Shade of Grey - Cover

Shade of Grey

Copyright© 2005 by Oldbie

Chapter 1

"Bruan... Bruan, here comes another one" cried the leather and fur clad Barbarian standing on a grass covered rock outcrop over looking the bay.

"You lot, get away from the shares or I will gut you where you stand", Braun ordered, directing his gaze to several men who where picking over the loot already taken from the 7 dead bodies that recently arrived on the beach.

"Grenfot, he still gots' some fight in him, let him be, by the time he finishes fighting the out tide and makes shore he'll have no fight left", growled the red haired chieftain.

"Ya, Bruan, let the sea take the fight out of him, that's right smart", Grenfot replied in a somewhat subservient tone.

So that was what waited for me on shore, 17 or so generic barbs, with a leader who could do some thinking when it suited him, and a boot licking toady named Grenfot. Wonderful!

Let the sea fight him, indeed, with darkness approaching, the deep monsters will be coming up to the surface to feed. Any surface activity such as 10 barbs splashing about in the water would certainly attract some to the shore.

"VES-NAR-TER-VIN-LO... Damn, nothing! The continuums must be completely FUBAR" cursed the half drown, figure clinging to the fragment of ships wooden deck.

So, no high magic; I will have to make do with hedge spells. What do I have for "sympathies"; good a bit of burnt wood, I will be able to work fire. Sea foam; excellent, I can work air. The seawater of course, fresh water in my flask, I can work water. Gulls dropping, good, some spittle, add the charcoal, carefully add the sea foam. Good! Now focus, reach out, feel the Mana, gather it, form it, feel... THERE!

With a small surge of power the carefully constructed pile of components flashed and was gone. The figure, slumped back down on to the deck, obviously weakened by the effort.

Now, focus, gather the Mana, slowly, let it flow evenly, slow, even, gentle, pressure, that's right slowly increase the pressure, slowly increase the flow, build it slowly... There, anymore and I will not be able to contain it.

Now, something to get them gathered up close and tight when I make my grand arrival on shore. Hmmm, the look of rich silks, gold and baubles... A bit of red silk from my cloak, a shaving of gold from a coin, some diamond dust from my wire saw, my ruby ring that will add silver too.

I spent some time getting everything together, I really hated to give up the ring, but it was either it, or me.

Good, reach out, slowly now, gather the strands, weave the flow, careful, not to fat, another chain of gold there. Good! Now slowly, slowly, let the reality fade and the façade replace it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.