in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Military   Oral Sex  

Tony did not see Harriet again before the Asia weighed anchor, three days later. His wounds were healing and causing him but little discomfort. He let Mr. Dougherty handle the ship until they cleared the Thames estuary. The north-westerly wind allowed them to sail close-hauled through the Channel, bearing for Quessant, off the French coast line. Past Quessant, they continued on their course to win enough westerly way before they went about and sailed to north-northeast leading them past the Isles of Scilly. They made it to Ramsey Island, off the Welsh west coast, before they had to go about again, heading west. Another noth-northeastern leg brought them close to Holyhead, and from there, they had a clean run for Dublin.

It was April, and they encountered some high winds and squalls, but on the whole, the journey went without adverse events.

At Dublin harbour, they found the rest of the flotilla. The frigates Mersey and Ulysses were veterans of the Channel fleet, and their captains welcomed the patrol tasks over the blockade duty they had performed over the last years. The Clotho was a flush-decked, ship-rigged sloop of 22 guns, a sixth rate with a post captain in command, and quite new. She would fill in for either frigate when they had to be relieved of their position.

At Dublin, Tony also received Harriet’s first letter. She had written it the day after Fanning’s dinner. She mostly told him of the children. Harriet had considered hiring a tutor for Emily, but she had decided to teach her the rudiments of writing herself, along with Jenny. Ellie, the nurse, was suffering from a cold she had caught from Emily, but Little Richard had so far been healthy.

Harriet also wrote that she had sent a letter to General Selkirk, apologising for her insulting remarks. From what she had heard, Selkirk was recuperating steadily. The motion in Parliament to relieve Tony of his command and position had been withdrawn by the planter faction, and the affair seemed to have found its closure.

Harriet also expressed the hope that Tony’s own wounds had mended and did not trouble him anymore. She relayed her mother’s best wishes, too.

Harriet herself was organising the move to High Matcham. Following Tony’s advice, she would send a letter to Mrs. Blacket, offering her to lead the household.

The letter was three hand written pages long, and as promised, there was no plea for forgiveness in it. When he had finished reading, Tony sat at his own desk and composed an answer. He summarised the short passage to Dublin and assured her that his wounds were healing as well as he could wish. He added that the weather was as unpleasant as one could expect in the Irish Sea in April. He could report, however, that their lot would be greatly alleviated by the excellent Porter style beer produced by the Arthur Guinness Brewery of Dublin. He ended his letter on this light note and entrusted it to the mail service.

For the next three weeks, the Asia sailed in an endless triangle, from Dublin to Holyhead to the Isle of Man and back to Dublin. Twice every week, the armed cutters found them, bringing reports from the frigates. It was a fruitless enterprise as everybody knew, but Commodore Fanning was determined to patrol his sector as if the French had broken from Brest in force.

The rough Irish Sea prevented too much boredom, and the repetitive nature of their patrol gave ample opportunity to exercise officers and crew. For two days, Tony banned the wardroom officers from the decks and put the midshipmen in charge of the stations. In another exercise, Tony let Mr. Dougherty take command without half of the lieutenants. Again, midshipmen and master’s mates had to fill in.

Lt. O’Shaunessy proved to be a valuable addition to the wardroom. As fourth lieutenant, he had command of the lower gun deck, but he was also a competent watch officer who tolerated no slack during his watch. Whatever had been the reason for his transfer, Tony was grateful.

After their first three-week patrol, Commodore Fanning ordered Asia to put into Dublin for re-victualling and for some repairs. He also wanted to make himself known at Dublin Castle and with the local leaders. For the first three days, Tony worked his officers and crew hard to make Asia ready for sea again, but then Fanning told him they would stay for another five days and that they would have to attend a number of soirees and receptions.

Another three letters from Harriet had arrived, and Tony posted the two he had written whilst on patrol. Harriet’s third letter was sent from High Matcham, and Harriet wrote about the move and the state of the house and the attached lands. The caretaker, Mr. Brown, had been able to turn around the Woodbridge lands, and they were already returning a small profit. An account from Mr. Brown was attached, and Tony went over the numbers carefully. It seemed like the Woodbridge lands had been a good investment, giving him almost £300 annual return. In total, their annual rent income was at £1,120 for the year 1806.

If he added the earnings from his shares in Whitney&Sons, his investment in the funds, and his pay as Colonel of the Royal Marines, they had over £3,600 to spend, £4,200 if he counted his pay as captain of a third rate ship. He could probably put aside more than £2,000 without missing anything. This was indeed a very comfortable financial situation.

That evening, Fanning and Tony went to dine at the Lord Lieutenant’s table in Dublin Castle. They met a number of Irish peers, a number of Army and Militia officers, the Lord Justice of Ireland, and more important people. Consequently, they both sat far down the table. Fanning, of course, was accompanied by his wife who had moved to Dublin. By contrast, Tony was assigned a table partner, Lady Colton, the widow of the late Major General Sir Winfred Colton, KB.

The Lord Lieutenant’s aide de camp introduced them, and Tony kissed a bejewelled hand.

“I am most delighted, Lady Colton,” he said politely.

“And I am thrilled at meeting a man of your reputation, Sir Anthony,” the woman retorted with flashing eyes.

“Madam?” Tony asked, his eyebrows raised to indicate his need for clarification.

“Oh, news travel fast. Your duel with General Selkirk was the talk of Dublin, two weeks ago. It was expected that Selkirk would make short work of you, but then you put up the sword fight of the year and beat him! His family is from Belfast, you know. Your besting him has won you admirers in Dublin.”

“My dear Lady Colton, this is clearly too much. It was a deplorable affair and unnecessary to begin with, and Mr. Selkirk proved himself as a brave and masterful opponent.”

“Ta, ta! Do not hide your light under a bushel, my dear Sir Anthony! Although, I shall readily admit that a little modesty in a man is a welcome change. Your wife is accompanying with you?”

Tony shook his head. “We decided that she better stayed at our country seat. Our son is less than a year old, and she will be more comfortable there than in rented accommodations in Dublin.”

“You’ll be the rage of Dublin, Captain!” Lady Colton laughed. “A valiant swordsman, a veteran of Trafalgar, and good looking, too. The ladies will eat you alive.”

“I take it your mourning year is over?” Tony asked drily, and Lady Colton flashed him a smile.

“Oh, it is! But do tell me: will you be staying in port longer?”

“That would depend on my superior, Commodore Fanning,” Tony answered cautiously. “As for the ‘rage of Dublin’, I have no desire for any such attention.”

“A faithful husband? La! Another surprise!”

“Indeed, Lady Colton. I am afraid the ladies of Dublin will have to settle for my conversational skills.”

“So, there is nothing to those rumours stating that you and your wife are estranged?”

“We only married last year. I am not that fickle,” Tony answered lightly, even when the mention of that rumour annoyed him greatly.

“Even though she provoked that duel? You must not think we do not hear all the London gossip. It just arrives later.”

“Quite obviously, the gossip also becomes more exaggerated on its way to Dublin,” Tony played it down.

Inside, he felt no small amount of annoyance. People gossiped about him and Harriet? Why? He was just a relatively junior captain and Harriet certainly was no prominent member of society. His face must have betrayed his thoughts for Lady Colton laughed brightly.

“Like it or not, Captain, your success has made you a public figure. Now, there is another juicy piece of gossip: were you not seen with Anita Heyworth two years ago?”

“Miss Heyworth is an old friend of mine, and she is also one of my wife’s best friends. There is nothing juicy to that,” Tony answered calmly. “I may add that Miss Heyworth served as my wife’s bridesmaid.”

“You astound me, Captain. Most men would brag about that particular conquest. In fact, many did over the last years, even though their claims are disputed by those who know her. I should add ‘discreet’ to your virtues.”

Tony bowed his head.

“I find that a compliment I like,” he answered.

Lady Colton continued her efforts to extract bits of information from Tony but he managed to head off most of her questions. When the dinner wound down after dessert, she was still none the wiser as to Tony’s openness to a dalliance.

“I hope I can entice you to a visit at my house?” she dangled yet another bait, shortly before the party broke up.

“Honestly, Lady Colton, I believe we both know this to be a bad idea. Neither of us wants the sort of reputation such a visit may precipitate. I, for one, do not want to cause distress to my wife, and knowing now how fast gossip travels, I fear that any private rendezvous will cause just that.”

She gave him a quizzical glance but she did not seem to be offended.

“A loyal husband? They will put you on exhibition before long. Anyway, since my female wiles avail me nothing, I surrender to your virtue. I hope to see you again, Captain, at least for the novelty.”

After the evening closed, Tony reflected on what he had learned. Harriet and he were items of gossip. If Lady Colton in Dublin knew about their rift, then people in London knew for sure. That meant, the idlers of London would set their sights on Harriet. The thought unsettled him considerably. To be sure, they had been on polite terms when he saw Harriet last, but they were far from being reconciled. What if, in this situation, an expert seducer prowled on her?

Reason came to his rescue. Harriet was in High Matcham, away from London and its temptations. Also, Harriet would not give up on their love so soon, would she? In her pleadings, she had claimed him to be her only love, over and over again. With determination, Tony shook off the fears. No, Harriet might be headstrong and spoiled, but she would never cheat on him.

Yet, even if he was sure of her feelings, how would things change over time, if they could not achieve a reconciliation? How long could he cold-shoulder her until her love for him waned? And what could he do at all? He would not come ashore in England for a long time, perhaps for a year or more. He could only justify to sail for Portsmouth if Asia was damaged badly and what chances were there of that to happen?

His mind a maelstrom of worries, he set to task as soon as he returned to his cabin. He had started a letter earlier, but seeing it now, factual and sober as it was, he tore it up and started a new draft.

My dearest Harriet!

I hope this letter finds you and the children in good health and that you have settled into the country life. I can see High Matcham in my imagination, no doubt fuelled by the fond memories I have of our short stay there last year. I trust that the stay there will serve to put a smile on your face again, for that is how I like your face best and how I see it when I think of you.

I have been thinking of you all evening, in fact, ever since returning from a dinner soiree at Dublin Castle, and I shall admit that I am altogether unhappy with the way I left you. I still wish you had not precipitated the duel with Mr. Selkirk. More importantly, I wish you had worded your displeasure over my unwillingness to confront Selkirk with more tact. Yet, I do not want you to be left with the impression that I question our marriage. Now that my wounded pride is healing, I realise that not being with you is far more hurtful than any disagreement we had.

As things stand, there is not much of a chance to see you in person in the near future. Short of a serious damage to the ship, I can hardly justify a return to Portsmouth. Therefore, I must put my feelings in writing, and I hope that my written words can convey that which I neglected to say when I had the chance. My love for you is still strong and I hope that we can soon put behind ourselves the altercation that we had, not forgetting it, but learning from it so that we may avoid similar fall-outs in a future which we shall hopefully spent together in harmony.

Your loving husband

Anthony

After re-reading the letter once more, he folded it and put it in an envelope which he addressed to Harriet. He would have it posted the next morning. With that resolve, he was finally able to lie down in his cot, trying to find some sleep.

When he awoke the next morning he felt better, in spite of his short rest, and he was on deck at six bells. Mr. Dougherty arrived on the quarterdeck shortly after, and one look at his First Lieutenant’s grave face was enough to make Tony apprehensive.

“Good morning, Sir Anthony,” Dougherty greeted.

“Good morning, Mr. Dougherty. You seem to be a bearer of bad news?”

“Indeed, Sir. Mr. O’Shaunessy was arrested on shore last night. The charge is High Treason.”

For a moment, Tony thought he had misunderstood his second-in-command.

“High Treason? Are you quite certain of this?”

“I’m afraid, yes, Sir. He was found in the company of a number of known conspirators. I already visited him in his holding cell. He emphatically denies the charges. He claims he was at a dinner in the home of a childhood friend when the soldiers rushed in and arrested everybody. He swears to his loyalty to the Crown. Frankly, Sir, I cannot believe those charges either. Mr. O’Shaunessy never gave the impression of being disloyal.”

“How can he be part of a conspiracy when he just put his feet on Irish soil for the first time in almost three years? The Nightingale was stationed in the Mediterranean. This seems like a bunch of hogwash. I am sure he will be released soon. Anyway, kindly keep me appraised of the development, Mr. Dougherty.”

Tony shook his head, hoping that things would clear up soon. O’Shaunessy had already proven his worth as Fourth Lieutenant, and he was needed.


Four days had gone by when Tony was interrupted as he was reading the week-old Morning Chronicle.

“Sir, Mr. Dougherty for you,” the Marine sentry announced.

Tony looked up from the paper and closed it. Dougherty was worried, he could see.

“What can I do for you, Mr. Dougherty?”

“Sir, I just heard it. Mr. O’Shaunessy will be charged with High Treason. The Prosecutor is adamant that he was in collusion with the other men present when the soldiers arrested them.”

“But this is nonsense!” Tony expostulated. “He went ashore to meet a few friends from his boyhood. He was away from home for over three years, and that’s well documented. Perhaps, I should have a talk with that prosecutor?”

“The trial is already set, Sir, at a week from now.”

“So soon? Well, I can still try, can’t I?”

“It may help, Sir. I am willing to testify as to Mr. O’Shaunessy’s conduct on board and the loyalty he showed. I am sure that the rest of the wardroom will do the same. Will you allow us to testify, Sir?”

“Of course, Mr. Dougherty. Your offer shows the sort of conduct that I look for in my officers. I shall offer the same, by the way. Now, where would I find that prosecutor?”


The prosecutor, the Hon. Mr. Melrose, resided in the court house, and he let Tony wait for a half hour before he saw him. Tony had learned his lesson, though, and he was polite when he introduced himself.

“Mr. Melrose, I am Captain Sir Anthony Carter of his Majesty’s Ship Asia. I came to inquire about the charges levied against one of my subaltern officers, Mr. O’Shaunessy.”

“The traitor O’Shaunessy will be tried next week. I recommend that you look for a replacement, Captain,” came the curt, almost brusque reply.

“It is my understanding that the charges are based solely on the fact that Mr. O’Shaunessy was present at a dinner party attended by other suspects. That does not appear condemning evidence to me.”

“Captain, I am a man with little time, and I do not have the leisure to accommodate your curiosity.”

“Yet, you may elect to enlighten me, Mr. Melrose. You may also want to remember that a member of a chivalrous order is entitled to the address ‘Sir’ and that being denied of that privilege may be interpreted as offending behaviour.”

That, at last, had an effect on the man’s smugness. He paled and swallowed.

“Of course, Sir Anthony, my mistake. You have to see though that your Mr. O’Shaunessy’s presence is not the only evidence I have. The man’s great-uncle was a general in the French army and his cousins are serving in the French army as we speak!”

“Yet, Mr. Melrose, Lieutenant O’Shaunessy had no opportunity to engage in conspiracies. Before he joined my ship, he was serving in the Nightingale frigate, in the Mediterranean Sea. All he saw of land in the past three years was Gibraltar and Port Mahon. My 1st Lieutenant took the pains to look into his personal papers. Apart from a very old letter from his father, there were only letters from his sister, and Mr. Dougherty saw nothing in them raising his suspicion. Lieutenant O’Shaunessy is undoubtedly a loyal officer.”

“He should have picked his friends better, then,” Melrose replied, with his infuriating smugness returning. “We caught him with the conspirators, and his family has a history of treason.”

Tony succeeded in maintaining his calm.

“If this is your opinion, Mr. Melrose, then a jury will have to decide. Who will act as Mr. O’Shaunessy’s defender?”

Melrose looked downright pleased now.

“There is no such thing as a defender. The charge will be delivered, the facts will be presented, and the jury will form an opinion. The practice of a defender is only for military courts-martial.”

“Again, Mr. Melrose, I cannot think it to be in your best interest to address me with such a blatant lack of politeness,” Tony countered, his voice showing his annoyance now.

As expected, Melrose swallowed and apologised.

“I’m most sorry, Sir Anthony. I am not used to dealings with distinguished officers and knights.”

“Well, I shall leave it be one more time. Where can I find Mr. O’Shaunessy?”

“He is held under arrest in the garrison building.” Tony stared back at the man. “Sir Anthony!”

“Thank you. You may want to remember the polite address for when I shall testify on Mr. O’Shaunessy’s behalf during the trial.”

With that parting shot, Tony left the room, trying to control his anger. The thought that a man might be convicted of treason for having dinner with boyhood friends and for having a French uncle was unsettling to him. In a Navy court-martial, a recorder would be given a severe dressing down by the presiding judge if he brought up a case with such circumstantial evidence. Obviously, ashore and in Ireland, things were different, for Melrose had shown a confidence that worried Tony.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.