Shade of Grey
Chapter 8: Between the Rag Doll and Rocking Horse

Copyright© 2005 by Oldbie

The progress of the barbarian Dragon Ship was slowed to almost a dead stop, by the increasing density of the waters surface. By the 2nd of night the ship was surrounded by flotsam and jetsam, including numerous dead animals both wild and domestic. Many were being attack by various representatives of the nastier monsters, including a juvenile Kraken. Throughout the night, the ship was constantly colliding with large objects, some living. At a little past the 4th of night, Grey had to resort to expending most of his stored Essence to discourage another older Kraken, by casting a 'Triad of Fireballs' past its beak and down its gullet. Then shortly thereafter he used the last when he created a 'Force Blade' to sever a tentacle the monster had wrapped around the mast, to prevent the dying creature from dragging the ship down with it. Ever resourceful, Darion worked with Turula and another woman, and fried up some Kraken Calamari for an early breakfast.

By dawn, Grey could see there were no humanoid bodies in the surrounding debris, which he took as a sign that the marines had managed to evacuate the coastal areas. Darion was at the bow, pointing their course to avoid the larger chunks, allowing them to make better speed. He had just given the signal to hold course, then left the bow and got a long pole and hook. He put it out over the portside, and corrected their course again to bring them closer to what ever he was after. A couple of ticks later he stabbed out and hauled back in a bit of wet cloth which he handed off to one of the women, and then set the pole out again. He then gave another course correction, this time to starboard; he stabbed out again a tick later and hauled in a toy rocking horse, which he set down on the deck. He turned and smiled back at Grey, then replaced the pole on the deck and then resumed his bow watch.

"Sometimes I wonder about him," Grey mumbled to himself.

By late afternoon, the Dragon Ship entered the sheltered Bay of Codsport; the people cleaning up the beach area saw the Dragon Ship and ran inland. Grey brought the ship to the center of the bay and dropped anchor, and then had Pandarion run up the yellow flag of peace, then they waited. Pandarion, Marella, Torula, and several of the women join Grey on the stern bench. The women were carrying two crates, a plank, and several covered dishes. Creating a table in front of Grey, they laid down a cloth over it, and set out dishes and several covered platters. One of the women who was introduced to him as Casella, told Grey that the women had gotten together and prepared this meal to thank him for all that he had done. Grey stood up and with more grace and manners than he usually displayed, took her hand and kissed it, asking her to thank the other ladies not present for this grand courtesy. Casella blushed and curtsied, as did the other women, one at a time, before they left. He sat down again and Pandarion, Marella joined him as Torula served them before she too sat down. There was a lot of laughing and giggling from the other women on the ship as they ate.

"You Sir, are a rogue," stated Marella with a laugh.

With a completely straight face, Grey answered, "No milady, I am a Commando," finishing with a smile and a wink.

Pandarion rolled his eyes, and the two ladies laughed, then Turula said, "You may be a Commando, but you are also a charming rogue."

Conversion remained light during their meal, though a bit strained as they put the horror of what they had been through, behind them.

"Given the meager supplies we had with us, this meal is surprisingly good. How the women even managed to bake rolls and a fine pastry desert is beyond me," marveled Pandarion.

They sat there for almost a Hexal eating and talking, when a Marine riding a horse, arrived on the shore. While still mounted, he flag signaled 'Who are you', and Grey had Pandarion identify them.

He turned and shouted back up the beach and the villagers began to emerge from the wreckage on the beach above. There was very little damage; most of the force of the waves must have been broken on the land surrounding the bay. Most of the homes further inland looked to be mostly intact; some had completely escaped being damaged.

Kellion the marine corporal who had signaled them, and five of the villagers rowed out in a fishing boat of some sort, and byway of a rope tied to the ship's bow, towed it to shore. Lady Marella and Torula were warmly and respectfully greeted. The other women were also welcomed, news was exchanged, there was plenty of rejoicing, and some sorrow as well. Pandarion and I remained on the ship. I had him read the Intelligence report again, and briefed him on my orders, but not my conclusion about the Imperial heir. He took it all in his stride; his only real comment was a whistle when I showed him the 'Mithril' coins in the chest. When he had finished reading, I took back the report, putting it back into the chest and handed it him, asking him to keep it safe again; and getting a 'Yes Sir' in return.

"Darion the Imperium is dead, there is no chain of command any more, and the rules of conduct where always a waste of time between us. So what do you say that between the just two of us that we drop the old military Ra-Ra, and become friends, and partners?"

"If I understand things, you are going to carry out your final orders, and to do so you are going to need a military structure. You are going be depending on me to see your orders are carried out; to do that I have to remain in the chain of command. Sure we can be more relaxed about it, but that military edge has to be there or it's not going to work."

"I was hoping to establish a civilian command, but you are right; I never really understood the military process, having never really been involved in it. You know I have mostly been a command of one; you were the only other soldier I have ever worked with."

"Well, now you are at the top of the command pyramid, you are going to need a chief of staff, a staff, and troops for them to command. I would suggest we start with finding who and what we have available and select a staff from among them. Then recruit the local retired legionnaire landholders, militia and auxiliaries, and form them up as reinforced mobile centuries. From there you can expand command and control to the surrounding areas," planned Pandarion.

"You should be the one in command, you have the knowledge and practical experience on how all this works, I am a lot better on the Civilian / Political / Intelligence side than the military."

"Listen Sabastion, you just described what any really good Praetor does, and I did what any good chief of staff would do, lay out the options for their Praetor to act on. Within the best commands, the Commander and Chief of Staff are almost always friends, and the very best act as a partnership. So if I were you, Praetor, I would assign me as your chief of staff and order me to get things rolling."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.