Shade of Grey - Cover

Shade of Grey

Copyright© 2005 by Oldbie

Appendix 1

These are some general notes I have compiled to keep the story line consistent. As the story progress I will be updating this appendix, so check back every once in a while.


Magic Theory

Arcane magic and Prosaic Magic both use Auras to manipulate there respective power sources. But the similarity stops there, in most other respects the two are the opposite of one another.

Arcane magic is governed by the Law of Causality, which states that for each specific Cause (Spell), there is a specific unique result, (Spell Effect). Each Arcane spell has a specific effect on the Essence flows, which in turn has a specific result that is unique to each specific spell. Thus for a specific amount of 'Power' applied a fireball spell, will deliver a specific amount of elemental fire damage to target area.

Two main laws, Association and Polarity, govern Prosaic Magic. The Law of Association, states that things (matter, energy, or spirit) have aspects or elements in common, they will react to and with each other under natural, imposed or imaginary conditions.

The Law of Polarity states that everything (matter, energy, or spirit), are composed of two opposing characteristics, and if divided each will contain an aspect of the whole within itself; thus each will also contain the aspect of the opposite as well.

Prosaic rituals allow the casters Aura to manipulate the Mana Field, in general non-specific ways depending on the application of the laws of Association and Polarity, and all existing external factors. In order to achieve more specific effects, so called spell components are used. Thus in order to cast a 'Jump' spell the caster may using the Law of Association and a Grass Hopper Leg as a focus to achieve the 'Jump' effect. Other factors and applications of the Laws will determine how far or how high the Jump will be.

The fundamental differences between the two can be explained by the following analogy: Essence Magic is to Prosaic Magic, what Dwarven mass production is to Elven artisan craftsmanship.

In Dwarven mass production, each step in the manufacturing process is accomplished by a different individual, in complex assemblies this could involve 50 or more Dwarves, each trained to do that one part of the process. The parts that make up the assembly are themselves the result of mass production, to exact standards so that when assembled they will easily fit together. The final units are functional, and each is very much identical to the next. Where as in artisan craftsmanship, a master craftsman and their one or two apprentices hand build the entire assembly, from hand crafted parts each custom built for that specific project, each being richly decorated, even those parts that would not normally be seen. The finished assembly is unique, no two being the same in appearance or functionality.

Prosaic rituals are individual works of art, each is unique; the same person following the same ritual exactly will get a similar result, but never the exact same result. Arcane spells are functional; the same spell cast by many Arcanists will have the same exact result. By there very nature Arcane spells regardless of there complexity can be cast quickly, require no or little training or specialized knowledge to cast. Spells of the same basic nature, that share features in common they can be grouped together into Colleges, Schools and spell sets or lists. The advantage, Arcanist can specialize in specific Colleges and Schools reducing there vulnerability.


Arcane Magic

The Law of Causality states that a specific Aura configuration will result in a specific Essence effect. Many refer to this as cookie cutter magic, each time a cookie cutter is pressed in to the dough results in the dough removed having the same shape no matter how complex. Arcane spells are not developed by the individual caster; but rather the spells themselves are magical constructs and can directly affect the Essence. Spells are normally learnt by three methods; they can be directly imprinted on the Aura of the Arcanist by another Arcanist who already knows the desired spell. By learning it from a spelled scroll, which imprints the spell on the Aura of the reader, or from an intelligent Magic Item that imprints the spell. Spells can even cast themselves if imprinted onto a Rune or a Glyph for example. Once a spell is known it does not have to be re-learnt, it is a permanent part of their Aura. To cast the spell the Arcanist simply selects the desired imprinted spell and allows it to act upon the Essence thereby casting the spell. Anyone can learn a spell, as it takes no skill to learn, nor knowledge to cast. Every time an Arcanist spell is cast, the casters Aura is temporally weakened directly proportional to the power of the spell cast. Once the casters Aura is to weak to affect the Essence Flow they can no longer cast spells till they have rested and replenished their Aura.

Essence flows interact with the non-living especially dense minerals.

The Essence Flow can thought to be comprised of 'frequencies' of energy, much like light is; and like light can be thought to be comprised of bands of color have bands of energy. Essence also has Positive and negative aspects, between which flow the bands or 'Colors'.

Those who are born able to sense the Essence and manipulate its flows have the potential to become, with a great deal of training, Arch Wizards. It is the Arch Wizards who developed the Spells used by Arcanists.

There are three important drawbacks to using Arcanist Magic.

Most people are born with a natural resistance to the Essence, but when they have an Arcanist Spell implanted they become susceptible to the other spells of the same College and school type. The more the 'power' of the spells implanted, the more sensitive they become.

Essence does not react well in the presence non-living material, especially when that material in interacting with Aura of the spell caster. Arcanist are able to power through light loads of material, once living material being the easiest. The Denser the material the greater the chance that the aura will not correctly interact with the Essence, resulting in the spell failing to be case. Sometimes this results in the Essence effected by the spell surging through the casters Aura resulting in damage being inflicted. As a result Arcanist cannot wear anything much heavier than natural cloth robes, no non-magical metal can be held within their aura, nor any other dense material such as treated leather.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.