Not Ordinary - Cover

Not Ordinary

Copyright© 2020 by MothEmperor07

Chapter 16

I was back! Back to the time when I had just bonded with my familiar. I had travelled back in time once again, reversing yet another calamitous and deadly situation.

I took stock of the events for a moment before sheer exhaustion took over. I couldn’t help but collapse on the floor as my legs gave out from under me. I was aware of the concerned chirping of my familiar but I couldn’t take heed of it at the moment. I found myself close to blacking out but kept myself awake through sheer will.

I became vaguely alert to the arrival of the gryphon, who had come to take back its chicks. I tried to raise my head up so that I could give some form of greeting, knowing that it wouldn’t do me any harm, seeing that I was somewhat connected to it now.

In spite of my situation, I knew that it was imperative that I overcome my own exhaustion. There was too much work to be done, too many people to tell, too many preparations to be done for what I knew to be a disastrous next twenty-four hours.

But willpower wasn’t enough to get me up. In fact, I could feel myself teetering on the edge of consciousness and I didn’t think I could keep myself awake much longer. With dread building up in my mind, I just closed my eyes, morbidly eager to take a look at my core.

What I saw was what I feared, yet it managed to send a chill up my spine. What was supposed to be a bright star was instead resembling the glow of a flickering candle. It almost felt as if my core was nearing inevitable death due to expending all its energy. Even the bonds with my familiar resembled tattered threads, broken off from my core.

I couldn’t see a way out of this predicament when I felt myself in the claws of the gryphon. Before I could comprehend what was going on, I was hauled on its back. Giving an almighty screech, it took off in the air, with me holding onto its neck for my dear life. But the feeling of flying with no control of it whatsoever was too much for me as I felt myself finally submitting to my condition and blacking out on the gryphon’s back.

I woke up to the sun’s rays striking my face as I tried to get myself up. My body gave a quiet groan as I tried to get myself up. I could literally hear my bones cracking as I stretched them, trying to get some sense of movement. Looking around, I found myself in unfamiliar surroundings. Before I could puzzle out where the gryphon had brought me, Samuel walked in through the door.

“So, you’re finally up, huh?”, Samuel asked with a wide grin on his face, “I was really scared there for a moment about your condition. You look fine now. I am glad.”

I took in his words with a faint smile of my own but I wanted some answers. How had I gotten here? Or rather did the gryphon bring me here? And most importantly, how had I recovered or even survived? I had seen my core with my own eyes, it looked beyond saving. It must have required a minor miracle for me to recover from that state.

“Correct me if I am wrong, but did I arrive here on the back of a gryphon?”, I asked Samuel, wondering how the gryphon knew to bring me here.

Samuel uncharacteristically grinned in response. He seemed to be doing that a lot. “Indeed! I have to say, you have experienced more adventures in your first few months as an Untethered than I have in my many years.”

He continued, “I was terrified when I saw the gryphon, at first. I thought that it had just come to finish the job it couldn’t the last time. But before I could react in any way, you slipped off his back and without acknowledging my existence, it just flew away. My concern for your condition overcame my incredulity at the situation. I have to say you were in dire straits. I thought that the gryphon had come to deliver your corpse and for a moment there, I really thought you were dead.”

I could only sigh in response before remarking, “You don’t have to tell me. What happened after that? How did I, you know, recover from my near-death state?”

“That’s what I was here for actually. Seeing your condition frightened me to my core before I realised you weren’t actually dead. But I felt that I had too little time on my hands to actually call for any help, so I did the first thing I could. I made you consume this.” Saying that he procured a pill and held it between his fingers so that I could see it. The pill was oddly familiar to the one Emma and Frank had given me in different instances, although I could tell it had some subtle differences.

“What is that?” I asked him, wondering how he had come across such a pill, as I knew these were rare.

“I don’t know the specifics. I just know that it’s used to stabilise and re-energise your core.”, he said in wonderment, as if it were the most fantastical thing he had ever heard of.

“How did you get your hands on one anyway?”, I asked, incredulity evident in my tone.

“Oh, the guys who healed me after our encounter with the gryphon gave to me, saying that if I ever felt myself in a precarious situation, I should take it! I have more, don’t worry. Although I don’t know what I would have to do if I wanted a refill.” Samuel said, amazement still present in his voice.

I couldn’t help asking him, “Those were for you then. Why did you give me one anyway?”

Samuel had a look on his face I couldn’t quite decipher. “What do you mean? As I said, you were in dire straits and seemed to need it more than me. I couldn’t just let you die on me, could I? What kind of mentor would I be?”

At the risk of sounding corny, I was touched. I think Samuel realised it too because he swerved the topic before I could comment on it.

“Anyway, what happened man? Did the gryphon do that to you?”, Samuel asked curiosity and worry abundant in his words.

And I was suddenly at a crossroads. Do I tell him my experiences from the time of our encounter with the gryphon? Or even the truth that this was my second go-around of the same day? About Frost? Would he even believe it? I mean, to everyone I knew, Frost was their benevolent leader, their guide, their saviour, their guardian in this unforgiving world that is so different than the mortal world.

Frost was a charismatic leader, capable of inspiring such trust among the other Untethered that to speak ill of him would be treason in the eyes of the Untethered. With all these thoughts jumbling in my mind, I was quite unsure about this decision. But I decided to hedge my bets on the fact that I believed Samuel trusted me just enough to at least listen to my tale before making a decision.

Frankly, I did this out of desperation. Last time around, I didn’t have any help. No one who shared my suspicions or my secrets. And Samuel was the first casualty of my inability to manage the situation. And I was determined to not let that happen this time. Even if I was unsuccessful in my venture to convince Samuel of Frost’s wrongdoings, it would still plant a seed of doubt in his mind that would at least make him wary and have him looking over his shoulder.

So, I told him everything. Even the things that the council had deemed too dangerous to let him know. I told him about the grim reaper and his death, my reversing of it, the council and my subsequent training, the suspicions of Emma, the truth about the gryphon and my familiar and finally ended it with the events of last night.

During my entire retelling of the events, Samuel had a blank look on his face, making me wary about his reaction to my news. When I finished recounting my story, Samuel just looked at me for a moment before just muttering, “Huh!”

We looked at each other in silence for a few moments after that. I was too nervy to break the silence as I didn’t think I could handle Samuel’s rejection of my call for aid. It was finally Samuel who decided to spare me the awkwardness of asking for some input.

“You do realise that your tale is completely ludicrous, don’t you?”, he asked me in a tone that suggested that he was unsure how to tell me that I had lost my marbles.

“I do, yes! If someone told those same things to me, I would be reluctant to believe them too.” I said, hoping that Samuel didn’t just walk out of the room right then and there.

“Reluctant doesn’t begin to cover it, David. You’re telling me that Frost is some sort of evil overlord intent on conquering this world or some other stuff like that. How do you expect me to believe that?” He all but shouted those last words to me.

I sighed, knowing that this was a lost cause. “Okay, man. I just wanted to tell you even if you don’t believe me. Just look out, will you? Wouldn’t want you dying a third time around, huh?” I couldn’t help keeping the bite out of my voice, feeling somewhat hurt at his denial, even if I knew that it was the most likely to happen.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.