Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 11: It begins

We finally arrived at the Camogi system. It had no planets as I found out, but there was a Gigamon station.

I learned that the Camogi occupied the actual Neutron star that was the only natural body in the system. While the Camogi were Union members for quite a while as their Union member number 2011 indicated, they were certainly among the most unusual Sentient life forms known. Discovered long ago by Wurgus Solar Engineers on the surface of a Neutron Star now known as Camogi Home.

We were towing not only the big chunk of the Earlies seeder ship, but also the apparently dead ship of the Unpronounceable, or more precisely the withered hulk that it was now.

I knew we were taxing the Tigershark to her limits and had literally crawled to Quasi Space and didn’t exactly break any speed records in translight either.

While on course to the most distant Union system in the Spinward sector, I took the time to read up on the Camogi. The Wurgus recognized the Camogi as a life form but failed to make contact and left.

After the Wurgus joined and Science Corps scholars gained access to Wurgus records, the Wurgus reports of a life form occupying an actual Neutron star caused quite a stirr and a Union Explorer with a Non-Corp as Captain was sent on a long journey to this remote region of the M-0 galaxy concerning Union space. The Explorer and the Non-Corp were able to establish contact. The Camogi excited about learning of other life forms immediately applied for membership. There was some initial opposition to them joining, leading to a Union Direct Vote which refused to deny their membership request by an 89% vote.

Due to their truly different needs and their unique environment, they are unable to participate directly in any Union Activities. It took almost 80 years to create a special super shielded GalNet terminal that could be placed in the Neutron Star environment and be used by the Camogi.

The Camogi, unable to leave and travel to other places were now able to travel via size reduced Avatars. Despite their fast lifespans, about 200 generations of Camogi live and perish every day, they can instantly transfer all knowledge to the next generation. Camogi have no real individuals but Generation group clusters that act as “individuals” and are constantly come into existence and die. Camogi have no names and the Generation Clusters identify themselves as Camogi Cluster and a mathematical expression that reflects their constant flow.

I had to read it three times and it still was nearly impossible for me to comprehend, but Narth, Shea and Two-Three were quite excited to meet and talk to Camogi Clusters. Narth found it particularly stimulating to talk to Camogi- R-664+Vector P I about the concept of heat.

I rolled my eyes looking over to him while he happily chatted with the Camogi. “You realize I will never be a very good Narth.”

“Probably not.” He agreed. “But you do know that their intuitive understanding of subatomic matter and energy lead to the experimental Engines of our ship?”.

Shaka said. “Boy, I am glad we are finally here, Captain. Two minutes to Quasi Drop.”

“I feel you, my friend, we are not meant to be a long-range tug, but I didn’t want to leave these things behind. Capturing that Ypeherix leader has helped Shea to figure them out. Besides, we just scratched the surface on that Earlies seeder thing.”

Shea turned. “It is no mystery anymore, what the Ypherix are all about. Ypeherix reproduces asexually by budding off parts of themselves in the form of DNA-rich spores, which they then launch. Such a spore will land on a new planet and develop into a near-perfect clone of the parent. The spores can also be inhaled by other Ypeherix as a mechanism to exchange genetic material. The Ypeherix indicates that this process is much more complex and allows them to select which genes, memories, and even personality fragments to transfer via the genetic material to their offspring.

The Ypeherix colonize worlds through aggressive terraforming. They launch their Egg spheres into the crust of the planet’s surface where its tendrils grow, molding the environment of the planet...”

I had to stop her, as she would have shared the entire paper she no doubt wrote. “Fascinating, indeed. But we are here folks.”

Right after drop, we received orders to put our towed prizes in a parking orbit and wait for the arrival of 123rd fleet.

Har-Hi had checked and informed me that the 123rd was stationed 1002 lightyears away at a system called Core Connect. The Camogi system was within their patrol range until the 130th was officially created and deployed.

Elfi made her usual hand signal to get my attention and said. “I got the Commandant of the 123rd on GalCom hailing us.”

“Put him on then.”

“Good First Hour to you, Captain Olafson. This is Admiral Eriksson of the 123rd. I am on my way with the First BG and should reach Camogi System in about 35 hours.”

“Good First Hour indeed. it is good to be back in Union Space. Sir.”

“Letting you know, the Old Highlander is on his way as well, with a gaggle of Sci Corps ships, but it will take him a good 5 weeks to make it all the way down here. No HHW gates this far into Spinward.”

“Understood, Sir.”

“Captain Olafson, I am looking forward to seeing your famous Den. I am bringing Holsteiner and Aquavit. The Admiral with the neatly trimmed snow-white beard smiled.”I am from New Sweden and know a thing or two about Neo Vikings and the Norse. We share common roots, Captain.”

After that call, we did as ordered and approached the station.

Mao sighed. “Wonder what will happen to all of us. I fear there will be promotions and genuine transfers.”

Har-Hi had a clouded expression on his face. “If not now, that day will come. We knew this since that day we got promoted on Richter 4. Everything will come to an end, this is the way things go.”

Sobody sitting in his accustomed chair made a resigning gesture. “If they don’t send us out on another mission, they make a mistake. I am a Golden for 12,000 years and have a palace with every comfort and luxury imaginable, yet I am home right here.”


Angela rushed to the cave exit after she had used the Nexus Point. She had emerged onto a narrow plateau that led to a winding path down a steep mountain to a flat valley that stretched to the horizon. The flat was rimmed by walled enclaves and a deep circle of tents and booths.

The light of the local sun was so bright and was reflected off the almost white ground, hurting her eyes. She was certain staring at it could make a being blind. Along with the light of the sun came an almost unbearable dry heat.

She had nothing on her, but what she was wearing and the sword. The rest of her meager belongings had either spread across the rugged rocks where she had dropped her bundle or had remained behind in the room she had occupied.

Behind her she heard that angry voice, she was certain she had heard coming out the window of her chambers. “There she is! You insolent bitch! How dare you fleeing from my master! We dealt with that Yellow traitor. Now you will return to my Lord and tell us everything or in Crea’s name I will cause you so much pain...”

Blinded by the light, she stumbled over a rock on the narrow path and almost fell.

A new voice from the other end of the path said in a deep strong tone. “Is this cowardly bird creature threatening you, Miss?”

She looked up. There was a human man dressed in black, his calf-high boots were dust-covered.

He had very short hair, a scar running from his right eye to his mouth. His eyes behind black lenses held there by a frame. He was accompanied by a completely shrouded human-shaped being. Behind them was a tall very beautiful woman wearing a reddish hooded cloak against dust and heat.

She had lost all hope. “Flee, stranger. They hunt me and kill everyone helping me.”

“Girl, I have never fled from anything and despise bullies.”

The cloaked woman said. “Uritel, you better turn and run. My husband is irritated already.”

The cloaked being sounded amused. “It is never wise to make a Terran angry, Knight of Light especially this one!”

The tall human offered Angela his hand. “Seems my associates know that bully by name. I am Richard Stahl and I be damned if I let some goon threaten a female in my presence.”

She took the offered hand, and if by magic impossible to explain, her fear and hopelessness subsided. There was an aura of strength and confidence that never accepted compromise. She came to her feet.

Uritel raised his sword. “What fool interferes with the business of a God? We are tired of these insects trying to deny what is his. You will serve as an example to these other two with you.”

Uritel expelled a powerful blast to obliterate the mortal that dared to speak to him. The blast faded into nothingness long before it reached the man. Completely surprised by that, he fired off another even stronger blast and yet the same occurred.

The black shrouded being said. “This man stands not alone, the Narth Supreme declares unwavering allegiance.”

Stahl growled. “You are not God, I believe in one only. The Eternal Warrior drew his weapon, a genuine TKU-12 QP. dialed to the highest setting with a much-practiced move of his thumb and fired.

Not even the fabulous armor of Uritel created by Crea herself was able to deflect this brutal onslaught of temperatures that exceeded the hottest star in the universe by magnitudes. It vaporized the chest plate and burned a hole right through him, a second blast burned Uritel’s head clean of the Knight of Light’s shoulders. His shield of otherworldly origin, collapsing just before the Thermo kinetic blast hit.


Lord Lumis still at Avondur had summoned three of his knights, the lying Yellow robe would not reveal where he had sent the woman, despite the torture Lumis inflicted on Guhn.

However, he knew enough about these Nexus points, to have it reveal the last three destinations.

Lumis had to admit to the shrewdness of the now-dead Yellow Robe. Guhn was able to use the Nexus point three times before Lumis and Uritel were able to locate him. Two of his knights had returned and confirmed that the Yellow Robe simply threw rocks through the trans-dimensional portals, therefore the woman had to be where Uritel went, but just as he wanted to follow he suddenly knew his powerful ally had been killed, he sensed the presence of something incredibly powerful and old.

Just as he wanted to advance he was stopped, he heard Crea’s voice. “My servant, you must not fall, remain on Avondur!”

“Crea, the WEAPON! The woman, she knows where it is!”

“The WEAPON will come to Avondur.”

He obeyed, but his face underneath his helmet was flushed with anger. “Someone killed Uritel. A paladin of the Light succumbed and must be avenged.”

“You must do nothing but obey, and face the Dark One before the last token is reunited with him. I made a grave mistake, selecting you as my champion, but I can no longer correct it. Therefore strike for me and succeed, I make you equal to me if you are victorious.”

He clenched his mailed fist. “A mistake?”

She did not respond to his question but said. “On Avondur, the decision will be made. You must prevent that decision.”


Admiral McElligott sat in his office aboard the USS ZENO, the room was secured to the highest security protocol, he again was in contact with Deepa Lyda, the Commandant of NAVINT.

Due to the highly encrypted nature, communication was audio-only. It reminded the old admiral of time before the ascent, when people of Earth used devices called telephones.

He had just stuffed a pipe and said to the woman on the other end of the connection. “The Tigershark is technically still a NAVINT unit and all her crew is detached to NAVINT, specifically the X Fleet, but I am planning to end that arrangement. The project FISH has exceeded all expectations. The crew and its captain deserve promotions and with it come new assignments”

“They do deserve promotions and vacations, but why end something that is working so well?”

“I think that Dai is ready for his own command and there is another project I have in development that could benefit from having a few members of that crew.”

He leaned back. “Besides, I think it will be a good thing if that floating mystery magnet is broken up. Did you read the latest report?”

“I have. They solved the Ypeherix problem, eliminated a threat as potent as the Narth and towed in a huge piece of a genuine Earlies ship. As I understand there are at least three space faring societies who want to know more about the Union, meaning more or less they want to join.”

“Yes, and she once again freed a slew of slaves.” He wiped a few tobacco crumbs of the otherwise clean desk. “I have not completely made up my mind what I am going to do with them, but I will send them on vacation for a few months.”

“Should this not also be discussed with Cherubim and the Eternal Warrior? It was him who more or less found the core of that crew.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.