In the Navy - Cover

In the Navy

Copyright© 2005/2020 to Argon

Chapter 24: TeaRoom Politics

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 24: TeaRoom Politics - The story of a young officer, Anthony Carter, in the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Inspired by the novels by C.S. Forester. First in the Anthony Carter Universe.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Consensual   Rape   Romantic   Lesbian   Heterosexual   Historical   Military   Oral Sex  

Harriet was squinting her eyes in the bright sunlight as she stepped from the manor house. The weather had improved over the last weeks, and they had a hot summer for a change. It was not just the weather that had lifted Harriet’s mood. Two weeks ago, a letter had arrived from Tony. It was just a little over one page, but it had changed Harriet’s outlook completely.

For weeks and months, she had been morose and depressed, fearing that her mistakes had damaged her marriage irrevocably. True, Tony had been friendly on their last evening together, but ‘friendly’ was not what Harriet wanted of him.

His first three letters had been just the same. Friendly and sober, he had rather reported than told of his life. Reading his letters reminded Harriet of her own letters to distant relatives. This all changed when, two weeks ago, the rather short and hastily written epistle arrived. In it, he had admitted that he still loved her and believed in their marriage. The relief she felt could only be compared to what a stout Catholic would feel upon receiving absolution from the Pope of Rome. Tony was hers or would be hers once they were reunited.

Everything would be good again, as soon as she had a chance to rush into his arms. She was dreaming of perhaps moving to Dublin, to be closer to him, but that would have to await his formal asking. She had hurried to write a response. She wrote to him about her own fears and her relief over his willingness to forgive her. She also wrote about her desire to sleep in his arms again, about her craving for his touches and caresses. She could almost feel him when she wrote that passage.

His next letter was dated a few days later, and it was clear that her answer had not yet reached him. She was surprised and dismayed at reading about the arrest of Lt. O’Shaunessy. She was grateful for the young lieutenant’s assistance on that terrible evening before the duel, and she fervently hoped for a positive outcome.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Mr. Brown, the caretaker, who just left the house, too.

“The painters and paperhangers should be finished in a week, milady, and the house will be as good as new.”

Harriet nodded. “Yes, it does look pretty again. It is a pity that it was neglected for so long. I suppose we can rent it out. It should not stand empty.”

They were standing in front of Woodbridge Manor, the manor house of the lands Tony had bought the last year. The manor had been in a poor state of repair, and Harriet had made the decision to have it renovated. She knew Tony’s stance on such matters, and she was certain of his approval.

“I can ask around for tenants. It’s a fine house now, and many people just want nice living without the need to look after lands and tenants. I suppose you can lease it for three hundred pounds or more per year.”

“That much? I’m surprised. Well, let us try. I would have to see the people, first.”

Mr. Brown accompanied her on the ride back to High Matcham. She was surprised to see her mother’s coach standing in front of the steps, and even more surprised when not her mother but two strange women alighted from it.

One of the women was just a tad older than Harriet, good-looking, with wavy black hair and a finely formed face. She was tall, but she carried herself well.

Harriet’s look fell on the other woman. She, too, was of good height, slender like Harriet, but with straw-coloured hair. She had a very pretty face, only marred by a slightly crooked nose, but her eyes were of an impossible violet-blue.

Harriet dismounted and handed the reins to a groom. She approached the two women, wondering about the reason for this visit.

“Lady Carter?” the black-haired woman asked.

“Yes, indeed,” Harriet answered.

“I am Lady Colton, of Dublin, and this is Miss O’Shaunessy. We came asking for your help.”

The younger woman approached her hesitantly.

“I have this letter of introduction from your husband, Lady Carter. In it, he explains our purpose.”

Seeing the blonde Irish girl, Harriet felt fear rise within her. Had it not been for Tony’s last letters, she would panic. Tony had obviously had dealings with this beautiful young woman. Her memory came to her help. O’Shaunessy! The girl must be a relative of Lt. O’Shaunessy.

She took the letter and offered her visitors to step in. Inside, Harriet called for a maidservant to have refreshments brought to the salon. Whilst tea was served, Harriet quickly read the letter.

My dearest Harriet!

I write this letter in the hope that it finds you and the children in good health and spirits. Here in Dublin, things have turned bad, as Mr. O’Shaunessy was indeed convicted of treason and sentenced to transportation for life. As you will appreciate, the sentence caused desperation on the part of his poor sister who stands to lose her closest relative.

Together with Lady Colton and her brother-in-law, Judge Colton, I have tried in vain to point out the obvious falsehoods in the charges against O’Shaunessy, alone, Prosecutor and Judge were set in their opinion and the jury followed them like bleating sheep.

Lady Colton has agreed to lend support and provide company for Siobhan O’Shaunessy, who will submit a petition to His Majesty for a full pardon of her brother. Entrez nous, I believe Lady Colton to be at least a little smitten with young O’Shaunessy. She is a widow of considerable wealth and charms (you may assess the latter yourself), and O’Shaunessy can count himself lucky to have won her support and possibly more.

Since I, too, believe strongly in young O’Shaunessy’s innocence, I would ask you to help young Miss O’Shaunessy to find the necessary backing for the petition. Your mother should know personages able to help as does your father, but there can never be too much support. Hateful though the memory of your first marriage may be, you must have met important people through your father in law. Knowing your strong views on justice, we hope to enlist you on our side.

Therefore, I would ask you to give up your self-chosen exile at High Matcham and to join forces with your dear mother and father, for the benefit of an innocent man who stands to be deported for life.

Your loving husband

Anthony

Harriet finished reading and looked at her guests.

“My husband asks me to lend you my support. I am not certain yet that I can be of help, but I shall nevertheless try. I met Mr. O’Shaunessy before, and he was kind enough to render me assistance on that occasion. I take it that you need support for your petition from influential personages?”

Lady Colton nodded. “Yes, your mother already pointed out possible supporters, but she also mentioned that you have a circle of friends, too, who may be willing to use their influence.”

Harriet thought about that. Of course, Lord Brougham might help her, out of his sense of obligation, and he was a well connected Tory. Whilst married to Rupert, she had met a number of people important enough to be of help, but would they be willing to exert their influence? Anita! The popular actress could sway almost any male. Perhaps, she would be willing to charm potential supporters?

“I can try, although I should be open about the fact that I am not what you would call well connected. I can only think of my former father in law who may help us, and of my dear friend, Anita Heyworth.”

Lady Colton raised her eyebrows in surprise.

“Yes?” Harriet asked.

“Nothing, I only remembered that your husband told me of your friendship with Miss Heyworth.”

“You find that surprising?”

Lady Colton looked back and nodded. “Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. After all, she was seen repeatedly with your husband in the past.”

“Our friendship predates that brief episode, and I was married to another man at the time. I consider her one of my closest friends.”

“The better it is for our purpose. I hear the Duke of Clarence is smitten with her?”

“I would not believe such rumours. The Duke is very happy with Mrs. Jordan,” Harriet answered. “Now, this is neither here nor there. I shall have to arrange for moving back to London. I am afraid that will have to wait until tomorrow. May I offer you the hospitality of High Matcham for tonight?”

The visitors accepted out of necessity, as it was past three o’clock in the afternoon. Harriet went to notify Mrs. Blacket of the visitors and had two guest rooms readied for them.

That done, she sat for a few minutes, re-reading the letter. He had signed it, ‘Your Loving Husband’. That in itself lifted Harriet’s spirits. The more she thought about the matter, the more her mood lifted. Tony enlisted her help in a matter that was important to him. That was a sure sign that he began to reconsider his stance towards her. If she could only justify his reliance on her, if she could render help to get Mr. O’Shaunessy a pardon, she would regain more of his trust. Harriet was under no illusion. Tony might re-discover his love for her, but his trust in her had to be damaged. Those were different issues, as she was well aware. Yes, she would do her best to help.

The two women were another issue. Lady Colton was a widow, and as Tony had written, she might harbour an interest in young Mr. O’Shaunessy. How did Tony know that woman, though? A widow past her mourning year was a dangerous rival, and Tony’s affection for Harriet had been severely impaired, at least in the first weeks after leaving London.

Siobhan O’Shaunessy was an even greater danger. A young girl, eager to save her brother and closest surviving blood relative, was temptation incarnate for any man. She could be trusted to do literally everything to save her brother. Add to that her fair beauty and proud body, and Harriet was not even sure if she could blame Tony for succumbing to such a temptation.

She put those thoughts aside with an effort. It was fruitless to fret over the possibilities, and it would hinder their common efforts. She rejoined her two visitors just as Nadine Blacket served hot chocolate. The hot, sweet drink seemed to revive Miss O’Shaunessy and she told Harriet of the affair from her own point of view.

Once or twice, Harriet caught a look from the young woman she could not place. When Lady Colton who had sat mostly listening left the tea room to take care of a necessity, Siobhan O’Shaunessy took a deep breath.

“Lady Carter, may I ask a favour?”

“Certainly,” Harriet answered.

“I am grateful to Lady Colton for her support, but I fear she may develop an interest in me beyond our common purpose. We shared a cabin together, sailing for Southampton, and whilst nothing overt precipitated, I feel uncomfortable with the way her eyes rest on me.”

Harriet suppressed a smile, thinking back to the nights she had spent seeking solace in Lucy’s embrace.

“You must be used to your fair share of attention, my dear Miss O’Shaunessy.”

“That is true, Lady Carter, and I have received stares even from women before. Only, with Lady Colton I fear she expects something of me in return for her help and assistance. Is it possible for me to have a room of my own for the night? I know, it is presumptuous for I am not...”

Harriet had put a hand on the young woman’s arm.

“You’ll both have separate rooms for the night. It is arranged already.”

Siobhan O’Shaunessy was blushing, and Harriet could not resist.

“Should you find me staring at you, be assured that I expect nothing for my help. It will be merely to admire your looks.”

An even fiercer blush was the answer. Siobhan’s answer was a whisper.

“Why would you admire my looks, Lady Carter? You are so beautiful yourself. I, with my crooked nose, cannot hold a candle to you.”

“Well, for one, my dear Miss O’Shaunessy, let me assure you that the minor imperfection you mention does not detract at all from your beauty which is considerable. Secondly, and knowing men, most will see your hair, your eyes, and your bust, and never even remember you having a nose.”

Siobhan had to giggle at that. “So true, Lady Carter. Sometimes, it seems that they speak to my chest, at least that is where their eyes rest.”

“I can imagine. We shall have to emphasise this further, my dear, to dazzle potential supporters for your petition. Our first order of business will be a visit to Bond Street where my good friend Elizabeth Wilson will fit you with dresses that will display your charms to their utmost advantage.”

“L-Lady Carter, I-I am not such a woman! I live in Belfast with my aunt, and I am not versed in dazzling men or women.”

“That is perfectly all right, my dear. Men prefer seemingly naive women; it gives them a feeling of superiority. Never worry though. My mother and I shall look after you and protect your reputation. No, you will be your charming self and garner good will for your cause. A fine dress to highlight your looks will only help.”

Lady Colton entered just then. “That is a very good idea, Lady Carter. Unfortunately, our schedule did not permit a visit to a tailor in Dublin, and a London fashion house will undoubtedly be better suited.”

Siobhan raised a weak protest. “Lady Carter, Lady Colton, I would not know how to pay for one dress from a London fashion house, let alone for a number of them. We have a few savings, true, but...”

Harriet put a calming hand on the young woman’s arm.

“Let that be my worry. After all, my husband instructed me to help your cause, and a few guineas for dresses will not worry him overly much. Besides, I believe I may be able to enlist Elizabeth Wilson for our cause. She is a warm-hearted woman, and she is our age.”

“You know Elizabeth Wilson?” Lady Colton asked excitedly. “I only heard of her. She is rather new, isn’t she?”

“Yes, she opened only two years ago. Before that, she had her shop in Portsmouth. She partnered with Gwendolyn Archer to open her shop on Bond Street.”

“It may be a good thing that I brought some funds with me. I heard she is fabulous, and I could stand for a renewal of my wardrobe,” Lady Colton mused. She turned to Siobhan. “My dear, we shall obtain a royal pardon for your dear brother and have some enjoyment out of it, too.”

It was a welcome change for Harriet, to have women of her age and stand to dine with. Lady Colton proved to be a witty conversationalist who spoke freely about Dublin’s society. From her words, Harriet also got the impression that the woman had led an unhappy life. She had married sixty-year-old General Colton when she was merely seventeen, and she had spent a boring seven years with her ageing husband who doted on her but who clearly was not the right man for a vivacious young woman. After his death, she had spent the mourning year under the righteous supervision of her husband’s older sister, and now that she was finally free of those tight reins, she was desperate to experience life.

“You were widowed, too?” Lady Colton asked Harriet at one point.

Even now, over two years after his death, the thought of Rupert Palmer caused Harriet’s eyes to harden.

“Yes, I was,” she said with a bitter undertone. “Suffice it to say, I never mourned him. It is my husband whom I always coveted.”

“You are close to Sir Anthony. Anyone could tell,” Lady Colton mused. “You should have seen the ladies of Dublin’s society! A hero of Trafalgar fame, still young and well built. They flocked around him. Yet, he would not give them a second look. I fully understand that, now that I met you.”

Lady Colton’s words had a mixed impact on Harriet. At first she felt fear when she realised how much Tony must appeal to the ladies, young as he was, a famous officer and, yes, tall and good looking. Then, the second part of Lady Colton’s words sunk in. He would not look at those ladies. He was true to her, Harriet. He had not given up on their marriage. The thoughts caused a blissful smile to appear on her face.

“Yes, we were meant for each other,” she said, but then her face changed and she sobered. “I must not forget this in the future.”

“That duel?” Lady Colton asked with sympathy.

Harriet just nodded, whilst Siobhan’s eyes switched between both women, trying to understand. Harriet saw the look, but she did not feel like explaining.

“Let us just say that when you finally find the man with whom you want to live your life, you should always appreciate your good fortune.”

Lady Colton laughed ruefully.

“I shall remember that should I ever be so lucky.”


Early in the next morning, two carriages were readied and loaded. Harriet was accompanied by her personal maid, Jenny Morgan and Elli, the wet nurse. Mrs. Blacket stayed behind at High Matcham. Lady Colton and Siobhan O’Shaunessy were sitting in Lady Lambert’s coach. By early afternoon, they arrived at Cavendish Square.

Harriet’s father was absent, trying to rally support for the petition among fellow naval officers, as Lady Lambert explained. Chief of all, he would try to enlist the Duke of Clarence who had been a midshipman in HMS Ajax under then Captain Richard Lambert.

Lady Lambert agreed that nothing should be done on the tearoom front until Siobhan was dressed properly. The same afternoon, they drove to Bond Street. Harriet took over, explaining their quest to Elizabeth Wilson. The daughter of a sailing master and sister of a midshipman (Samuel Wilson was still serving in the Clyde under Captain Fortescue), Elizabeth could well relate to Siobhan’s plight. She made the young woman turn and even loosen her hair, tilting her head.

She then had an apprentice bring in bales of cloth, whilst Ines showed up, taking Siobhan’s measurements. Harriet and Siobhan were in agreement that Siobhan’s dresses should be modest, showing her as a virtuous young woman, forced into her quest by the fear for her only brother. Elizabeth promised the first dresses to be finished by two days later.

Returning to her parents’ house, Harriet then wrote a billet to Anita, asking for a meeting. Anita had been performing in the Midlands with her troupe when Tony and Harriet had returned from Barbados, but she had returned to London since. She was a cornerstone in Harriet’s plans, for more than one reason.

The answer arrived the same evening. Anita invited Harriet to have breakfast at her new home. Harriet wrote an answer, accepting the invitation and warning Anita that she would come accompanied by two friends.

In the year of Harriet and Tony’s absence, Anita had acquired a two-story house on Chelsey’s newly fashionable Cheyne Walk, facing the River Thames. It was certainly a quiet and pleasant place to live, Harriet thought when their carriage arrived there in the next morning. Residents were strolling the walk along the river whilst bakers and grocers were delivering their goods to the houses. Anita welcomed them in her sunny breakfast room which had a view over the river. Harriet hugged and kissed her friend, revelling in the closeness she had missed. She had not known how much she had missed her friend.

“It is good to see you again, Darling,” Anita said with a smile.

“I have missed you, Anita,” Harriet answered. “My dear, may I introduce my companions, Lady Colton and Miss O’Shaunessy?”

“Miss Heyworth, I cannot say how much it means for me to see you in the flesh!” Lady Colton gushed.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.