A Well-Lived Life 3 - Book 1 - Suzanne - Cover

A Well-Lived Life 3 - Book 1 - Suzanne

Copyright © 2015-2023 Penguintopia Productions

Chapter 54: Like a Virgin

September 26, 2000, Chicago, Illinois

“Did all of you have a chance to review the outline Prem sent us for the sexual harassment training?” I asked the ‘Kitchen Cabinet’ on Tuesday morning.

“I still can’t believe we have to do this,” Cindi said, shaking her head.

“I did what Steve asked,” Elyse said. “I checked with five other companies who offer general liability coverage and all of them have the same requirement. There is literally no way out of this unless we self-insure, and we discussed the dangers with doing that.”

“So, any concerns?” I asked.

“Not from the outline,” Charlie said. “But the proof in the pudding is in the eating. You won’t know until they actually do the seminar. But the handouts look reasonable.”

“I still wonder what the chances of anyone actually filing a complaint are,” Eve said.

“The argument is that this ensures people know they CAN file a complaint,” Liz replied. “It protects us from claims that we weren’t receptive to complaints or didn’t have a policy in place. Just having it in the handbook isn’t sufficient, nor is just doing this once and forgetting about it.”

“Just be glad we’re not Spurgeon,” Kimmy said. “I hear from Keri that they have five or six things like this all to do with complying with various regulations, and if you don’t do them, they can suspend your license, fine you, or both.”

“Then we’ll move on,” I said. “I don’t have anything else.”

“I talked to Stephanie about this yesterday,” Cindi said. “Our friends at EB Systems are targeting our customers in the Midwest offering what they call ‘competitive’ upgrades.”

“What’s the hook?” I asked.

“Pay for install and conversion. There are no other license fees, and a twenty-five percent discount on maintenance for the first two years.”

“Buying the business?” Elyse asked. “I doubt that’s sustainable. They’re giving up an awful lot of short-term revenue for long-term revenue that might never materialize.”

“That’s true,” Cindi said. “But they have a fairly strong lock-in because they have a steep exit fee to get your data out of their system.”

“That’s got to be Braun,” I said. “Lone Star never did that. And honestly, all we have to do is dump the schema and data.”

“Both are encrypted,” Cindi said. “And guess who holds the keys?”

“Holy shit!” Eve gasped. “Seriously? Who would sign up for THAT?”

“It’s a new feature that’s being billed as security against hackers,” Cindi said. “It’s BS, but it’s effective BS. We’re hearing about that from customers where we’re competing with EB.”

“When did this start?” I asked.

“A few weeks ago, and I’m guessing it was done anticipating their announcement of the ‘competitive upgrade’ deal.”

“What did my sister have to say about this?”

“We’re going to discuss it at the EC meeting next Monday. I’m still gathering information and talking to Sam about what we can do to offer some kind of enhanced security that doesn’t set our customers up to be held hostage.”

“I think I may come to that meeting,” I said.

“Stephanie was going to invite you and Sam. I think Sam was in touch with Mario’s wife late yesterday.”

“She’s a crypto expert,” I replied. “So that makes sense. Do you think many customers will bite on this?”

“Some will, for sure,” Cindi replied. “I’m working up a flyer to send out warning of the dangers of ‘lock-in’ and reiterating our policy that a client’s data belongs to them and only them, and Sam’s going to write something for next month’s newsletter.”

“Are they going after Chickasaw and Hastings Mill?” I asked.

“I don’t know yet. I have calls into my counterparts there. The three of us have been playing nice together, so I think I’ll get return calls.”

“We should talk about collusion and anti-competitive business practices,” Liz said. “I’ll come by your office later, and we should probably call the two Bens to make sure we’re on the side of the angels.”

“The devils are WAY more fun!” Kimmy smirked.

“As long as they aren’t from New Jersey!” I declared. “The neutral zone trap is a travesty!”

“They won the Stanley Cup, right?” she asked.

“Yes. By wrecking the game! The league is going to have to do something, but I’m not sure what. They won’t consider my preferred solution which is moving to all international-size rinks.”

“That would be crazy expensive,” Elyse said.

“Not really. You just set the rule that says any new stadiums have to be built to the new rink size. In thirty years or so, the problem is mostly solved. And some teams will retrofit their existing stadium if their style of play benefits. The Pens, and any fast, offensive-minded team, would do that in a heartbeat. But we’re off topic. Cindi, unless Stephanie has some objection, keep me posted, please.”

“Will do. I told her I was going to talk to you about this today.”

“Thanks. Any morale issues?”

They all shook their heads so I ended the meeting. They left and I went to my sister’s office.

“I assume Cindi told you?” Stephanie asked when I walked in and shut the door.

“Yes. What’s your plan?”

“I suspect the same as what you would do - focus on the Hotel California problem.”

I nodded, “I think that’s a strong deterrent, though EB will make all kinds of promises.”

“I spoke with Deborah and Jocelyn and they suggested we advise customers to demand escrow for the decryption keys. I asked Sam to put that into her newsletter article. Whatever solution we come up with, we’ll make sure that’s part of it. I also talked to Terry about analyzing what it will take to implement something that works with both MySQL and MS SQL. And as I mentioned, Mario put Sam in touch with Marie.”

“Cindi told me about Marie. That’s a good decision. This is going to be a significant effort.”

“Terry and Julia are going to give me an idea when he and the development team come up with a plan. Are you planning any trips after October?”

“The only extra day I have off is the Monday following Thanksgiving because I’ll be flying back from St. Martin. Otherwise, just the company holidays and the usual programmers’ downtime between Christmas and New Year’s.”

“OK. Terry will likely give this assignment to you and Penny.”

“I figured. Cindi is going to keep me posted, and I’ll be at the EC meeting on Monday.”

“Thanks.”

I left her office and went back to the office I shared with Penny, who was just returning from her team meeting. She kissed my cheek and sat down at her desk.

Petra1983: Sorry I was offline yesterday. Field trip.
NIKASteve: That’s OK. You told me last week.
Petra1983: Oh, yeah, I did! 😉 How was the Rap Session
NIKASteve: Pretty good. How was the field trip?
Petra1983: It’s just not the same as it was in second grade!
NIKASteve: Lots of things aren’t!
Petra1983: No kidding! I was wondering if I should contact Estrella.
NIKASteve: Just let it play out, please. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. I won’t try to talk her to death!
Petra1983: OK. Any progress?
NIKASteve: Some, from talking with Kara and Jessica. I’ll have it all worked out by Christmas when you’re here.
Petra1983: I really should have tried to talk my dad into letting me finish High School in Chicago!
NIKASteve: I know it doesn’t seem like it, but June isn’t that far away! It’s only nine months!
Petra1983: It seems like forever!
NIKASteve: But I’ll see you at Christmas. Birgit said she’s looking forward to it, too! That tells me I should be afraid!
Petra1983: LOL! She loves you and she’d never do anything to upset you.
NIKASteve: The coupons?
Petra1983: Be honest! You weren’t upset, you were amused! You were just concerned what would happen if the parents of the girls found out after she handed them out to all her friends who were old enough to use them!
NIKASteve: True.
Petra1983: And you gave me permission to hand out a controlled number of initiation coupons.
NIKASteve: I’m expecting those to be college girls. Anything else runs risks.
Petra1983: I understand. Oops, gotta go! Love you!
NIKASteve: Love you too! L8r!
Petra1983: L8r!


“Coach said he’ll watch our scrimmages tomorrow and Thursday,” Mia said when I sat down next to her on the bus which was taking us to practice. “He said you’ll play one period tomorrow and two periods on Thursday.”

“Cool,” I said.

“Don’t mess this up, Jesse! It’s the difference between being a good team and a bad team for my Senior year!”

“You know it’s not up to me, right? Even if I play ‘lights out’, Jerry might still get to start.”

“No chance! You play lights out and it’s yours! Just be the stone wall!” she exclaimed then leaned close, “Win the competition and I’ll give you your first blowjob!”

I tried really hard not to laugh, but I couldn’t help myself.

“WAY too late for that!” I replied, though it was tough to say the words because I was laughing so hard.

“I’d call you a liar, but something tells me you’re telling the truth.”

“Because I am!” I said, still laughing.

“You’re what, fourteen?”

“So?” I grinned. “But I’ll play my best even without the enticement!”

“Wait! You’re turning down a blowjob!?”

“You didn’t offer a blowjob,” I said with a smirk. “You offered my first blowjob and I already had that!”

“God, you’re a smart ass!”

“Yup!” I grinned.

Mia laughed and shook her head. She was cool and if I had been a virgin like she thought, I would have agreed in a heartbeat, but I wasn’t. Not to mention that in two weeks I’d be going to the dance with Kelly and I was going to ask her to be my girlfriend. Mia would just complicate things, even if it was just for fun. Not to mention what I was going to do with Cynthia and Libby on Saturday at Cynthia’s house!

Practice was good and after showers we got on the bus to head back to school. I sat with Mia as I always did.

“You looked really good in practice,” she said.

“I look really good ALL the time!” I replied with a huge grin.

“You’re just too much!” Mia laughed. “You’re awfully cocky for a frosh!”

“According to my dad, it’s not arrogant if you can back it up!”

“And you’re just a chip off the block, is that it?”

“Nah, a chip off the Adams! Mom’s last name is Block!”

Mia laughed and shook her head, “I walked right into that one, didn’t I?”

“It helps if you actually open your eyes!” I teased.

“You don’t seem like any of the other Freshmen.”

“Because I’m not LIKE any of the other Freshmen!”

“And the next thing you’re going to tell me is you’re some kind of stud, right?”

I shrugged, “My opinion doesn’t count, but nobody has complained!”

“Now I KNOW you’re full of it!”

I shrugged, “Believe what you want.”

She looked at me for a minute, then shook her head in disbelief.

“We’re on the same lunch,” she said. “Come sit with me and my friends.”

“I sit with five of my friends,” I said.

“If they’re as cool as you, have them come sit with us, too.”

“I’ll ask them tomorrow if they want to. If they’re OK with it, then we will. Is it all Seniors?”

“Some Juniors, too.”

“OK. I’ll let you know tomorrow.”

September 27, 2000, Chicago, Illinois

On Wednesday my friends agreed we should sit with Mia and the other upperclassmen. Mia introduced us to Al, Robby, Cheryl, Tina, and Kasey, and I introduced my friends. Mia’s friends were all cool, and it was nice to have Seniors and Juniors who didn’t view us as insects like a lot of the Seniors did.

That afternoon we had our first scrimmage, and I played the second period. I only gave up one goal, while Jerry had given up three in the first period, and then gave up two more in the third. When the scrimmage ended we headed for the locker rooms, but Mia stopped me.

“Play like that tomorrow, and you’re a lock, Jesse!”

“I gave up a weak goal,” I replied.

“And how many weak goals did that loser Jerry give up? And that goal you gave up was a double rebound, which is really the defense’s fault. We didn’t clear the puck the way we should have.”

“I really wish we had my friend Mikey,” I said. “He’s the best defenseman I know. But he’s out in Oak Park now and plays for his school team.”

“Better than me?” she asked with an arched eyebrow.

I smirked and nodded my head, “Sorry, but yeah!”

“Not the thing to say if you want to put one through the ‘five hole’!” she teased.

I laughed and went into the locker room to take off my gear, shower and dress. A couple of the guys came up to me to tell me they hoped I got the starting position, and Jerry looked very unhappy. That didn’t bother me because he should be unhappy with the way he played. Even our emergency backup from my previous team was better than Jerry. The only reason he was a starter was because he had been the only goalie on the team. They’d used a defenseman as an emergency backup the previous year.

“Your friends are pretty cool,” I said when I plopped down in the seat next to Mia fifteen minutes later.

“Thanks. And yours don’t act like the usual clueless Freshmen.”

“Were YOU a clueless Freshman?” I asked with a smirk.

“Probably!”

“What line were you on?”

“Second. I was that good!”

“If you were THAT good, you’d have been on the first line!” I teased.

“If I were a boy, I probably would have been. But being the only girl, I have to work twice as hard as everyone else!”

I frowned, “I hate that. My friend Nicole said the same thing about her school team. She’s a great forward, but she’s on the fourth line because she’s a girl. A guy who was as good as she is would be on the second line at least.”

“Is she built like me?”

Mia was my height and I was sure she could give me a run for my money wrestling. Of course, in a couple of years, I’d probably be six inches taller if I could go by my dad’s and both my grandpas’ heights.

I shook my head, “No. She’s skinny and REALLY fast on her skates. I mean, like blindingly fast. Faster than Kenny.”

Kenny was our first-line right-wing and he was really fast, but not as fast as Nicole.

“In a league where checking isn’t allowed, it’s kind of dumb to demote girls to lower lines.”

“Especially given how well she did on our trip to Russia.”

“Russia?”

“My dad’s friend, who was a general in the Russian Army, along with another friend who was a diplomat and who is now in the Duma, arranged for our team to play a bunch of exhibition games in Russia two years ago.”

“Wow! You got to go to Russia?”

“I’d been there before. I have friends there in the Russian Army.”

“No way!”

“Truth. I’ve been to Sweden, too.”

“You’re lucky! My only trip out of the country was to the Hockey Hall of Fame last year.”

“Dad is taking me next summer. I also met Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.”

“NO! FUCKING! WAY!”

“Mia Starosta!” Coach said sternly. “Language!”

“Sorry Coach,” she replied. “Won’t happen again.”

He nodded and turned around.

“Smooth move, Ex-Lax!” I teased.

“I oughta body check you into next week! But you seriously met those guys?”

“I did. And Tretiak, the Russian goalie from the 1980 Olympics.”

“I think I need to meet your dad if he set all of that up!”

“He did. He’s totally cool and has lots of friends who he can ask for favors.”

“What does he do? My dad is a boring accountant.”

“He owns his own computer company and he’s a Senior Instructor at his karate school.”

“Must be nice!”

“Next time we get tickets to Samantha’s sky box, I’ll invite you.”

“A SKY BOX? AT THE UNITED CENTER? I HATE YOU!”

I shrugged, “You just have to know the right people. Samantha is totally cool.”

“A girl owns it?”

“Yeah. She runs an investment company.”

“I need new parents!”

“Yours let you play hockey, so I’d say they’re cool enough.”

“I guess. I think I’m going to like being your friend!”

“I think you will, too,” I smirked.

“Jerk!” she laughed.

“Thank you,” I replied.

September 29, 2000, Chicago, Illinois

“Bring it in!” Coach yelled.

I pulled my jersey over my head and moved to the center of the locker room with the rest of the team and Mia came in from the girls’ locker room.

“One change to our lineup,” Coach said. “Jesse Block is going to start in goal. He proved that he’s worthy of the starting role in the scrimmage games.”

Several players clapped me on the back, including Mia. Jerry looked like he was going to cry, but it had been his position to lose, and he’d lost it.

“Otherwise,” Coach continued, “the lines remain the same as they were for the scrimmage, and first O-line and first D-line will start. Let’s play a good clean game, avoid penalties, and put pucks on the net. Remember, even a poor shot on net is better than a pass that doesn’t result in a good chance! Pucks on net are the only way to score! Now, let’s get out there and win!”

“Rah!” everyone shouted and we left the locker room for our warm-up skate.

Jerry glared at me as we did our on-ice stretching, but there really wasn’t anything I could do or say, because I had benefitted from Coach’s decision. All I could do now was prove Coach right, or prove him wrong; I was determined to prove him right.

The game was hard-fought, and I gave up three goals, but we scored four, getting the game winner with just three minutes to go.

“Now THAT’S what I’m talking about!” Mia exclaimed when the players skated back to me after the final horn sounded. “Nineteen more like that and we’ll be the favorites for the city championship!”

We all knocked helmets and then went into the locker rooms for showers. When I came out, I said ‘goodbye’ to Mia and went to find my moms, my dad, and Kelly.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.