Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 8: Angela

Circuit checked his readouts.”The towing connectors are holding, but we are crawling despite our engines almost running past Red Line, Captain,”

I acknowledged as I watched Roghor come onto the bridge.”Everyone with med-training is assisting Cateria and her team. We triaged the liberated slaves, but there are a lot of them.”

“They are contained though, right?” I asked.”I am sure not all of them are friendly toward us.”

“Yes, Captain. They are all on deck eight and every access point is guarded by marines and security. Having Y’All and Petharians doing security is a very powerful deterrent. We scanned and removed anything that could be used as a weapon. Not that there was much in that regard. They were kept as slaves after all.”

Shea was right behind Roghor and sat down behind her science console.”Most of them are confused though, they consider us to be pirates after all and they are wondering what is going to happen to them. We didn’t explain much, just herded them in more or less.”

Har-Hi kept his attention on the system read-outs.”If Y’All and Pertharians do the herding, there aren’t many brave enough asking questions.”

Krabbel asked. Now that we are connected to that big chunk, where are we going, captain?

“That is a good question, Mr. Krabbel. We are more or less equidistant to Planet Place and the Camogi system. Mr. Krabbel lay in course to the Camogi.”

While Krabbel set the course and Shaka got us going, the Dai asked.”Planet Place? There is nothing in the catalogs, but I found it in the MilRef, meaning that is a secret place. Not that I am surprised you know such places, but I am curious why we have a secret planet so deep in otherwise unexplored space.”

“The planet is occupied by Land whales that originated on Earth. There is one of these trans-spatial connections between this planet and Wichita, a planet in the Kansas system. I think NAVINT has a base on this site.”

I touched my chin, as I too watched the snail-paced acceleration data displayed on the main screen.”But I don’t think they have the resources to deal with 1500 liberated Non-Union beings and a huge chunk of ancient alien hardware filled with roving Ypeherix look-alikes.”

Hans looked troubled.”Captain, I don’t think there are all that many left.”

I gave the Saturnian a knowing stare.”So I heard, Mr. Neugruber.”

Mao didn’t help.”Captain, I think our real legacy will be legions of traumatized deep space warrior monster species.”

I got up and said.”I better let the liberated guys know, otherwise, they might get traumatized too.”

--””--

The city of Sandakarr on Avondur had rarely seen such an arrival. It appeared to be an endless stream of very modern looking transport vehicles and fliers that kept rolling into the city. The first tracked vehicle sported a cannon of unknown type and was like the other vehicles engulfed in a shimmering energy bubble.

The representative of the Seven Circles walked through the Billowing yellow dust and approached the first vehicle.

Suddenly appearing newcomers wasn’t an uncommon occurrence on the planet at the center of the Universe with thousands of rifts and portals. Some old as time, some are only temporary and some new but permanent. No one, not even the Council of the Seven or the mystical Sentinel of the Rifts knew the reason. Some speculated that the Veil of the Universe, the so-called Fabric of Space was torn and had many holes right about here,

The Representative of the Seven Circles was old, had more or less humanoid shape and features. Meaning two arms, two legs, a head and the overall shape and size of a tall and bulky human. He had a yellowish skin of a wax-like character and wore mantle and belt of the Seven Circles.

Fetherars, had been in this position for nearly forty Solar Revolutions, his father and grandfather held this hereditary position just like their many ancestors and forefathers, perhaps as long as there was a Circle of Seven.

He had not seen the logo anywhere before that adorned every vehicle of this long convoy, but there were few on Avondur, planet who did not know what it stood for. It was the winged and fanged skull of the Dark Ones. the hordes and fighters of that legendary First Empire.

To see it so openly displayed on so many modern and heavy-armed vehicles filled him with concern.

A four-armed being in a very sleek and modern battle suit emerged from the lead vehicle.

“You, being. Your approach indicates the possibility you hold some sort of official position around here.”

Fetherars stayed calm.”Indeed, I am Fetherars, the appointed representative of the Circle of Seven. The world is Avondur, the city behind me is Sandakaar. You are welcome here as anyone, but you must abide by the Rule of the Seven Circles.”

“I am aware of the conditions that govern this planet, don’t bore me with details I already know. We abide by these rules for now, but our master intends to rectify that of course. Now we are here to create adequate conditions for his arrival and we will not be deterred to do exactly that.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You or whatever local authority can designate real estate, sell real estate or suggest a place for us to set up camp. We are willing to pay for adequate facilities, however, we are also prepared to take what we need.”

“The Stratella Caravanserai can be purchased, I will send a contact of this family to you, but make no mistake arrogant warrior. I am an Avondur and represent the Seven Circles, I am not without power and willing to wield it.”

“Yes, yes and I am sure you believe that. Now make haste. If our master arrives and conditions are not to his liking, not even Sata the master of the Red Knights will be able to stop him.”

“Your master is the Dark One?

“Eventually, we are the new Seed that follows Invictus Rex, and the resurrection of the First Empire.”

--””--

Lumis and Urtiel had traveled almost five thousand miles due East from Sandakaar and the Stronghold of the Red Knights.

Past the Plane of Portals, following the old road.

Lumis had been on this road before, along with Ciferus, passing into the Yellow Desert to travel to the Gateway Oasis.

When he followed Ciferus, he was full of pride and confidence in his powers and abilities. Back then he would not admit it, but he had learned. He knew that Avondur, planet was not like any other place. That his tremendous power was severely limited here. That even Crea was bound by these conditions.

He knew there were beings and creatures from many realms and other-worlds haunting the mountains, deserts, and forests of this world. He knew about Balkurs with a similar agenda as his. He knew the Red Knights, led by Crimsor acted as if they had given up, but he did not trust Crimsor or his master, Sata. A dark lord that existed before all the others. Sata who assisted Crea to defeat the Dark One while the First Universe existed and the Rule was intact.

Crea never educated him, about the details of that event and the defeat of the Dark One, but Ciferus, Crimsor and the crazy, but far from stupid Necro King had provided him with pieces of information that begun to fit together.

This new understanding was not in line with his fanatical devotion to Crea. There was a part in him that questioned Crea’s motives and reasoning selecting him, giving him all this power and virtually no education.

It all changed when he faced, his ultimate enemy for the first time and the gravity of it all was driven home when he felt that jolt of cosmic power. They all felt it, every entity and self-styled deity.

He no longer questioned the wisdom and advice to remain on the road. He was not afraid of what might lurk beyond that smooth pavement, but he no longer took it lightly.

They had left the Yellow desert behind, crossed the Askr tundra and now reached the foreboding Askruan mountains. More massive and higher than the other mountain ranges of Avondur.

Urtiel was behind the controls of the Hover-Flier, they had purchased in Sandakaar. It was a sizeable flyer with a comfortable passenger compartment.

It was well known on Avondur, to stay within close vicinity of the road to avoid most of the surprises that purposely or by accident slipped through one of the many rifts and portals.

Urtiel pointed ahead.”The road follows the Kriskth pass. The Halls of the Yellow robes are supposedly near the peak of Mount Kriskth and the Land of the Yellow robe begins there and stretches all the way to the Big Avon, a sizeable river.”

“What is the deal with that Circle of Seven, do you know?” Lumis asked.

“Only what the legend knows.”

“Tell me the legend then. Judging by the age and the strange conditions it might just the same as genuine history.”

“It is said that this, the Prime Universe came to be right here. Avondur planet and its sun should not be here by any conventional wisdom. The sun long burned out and this world a cold lifeless chunk in deep space, but Avondur, planet. Its moons and the sun are here since times began.

Some legends say, that there is a connection to the Plane of Eternity. A connection to the Voice of the Rule and in extension to The One Behind it all.”

Lumis had been to the Plane of Eternity, but he was taken there by Crea. He had heard the Voice of the Rule. “Anything connected to the Plane of Eternity must be special, and perhaps explains why this world is so old. But what about these Seven Circles.”

Urtiel resumed as he steered the Hover Flier over the now inclining road surface.”When this Universe came to be, it was declared to be the Prime Universe. The core reality with all concepts and conditions in place. It was the Universe of the Decision and the restoration of the Rule. Now the legend claims that the Voice of the Rule selected or invited Seven beings to this planet. The legends vary widely as to what purpose, but the Circles developed from that.”

Urtiel used the fingers of his left hand to count.”There is the Red Circle or the Red Knights of Avondur, they are aligned with the Evil Netherlord Sata. The Orange Paladins reside on an Island in the Avondur West Sea. If my research is correct, they are concerned with the restoration of the Rule and claim to be aligned with the Voice of the Rule itself.

There is an Order of Black Hoods, with a subsurface stronghold. It is said that the members of that Circle come to the surface during the night.

Their leader is an Old God of a different realm. They say her name is Apep. I do not know if they are aligned with the Necro Cult.”

Lumis motioned the other Knight of Light to go on.”Tell me about the rest and of course the Yellow ones.

“Then I will continue with the White Shrouds. Like us, they worship light and celebrate life, but they do not accept us and claim to follow the teachings of PEAC and the Spirit of the Universe. Their abode is a palace somewhere at the south shore of this continent. Basically a bunch of weaklings and only in the Circle of Seven by tradition not by any other reason.” Urtiel snorted with a disgusting sound.”Weaklings they are. Now the Grey Mystics are the most secretive group. They have a fortress or a similar structure far up north. Greys rarely mingle with others and only one or two are seen during the annual conference. No one knows who they follow or who their current leader is, but it is said they are very powerful.”

Urtiel operated the simple controls making sure their Hover-Flyer stayed in the confines of the meandering road. While they could fly much higher and cut straight up, he too heeded the warnings. Urtiel continued his explanation.”The Blue Hats are basically academics if you will. They follow a Sateer named Corflic. He is known all over as the Fifth.”Urtiel made a dismissive gesture.”Corflic raised himself to a godlike position for the Olmec. It was they who created all the Ancient Gates that center on this system.”

“A Sateer? I met the Highfather. It is where Miracel is trapped.”

“I know little about them. I know five of them have tried to free the rest using various schemes to attract the essence of the Dark One. I do know Corflic is dead he was slain by our brother Gariel.”

“And Gariel fell to that damned Demon Luc.”

Urtiel nodded. “Indeed. Anyway getting back to what I was saying. The Blue Hats are followers of Corflic. They allow anyone. that passes their tests to become a Blue Hat. They are by far the biggest group and have strongholds all over Avondur.”

Lumis counted himself. “That leaves the Yellow Robes, the seventh group and the ones we are going to meet.”

“Yes, my liege. The Yellow Robes are mystics as well, not as secretive as the Grey Mystics but said to be the most powerful of the Seven. They occupy the entire region behind this mountain range. The beings there, worship them as gods. I don’t know who they follow, but their lead is a being known as the Yellow Wizard. He is supposedly an entity of tremendous power as it was the Yellow Robes who built these roads.”

“How come these roads are safe while the regions beyond are not?”

“How it was done I don’t know, but no matter what or who. It must adhere to the laws of physics of this, the Prime Universe. These roads are not safe, but much safer. This is why this flyer is armed with primitive missiles, I and even you can get hurt and killed by such simple weapons.”

A thought flashed through Lumis mind.”If such conditions can be created, then the Dark One can be killed.”

--””--

The three wise men of the Assembly and the Immortal detective stood in the elaborate and elegant living room of Alegar’s residence.

The lens-shaped room had no hard angles and one side was wide open and gave a spectacular view over the white sand beach and the Silver Sea, one of the three oceans of Sares I.

While the residence was clearly Saresii, many elements were not. The large barbecue grill on the snow-white Durocrete of the open platform behind Alegar’s home that blended into a grass and flower-covered hill. There was Nilfeheim artwork, and a Friesenheim Tri-Shot mounted to a wall. The large refreshment bar featured bottles from many societies. Very few bottles of content could be described as innocent.”

The furniture was not Vari Form, but soft shapes of white leather-covered seat group elements. Glass.

Egill and the Narth had been here quite often and both of them felt quite at home. Egill and the Narth even had large apartment-style rooms.

Phil said.”This concludes my involvement, Gentlemen. I am above all still a policeman. The trail leads beyond Union Space and thus beyond my jurisdiction.”

Egill crossed his arms. “What are we going to do? As far as Jurisdiction goes, ours ended after we left the Assembly Dome, and Assembly reps have no business beyond Union shores either.”

“We have a responsibility as Assembly Reps and should return to Pluribus.” Alegar agreed.

The Narth seemed confused.”But the Nilfeheim alcove is occupied. Have you not instructed Sif to represent? The Saresii alcove has many Representatives. While our next choice for Narth Representation is still on Narth Prime learning, a Narth has been dispatched to represent.”

Alegar raised his shapely eyebrows.”So we are technically obsolete.”

“One would assign similar words if asked to simplify and restate.”

Egill grinned.”So three old men starting a quest far beyond Union Space, chasing a thief and whatever else to Odin knows where?”

“If Odin knows why are you not ask him for directions?” the Narth wanted to know.

“It is a matter of speech, my hooded friend.”

Alegar gave Egill a theatrical acted look. “We were rescued by something or someone with a distinct Nilfeheim sense of style. Not that I complain, but you did not arrive at that horror clinic decked out like that.”

The Narth seemed deeply pleased. “A quest into regions a Narth had never seen, all that is Narth is excited.”

Egill rubbed his chin.”We better buy us a spaceship and a Mobile refinery. We also need engineers. My yacht is neither armed nor has it a terrible range. Friends, that is beyond us. We are not Spacers.”

Phil said.”The Jolly Blue is armed, fast and does not rely on fuel, we can make it to N’Ger but I doubt we can make the trip to that Avondur galaxy. It is simply too far.”

“Did you not just say, Union Police jurisdiction ends at our borders?”

“I will be a private person without official duties and tasks, but no laws prevent me to pursue this case as a private man, I want to see this case to its end, but as I said Avondur Galaxy is beyond our reach.”

Egill retrieved a big plate of raw steaks from a robot.”Then let us travel to N’Ger find and arrest that Saresii scholar and squeeze him for the information that eludes us. Before we do, how about joining us for dinner, Mr.Decker. These are genuine steaks from Terra, grass-fed Angus.”

“Sares I was the home of my beloved wife and I maintain our residence for over 3000 years, but I am an Earther, not even a fancy Terran. Born and raised in New York City and the promise of a good old fashioned barbecued steak is a blessing to my old soul like few others.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.