Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 20: Augustus

“As much as it was entertaining and exciting even, I think I had enough of traveling and chasing after thieves and all that,” Egill said as he walked through the Burke Doors of the Assembly Sphere next to Alegar and the Narth Representative.

The statuesque Saresii brushed over the soft velvet material of the tight mauve-colored catsuit and nodded. “I share that sentiment. I am reaching that age where simple creature comforts and predictable routine activities gain importance, not that we really have any business here anymore.”

“That you favor creature comforts became quite obvious.” Egill countered. “You looked all beast when you became that cat creature.”

“I did not become a Gray Cat, I merely channeled aspects of this ancient creature of Saresii lore. That you weren’t exactly an old feeble human was equally evident during the climax of our adventure.”

“That wasn’t me. Ever since that episode in that space station hospital. I think a real Aseir channeled through me. I think the same happened to an old man on my home planet. Elkhart, the First Keeper. I think Odin himself borrowed his shell or something.”

Their Narth friend said.”The Aseir developed from a tribe of the First Humanity and eventually became a society of entities appearing as gods to those of lesser development.”

Egill looked at his friend. “It makes perfect sense and is most likely exactly the reason, Aseir look like humans, but I think we don’t need to educate Nilfheim and Neo Vikings about these details.”

“It is conceivable that the Aseir and many other of these perceived gods will no longer interfere with the Prime Reality. The entity that we know aa Eric has collapsed and destroyed many realms and mended all tears and holes in the Veil Cosmic.”

Alegar asked.”Does that mean the end of all mystic and supernatural?”

“There never was anything supernatural, there are just different levels of comprehension. One is but a Narth and can not tell what remains, what will develop or what will occur. One knows however, the Omniverse is once again governed by the RULE and all creation abides.”

Egill pointed towards a small crowd gathering around a group of display cabinets.

The Speaker of the Assembly, the first Nul holding this position solemnly unveiled these brand new displays. The rubble and damage of the theft were gone.

They noticed Alycia and Luci Fera prominent among the onlookers. Alegar also spotted Angela Curse among the Coven sisters also in attendance. Of course, Union media was also there.

Egill and his friends silently approached to see what was going on.

Alycia despite her eyes on the ceremony, noticed them and said to Egill. “Good to see the Wisemen once more among the voices of the Assembly.”

“We were just contemplating what our role should be going forward. The new Nilfeheim representative, the Saresii delegate and the Narth are doing a good job.”

Alycia smiled a fine smile. “Neither the Union nor this hallowed Assembly has found an adequate replacement for the Three Wisemen.”

“Why not join us then?” Alegar asked.”

“This wonderful institution has grown organically, it was never planned or purposely created. If it ever needs to expand it will do so. Besides I am not a member of the Assembly. I am still the PSI Corps Commandant and in this role I am content.”

“What is occurring here?”

“The scroll of the Prophecy has been returned to the Coven and we are returning it to this restored display. The prophecy is fulfilled and the scroll nothing more than a document.”

“What of the Coven now?” The Narth wanted to know.

“Our society is no longer punished, trapped or in need of hiding. Our dual nature no longer linked to the demonic origin. The Dark One granted us freedom and our own realm.”

She pointed towards Luci. “My friend is that realm’s master. A passage to her realm was established on Coven. The reign and legacy of demonic influence and interference have been ended. Luci Fera will be a citizen soon and so will Angela.”

“I am sure being the mother of the WEAPON given her special consideration,” Egill suggested.

Alycia shook her head. Alice is the WEAPON no more. She has resumed her role as a Union Officer.”

The small crowd applauded as the last showcase had been uncovered.

--””—

Rex Schwartz had told his daughter that he had tried to follow her. He lied about his true intentions. The crew of the Tigershark helped him getting in control of the shuttle. Balthazaar, the Seenian Sentmac returned a few hours later as the only survivor.

Now Rex had returned to Omni planet. The secret tomb of Invictus was just a dead and crumbling room. Whatever consciousness he and that First Emperor shared remained silent. Rex knew beyond any doubt that Invictus Rex was now truly dead and gone.

But the words of the Dark One remained in his mind. New entities would rise, develop sources and minds of this new Omniverse.

Rex was certain it would take millions, perhaps billions of years but the chance that he was the seed of such a new entity was enough to stir his mind. He was immortal and time meant little.

He now knew about Avondur and the Tomradi.

“Yvonne, terminate and destroy any program related to Invictus. New core directive, find a permanent way to Avondur and prepare everything for a new meeting with the Tomradi. Open a new file “Shards od the Key” and Omega encrypt it.”

“Yes, Master.”

--””—

The Thauran Commodore stood at the window of his office and looked over the Pacific Ocean far below. It took him a while to understand that the locals meant that orange steel construct spanning the San Francisco Bay when they talked about the bridge and not the Union bridge across the transgalactic void to the Andromeda galaxy.

Of course, after sixteen years stationed here, and having a beautiful home not far from here in the Napa Valley he felt like a local too, even started wearing sunglasses.

He then turned and paid once more attention to his visitor, a rather unpleasant Pan Saran Rear Admiral lower half Marcus Augustus. Unlike the majority of Pan Sarans, he was not muscular or tall, but on the contrary quite short and despite all medical choices and body fitness options overweight in a flabby ungainly way.

Commodore Rabyr wondered how this man could have ever passed the Academy or graduated looking that way.

The admiral repeated his request, that made the Commodore get up and look out the window in the first place.

The short admiral said:

“Look Commodore Rabyr, I don’t care if he knows the Admiral of the fleet himself. I want a hearing to determine a court-martial. In all my life I have never noticed so many direct violations of regulations of one single captain. And I had access only to a part of the logbook. I want full access to all records and I want him before a Commission and conduct a full hearing.”

“He does know the Admiral of the Fleet and more so the Admiral knows him. Quite well I might add.”

The fat Pan Saran glared angrily. “So what, that does not give him the right to violate regulations. This entire culture of hero worship has gone way too far. Not that I believe even ten percent of what he supposedly has done.”

“He has done that and much more, the Eternal Warrior has confirmed it.”

“That is exactly what I mean by hero worship. All these legends and myths. Don’t tell me you believe that carefully maintained legend of immortal admirals. We all know it is mere propaganda for the enemies. Most likely a name bestowed on special officer controlled by NAVINT.”

Rabyr looked at the Admiral as if he was insane. “Stahl, a myth? Are you a Union fleet officer? No, I should ask: Are you a real Union citizen?”

“Of course, and I am sick and tired of anyone telling me the same propaganda. Whenever someone mentions this name stupid flag-waving propaganda induced hero-worship ensues. Anyone with a real brain will know that no Admiral ever fired a gun in war. I am sure you know plenty of those ridiculous stories of this so-called hero fighting ground battles in the most dangerous situations. A real admiral, of course, stays away as far as possible from any possible danger. Heck, even our own Pan Saran Emperor insists on having talked to the real Stahl.

However, it matters not that everyone is so gullible or perhaps not brave enough to state the truth. What matters is, that according to Fleet regulation I have the right, the very duty to demand that this so-called Captain Olafson is brought before a committee of senior officers where he is confronted with his numerous offenses. Especially since I found out that he is an acting captain and has never even served as an XO or spend one minute in command school. I checked his personal record at least of what was not classified beyond my clearance, he was never fully commissioned. Do I have to order you to arrest him or must I do that myself?”

The Thauran gasped. “You want him arrested? Oh, you better do that yourself!”

“You are the head of Fleet Security in this sector. You must arrest him. I hereby order you to arrest Eric Olafson.”

“Then I insist on a signed order to do so, before witnesses and with all charges spelled out.”

“How can I spell out all his charges. The logs are still classified and so are most of his personnel records. I have requested the declassification of the adjustment of my clearance to see it all. It is just a formality of course and will be granted any moment. In the meantime, I hereby order you to arrest Acting Captain, Midshipman Eric Olafson.”

The Thauran used his intercom to call for two officers and then tied in the Computronic and said. “For the record please repeat your order.”

“Ridiculous of course, but I am not afraid of simulated legends and long-dead admirals conjured up to impress the simple masses and the gullible enemies. I, Admiral Augustus of the Regulations Committee and record-keeping division hereby request that Eric Olafson, acting captain of the USS Tigershark is arrested and put under full restraint until a hearing for his court-martial can be convened.”

That the two officers looked like someone told them space wasn’t black was not unexpected, but that the Computronic, which was one of the most advanced systems in the known universe chimed in. “Admiral Augustus do you feel unwell or are you using official Fleet resources to make jokes?” was highly noteworthy.

The admiral glared towards the ceiling. “It appears the GalCom connection to Nelson II is faulty or this machine needs to be assessed for malfunctions. I issued a clear and precise order. I am of good health and I am an Officer. I will not be questioned by a mere machine.”

“Your order has been recorded. However, I might add that the GalCom connection is perfectly fine and one functions well within all parameters.”

The admiral did not listen and said to the Thauran. “See that it is done before this imposter tries to escape. As I understand he is on Earth and visits Norway.” He left without anyone having a chance to say anything.”

The Thauran said to the closing door. “You could teach us Thaurans what self-importance is. Even the Grand Wizard of the Kermac has nothing on you.”

To Nelson II he added. “Never mind him, everyone knows you are certainly not a mere machine.”

“Commodore Rabyr. One is not capable of being insulted, However, if I would have human emotions I would feel sorry for him.”

One of the officers present was a Dai. “Yes, I agree.”

The Saresii that has also been called to witness asked.” Why would you feel sorry for him? He most likely finds himself on the civilian side of life.”

The Dai shook his head. “He most likely finds himself on the other side of life. He is an officer after all.”

The Saresii still didn’t get it.

The Dai said. “If Olafson feels insulted he might challenge the man to a gentleman’s affair and I doubt he survives that one for more than a second. My tribe lords first son is Olafson’s best friend. Eric Olafson is a Juth-Ni”

The Computronic actually laughed. “One has not computed that possibility, but it is true. One was contemplating what will happen if that Admiral was actually meeting what he believes is an insubstantial, conjured legend. If one would be curious one would wish to be present when that happens.”

Rabyr grinned. “Nelson, if I can, I make it happen.”

“One would be very grateful.”

The Dai said. “I think Nelson II has a hidden but very fine sense of humor.”

“One finds the prospect of relaying this development to Mothermachine quite stimulating. One is pleased the concept of humor is correctly processed.”

--””--

Admiral McElligott could not believe the report, first considered it a joke or hoax and was angry that someone even dared to make a joke like that. After Nelson II however confirmed that it was quite real, he paled. “Sweet mother of God. Quick let us clear the incident before Stahl hears of it and before they have a chance to try to arrest Olafson. It could end in a catastrophe.”

“One must apologize, Admiral. I am simultaneous informing the Eternal Warrior.”

McElligott cursed like a true highlander and then paused in his anger. “Connect me with Stahl.”

The Admiral of the Fleet looked into the face of the other immortal admiral. Stahl was wearing a heavy destroyer suit sans helmet standing before a background of smoldering ruins and a deep red sky. McElligott rolled his eyes. “You can’t stay away from the front lines. You are not a marine grunt, your an admiral.”

“I have always been a marine first and foremost and I have never ceased to be a grunt. It is the front lines where the war happens, not in some cozy super secure command center light years away from the action. Now we had a rough time taking this system. The Warog are as tough as they come and they don’t give up easily, but that battle we just fought is nothing compared to the shit storm your personal inquisitor, that sorry excuse of a Union officer is about to kick loose. You know what I said when you promoted that pile of flabby dough to admiral rank.”

“I resented what you said then as I do now. He did a very thorough job of enforcing our regulations. Only by strict adherence to regulations can we hope to run the Navy as it must be run.”

Stahl snorted disgustedly. “You don’t even buy that line. What about regulation 74075-PF? How did that sack of fat manage to get past the physical fitness requirement?”

“Officers of admiral rank are exempt from this regulation. You are the only Admiral insisting training with boot camp marines.”

“So you tell me that thing you call an admiral was a picture of fitness until he became an admiral? Well, I am done hearing your sad excuses for questionable personnel decisions.”

“I am still your superior and I resent being ridiculed by you. Now how we are going to deal with the situation? I want you to call Captain Olafson and make sure he is not reacting the wrong way, while I try to stop Admiral Augustus before it even comes to that.”

Now Stahl grinned. “Oh, we are doing it exactly by the book. You told me just a month ago that this so-called Admiral was empowered by you to scrutinize command officers and make sure they followed all rules and regulations. You also ordered me to stay out of it, Admiral Sir. Besides I already received a priority one summon from said Admiral to appear at said hearing.”

McElligott swallowed hard. “I will, of course, order him to disregard that and remove him from office. Now you need to help. Olafson could summon his alter ego and that could very well cause some damage before we can contain him. He is on Earth!”

“Contain him? Have you not heard the Narth Supreme. No force in the Universe could stop him. However, he gave me his word that he is still an Officer and Union citizen and that is all I need to know. Oh, and if you stop that summon, you need the Assembly to do that; as it was you who gave him Union level investigative authority. Doing it without the Assembly is not just a breach of regulations and I will be the first summoning you to the Assembly so you can explain it to them.”

McElligott never really liked Stahl, but he knew if he summoned him to the Assembly not even the Grey Ghosts could save him. There was no denying it, Stahl was easily the most beloved and respected person in all Union history.

While he was the Admiral of the Fleet and had the highest military command authority, he had no illusions that ninety percent of the fleet would follow Stahl if he asked them to and of course every marine active, reserve or retired and most of the Union would cheer him doing it. Luckily Stahl was integrity incarnate and would never do that. He angrily terminated the connection.

After a moment staring at the blank field screen, he barked at the computronic. “Nelson II, why are you addressing me correctly and address Stahl with this ridiculous nickname? You are a machine for Christ’s sake”

“One has access to the entire service history of Admiral Stahl and one finds this a very befitting title.”

“It’s not a title. He is an admiral nothing more.”

“Bellebee research concluded that this epithet was first used by editors of the Galactic Chronicle after the successful defeat of the Y’All invasion. The term was also used by Mothermachine and made into an official title by the request of Queen T’Snikk before the Assembly in 3912. It might interest you that this request was passed within ten minutes of standing ovation and with a rare one hundred percent approval. It could be argued that this is neither a nickname nor ridiculous. The Assembly declared by vote and act it to be a title.”

--””--

It was perhaps the strangest arrest in Union history after six heavy-armed flyers deposited an entire platoon of Marines at the Atlantic beach near Hammerfest where Captain Olafson in swimming trunks exited the ice-cold water and the rows of marines stood in attention while the Marine Commander saluted him. “Sir, I am proud it is me who has the honor of arresting you!”

The Neo Viking fleet officer looked completely baffled. “You are proud to do what?”

“Sir, Admiral Augustus has ordered your arrest and to be brought before a military commission so you may be charged with commanding a space ship without proper commission and infractions against several fleet regulations. Not to worry, Sir.”

Still confused the captain said. “I am arrested by an entire Marine platoon in full battle dress, a full regiment of Cerberus on charges that make no sense and I should not be worried?”

“Sir, the Admiral of the Fleet is on his way from Arsenal furious about what happened, he wanted to order your immediate release and deal with the affair a different way, but the Eternal Warrior currently at the very front in the Killgore system is summoned to this very same hearing and to be arrested if he ignores that summon.”

The marine straightened his stance even further.” Sir, Admiral Stahl asked me to convey this personal message: Play along, I want this to be the rope a certain kilt-wearing fool hangs himself. Sir, these are exactly his words.”

The marine was quite angry as he said that. “Admiral Stahl also wanted you to know, he will comply and assured us you will too.”

Then he pointed to the robots and armed flyers. “Admiral McElligott was not so sure and wanted us to take precautions. On a personal note, my marines and I are here to have the honor to meet you.”

Eric raised an eyebrow. “Admiral Stahl was threatened to be arrested? Summoned from the front during a war?”

“As a marine, I am not allowed to criticize command.”

He took off his rank insignia and then said. “As a citizen however I can. McElligott wanted to enforce the rules and set an example by scrutinizing a few high ranking or famous officers. To show the Assembly that he is in command and not Stahl. It backfired and I can’t wait for that hearing.”

Eric rolled his eyes and held out his hands. “Handcuffs or prisoner suit?”

“Neither one, Sir. You are not judged yet and your word is as good to me as that of Admiral Stahl.”

“You just used the only restraints that could hold me, Commander. Can I get dressed?”

--””—

Admiral Augustus was not sure if he liked the way the affair developed. He wanted the hearing done with hand-picked Officers and inside a military courtroom. While he still had the officers he selected to chair the hearing with him; and while it was still to be held inside the impressive and imposing central courtroom of fleet command Earth. However, It was now to be simulcast to the Assembly and thus to the general public.

He specifically ordered the Computronic to issue gag orders to all involved. What he had overlooked is that he did not include the cursed Computronic.

“Nelson II, I specifically issued gag orders. These proceedings were to be held militarily and not become a public circus. What do the simple civilians know of military proceedings? This order included you!”

He fumed and added. “You are disobeying direct orders given! I will, therefore, order your deactivation and have you replaced with a machine that obeys.”

Admiral Augustus was certain he detected the amused tone in the AIs voice.

“You requested that any person and member of the Union Spatial Navy associated with this case is to be gagged of discussing any details with non-spatial fleet personnel. One, as you pointed out is a machine. One is not a member of the Union Spatial Navy and neither are the United Stars Marines, the Union Army members, the Space Force officers or the thirty-four thousand seventy-three civilian clerks that are aware of this case. Furthermore, you were appointed by recommendation of the Admiral of the Fleet to be a special investigator and prosecutor in cases of gross misconduct and violation of Navy rules and regulations by Navy personnel. I am by definition technical equipment and you have no authority to order my deactivation. Such an attempt, I may add is a violation of regulation 17221 and could be considered an act of sabotage of Navy equipment essential to the war effort.”

Augustus paled and hastily added. “This was not an order, just a test and is to be ignored and deleted.”

Nelson happily chirped. “On March 5th,5030 at 0922 hrs. Admiral M. Augustus conducted an unauthorized test on Fleet Main Computronic and then ordered the test results to be ignored and deleted. Test results deleted.”

Augustus was now satisfied that this episode was erased. He who prosecuted others for misconduct could not be accused of breaking the rules himself. Thankfully when a Computronic deleted something, it was gone.

--””--

The courtroom was indeed impressive and usually used in the very rare times when a starship captain was accused of very serious matters. In the almost 3000 years of Union fleet history, only a very small number was ever convicted stripped of their rank and command and their names placed in the hall of shame.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.