Project: Eldest Son - Cover

Project: Eldest Son

Copyright© 2019 by Liz-n-Rick

Chapter 5

Giselle Chavalier- Hannah Sullivan
Ludmilla Baranski- Petra Allen

Giselle and Ludmilla stood by the starting point for the Spartan race they had entered 3 months ago. Both women were stretching and getting ready to start the race. They looked around at the rest of the runners to gauge the competition. This was a unique race in that it was held in West Virginia and almost all the obstacles were natural. They had sat down and looked at the course and seen all of the obstacles they would encounter. They had both set up to do more weight training and wearing weighted vests when they ran. All in all they were in good shape for the run. They weren’t interested in winning; this was the culmination of 3 months of preparation to snatch Svetlana Michaels without the Russians knowing she’d been captured. The work up to this was treacherous and a very difficult path. The team had flown in 2 weeks early to scout the race path for possible locations to grab their target.

“I can’t believe that there are this many people out here for this race.” Giselle said to Ludmilla.

“From what I read, this is a qualifier for the national races, so I’m guessing that’s the reason why.” She replied.

“What’s the competition looking like?” Denise asked them through their earwigs.

“Honestly, if we were really here to win... “Giselle started to say but changed her thought in mid sentence. “Heads up, target is driving in.”

Both the women watched as a red BMW X6 drove in and parked. Svetlana Michaels opened the car door and stepped out. She walked over to the sign in table and showed her ID to the organizers. Ludmilla moved over towards the table to try and listen in to what she was saying.

“ ... No, I don’t think I’m going to be doing nationals this year, work has been a bit hectic and we’re actually changing software towards the summer so I’ll be tied down with that.” She told the person in charge.

“That’s too bad Lana, there isn’t going to be a whole lot of competition for the nationals this year. A lot of the usual racers are either nursing injuries or taking a break this season.” He said to her.

“Well, let me see how April goes, I might be able to squeeze a few extra races in.” She said to him. Svetlana walked back over to her car to start stretching. When she was away from the table, Ludmilla walked back up and started talking to the same person.

“You were talking about national races?” She asked.

“Yes, this is a preliminary for the national races. I’ve got some information about them if you’re interested.” He told her.

“Thanks, we just might look at running a few more races. Just out of curiosity, who was that red head you were talking to?” She asked.

“Oh that? That was Lana Michaels. She’s been doing this race for a few years now. She usually uses this race to see how the field of competitors is going to be for the year.” He told her.

“Oh, so she’s a hardcore Spartan racer then?” Ludmilla asked.

“No, she tries to stay low key when she’s out here. She would rather use her status to bring other people into racing than use her status.” He told Ludmilla.

“What kind of status does she have? Is she some big Hollywood mogul or something?”

“No, her husband is the Undersecretary of the Interior.” He told her.

“Gotcha. Thanks for the information.” Ludmilla said to him as she walked back to Giselle. “Did you get all of that?” She asked Denise.

“Yes we did, she likes her husband’s title apparently...” She replied. “So seriously, what are your chances of winning?”

Giselle looked around for a moment. “My opinion is that there’s only a few women that could give us a real run for our money.” She replied.

Ludmilla was watching a couple of men near the starting line. “I’d be willing to wager big money we could beat those men as well.” She said pointing to men at the front.

“Holy shit ... They look like they’ve got pneumonia. Why are they even here?” Hannah asked.

Robert spoke up at that point. “I see the men you’re talking about. I’m starting a pool. $1000 and pick the time they beat them by. Closest without going over wins.”

Dominic who was sitting right next to him watching the same drone feed spoke up. “Gimme forty five seconds.”

“I’ll take 2 minutes.” Denise told them over the radio.

“Dom has 30 seconds, Denise has 2 minutes. Anyone else?” Robert said.

Talitha spoke up on the radio. “Give me 90 seconds.”

“What happens if one of us comes in ahead and the other comes in behind those two?” Ludmilla asked.

“We only pay $500 to the winner and we mercilessly ridicule whichever one of you comes in behind them.” They heard Steven say. “I’ll take one minute twenty and Laura said she wants a minute ten before she went to find a tree.”

“Hold on a second...” Denise said. “ ... Yes sir, I’ll relay that.” She said. “Hank Richards says satellite view of those men makes them look anorexic. He also just sent me an email with 7 names and times. Robert, check your phone and tell me if any of them picked duplicate times.”

“Holy big wigs Batman, have you seen whose names are on this list?” Robert asked.

“Yes, so what?” Denise replied.

“Just asking, that’s all.” He told her. The channel was clear for a minute or so until Robert came back. “Tell your boss that they’re all good. Whoever wins this ... The after mission drinks are on them.”

Giselle looked over at Ludmilla and asked, “What time do you want?”

“Give the both of us a minute and fifteen please Robert.” Ludmilla said.

“Wait, why do you get joint times?” Talitha asked.

“We made an agreement that we cross the finish line as a team, hence why we get joint times.” Ludmilla said.

Robert spoke up. “I’m inclined to let it stand because they’re actually doing the hard work.” He paused for a moment and then spoke again. “I myself and taking two minutes, twenty ladies. Denise, please relay to the honchos that all times are recorded and the betting window is now closed.”

Both looked up as they heard the race director talking. The women took their earwigs out and slid them into a Velcro pocket sewn into their compression leggings. They watched as Svetlana made her way to the starting line. She moved into the center of the pack, but in front of Ludmilla and Giselle. When the race director was finished with his briefing, he turned it over to the timekeeper to start the race. Ludmilla and Giselle knuckle bumped as they listened to the countdown to the start of the race.

Three months prior

Denise and Talitha had been called to London for a planning session regarding Gregory and Svetlana Michaels. Andrew Younger, MI6’s director, the CIA director, Gina Haspel, Denise’s boss Hank Richards, Chiam Fogelman from Mossad, and Russell Travers, director for the National Counter Terrorism Center, were sitting in the conference room.

Mikhail Chugunov had given the group more information regarding Svetlana and her operations and where the money was going. They watched as he told them about the secret accounts in Qatar.

“Director Naryshkin gave me access to accounts in Yemen when we started operating in London. At first it was discretionary funds for me to use for bribes and to pay for operational needs. But when he started working with the Iranians, they increased funding for Svetlana’s use. They eventually had to create a separate account for them to move the extra money into since she was bringing in so much from her scam.” Chugunov told the interviewer.

“When did they create the separate account?” He was asked.

“Around 201 is what I recall.” He answered.

“Did you know if the money had been laundered?

“I had no way of knowing that. We operated independent of each other.” He replied.

“Can you tell me how much she was depositing?” The interviewer asked him.

“The first few months, not a whole lot was being deposited. Maybe fifty thousand each month was the most I remember seeing. After the second year, I saw deposits starting at one hundred fifty thousand and going as high as five hundred thousand dollars, sometimes even more.” He told them.

“Is that a monthly deposit?”

“No, that is weekly.” He replied.

Denise stopped the video. “We did the math, between $50 and $182 Million MINIMUM is what she’s brought in since 2012.”

Director Travers spoke up. “More than a few of the banks in Qatar and Yemen have been on our radar for years now. We’ve known money was going in, but not how much or where it was going. Most of the money disappeared into the Bank or Russia. maybe a quarter was moved elsewhere.”

Andrew Younger from MI6 spoke up at that fact. “I shudder to think of the actual total and how much of that went to terrorists.” He looked at Denise. “Do you have a plan for dealing with this?”

“We’re in the initial planning stages at the moment Director Younger. We’re waiting for the state department to make a decision on how to handle this.” Denise told him.

“Andy, I can promise you that Mike [Pompeo] has me on speed dial regarding this situation. It’s an embarrassment for us in intelligence that a Russian agent got that high up.” Director Haspel told him. “In the mean time, Denise, you and your team formulate two plans for extraction. Make one for when she’s abroad and another for stateside. I’ll leave the specifics to you. I’d like to see something as soon as possible.”

“Yes ma’am, we’ll start when we’re back in Poland and have a broad outline to Director Richards by the end of the week.” Denise told her.

Talitha was talking quietly with Denise while the directors talked about planning and long-term actions. When her and Denise were finished, she spoke up. “Directors, if I may interrupt for a moment.” She looked at Director Haspel. “Would it be possible to put someone on the undersecretary’s security detail so we can have their schedule in advance?”

“I’ll get with the Secret Service when I get back, but I’m almost positive I can make it happen.” Director Haspel told her making a note. “Do you have someone ready to go?”

“He can be on a plane in less than 24 hours.” Denise told her.

Director Fogelman spoke up at that point. “If I may pry, who is your choice?”

“Dominic.” Talitha told her boss. “He’s got the quiet professionalism look and mannerisms. Even as big as he is, he can blend in and stand out equally as well.”

“Good choice...” Andrew Younger said. “While we’re talking about undercover operations, we’ve got the new micro tracker that we’ll send back with you for all the operatives and agents. It is actually powered by the human body’s electrical impulses. It pings every 5 minutes to avoid detection. However if there’s a medical emergency and his heart rate drops below a certain level, it will emit a constant signal.”

“Thank you Director Younger.” Talitha told him. She looked back at Chiam Fogelman and started talking again. “Through her social media, we know that Svetlana is planning to visit Venice with her husband in three weeks for carnival. We would like use of the safe house there since it is centrally located to the center of Venice.”

“Absolutely ... I’ll get ahold of the caretaker there and have him double check the electrical and Internet connections before your arrival.” Chiam told her. “We’ll also have a pair of vehicles on stand by for you incase she does any travelling in the area.”

“Thank you Director.” Talitha told him.

“Is there anything else upcoming we need to know about Denise?” Hank Richards asked her.

“Just that Steven and Dominic need to be back in the states the third week of March to interview a student for a possible scholarship to Auburn.” Denise told him.

“He’s still on the scholarship committee?” He asked.

“No sir, but this was in the works way before Eldest Son kicked off, so I’m inclined to let them go.” She told him.

“Absolutely, I totally agree with you. Who is the candidate?” Hank asked her.

“She’s an honors student from Steven’s tribe. She told her counselor that she’d love to be an electrical engineer.” Denise told him.

“What are her grades like?” Gina Haspel asked her.

“She’s held a 3.95 GPA through all of high school.” Denise told her.

“Impressive. Has she said why she wants to be an electrical engineer?” She asked Denise.

“From what Steven told me, she wants to work with renewable energy to try and relieve the burden from nuclear and fossil fuels.” Denise told her.

“I have a friend that works at the department of Energy, maybe he can get her a summer internship with him if he has room? If she’s as smart as you say she is, it would be ashamed to waste her talent.” Hank asked.

“I’ll relay that to Dominic and Steven and they can ask her.” Denise told him.

They all talked amongst themselves for a few more minutes. Director Younger spoke up. “Ladies and Gentlemen, is there anything else we need to discuss? If not, I reserved Lyles for lunch.”

The meeting started to break up and they made their way to lunch. Hank Richards stood back with Denise and Talitha and spoke with them for a minute before joining his boss.

“I just need a moment of your time and then you can get back to doing whatever it is you’re doing.” He told them. “First off, Haspel is giving me Eldest Son to clear her plate somewhat, so there’s no more going to 20 different people to ask for support. If you need it, you come to me. Do your people need anything?”

Talitha pulled out her notebook and looked at it. “We need ammunition. The tier one guys are burning through 5-7000 rounds a week so it goes pretty quickly. Also, Steven has been playing with a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle. He’d like to make some upgrades to if possible.”

Hank was making a note on his phone. “I’ll talk to my Polish counterpart in the next few days. Maybe they’ll share in return for the tier one guys doing some training. As far as the rifle upgrades, tell him to put it in a diplomatic pouch along with a list of upgrades and we’ll have the Marine marksmanship team do them. Anything else?”

“Actually yes, Director Younger kind of sprung the trackers on us. Are you and the other honchos trying to put leashes on us?” Denise asked.

“No, we’re not. I don’t have time to explain it, but we’re going to be upping the offensive capability to a full platoon in Warsaw. I’ll brief you on the whole thing when I see you again.” Hank told her. Does that assuage any of your issues?”

“Yes, thanks.” She told him.

“Anything else then?” He asked them both.

“No, that’s got it.” Denise told him.

“Ok, secondly, I have a friend at State. He tells me that Pompeo is leaning more towards a domestic extraction so that we can control the variables involved. So dive into her hobbies and every day life as best you can and plan accordingly.” He said. “How is Ludmilla adjusting to working with the team?”

“She’s back using her birth name of Petra Allen when not on an assignment. She’s currently with Robert and Steven doing weapons training. She’s picked it up pretty quick and is working well as a member of the team. She told me to tell you thanks for the Chugunov bonus and the Audi RS5.”

“I’m glad I listened to you about her. She’ll be a real asset to us.” Hank told her.

They talked for another couple minutes about nothing really important before he made his way to his car and off to Lyles.

“Can we leave now? I have a headache and I need to call home.” Talitha asked her.

Denise pulled her phone out and called the flight crew. “Hey, it’s Denise ... Yes, we finished the meeting, any chance we can leave early? I’d like to sleep in my bed tonight ... Awesome. We’ll be to the airfield in a half hour.” Both of them walked towards the elevator that would take them to the parking deck where the rental car was parked.

Ludmilla Baranski had decided to go back to her given name of Petra Allen when she was not on assignment. She’d gotten used to using Ludmilla, but liked the idea of being able to compartmentalize between Ludmilla and Petra.

Petra had been with Robert and Steven for the better part of six weeks learning how to shoot. She’d had many long days and nights. Petra had been exhausted the first week from wearing body armor and a helmet. But her muscles adapted and eventually she barely noticed it any more. This was her final week training with the both of them. If she passed this course, she’d be able to go on any and all of the missions that came down.

She was standing by the firing line listening to the instructions Robert and Steven were giving her for the final course of fire for the day.

“Ready for this?” Steven asked her.

“Yeah, I’m a bit twitchy about this course though.” She told him.

“Don’t worry about it, that’s just adrenaline.” He said. “What’s the rule about speed?”

“Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.” She replied.

What about when something goes wrong?” He asked.

“Keep your head, don’t panic, and remember your training.” She recited to him.

“What do you do if you have a weapon malfunction?” he asked.

“Find cover, clear the malfunction, and get back on mission.” She told him.

“What’s Murphy’s first law of combat?” Robert asked her.

“No plan ever survives first contact.” She told him.

“What’s that mean?” He asked.

“It means shit will happen and that you have to be fluid.” She told him.

“I’d say she’s ready.” They heard Denise say as she walked up.

“As she’ll be for this course.” Robert told her. He looked over at Petra and winked. Robert walked over to the starting point for the course of fire and started speaking. “Shooter, gear up and approach the firing line when you’re ready.”

Petra walked over and picked up her body armor, slipped it over her head and fastened everything down. She checked her magazine pouches to make sure that they were all closed. She picked up the Sig p226 pistol, locked and loaded it, and slid it into the holster on her leg. When she went to reach for her M4, she noticed that the rest of the team was standing back and watching her. She smirked and said “Yeah, no pressure at all.” quietly to herself. Picking up her rifle she slung it over her head and positioned it like she was taught. She checked to make sure that the suppressor on the end was tightened down as she walked forward. Petra reached into her magazine pouch and grabbed a magazine for the rifle. She slapped it into the magazine well and hit the bolt release. The bolt slammed forward and she reached around and hit the forward assist with the palm of her hand to make sure that it was seated the whole way.

Walking up to the firing line, she looked back and saw the rest of the team watching her. Hannah yelled out, “Don’t worry girlfriend, you got this.” to her. She looked at Robert as she walked up. She stopped at the start line, focused her vision on the first two targets, and cleared her mind of distractions.

“Shooter ready?” Robert asked her. She nodded her head in response. “Stand by!” he said.

When she heard the buzzer go off, she fired off two sets of controlled pairs into both of the targets. Petra wasn’t watching where the shots were going. After she had fired off the first four rounds, her eyes were scanning for the next target. She walked forward with her rifle up. As she walked, she saw her next target. Two more rounds were fired into the target and then she went on to the next one.

Denise, Laura, Hannah, Steven, Dominic, and Talitha were watching her helmet camera as Petra went through the course. So far she hadn’t missed a single target.

“Watch your footing...” Dominic said out loud as Petra walked into an area that had loose sand on the ground. Petra maneuvered closer to the outside of the lane to avoid the loosest sand. Right before she entered the next part of the course, she paused at the entranceway. They watched as she pulled the magazine out of her body armor and replaced the almost empty one in the weapon while never taking he eyes off the entrance.

“Wonder who taught her that?” Laura said as she looked at Steven.

“She learned from the best, what can I say?” he replied.

The group heard four more sets of controlled pairs and watched as her rifle had a malfunction. She jumped over to a table and used her shoulder to push it on its side for cover. They watched as she cleared the malfunction, stood up, put another controlled pair into the last target, and continued on. Petra was walking down a hallway when a target popped up unexpectedly. She hit it with the butt of her rifle and then shot it twice.

“Not even a microsecond of hesitation.” Denise said to the group.

“Yeah, she’s in the zone for sure.” Laura said.

Petra ran forward and paused before entering the room ahead of her. She changed magazines in her M4 again and then strode purposefully in to find her targets.

“This is the part where she has to watch for obstacles on the ground. I also threw in a hostage target to see how she handles it.” Steven told them.

“Bollocks!!!” they heard her yell. The team quietly laughed as they watched her kick an overturned chair out of the way. They heard another 4 controlled pairs, a pause, and then a single shot.

They all looked at Robert as he gave a thumb up signaling that she’d shot the hostage taker and missed the hostage. She’d continued on and made it through the course to the end. Her M4 was out of ammunition, so the last 5 targets she pulled her pistol and double tapped all five of them. When she was finished, she sprinted as fast as she could down the trail for the finish point. When she crossed it, she stopped and turned to face Robert. Petra cleared her weapons and walked back to the bleachers where the rest of HER team was. Breathing heavy, she sat down, took her helmet off, and was handed a bottle of water by Steven. She opened it and downed the whole thing. He handed her another bottle and she only drank half. She leaned over and dumped the rest of it over her head to help her cool off.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.