Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 1: Limping Away

The tall man in the all-black uniform and the mirror-polished boots stepping into McElligott’s office was the most celebrated hero in all of Union history.

McElligott knew some considered him a myth, some even considered him a god, but the vast majority of Union Citizens loved this man. His reputation had long transcended into the very fabric of Union culture and society and his name was known far beyond the boundaries of the Union.

True entities of tremendous power, like Mothermachine, the Klack Queen, even the mysterious Narth Supreme spoke of him with the greatest affection and respect.

The Old Highlander knew that this man did none of what he did for glory or acknowledgment. He simply did it because it had to be done.

They called him the Eternal Warrior, and Admiral McElligott who was around for just as long, secretly admitted there was no better title describing this man.

After a little over three thousand years, they developed something that was beyond friendship. Obrock McElligott, the Admiral of the Fleet never considered the man a close friend, there was always that nagging feeling of envy. A petty and stupid emotion, he knew had no place between two men that were considered immortals. Yet deep down McElligott was human and could never truly suppress his feelings. That this textbook definition of a Teutonic hero didn’t have the most favorable opinion of McElligott was something he believed to be true, even though Stahl never said anything in that regard.

But they had a working relationship, perhaps like none other in the universe.

When it came to war and fighting battles, even the enemies of the Union agreed there was no one more experienced and capable of that old warrior.

McElligott got up from behind his desk, the windows behind him provided a fantastic bird’s eye view over San Francisco Bay. Despite the available technology, there was no weather or climate control on Earth and while the new calendar called this date Two-Day, Red Week, Fifth Divider 5028. According to Old Terran Time, it was the tenth of September. It was a particularly beautiful California coast day with a crisp blue sky and brisk winds churning the waters below the still elegant and beautiful bridge to white-crested waves.

The old warrior walked past him and gazed past the transparent Duro plast. McElligott joined Stahl and there was a moment of silence. Then Stahl sighed. “I have traveled this universe of ours from one end to the other; stepped on the surfaces of many thousand planets, but I still don’t think there is a more beautiful world than our good old Earth.”

McElligott had to agree. “Even after all this time, I can never really get enough of this view.”

“I think I take a few days of vacation and visit Europe. The October Fest will soon open.”

“So you decided not to travel to the Leo galaxy after all?”

“No, I think Admiral Rasmussen is doing a great job. He is commanding two battle clusters and I think that is more than enough to check if there is anything left of the Crucible.”

“Yes, you told me about this Steve Rasmussen. Was he not one of those you put through your Big Test?”

“A variation of it, I put him in charge of a battle group, while he was just a Lieutenant.”

“And how about the Or-Ghe? Do we know why they decided to declare war on us?”

Stahl moved away from the window and took a seat in the visitors’ chair across McElligott’s desk. “Officially, they object to the Kakth talking to us. They deposed their king, literally by throwing him out the window of his palace, throne and all and want to join, but we have intel that it was a very well planned and well-disguised agitation of the Kermac. I am sure they are livid about the fact that we found Koken.”

“I always wonder what happened that made them abandon their world of origin.”

“There are suggestions that the Ker fell for an elaborate trick. This seems to be substantiated by reports and documents that were found in the Archives of the Golden.”

“We should send the Tigershark, they uncover the secret in no time. So how we are doing Or-Ghe wise?”

“Harris turned two planets of theirs to slag and depopulated two more dropping Marines and robots. A delegation of Or-Ghe is on its way to Pluribus ready to sign an unconditional surrender if I understood Harris correctly.”

“And I bet a bottle of my special reserve that you were among the grunts dropping on the Or-Ghe.”

“Your liquor is safe.”

“Well not really, care for a spot?”

“I would not mind”. Stahl fished for one of his beloved cigarettes. He knew the Old Highlander didn’t mind and would most likely stuff a pipe in a moment or two. “Say Obrock whatever came about that explosion at the Assembly?”

“Or mutual friend Phil is on the case. He determined it was not a terror attack, but a well planned and executed theft.”

“I expected as much. Well, he is much better to find out who did steal that document. There aren’t too many entities that could have pulled that off.”

McElligott handed Stahl a tumbler with a deep golden liquid, the distinct scent of highland moss emanating from it.

Stahl inhaled deeply and then flicked his 3000-year-old Zippo, many hundred times refurbished and put the flame to his cigarette.

McElligott complained. “How can you even smell anything else with that gasoline fume thing?”

Stahl looked at the ancient lighter like he would look at an old friend. “I guess I got used to it. This thing was with me when we faced Chinese tanks, so long ago.”

McElligott sat down and sure enough begun his ritual to prepare a pipe. “I hear you, I have my suspicions too, but there is not a shred of evidence”. McElligott was, of course, responding to Stahl’s previous comment.

“It’s called the Good Company after all. If I ever get my hands on even the smallest shred of evidence...”

“He is at this as long as we are and he is a businessman. What use would he have for some old parchment? His only motivation seems to be profit.”

Stahl sipped from the old Single Malt. “No Obrock not profit but power. I am still mostly in the dark about things. Not that I understand most of what is explained to me, but my wife thinks that parchment is the key to unimaginable power.”

“So this ‘power’ you speak off is up for grabs to whoever has that parchment?”

“That is where I am not so sure. That Neo Viking we both know is, in my opinion, the real epicenter of all this metaphysics gobbledygook.”

“Well, it might be just a coincidence. She and her crew uncovered a Necro conspiracy penetrating the Thaauran society for a very long time. They also recovered a dozen Trans spatial threshhold bars. Technology we think is of Nnnth origin. The Narth Supreme sent a real Narth engineer examining those things.”

“I heard she was mixing up the Thaurans pretty good.”

“It was one of her latest crew additions, a thing called Meeze”. McElligott took the first puff and then reached for his glass. “You know there were more than 20,000 of these worms and a significant number of those Y’All calling themselves Yeehaa now, descending on Blue Harbor, scaring the living daylight out of them”.

“And now the Thaurans complain in the Assembly?”

“Not at all, the new Emperor and the recently elected cabinet is thanking the Wheeze and the Yeehaa for helping to cleanse old Thauran filth. The incident has not even developed into a docket issue. It’s all over GalNet Channel three though”.

Stahl turned the glass in his hands. “So where did you sent Erica and her boatload of unusual individuals?”

“I told her to stop sticking her nose in civil Union affairs and get that cursed Ypeherix problem solved. The last I heard she slipped past the GalNet horizon and is somewhere Spin or perhaps downward.”

--””--

Alegar marveled about the private one hundred meter space ship of Phil Decker as he and his two friends followed the old detective aboard. “If I didn’t know better, but this ship you call the Jolly Blue does not strike me as a Union product, but more like a Saresii one. Yet I have never seen any Saresii ship looking like that”.

The immortal detective closed the ramp and said. “Some of it is Union tech, like the GalNet com and the AutoChef”. He then had a strange distant smile on his face. “It is a gift from my wife. She was Seenian and this ship comes from a time when Saresii and Seenians ruled the galaxy”.

He led them to the small flight deck and gestured suggestively towards comfortable seats. “Let me get this ride in space and then we can talk some more”.

Phil Decker, born on Earth and in New York even before the second world war, went through the motions of taking a ship into deep space, with the confidence and routine of someone doing this for a long time.

Alegar looked at an old two dee picture of a rare dark-haired Saresii beauty. “So the legend is true, you really were engaged to Alegra Soneri?”

Decker linked the Jolly Blue into the automated departure traffic system. While Pluribus Spaceport seven was a small port at the edge of Government continent, almost exclusively used by privately-owned space ship, it was still part of Pluribus traffic. There were few planets and space systems with more traffic than Pluribus. Automated traffic assistance was the best way to avoid collisions, disturbing someone else’s acceleration run or being considered a potential unknown. After he had done that he too looked at the prominently displayed photo. “No, Mr. Moansti we were not just engaged, we were married Earth-style in a New York City church and I am still married to her. It may take an eternity, but I will see her again. I met and loved many women since, but none like her”.

Egill who had no idea what Alegar or Phil were talking about said. “Then you are an immortal? A pal of Stahl, Schwartz, and McElligott?”

Phil glanced at the instrument readouts and then shook his head. “Again that would be a no. I was part of a group that became immortal long before the rest. I did not know about the Guardian and met that artificial spook only briefly in 2100. Egill, I was born on April 4th, 1912. 189 years before this so-called Guardian revealed itself to Humankind. Long before the ascent of Earth.

I resided on Sares Prime for over a century when the Sarans landed on the White House lawn”.

Egill processed this with a hard swallow. “But how did you become immortal? Are you human?”

“My mother was the first female Police detective in Earth history. My father was a police officer in New York City as his father was. My father died in France during World War One. I am as Terran Human as Richard Stahl. You are immortal, Mr. Skallagrimmson. The guardian of Earth had nothing to do with it. A certain White Fish however has, is that not so?”

“I almost died if it weren’t for the great skills and knowledge of my Saresii friends”. Egill paused.”How do you know about that?”

“I am a detective remember? You applied for security classification when you decided to join the Assembly Security Council, part of that application is a detailed background check and an investigation into your Psionic abilities. The results of these checks are available to me”.

The Narth Rep sounded pleased. “The detective considered us potential suspects and investigated our background, how delightful.”

Alegar gasped. “Suspects, you considered us to have anything to do with that explosion and that theft?”

Egill sighed. “Of course, he did, he is the most logical thinking man I ever encountered. We barged in on him right when he showed up. He had to consider us as potential suspects”.

Phil nodded. “Indeed, your interest in the events and my investigation could very likely be fueled by self-interest and the desire to stay abreast of the investigation. All three of you have, at least theoretically access to the resources I mentioned to conduct this crime and fabricate the cover. The Eldest of the Saresii. A man who has unlimited access to the resources of Silver Hawk Inc. The Narth Representative with virtually unlimited resources and access to the Narth Supreme”.

Alegar leaned forward. “Are we still considered suspects?”

“No, I was pretty certain neither of you was, but I had to eliminate you based on evidence nevertheless.”

Phil pointed at the Narth. “The Narth have near unlimited resources indeed, but never displayed cunning deceptive behavior. Covering the theft with a manufactured terror attack is simply not within their MO. Besides if the Narth wanted that Parchment for whatever reason, the Coven would have never hesitated to give it to them”.

He then nodded towards Alegar. “You are the Eldest of the Saresii. Your kind is quite capable of deceit and subterfuge if it is deemed vital to Sares interests. Pulling off that theft as it occurred is well within the capabilities of the Gray Cat society. What eliminates you, is the very long history of Sares allegiance to the Union and the same reason that eliminates the Narth. If Sares wanted that Prophecy, the Coven would have no objection and gladly assist in translation and interpretation if necessary”.

He then turned to Egill. “While you do have unlimited access to Silver Hawk resources and most certainly the credits to fund such a caper. In terms of galactic history exposure, you are virtually a Virgin. Before you arrived on Nilfeheim, you had no knowledge of things beyond Nilfeheim. But if for whatever reason you knew about that prophecy, all you had to ask one of your friends, their friendship to you is well known.”

Egill digested that, while the Jolly Blue lined up before a Hyper Jump Gate. He then said. “So the source of your immortality is a secret?”

“No, not so much a secret than it is a mystery even to me. The Immortals chosen by the Guardian received specific tasks. Other so-called immortals know of their purpose. I don’t. I and a few others became immortals by the association to a being called Dark Cloud. Who or what he was, I never found out. I think he made us immortal simply because we were friends. Dark Cloud and Wulf Starr disappeared before the Ascent. The only other Immortal like me still around is Peter Baker, he patrols the fringe regions as a Union Ranger”.

The Narth asked. “We are pursuing that Saresii scholar to Sares because this was one of the destinations the Astrographical society revealed to him?”

Decker transferred the Hyper Jump-Gate fee and his ship approached the immense bluish glowing structure flowing in deep space, just a few light-hours from Pluribus.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.