Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 21: The Hearing

The news of Eric Olafson being on trial had reached Nilfeheim. First noticed by Lars Igvarhein the owner and operator of Nilfeheim Radio.

That Eric had become Erica was not widely known, but his legend had grown. Isegrim, Siegfrieda, Exa, and Elenna had traveled to Hogun’s Tavern. The place was packed to standing room only.

Hogun had his GalNet terminal active on GalNet One and the system displayed the proceedings on the largest field screen setting possible. Aunt Freydis was assisted by Midril in the kitchen, while Greifen helped Jan and Pit serving tankards of ale, beer, and mead.

Gunnar Peerson slammed his tankard on the table. “They are besmirching Norse honor. We should all go to Pluribus and teach these arrogant Offworlders a lesson!”

His comment was answered by a throaty cheer. Swords and axes raised to the ceiling.

Someone yelled.” Let us call Sif, she is our new representative.”

Exa agreed. “Uncle Isegrim we have money. Let us charter a ship!”

Aunt Freydis held up her PDD. “I called our son, Eric-Narth, he will ask the Narth to send transportation.”

--””—

The Assembly had suspended all regular business, and before the speaker could ask the Assembly to vote on the request of Admiral Augustus. The old Saresii representative asked to speak:

“Members of the Assembly, citizens of the Union. I am Alegar Moansti, by your grace called a Wiseman of this illustrious Assembly. I once was the representative of the Saresii, and I am still the chairperson of the security council. I know the full content of both documents.”

Alegar bowed gracefully and then began to address the Assembly and through it every citizen that listened or watched.

The Saresii began:

“The United Stars of the Galaxies is an open and free community where every citizen has fundamental rights and where the Citizens are the government. Where the power comes from the people and where representatives are employees of Citizens and not rulers or leaders.

This simple yet powerful framework; this very foundation of our society was put into place by four societies and has since been adopted and accepted by almost five thousand civilizations as of today.

This very Assembly is a direct expression of that.

To create a safe and free society it was also recognized that a society must have secrets that needed to be protected from outside forces that do not share our values.

It was agreed by this very Assembly that it is imperative to maintain intelligence and counterintelligence forces and organizations.

This was a dilemma right from the start. Posed by the necessity of keeping secrets, the fundamental rule that the Union must always adhere to higher moral standards and be accountable to its citizens was debated for a very long time during the creation of this Union.

The second amendment to the Union Constitution clearly states that: ‘No one and nothing is above the laws ratified by the Body of all Assembly members.’

Yet to function and keep the enemies at bay, secret services cannot always adhere to common laws and higher moral standards.

Secrets were kept by the military and an intelligence committee. High ranking officials such as the president and members of the Conference.

However, the Peace Hawk incident and later the recent chaos caused by a president revealed to be a Kermac operative showed that this system was very flawed.

The office of the president was stripped of all military connections and has since then completely abolished, along with government departments, secretaries and so forth.

The Assembly is an open affair that is accessible to all Citizens and therefore also to potential spies. This is a simple truth and thus it was decided to have certain issues pertaining to military and secret services discussed by a selected panel of Assembly representatives.”

The Saresii only paused for a heartbeat and went on. “To address this issue, a simple solution was found. Not experts, but you the citizens, should decide. A Union-wide discussion was the result and the Assembly called for a general vote.

The conclusion of this discussion and vote was the creation of a Security Council that would have access to all secrets, evaluate them and then representing the results of their findings without the classified details to the Assembly to vote on.

To make sure this Security Council did not become an unlawful elite, it was decreed that the members of this council could serve no longer than three years. That a random process picked new members out of a pool of suitable candidates. That any citizen could apply to be part of this pool. Only three requirements are needed to become a suitable member. Full citizenship, a minimum level of cognitive comprehension and very detailed background check for the necessary security clearance.

After becoming a member of the Security Council, a code name and number are added to the CITI. The new council member receives two months of additional schooling, is checked by the PSI corps and must complete a psych evaluation. No security council member knows the identity of other members to prevent intimidation or voting by peer pressure.

This process selects 180 individuals, once every month to form the Covered Council. It is done so there is always an active full body of them present right here at the Assembly.

They discuss classified Fleet, intel and military issues, discuss sensitive information with members of the intelligence community, and then as you all know, advise the Assembly without going into specifics.”

Again, the Saresii interrupted his address for only the briefest moment. “Still there are issues that require even a higher level of security and secrecy. Like the secret of our Translocator cannons.

The Covered Council suggested the creation of a small group of individuals that are beyond reproach. The Assembly agreed with this and authorized the formation of this group that became known as the Gray Ghosts.

Everyone in the Assembly knows they exist, and the lawfulness of that group has been ratified last only a week ago. Who the Gray Ghosts are is perhaps the most guarded secret of the Union?”

Alegar paused. “I am, or better I was one of them and authorized to reveal this fact as I am now officially retiring from this group.”

He paused but there was not a single sound in the entire Assembly.

However, Admiral Augustus was neither impressed nor very interested. “It might be fascinating to a few, I am sure. However, I fail to see the connection to this case. This is not an Assembly session where certain members waste the time of others with insubstantial stories. We are here to find the accused criminal guilty and hang him. So, I can continue my important task to clean our fleet from this accumulated filth, punish all guilty and show you how a fleet is supposed to be led. Speaker of the Assembly I repeat my request and call for a decision to expose these documents or even better a guilty vote.”

The Speaker of the Assembly said. “While it is rude and impolite, the Admiral has a point. Please make your point to the issue at hand or I must call for the requested vote.”

Alegar said. “Captain Olafson acted under direct orders of Fleet command. His appointment and course of actions were recommended by the Gray Ghost, discussed and voted on by the Covered Committee and presented as Operation Fish to the Assembly. The Assembly approved the operation.”

Augustus puffed his fat cheeks. “That means nothing. The fact remains that a Midshipman acted many years as Captain, committed crimes, conducted piracy, conspired with criminals chiefly the never caught pirate Black Velvet. A vile and disgusting privateer wanted for murder, piracy and slave trafficking. He operated a Union Navy vessel in Free space. He killed and murdered, sabotaged and destroyed Fleet equipment. He conspires with known enemies. Page 474 of his logbook states that he allowed a Nul aboard his ship, and not as a prisoner. The Nul were our enemies back then just to remind you. Now it appears He even has a Y’All among his crew. I put on record that I oppose the addition of these mindless brutes to our Union. We should not trust them. Especially because this impostor Stahl vouched for them.”

Augustus ignored the growling objection of the Y’All representative and the Nul representative getting up.

“Sit down, Nul, it is my turn to speak.”

The fat Admiral also ignored many other voices of objection.” This Assembly is often blinded, and civilians simply lack the foresight and wisdom of a highly trained military expert as I am. Now let me continue.”

He pointed at Olafson. “This derelict signs most of his logbook entries as Erica, clearly he is not female. Falsifying names in logbooks is a serious offense.

But perhaps the most heinous secret of his is that he is the actual owner of Alvor’s Cove. He writes in the log to be the Local Lord of this notorious slave planet. It has only been cleansed by the fleet a year ago.”

The Pan Saran Representative got up. Unlike Augustus, he looked every inch like a Pan Saran and that he wore mirror-polished breastplate was a clear sign he had served in the military. “In the name of the Pan Saran Empire, I apologize for this man, but to stay on the subject Admiral Augustus. these are indeed the most serious allegations I have ever heard, but allegations they are until exposed as facts or dismissed as false. A vote to condemn a person to death must be based on evidence, not opinions.”

Augustus interrupted the Pan Saran representative with a snort. “No wonder we get nowhere when civilians keep interrupting just to state already known facts. I want you to open these records so I can show you the extent of his crimes.”

The Pan Saran Representative stemmed his fists into his hips. “And you must have slept while they discussed the Assembly at Union School. You made a request and we will vote on it after we asked all the questions. Also, I am a civilian now, but I am retired Captain Gaius Brutus and served the Union and the Fleet for sixty-eight years. Furthermore, you interrupted me before I was able to complete my question.”

“So, you are a retired Captain. Sixty-Eight years and not promoted, maybe you sympathize with this impostor and consider that so-called Eternal Warrior a role model.

Perhaps I need to investigate your service record too after I am done with this one. I am only 48 and thanks to my adherence to rules and strict observation of regulations I was recognized and made Admiral, think about that before you interrupt and try to stall the declassification of these documents.”

Brutus gasped and then said to the Assembly. “He must have taken lessons from the Kermac, he certainly is not acting like a Pan Saran.”

Augustus snapped angrily. “Sit down, your observations and insults are not substantial. Speaker, call for the Vote.”

Brutus did not sit down. “There won’t be a vote until all, including my questions, are answered.

Why have you arrested Captain Olafson? If you do not have all the facts your investigation is not complete this arrest is unlawful.”

“You are a fool, citizen Brutus. He admitted to everything, my arrest prevented the escape of the vilest criminal in Union Fleet history. I had enough to arrest this man.”

“Since you declare you had enough evidence to order his arrest and thus this hearing, you do not need to have unrestricted access in my opinion. The fleet does not classify documents without a reason. I vote to deny you access.”

Brutus smiled as he noticed the many nodding heads and the angry face of Augustus.

The Speaker said. “This is a valid question and no vote can be called as long as it remains open.”

Augustus became even angrier. “I arrested this man because I had reason to believe he would try to escape. Yes, I have more than enough to prosecute but I want all his crimes exposed.”

The Blue representative asked to be heard and said.

“Logic then dictates that you prosecute with what you have and once he is found guilty, he can be held until the rest is properly investigated and added to his charges. You then have the needed time to file for the necessary clearances. I too find it risky to expose potential military secrets so highly classified to everyone. I too recommend denying the request.”

The Boloth representative was next. “You asked for the defendant’s death, so you must have enough already to convince us this is indeed the fitting punishment. You cannot ask for a more severe punishment even if he committed more crimes what difference does it make? You convict him, he receives the most severe punishment there is and pays for all his crimes and military secrets stay save. I too recommend declining this request.”

When the Avatar of Mothermachine spoke, everyone fell silent. “I know the full document and I cannot find any crimes, but I do not ask you to simply take my word for it. Have the Security Council read the classified part and have them decide if we can indeed declassify them in public or not? At the same time, they can scrutinize them for any crimes.”

“Unacceptable, who knows how long this committee needs to read these big documents. It could take months.”

“Then by your argument, it will take you time to read and analyze these records and documents. Certainly, more than 48 hours. Opening the documents will end this hearing as you must scrutinize it all. You argued that you want to expose all his crimes, correct?”

Mothermachine’ s logic cornered him and now if he got his wish granted. Eric would go free as he arrested him and already called for a hearing. Normally he could still ask for a court-martial but that would take months and he was no longer sure they extended his mandate, but all this was mood as he called for an Assembly verdict and nothing, but death was more final. “No, I do not need to have the documents declassified. I indeed have enough.”

He focused his attention back on the accused and found Olafson sleeping. “Midshipman Olafson, attention!”

The Neo Viking stretched his arms and lazily crossed his legs.

“I called you to attention and expect you to comply. Even a Midshipman knows that.”

“And I expected you to salute me when I came in, even an Admiral knows that.”

“Salute you, a Midshipman about to be stripped of all ranks and convicted of high crimes? Don’t make it worse than it already is. Making me angry is not advisable.”

“Making it worse than being threatened with the death penalty? But let me educate you, Admiral April. According to regulation 1412. General Orders. Medal of Honor recipients are to be greeted with full military honor, regardless of rank. I got three of these, my XO has two and so does almost every member of my crew. Yet you ignored them. One could think that you are best buddies with us, and we all asked you to forgo this regulation mandated courtesy, but then I am pretty sure no one following these procedures is under that impression. I think you convinced even the Camogi that you and I are not exactly friends and they are still somewhat confused when it comes to human interaction. So, one could almost think you disregarded a very straight forward and quite important regulation?

Narth leaned forward. “I am certain he ignored it. The possibility he has any positive sentiment towards you is rather astronomic and sensing your feelings towards him makes me dismiss the first possibility altogether.”

Har Hi kept his arms crossed. “He probably never seen a real medal in the first place. I bet our Shail could outpace him without his hover sled.”

A Shail in the second row wiggled his feeler stalks. “I am certain I could.”

The accused Neo Viking casually conversed with his friends, while most of the Union was listening in.

Augustus fumed. “I am the one who conducts the investigation and asks questions. I am not going to greet an Impostor with decorations he obtained under false pretense.”

“Are my shipmates accused?”

“Not yet!”

“Then you failed to greet them. Now to accuse me of obtaining military decoration under false pretense is a serious insult, but declaring that my Medals of Honor were so obtained is an attack on my honor and once this is over I will challenge you to a duel and you better be there because I assure you would not want to see me angry!”

“You have no honor!”

“All I heard are accusations. I give you ten more minutes to back your claims with proof or I am leaving.”

Augustus laughed. “You are leaving nowhere but to the gallows. Move and I have the marines restrain or shoot you.”

Stahl gave Eric a pleading look and Eric relaxed.

“Who made you Acting Captain?”

“For what ship?”

“What ship? Are there more?”

“Yes, the USS Devastator and the USS Tigershark”

Augustus laughed. “You don’t help your case if you ridicule me. Everyone knows Captain Harris was her Captain at that time. Nelson, access Devastator logbook files and check if Olafson was ever even near that ship.”

Stahl could barely contain his snickering while McElligott had lost all hope.

Nelson II chirped happily. “Captain Eric Olafson served his Midshipman year aboard the USS Devastator and was her Acting Captain as part of the rare, but Fleet Command approved Command ability test.”

Augustus and quite a few observers dropped their chins.

“Admiral Stahl, were you aware of this? The ship is in your fleet!”

“I ordered the big test and Captain Olafson uncovered a munition theft ring, prevented a Kermac PSI Spore attack and defeated a full Dai Tribe while he commanded her. Earning him the Orion Cross for doing so.”

“That this Navy needs serious restructuring and a purge of senile leadership becomes very apparent. The Assembly will be grateful to me exposing this lunacy, but that is subject to another hearing I am going to demand. How do you explain giving a Midshipman command over our largest ship, putting thousands of lives at risk?”

Stahl was no longer amused, McElligott disliked Stahl but he knew him for a very long time and wondered when the Eternal Warrior would finally erupt. He prayed to all saints he knew that there was at least a light-year distance between him and Stahl. From the looks of it, only the direct intervention of God could make that happen and that was not very likely.

Stahl took a very deep breath and said. “Only my devotion to law and order restrains me from doing what I want to do right now. It is the first time in my long life I considering breaking it and your neck right after my decision. The Assembly gave you the power to summon me and that is the reason I am here. If the Assembly concludes that I am not fit to do my job, I will hand in my immediate resignation. For now, I will answer your questions.

Testing the command ability of a young officer is part of the process to find Captains. Every commanding officer will have to make life and death decisions. Not just for him but every soul under his or her command. To this day there is no known method to teach that. It must be there from the start. The Academy process uses constant tests, from the very first day to filter out those who are not meant to command. It uses thousands of scenarios and tests. To expose an untested young officer to a very real unexpected situation where real decisions must be made is a time tested and approved method to do so. My decision to test Midshipman Olafson and others before him is part of Command school. Hands-on field experience in real situations is far superior to any simulated tests.

Like others before him, Olafson showed to have this natural command ability and was groomed to become a Starship captain from the start. Since you failed in every single test and your instructors and evaluators strongly recommended that you are never considered for a command position, I will explain it to you, but more so to the Assembly.

Command ability is not demonstrated by giving an order and expect it to be carried out. It is the ability to give the right order at the right moment, each and every time without thinking of rules and regulations yet adhering to them. It is the ability to make the right decision no matter what sacrifice and hardship it might cause including the death of every single person under his or her command. Including one’s best friends, family, and ultimate self-sacrifice without a moment of hesitation. It is the ability to lead others without the need for ranks by inspiring others to follow orders given. Execute them out of conviction and the desire to do the very best and sacrifice everything to achieve the objective. It cannot be taught or quantified. It must be there and be at the core of a being. The single most important task of our fleet is to find those individuals and hone their skills and ability.”

Stahl had talked facing Augustus but now he spoke into the Cam bot and thus to the Assembly and the Union.

“There is no Command specialization at the Academy for that very reason. Command school is not there to teach something that cannot be taught. It only gives the future Captain the tools to do the day to day job. Not a single word or class is taught on what it means to command. Everyone admitted knows it already. Serving as an XO is a time-tested method to add experience, to develop his or her command style. Neither Command school nor being an XO is required or codified in any regulation. The only requirement becoming a Captain is demonstrating the ability to command a Union ship to the satisfaction of five senior command officers who in turn recommend the Captain’s commission to fleet command. Captain Brutus who was ridiculed before the entire Union only moments ago, was the Captain of the USS R’Tisis is a prime example. He too succeeded in that same test.”

A sudden swell of voices confirmed that many remembered the R’Tisis.

Augustus used the pause to interrupt, “Well you did answer the question. I want only simple yes and no answers. Why is everyone using this stage to grandstand? A...”

Now Admiral Augustus was interrupted by the Voridian representative. “I put forth the motion to let Admiral Stahl finish. Usually, all we get to hear is the short reports of Stahl’s successes and deeds. We never really hear him talk. Now he revealed the identity of the hero of Voridia. I received 45 million requests of my people in the last minute to laud Captain Brutus and I will do so later, but now I call for an imminent vote to let Stahl talk as much as he wants. We might never get the chance to hear him that long again.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.