Shade of Grey - Cover

Shade of Grey

Copyright© 2005 by Oldbie

Chapter 3: Preparations for Sea

"Quietly now, don't wake the other one", in the dark there was a load thump followed by a metal on wood thud; "sorry Marella, he is just too big, I don't think he is going to fit in there".

"I am afraid you are right, Casella, lets lay him out here and we'll find some way to get some cover over him", said Marella.

There were two women holding each end of the two poles of the crude stretcher on, which lay a large man, dressed in sea armour over a dark uniform, clutching a chest in his arms.

"He must be well over two standards tall and weighs at least 10 hog if he's a stone," Complained one woman.

"He most likely would weight less with out that chest, and the armour', reasoned another.

"I wonder if he is as well built as the other one", laughing asked a third.

"Enough, Casella you and Betrice fetch some of the Barbarian furs and drape them over these tent poles and create an overhang here to cover him until we can get him moved", ordered Marella

"The rest of you can get back to work, we still have to get everything those thieves didn't take under cover before the rain starts."

"So" looking down at the large man, "I wonder if you are also not 'exactly a Warrior Mage', like your friend; and what is so important about that chest that you will not let it go?"

Marella continued staring down at the long heavily built man, wondering how she was going to get him out of his wet armour and clothes, especially when he was still clutching that chest to tightly.

"His name is Karlus Antonyus Pandarion, but I am afraid proper introductions will have to wait until he is awake", said the other man standing in the door way with a richly woven scarlet blanket wrapped about his upper chest and draping to the floor.

"You startled me"; she gasped as she spun about to confront him.

"My most profound apologies Lady Marella Natalia Toralus, I am afraid I have bad tidings to convey", then moving his left hand up to cover his eyes", he continued "your father Senator Volunturus Marcus Altinus is dead", he said with no emotion or inflection to his voice.

"Thank you, Sir, for your connivance of such tragic news", she replied in the same emotionless tone, with her left hand also covering her eyes.

"May his spirit shaped by his deeds in life please the Lords, and may he pass beyond the Cycles of Life, to the Rewards of Heaven beyond." Moments later, after the Death Prayer to the Lords of Judgement, that was intoned by both, she asked, "How do you know of his death," she asked as she dropped her hand down to her side?

"I served with him on the IES Victorious Griffin; I was the Imperial Liaison officer to his staff. I know he is dead because we were in battle, and his duty station was the Command Deck, which took a direct hit from a Elemental Plasma strike", there were no survivors Lady Marella.

"That was a very concise report Sir... what is your name, and just who are you?"

"My apologies again, Lady Marella, allow me to introduce myself, I am Sabastion Talanus Greylanus; Senior Tribune in his Majesties Imperial Commandos. My friends call me 'Bastion; and because I am indebted to you I would like very much for us to be friends."

"My father spoke very highly of you Sir, he said that you were 'the first IPO he had ever met who was willing, even eager to get his hands dirty'. His prior opinion was that all IPO's only grudgingly advocated on their assigned command's behalf, where as you would most willing go and kick headquarters butt till you got what was needed. During these last few months he was most grateful for your service and friendship."

"I liked the Admiral too, Lady Marella; it was a great honor, and joy to serve with him. As I said Lady Marella, I am indebted to you for saving my life and that of my friend here; now how may I be of service to you?"

"How are you able to cast healing magic? You previously mentioned using the local Mana field but you failed to provide the specific details on how this is accomplished? Also how were you able to cast Elemental Magic, these is no Essence Flow, nor as far as I can tell, access to any of the Inner or Outer Planes?" Marella rapidly asked each question, stopping only when Bastion put up his hand to stop her.

"Lady Marella, I know you have many questions, and I will answer them as completely as I am able. But there is not sufficient time at the moment to do so. How long ago did I arrive here?"

"You arrive yesterday, at the 4th of dusk, and it is now 2nd of night," replied Marella somewhat annoyed

" About 10 Tenths ago then. How many people do you have here, and is that Barb ship still anchored in the bay?"

"There are 23 women, myself, Turula, you and your friend", replied Marella now more puzzled than annoyed.

"Get everyone to pack what they can carry, as much food and water as you have, and what ever other supplies you've got and have everything on the beach nearest the ship within an Sect. Soon, very soon this beach is going to be hit by a large wave and we do not want to be here when it does."

"What are you talking about, what sort of wave? How do you know this? I will do no such thing until I get some answers", she angrily said while visibly working to keep her self from yelling.

"You will do as I say, or I will render you unconscious, put you on the ship and leave everyone else here. Do you understand there is no time for lengthy explanations now, just do as you are told and I will explain everything as soon as I can? Now MOVE." He barked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.