Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 22: Verdict

The latest development transmitted in the tightly packed guest room of Hogun’s Tavern was greeted with cheers and raised tankards. Gunnar Peerson said. “I guess we only hear now, what a hero our Eric Olafson really is.” “It is the strong arm of an Olafson and the sharp mind of a Ragnarsson paired with the virtues of a true Norse that is at the core of Isegrim’s firstborn that enables such deeds.” Proclaimed another. Isegrim shouted. “Mighty brother Hogun, open barrels and let your kitchen produce fine food. The Olafson Clan invites all present to celebrate my son’s feats and honor.”

--””--

Meanwhile, on the floor of the military court on the ground floor of Fleet HQ, Earth, the Old Highlander sitting on a chair continued his speech. His words and image transmitted to the Assembly and to virtually every GalNet terminal Union-wide. McElligott’s eyes had focused on the diverse group of individuals centered around Eric Olafson.

“They were sent to participate in the last Reagan trophy event held at the now-closed Newport Elite academy. Sent there by Captain Harris in their own Barracuda destroyer partially to test if they could indeed command a ship and partially out of pride to show that he trusted his Midshipman with a ship. On their way to Newport, they defeated a Tec level 11 ship piloted by a reanimated real Seenian, rescued a Hospital ship and cured a planet-wide plaque.”

He held up both hands to silence the storm of comments as he revealed the existence of a Seenian alive. “We will brief you on that during a separate Assembly session. Now bear with me the tale has not even begun to be fantastic. Realize also what I just said. It was a group of Midshipmen that destroyed a ship technologically far advanced, towed a full-sized hospital ship over many light years using a Barracuda destroyer and found a cure to an airborne disease that was the intended destination for the hospital ship. They did all this on their own and still made it to Newport in time. The events on Newport are a chapter by itself but they were instrumental in uncovering criminal activities, won the Reagan trophy and saved the lives of Richard Stahl, mine and that of everyone else on Newport. Again, details on these events are classified but we are preparing a report that can be divulged. Long story short, I believe I illustrated to everyone why we had no problems, no hesitation to give Eric Olafson the command over the USS Tigershark and have him appoint his senior crew. He and his friends graduated ahead of schedule and were properly promoted, but we could not file his promotion officially in the system, because filing a promotion from Midshipman to Captain would have caused every alarm bell going off at Fleet personnel. Of course, we could justify our decision and were well within regulations but drawing attention to this crew was exactly what we wanted to avoid. So, Admiral Stahl, the Admiral of NAVINT, General Lichfangh, Commandant Cherubim and I signed the promotion the old-fashioned way on a real document and filed it sealed and classified with Fleet Central Archives. Officially we promoted him to Acting Captain because no personnel record needed to be filed for an acting role. We also originally intended to send Olafson to command school after his first mission ended. His first mission lasted far longer than intended. When it finally concluded, sending Captain Olafson to command school would frankly be a joke. It would be the same as if sending Michelangelo to an Art class for beginners.” Finally, he gave in to his urge and produced his pipe. “I am sorry, but this is taking a little longer than I anticipated. So, I hope you excuse me for lighting a pipe. I simply can talk better when I do.” After a few moments, he produced a blue cloud of smoke and resumed his tale. “The Tigershark was to be disguised as a pirate ship and its crew as pirates. Under this guise, they could enter Freespace, reconnoiter their hideouts and so forth. The mission gained urgency as the first Narth, many Leedei and members of the then-new and very secretive member of the Coven begun their active service with the PSI corps. This and the completion of Nelson II almost immediately produced results. You see the fleet is a truly gigantic organization. While it is a lawful organization with billions of honest members. There is a very small percentage that is not. There is petty theft, bribery, and diversion of supplies and munitions for personal gain. While our CID does a marvelous job in solving the occasional murder, small thefts, and crimes of individuals. It was never able to eliminate the organized crime element called the Worm. Now. I am not revealing a secret, the criminal activities report within the Navy is part of the Council report every month and featured in the State of the Fleet report delivered every Union Week. We estimated about 0.2 percent to be involved with the Worm. That is a minuscule number on its own but 0.2 percent of billion beings is still a lot of individuals. While I will not be able to prevent theft and murder or other crimes of chance, I have made it my goal to eliminate organized crime from the Navy. This was, by the way, the main reason to upgrade from Nelson to Nelson II and the main task of the PSI Corps. As it became known the Narth strengthened the ranks of the PSI Corps, those with dark secrets suddenly became very nervous and for good reasons. Anyone convicted of being a member of a secret fraternity or criminal organization faces the death penalty. So, many of those gangsters deserted and fled before they could be exposed. They escaped into Freespace, unfortunately, some did not leave empty-handed and took restricted or even secret equipment, munitions and weapons along. Part of the Tigershark’s mission was to find such leaks, recover or destroy Union tech before it reached the wrong hands and in case of a Class X weapon eliminate anyone and anything that could have knowledge of it.” He paused to relight his pipe and then continued. “Not the most moral or ethical correct solution perhaps, but a necessary one. This need to keep our Translocator technology and associated systems out of the hands of others was openly discussed and the Mil-tech protection Act of 3591, and the Translocator Secret protection Act also of 3591 were the resulting Assembly decisions. Re-evaluated and ratified every year since. These acts require in open nonsecret language to do exactly what we ordered Olafson to do. The small secretive X fleet operating inside Freespace was under the control of NAVINT. For two reasons. Officers and personnel serving NAVINT are authorized by the Assembly to engage in all clandestine activity deemed necessary to protect the Union from forces hostile to the Union and without spatial restrictions and thus granting their operation even inside Freespace, and to keep their command structure small, manageable, and out of the Fleet activity report given to the General Assembly. We went a step further to ensure the legality of Olafson’s orders and mission. We informed the Covered Committee and requested their final blessing with a security council vote. It was granted and approved. Back to Olafson and the Tigershark. While pirates have no real names, everyone remembers and knows the name of the pirate captain. At that time Eric Olafson changed his gender legally to female. Why he did this is classified, but mainly due to personal choice reasons. Reasons that have no bearing on his duty status. So, we decided to give Olafson the identity of a mysterious female render captain named Black Velvet. Black Velvet has always been a NAVINT created identity. We spread the rumors of Velvet’s crimes and deeds. If you want, take the time to check, none of the Union ships she is supposed to have captured has ever existed. The survivors giving testimony in hysterical manners on GalNet shows were actors and actresses. Again, if you investigate their names you find they have never existed and were survivors of ships that never flew. So naturally, Olafson signed as Erica and mentioned the name Black Velvet. As for his mission. He found the Mini Terrans; is responsible that the Golden are Union members. Yes, this is really Sodoby the Golden and yes, he really is part of the Tigershark crew. Captain Olafson rescued the gray Nul. The result is the Nul are members instead of enemies. Xon, the Nul prince is also part of this crew. Olafson freed the Stick and sent their delegation to Pluribus, ending the hellhole that was known as Sin 4. Olafson purchased Alvor’s Cove from the Local Lord and his so-called planet manger Captain Sposhtrah is in reality Captain Plensir of NAVINT buying thousands of slaves and secretly freeing them. Over 800,000 Union citizens, 2 million Union Non-Cits and almost 3 million slaves of non-union origin were saved. Olafson went on to shut down the Smelter moons of Karthania. Reactivated the First Engineer and ended the reign of the Hull builder’s guild. The First Engineer is with us here, the Karthanians are members. Captain Olafson rescued the All White Togar, dethroned the former Queen and helped to install the rightful Queen, who as you can see, is a member of this crew. Olafson helped the Dolbran to defeat the Kermac overlords without them knowing. The Dolbran are Union members now. Olafson prevented the Xandrao to become a Kermac thrall species and we gained our first Downward sector member. All the while discovering a living stellar dust cloud. Lt. Dusty the huge Golem you see over there, and who of course immediately joined the Tigershark crew. His crew also includes a Living Seenian Battlesuit and the next best thing to a real ghost. He discovered a Seenian depot and gifted the Union with the USS Dominator and a whole fleet of Devastator type ships. So, I guess we made a good bargain spending a few trillion on his ship.”

Stahl said. “You forgot the Living mountain, the planet-sized living blanket. Curing the Furze outcasts of a sentient disease. The sentient parasite rides on top of that nightmarish Fleshbot goes by the name of Zzzzzt and of course, ended up in Olafson’s crew. Those are the more memorable highlights of just the first mission, and I can personally attest the other missions are just as incredible. He has managed to surprise me and McElligott every time he delivered a report and to surprise an Immortal isn’t all that easy.”

McElligott cleaned his now cold pipe. “I guess that will do for today and dispel all accusations, correct Admiral Augustus?”

The fat admiral could only nod. Then McElligott said. “Speaker please call for a vote. I have nothing to tell more.”

The Assembly voted with 99.99 to dismiss all charges as groundless. The single vote for guilty came from the new representative of Nilfeheim who shouted down from her Alcove. “I hate you, Eric.”

Egill who was still among the called witnesses grinned. “She can’t make up her mind.”

The speaker thanked the Assembly and declared the special session to be concluded and normal Assembly business to commence and terminated the connection.

Stahl with both his fists against his sides gave Augustus a stern look.

“I am Richard Stahl. That costume I am wearing is the same Uniform I wore the day this fleet was founded. It conforms down to the last seam to the very first regulation, even the freaking sunglasses. Do you know why I do not wear a ribbon display? There isn’t one big enough to show them all and I refuse to walk around like a Christmas tree. If you are the ideal example of what an Admiral is supposed to be then I am going to quit today and leave. I am sure that commission who empowered you or that fool that promoted you will be glad real Admirals like you direct our fleets and troops into battle.”

He turned to McElligott. “If you find any reason in my professional conduct that causes you dissatisfaction. All you have to do is say it open and straight forward. I live by the rules and you are my superior officer. You can dismiss me, even ask me to quit and I do it without hesitation. I want and must be held accountable for all I do, but if I am treated like a schoolboy without respect by a specimen that makes me wonder how he and I could possibly serve the same fleet then what chance does an Ensign or Star-man have against these self-righteous witch-hunting pea counting bureaucrats and paper pushers like that specimen. As bad as he is. He is not alone, there is an army of officers just like him. They are all alike. Bitter at life, jealous of others and vengeful abusing power when given to them. I am not against rules. I am a soldier for all my long life. I eat and sleep regulations and follow them as diligently as a third-year cadet, but if you want unthinking automatons then you do not need beings but non-sentient machines. Do you think a non-sentient machine would have done what Captain Brutus did? Do you want the likes of Augustus commanding our ships? Following regulations, Brutus should have retreated and waited for reinforcements. He even abandoned his ship and fought on the ground. Everything against regulations I might add. Why not have Augustus prosecute him? And don’t get me started on Eric. He broke, bend, circumvented and ignored pretty much every rule. Yet, you spend half a day just to outline a percentage of his deeds.”

While Stahl was scolding McElligott, many light-years away on planet Pluribus Unum, the Assembly had not turned back to normal business, despite the Speaker saying so. GalNet still transmitted from the courtroom on Earth and every word Stahl spoke.

The always present subdued din of voice, the dignified atmosphere usually prevalent inside the Sphere of the Assembly, highlighted by the Speaker’s voice or the request and statement of a representative was gone. It more sounded like a galactic market where everyone was trying to sell something at the same time. The corridors outside, even the Ring Park were black with citizens. The GalNet main board of the Assembly was at its limit. GalNet Channel One was currently transmitting to about 98 percent of all GalNet terminals. At no point did the Fleet public relations desk receive that many requests for information as now. Trillions of requests for a copy of the Tigershark logbook were made every second. A mass demonstration of at least 5 million citizens formed within hours actually marching towards the Assembly. Marking it the very first public protest in Union history. The Speaker tried its best to regain some form of order. Yet the system he used to allocate speaking time to a delegate was at the limit and displayed speaking requests of virtually every Representative. He finally managed to gain their attention as he hit the never before used contact to raise the Assembly Emergency alert. Meant to be used in an imminent attack on Pluribus and the Assembly. The loud alert, the flashing lights and the first real activation of the planet-spanning Para Dim shield managed to give him the chance to speak. “Assembly, I raised the alarm to regain control.”

He then said. “Utchat, end the alert and deactivate shields and defense measures and then tie me in planet-wide and on GalNet one.” The Pluribus AI responded. “Complied, you are now planet-wide and on GalNet One.”

“United Stars of the Galaxies I am the Speaker of the Assembly. I was forced to result to this drastic measure to regain order. We will address each issue and decide on it. One at a time, this is our way, and this is how we do it. Unless you release me from my post and decide to change the way things are done.” He paused only for a second. “So, first I am calling for an imminent Union-wide vote. Will we deal with the situation as dictated by our laws and custom or are we to resolve the Assembly and find another way to govern? Simple as that.”

The vote was made in the first Union-wide 100 percent vote of all citizens able to vote at that time to continue by laws and customs. It turned out that almost every citizen was following the procedures. He sighed with great relief as he realized what consequences his voting request would have meant if they voted otherwise. Technically the Union never came closer of being dissolved. He pointed to the protesting citizens. “Never in our history have Union citizens felt the need to protest since this government is the people. So, it is my duty as the Speaker to grant them the platform first. Is there a person that is accepted to speak for them?”

First Guard soldiers escorted a group of ten beings to the center platform, a Petharian was pointed out to speak. “I am Torrux Tandalor, Petharian, and a former United Stars Marine Commandant. I am retired and president of the Veterans of the Union Association. I represent the expressed opinion of all our members. I am also first and foremost a Union Citizen. We were compelled to form a protest group so we would be able to voice our proposals. First, we propose to make Admiral Stahl the Admiral in charge. No one above him but the Assembly and thus the citizens. No committees, no councils. The Citizens via the Assembly should be the only institution that has the power to summon him. Even our enemies show more respect to the Eternal Warrior than it was shown today. That he was never above the law and has served all of us in the most honorable way is evident to everyone after 3000 years of impeccable unwavering service. Second, we demand that only officers that actually served as commanding officers will be promoted to Admiral rank. We completely agree that our fleet needs to be run by rules and regulations; well most of them are there for a reason. For the normal and common infractions, we have a time-tested system of military justice and for the big ones, we then will have Admirals that use actual experience and common sense to decide if the rules were broken out of criminal or necessary reasons. The third and final request comes from us Marines retired, discharged or active. I know I speak for every grunt all the way to the current Commandant, make Richard Stahl our highest Commandant and make it permanent until he steps down or is recalled by an Assembly vote. We are Marines. We serve this Union first and foremost, we are devoted to the Corps, but we want to honor him by requesting to make him First Marine, make this the highest rank and his title.”

The Assembly cheered and so did the millions outside the Assembly. The speaker straightened. “Is there anyone who wants to comment or question Mr. Tandalor or do we proceed to call for a vote?” The Narth representative requested to be heard. All noise ebbed away as the shrouded figure was focused on the screens. “Narth Supreme conveyed to me that Narth finds this proposal quite logical and so Narth favors this request. As a Union Citizen, not as the voice of all Narth one finds that this proposal has one serious flaw. One is of the opinion that this request is long overdue.” The vote resulted in another 100 percent approval and the request was passed into law.

The representative of the Non-Corps managed to be heard next. “Should we not also recognize McElligott? Granted it seems he had a hand in today’s proceedings, but has he not served our Union just as long. He might not agree with everything Admiral Stahl does, but despite Stahl’s popularity or perhaps because of it, do we not need a voice that is not afraid to present an alternative view? We all know it’s a great fortune to have these immortals at the helm of such a large institution as our fleet. I happen to be a close friend of Richard Stahl and know him for a long time. His views have no room for compromise. His voice is that of a warrior and not that of anything else. I personally find great wisdom in the quote of Admiral McElligott when he said: ‘The worst peace is better than the best war.’ He is also known for saying: ‘War is necessary but must always be the very last option.’ His conviction is perhaps best shown when he said. ‘Wars are easily started but so hard to stop.’ I am quoting him to show you, he is far from an old fool and I am convinced that we also need a voice of temperance. It was his wisdom to foresee the problems the Freespace treaty would cause. Granted he was not the only one, I am certain. But he took steps to deal with them, without going to war with the rest of the Galaxy. He rightly pointed out that not all situations can or should be handled with brute force. This, even Admiral Stahl agrees upon. I have consumed the lengthy report a Bellebee compiled on Admiral McElligott and I encourage everyone to read at least the conclusion. McElligott has served this Union with distinction. He has through his actions preserved peace, saved countless lives and last but not least, this fleet we are so proud of has been made into what it is by him. That alone should guarantee our eternal gratitude. Therefore, do I propose him to be recognized by awarding him the Assembly Medal of Recognition! I further propose a new rank and title. That of Chief Executive Admiral to conduct all affairs and business of the Navy with the expressed highest authority and only second to the Assembly of the Union. Therefore, he is equal in rank with Admiral Stahl without interfering with the other field of authority. These men might not be the best of friends but to me they there is ample proof that they work well together. We should be indeed grateful for having such dedicated men leading our most important organization. I made my case.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.