Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 6: Monster of Mustar

Lord Lumis regained some of his old composure, the remaining knights affirmed their allegiance. He had just traveled back to Avondur and was greeted by Uritel at the gates of Sandakaar the old city.

Uritel had not been recruited by him but joined the Knights of Light. Crea herself hinted that Uritel was perhaps as powerful as Lumis and was an entity that came to the Prime Universe from an Upper realm.

The creature certainly looked very impressive in his segmented armor of a metal that looked like polished silver. Uritel sported predatory bird-like wings and walked on non-human legs. The head and face of this old champion of light and order hidden beneath a wing adorned helmet with a stylized raptor beak further enhancing the bird of prey appearance.

Uritel summoned him saying he had information about the WEAPON.

An artifact, Crea assured him was able to defeat the Dark One.

Uritel greeted him with a nod and said.”Will you abide by the rules and conditions of this place and respect the Circle of the Seven?”

With his composure regained, Lumis also returned to his haughty ways.”I am Lord Lumis, I only abide by the will of Crea, the Spirit of Creation and all that is must respect me.”

“This place is at the very center of it all. It was here the singularity grew into the beginning of the Prime Universe. This world and its sun are as old as this Universe and there are many rifts and gateways. The contracts and agreements governing this world were accepted by Crea.

I am a defender of order and will denounce my association.”

“Crea is my guide, and I will abide. Now, what news of the WEAPON?”

Before Uritel could answer, Lumis and everyone able to sense such things were suddenly hit by a sensation of true cosmic power. It was so vast, so immense and intense it drove him to his knees. Uritel shook in fear.

For the first time in his existence, Lumis became aware of his close connection to Crea. He was able to feel her. She was still far above him and yet he felt Crea’s fear and despair. Never before had she known such primal emotions. Crea for all her long existence knew the day of her punishment was close at hand.

Every creature, every denizen of the Netherworlds, servants and Demonlords alike heard a soundless voice. “I am the Judge!”

No one ever mentioned the ruler of the lowest realm, the place where ultimate punishment was served. A cosmic secret revealed the Dark One and the Judge had always been one and the same.

Lumis cried.”Even Crea is afraid!”

Uritel tried to find his composure.”Then let us find that WEAPON. Refuse the Dark One ultimate resurrection. The Red Knights guard a vault in their stronghold that holds the key to this WEAPON.”


I had to admit, I was not entirely sure what to do and in such cases, I decided to go by the book. A primitive society that had not discovered Translight technology was to be avoided if possible. However, if such contact was made accidentally and was unavoidable, Union law was quite clear. Every step had to be taken to assure the culture shock of the primitive society was kept at a minimum and every effort aimed to educate the primitives about the peaceful nature of the Union and its representatives.

That the local natives were a primitive society was obvious. They were armed with spears, dressed in crude tanned leather and coarse woven fabrics.

I counted at least two-hundred of these beings that reminded me of upright walking turtles, complete with an oval shell. The natives, spears and most of their things were decorated with colorful beads and feathers. The natives were about one hundred seventy centimeters tall on average.

The other beings with crude neck rings, arms tied to their backs, wearing nothing in terms of clothing were undoubtedly slaves, sacrificial presents perhaps. There were at least five hundred of them. Not just Turtle beings but members of other species. No humans, but I recognized several Pim Pams, two Roxomani and a bunch of beings of somewhat human proportions.

The Turtle beings also brought along many dozen beats of burden. Also, turtle-like but walking on four legs and carrying ride harnesses or dragging sled-like contraptions.

Mao told me that the fleet of twenty-seven unknowns was of vastly different sizes, energy signatures, and Tech Levels.

They were on a direct approach and all indications showed they were about to land, right on the same continent we had landed.

Har-Hi standing next to me and looking like me at the images of our main viewer.

I sighed. “Do you make any sense of this?”

He said.”If I had to guess, this is a re-occurring event. The natives don’t act as if they were alarmed or surprised to see us.”

“I just wish we could rely on our Janus device. I think I see some Roxomani among those prisoners and they just might know about the Union.”

Warner, who was sticking halfway inside a console via an open access panel crawled back and closed the panel.”Captain, our Janus Device is back online for quite a while now, and we are displaying the Silver Streak mask.”

“That’s good news. Maybe I should have gone down to engineering instead of following Meeze.”

Circuit appeared from the left IST access and said.”Well, we are back in business. Dime Tap, Shields, Sensors and Janus Device all fixed.”

The natives outside begun setting up camp, while the first unknowns landed.

No one paid much attention to us. One of the ships was a 600-meter Roxomani unit. Mao was busy identifying the ships as they came down, landing in a loose circle right around the camp of the natives.

Shea, Hans, TheOther and half of my security team and the Marine contingent were still out with the Apparition. that is why Ak Fective was behind the security console and Narth acting as Science Officer. SHIP herself used her Ego remote to physically be present and act as the OPS officer. That this was a most unusual arrangement concerned me not the least, this was the USS Tigershark after all, and we did thing differently.

Ak Fective receiving the same scanner data as Mao said.”There are two known pirates, Captain. The Violent Viper, a Karthanian just as we pretend to be but a more recent model.” He swiped through his readouts.”According to our last security file update, we received while at Deep Blue, the Violent Viper is commanded by a shipmaster calling himself Hot Bolter. Not much on him in the database, other than the fact he now holds the third most wanted spot. He advanced quickly.”

Har-Hi said.”Nature abhors a vacuum and so does everything else. We cut off the heads of quite a few pirates and then stopped doing so. Following the Red Dragon and pursuing another clear into another galaxy left a big empty gap right here. It was only a matter of time others stepped up to fill that spot.”

“I can see that, Mr. Hi but we are about as far as can be from Freespace. Finding a Freespace pirate here?”

“We are not as far as can be from Freespace.” Narth corrected me.”

“Narth!” I exclaimed.”You are long enough among humans to know what I meant.”

“That, Captain is also incorrect. There is a significant number of Non-Humanoids aboard this vessel and it is in this company I spend the greatest part of my time since I left the Narth collective. Thus I did not spend enough time among humans to assimilate enough to comprehend all those eccentric ways humans chose to express themselves.” He turned his hooded head towards me, and for the first time, I realized seeing his eyes and not just the yellow shine I used to see. He said with a sarcastic tone.”And the term human does not fit you anymore, Captain.”

I frowned.”Let’s get back to the business at hand. We could simply leave. This is indeed a re-occurring event and has nothing to do with us.”

Mehedi who had taken a seat behind one of the multi-task consoles on the back bridge, the part behind me and the Nav Tank.

“I concur, Captain. The natives use these large reptilian turtle creatures to cross the oceans so it appears and they may have no need for nautical or navigational instruments. Perhaps utilizing similar natural senses as migratory birds and other species of Earth for example.

The event is clearly planned and everyone, natives and visitors are prepared for it.”

Har-Hi gave me another one of his trademark looks. “We could leave, collect Shea and the rest and continue to find that Unpronounceable, but I see six humans among those slaves and I bet my new cutting hardware against Circuits Real Terran Replica Sword that we won’t leave until they are free.”

More ships landed, and to our surprise, we were hailed by a Trontigmakader ship. I signaled Elfi to put it on audio only, The buzzing humming singing voice of a Trontigmakader had a clear accusing quality.”We know this ship and we think we are seeing the Silver Streak under Black Velvet. Remember Cosporus and Mustar?”

I responded while Tyron flowed around me and simulated my old Black Velvet outfit. somewhere inside my female vanity felt pleased and I had to admit I had greatly missed it. “Still in audio mode only I said. “Cosporus? Was that the planet where they insisted I leave as fast as possible?”

“You are the monster of Mustar!”

Narth responded silently in my mind.”There is a bounty on you, the highest ever issued by their Chief Decider. They want to earn it, but don’t have a plan yet.”

I gave Elfi a sign and she cut the transmission.

Har-Hi was right, six humans came out of a crude-looking cage that sat on one of the these dragged sleds, two of them had Blue skin.”

A voice from the back of the bridge said.”If weeze noz needz zem, canz Meeze eaz one?”

“Mr.Meeze, we don’t eat people.”

“You donz? Meeze doez. Wiz ze Strawberriez!”

I turned and said to Circuit.”Can we not rig him some sort of Voice Box? One that goes two ways. Have you cleaned the officer’s lounge?”

“Yeez, alz iz gonz. Whaz a shamez.”

Circuit rubbed his smooth chin.”We should be able to make one.”

My engineer waved at the worm.”Come then, Meeze let’s see if we can’t get you talking like everyone else.”

“Pffz, Meeze doez zis andz noz eatz the peoplez, stoopiz” He grunted but followed Circuit anyway.

Har-Hi said.”We still need to decide what we do about the situation out there.”

“I think I have an idea.”


Egill could not hide the awe he felt, as the approached the elegant looking ancient building of considerable size and perched on a steep mountain piercing out of a dense and deep green forest. It suddenly reminded him at his old Pillar Burg back on Nilfeheim.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.