Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 23: A New Mission

McElligott stood in the large crew reception lobby of Ross-Torus port eight.

The lobby was spacious and like all such fleet facilities featured a mustard yellow wall to wall carpet. There were seating groups of sleek looking vari-form seats and rubber trees. The floor to ceiling behind the Old Highlander gave a grandiose view into a truly gigantic man-made cavern. Big enough to accommodate several of the Union’s biggest battleships.

The landing field, however, was empty at the moment.

The old admiral was not alone. The being next to him was the mighty All Gray and to his other side Admiral Lydaa. A little removed, from the three VIPs, was a small crowd of high ranking officers.

Deepa glanced at her Wrist PDD. “You think they will be on time?”

McElligott sighed. “In all my years as Admiral, I never have seen a crew more eager. To them, it seems leave of absence is punishment.” He held up his PDD and turned the display to Deepa. “Eight hundred and fifty-eight requests to be reassigned as soon as possible.”

The Nul leader could of course not smile, at least not in any way a human could recognize. “Xon, my successor prefers the company of his shipmates over the ruling seat. Not that I blame him. It moves my Narl, to know he has so many friends of so many different societies and species.”

Deepa glanced at the empty landing field. “What was wrong with the first Tigershark?”

McElligott made a wide gesture. “We didn’t take that strange magnet into account that attracts all sorts of strays, individuals, and whatnot. We made her too small.” He grinned. “Truth of the matter is of course of technical nature. The second we gave the most advanced ship to that crazy bunch they started to fiddle with it and modify pretty much everything.”

--””—

Ross 128 was only 11 light-years from Earth. After the trial and the departure of my brother, the Dark God, I felt right as rain. All the nagging uncertainty of my existence had melted away. I felt free at last.

McElligott ordered me to proceed to Ross 128 for further orders and instructions, after a short vacation of a week on Earth I spend with Shea, Narth, and Har-Hi.

From Luna Port Amstrong, we took a fleet shuttle to Ross Torus, the largest Union Fleet shipyard.

What was originally planned to be a quiet out of the way munitions depot and service dock had turned into an industrial complex of tremendous importance and one of the Unions busiest systems. Easily equal to Blue Moon, only this was for the Fleet alone. In times of War, the Ross Torus could turn out 20 battleships a day, At its core was the Battleship assembly line. 5000 km long. With Ultronit Armor foundries, gigantic robots assembling frames, at one end and final detailing at the other. One part of the assembly line the so-called Red Area, the ships received the Translocator canons. The place was guarded by Ultra Marines who did not ask and always shoot. I had been here once before, during an Avatar hand guided tour by McElligott and Admiral P’ Tchak, the Commandant of Ross Torus. This mind-blowing scale of the battleship assembly line was only a small part of the Ross Torus. SII, Enroe, and DeNoir assembly lines were just as big. This in addition to yards for smaller ships and equipment provided permanent jobs to over 18 billion beings.

Translocator cannons weren’t the secret of the Union’s success, it was places like this. Terran megalomania, Klack unprecedented talent to organize and delegate the workflow to the smallest detail, Bellebee managers making sure nothing is overlooked, neglected or forgotten. Oromals keeping meticulous storage and depots. The Unions unexplainable ability to combine the natural talents of a myriad of societies without really planning it or forcing it that was the real reason.

Our Leyland military transport approached this mind-blowing artificial construct and slipped past energy curtains.

Once inside, there was no real difference to a planet surface, except that the horizon kept curving up and you could see cities, forests, and lakes instead of clouds the sky.

Even though billions of civilians lived here, this was not a civilian place and security was tight. Two marines not only checked our CITIs but verified all data. They then repeated the process of checking the MITI.

Only then did they deactivate the force field barrier to let him pass.

Har-Hi looked around. “By the spirits. The largest Dai Mother would look like a speck compared to this.”

I could not respond, because my throat tightened as I saw the huge crowd waiting for us. I recognized them all, it was my crew. Hans towering right next to Xon and TheOther. There were Mao and Shaka, Elfi and Cateria. Ak Fective, Alice, Roghor next to Jolai. Brena and Mehedi, Fivcheer, petite Lilith, Tyron and all the others that have become dear friends. Even the Mini Terrans and Fafnir our mascot. Sodoby, Dusty and Warner.

Roghor called them to attention and reported. “Captain Olafson your crew, Ma’am. Present and accounted for.”

I swallowed hard. “Thank you, Commander Roghor. I am surprised to see you all. Did you all not get offers and promotions?”

“Ma’am. When Admiral gave us a choice between advanced postings or volunteer for a new mission with you, there was no choice.”

Har-Hi looked around. “Well, it looks some of our friends did take new postings. I don’t see Krabbel, Circuit or our special friend, Meeze.”

Roghor spread his massive fur-covered arms. “Commander Circuit is here. Your shuttle flight was announced to be delayed an hour, Ma’am...”

Just as he said that a walking mountain of packages and shopping bags appeared, with a huge spider right behind him, holding a big ice cream cone.

A familiar voice behind the packages complained. “Krabbel you could help me carry the stuff, she could be here any moment, and did we loose Meeze?”

Krabbel said. “He is right behind us, I think. The Swine and Dine offered soft serve with Strawberry sauce.” Then the Archa shrieked as he saw me and scurried right over and hugged me. Only then he remembered and snapped into his version of attention. “Sorry Captain, Ma’am.”

Circuit dropped his load of packages and also came to attention. His artificial never-changing face as always, but I felt his warm affection never the less.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.