The Volunteer
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

IT WAS ONLY A FEW BLOCKS to the General’s house. She was an old lady, retired from the Salvation Army. She had a modest house on the East Side, not far from the river. There, she lived an austere life, seldom straying from her living room. But it was known among a select few of the transients that she had half a dozen cots in her basement and no one in need of shelter for the night was turned away. G2 stood quietly at her door, waiting and dripping water on the steps. The door opened a crack and the General looked out. Then it was flung open wide.

“Heavens, man! You are soaked to the skin!” the General shouted. “Were you out in the rain all night?” G2 nodded his head. “Who are you? Is that G2?” G2 nodded again. “Haven’t I told you to come any time you are in need? Come in here and let’s get you dry and fed. Don’t worry about the water; I have a mop.” The General led G2 into the house and directly to the basement stairs. She grabbed a cloth shopping bag from a hook as they went. “There’s only Bill O’Reilly down here at the moment and I guess he’ll sleep another two hours. So here is a bag to put your valuables in. Empty all your pockets then throw your clothes out here on the floor.” She turned the water on in a corner shower stall. It began to steam and G2’s shivers shook him nearly off his feet. “Choose clothes out of the closet when you are done. I’ll wash these and you can have them back if you want them. You use that yellow soap all over, even your hair, and use a razor, too. I want you clean and shaved when you sit at my table.” The General left and G2 stripped and stepped into the steaming shower.

It took several minutes standing in the hot water before G2 stopped shaking enough to hold onto the bar of lye soap and scrub it on his body. It stung a little, but he knew it would kill the bugs that had infested his hair and skin. The General was fussy about cleanliness. G2’s last suit of clothes had come from the General’s closet. No doubt she would cut his hair off before nightfall. It would be cooler for the summer that way. Being clean and in clean clothes, the General would send him out to a job tomorrow. The General always had a job for you and you didn’t have to stand in line for it. You just went to a mission or a legion hall or even a church. You swept and mopped all the floors and cleaned the toilets. They gave you $20 and you left. It was good that you got that money, because you would be too clean and fresh-looking to make any money panhandling for a few days.

When he lived at home with his mother and sister, Gerald always had to be careful about how long a shower he took. If he used all the hot water his family would be upset, so his showers were hurried. By the age of fourteen he had become a speed masturbator. A few minutes in the shower with a bar of soap and Gerald could step out both clean and satisfied.

The General never seemed to run out of hot water, so unless there was a line of men waiting to get clean, there was no pressure to keep it short; but once he was warm, G2 felt no desire to stay in the shower as he had in his youth. G2 liked to be clean, but you couldn’t really be clean and homeless. It wasn’t that you couldn’t clean up, but no one gave money if you looked too well cared for. He saw it all the time. The first week was hardest on people who had been cast from their former lives and had to find a way to make it on the street. Like Jane. Of course she didn’t stay on the street too long—most women didn’t. Women mostly went to the shelters and they got them into a program. Once you went into a program, you were expected to do what was necessary to get off the street. They got you a real job, a babysitter, and even dressed you for respectable work. But a lot of women didn’t identify the shelters right away. They tried to make it on the street, sometimes living in their cars until the car ran out of gas and they couldn’t move it again. Then it would get towed and from then on they’d never see it again. No one who lived on the street could afford to get their car out of an impound lot. Jane had a car—and a baby. She ran away from an abusive boyfriend and suddenly discovered she had nowhere to go. She stood on a corner just off the exit ramp with a neatly lettered sign that said, “Homeless. Have baby. Need help.” The “have baby” was a nice touch because children moved people to pity, but at the same time, if you didn’t have the baby with you, they wondered if you really had a baby and if you did, who was watching it while you stood asking for a handout. And she didn’t look homeless. She was young and pretty. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail. She was dressed in a white blouse and dark pants. And no one stopped to give her money. That first day G2 saw her, he was the only one who gave her anything. It took four days before the freshness wore off. She’d been parking in the Walmart parking lot each night and then using their facilities to clean her and her baby up in the morning. She parked the little car that she drove just across the street from where she stood with her sign. That fourth day, the baby was wailing in the car and she couldn’t stand it. She wrapped the child up in a makeshift sling and carried her to the corner. Jane’s hair came down out of its ponytail and her white blouse showed the dirt and wrinkles of three days wear. She couldn’t get the baby to shush and before long tears were streaming down Jane’s cheeks, too. It all seemed too much. But that day, Jane got $14 in gifts. It was enough to get food and cloth diapers for the baby. Jane was at that corner for two weeks before she found a shelter that could take her and her daughter in. The last time G2 saw her, her hair hadn’t been washed in 10 days. Her clothes were rumpled because she slept in them as well as wearing them in the sun. The armpits were yellow and Jane cried almost constantly. But she got $15 - $20 each day standing at her freeway exit.


“And look at you, G2,” the General said. “Once you are clean and shaved you are a young man, not an old one. Why I could send you to work tomorrow and you could be hired full time. No more sleeping on the streets. You’d just need to stay away from the bottle.” Gerald was already feeling nervous about not having wine tonight before he slept. He was afraid he would start thinking again—thinking of what he had done and all that he had not done. If he went to sleep like that, he might think right through the night. Thinking like that could make you crazy. “I know you are not going to just quit drinking. G2. I’ve been there. A better Christian than I am would tell you that you just need to believe in Jesus and he will take away your thirst. But that sounds more like a threat to you than a blessing, doesn’t it, G2? You don’t want Jesus to take your thirst away. You are afraid of what might come instead.” Gerald knew he would get a sermon from the General, but she didn’t make you wait to eat while she preached. She sat at the table with you and scooped potatoes and boiled chicken onto her plate and preached with her mouth full. “People will tell you that life is too short to spend it at the bottom of a bottle, but they don’t know, do they, G2? It’s not too short, it’s too long.” The General took a long look at G2 and for a minute he thought she had finished the sermon before she finished eating. G2 scooped up a spoonful of peas covered with gravy, but almost didn’t get them to his mouth when the General suddenly stood and left the room. G2 was her only guest at dinner tonight. He wasn’t sure if it would offend her if he kept eating while she was gone. He sucked the spoon into his mouth and put it empty on his plate to wait. In a moment the General returned with a bottle and two glasses. “I haven’t much,” said the General, “but that which I have, I give you. In the name of Jesus, drink up.” She poured out what wine there was left in the bottle evenly into the two glasses. She took one and pushed the other toward G2. “It’s not much,” she said, “but it should keep the ghosts away tonight.” A tear welled up in G2’s eye and he whispered, “God bless.”

“I’ve seen you come through here once, twice a year for what now? Ten years? Fifteen?” the General mused aloud. “Those are the only words I hear you say. Well, it’s okay if you prefer just to listen. If a man chooses just two words to say in his entire life, you chose good ones.”


Gerald was eleven when the change started. It was a good year for most of his classmates. Most of the time, he could hide the thick bush of hair that grew in his groin. But his voice gave his early maturity away whenever he spoke. He spent a year excused from music class because he never knew what octave his voice would jump to when he sang. By the time he was twelve, that had been settled, but in spite of a sonorous bass voice that seemed out of place for his slight body, he couldn’t carry a tune, let alone a harmony line. Classmates nicknamed him “Radio” because no matter what he said, it sounded like he was announcing it over the air waves. The voice had done as much as his grades in getting him into college and getting the sales job he’d been offered after graduation. He could make smooth, easy presentations and people hung on every nonsense syllable he uttered. He hated his voice for sounding like a trusted authority, even when he had no idea what he was talking about.

His voice made a liar of him and G2 had decided long ago that he would no longer lie. It was his first week in on the street and G2 discovered how little he knew about living there. But he’d always found his amicable approach to people and his mellow voice to open any door, so the first night he sought shelter under a bridge, he decided to ask a group of men where he could get a bedroll and some assistance. G2 was still clean-shaven and smelled of the last shower he took in his apartment before he locked the door and left. He’d stopped at MacDonald’s for a double cheeseburger for a dollar, figuring he would make the twenty dollars he took with him when he left his apartment last. But his stomach was already complaining of too little to eat. He was still a few steps away from the men under the bridge when they stopped talking and directed their attention toward him. “Would you look at the college boy slumming,” one of them said. “You here as a class assignment? You doing research?” said another. They were decidedly unfriendly, but G2 was determined to make friends in his new life.

“I am a little new at being on the streets. I was wondering if you could help me out. I don’t even have a bedroll...”

“Where’s your camera crew, asshole?” a black man asked as he stood and stepped toward G2. “You puttin’ us all on TV?”

“No,” G2 explained. “I’m not a reporter. I’m just newly homeless and I was hoping someone would show me the ropes.”

“Ain’t no ropes here. You live or you die. Right now you closer to dying.”

“Sorry I bothered you,” G2 said. All four of the men were now approaching him and his heart was racing. He thought there was a kind of brotherhood among the homeless. They took care of each other. He just wanted a little information.

“No cameras, huh?” said a dirty man with a long beard and no teeth. “No one to see you get kicked in the nuts?” It took only a moment before G2 realized the man was not speaking figuratively. He keeled over clutching his privates. “Nobody to see us check you for a microphone?” said the black man who had approached first. He dropped onto G2’s stomach with his knee and ripped his shirt open to look for a wire. “Nobody to watch us check your pockets?” asked a man who looked like he was 80 and already had a hand in G2’s pants pocket. “Look here what I found! He’s got almost $20!” The fourth man, younger than the others, stood a few steps away and said nothing. G2 plead with him with his eyes, but the young man shrugged his shoulders and went back to the fire. “Twenty fucking dollars,” said the old man. “Go home and have a bath and wash the stink of us filth off of you. I’d kill you for fifty dollars. Twenty dollars, I’ll just kick you in the nuts again and tell you to get lost. And stay away from our bridge.” G2 stumbled away from the men, beaten, dirty, and penniless. He slept the night in a doorway of a warehouse and prayed that he could get back into his apartment in the morning.


“Bring your dishes to the kitchen,” the General said. G2 looked nervously at his wine glass, still over half an inch in it. “Don’t worry about the glass. You can take it downstairs with you.” G2 breathed a sigh of relief and brought the rest of the dishes to the sink where he helped wash them. He had learned long ago to ration his wine, just a sip at a time. His last bottle had lasted him three days.

“I know what G2 means,” the General continued in the kitchen. G2 looked at her curiously. He didn’t make a secret of his name; he just never used it. “G2 means God’s Grace. ‘Twas by God’s Grace you survived the night. God’s Grace led you to my door this morning. Yes, God’s Grace kept me alive to be here to help you. God’s Grace will take us both to our final reward sooner or later. I don’t threaten you with hell or damnation G2, for how could you tell that from what you suffer day by day. I don’t threaten you because you live in a state of God’s Grace.” The General’s voice turned to a sing-song adopted by many evangelists, G2 noted, but its hypnotic cadence drew him into her trance nonetheless. “Jesus was a transient with no possession but the clothes on his back, and so there is a special place for the homeless in God’s Grace. Who else but the homeless, the downtrodden, the vagrant—who else but you, G2, could offer for the slightest kindness the two words that the world most needs—most desperately wants—to hear? God bless. You say those words and I am humbled for I hear in them God’s Grace. God bless you, G2. Now take your cup to a cot downstairs and go sleep in peace.”

The enthusiastic, if tuneless, voice of the General followed him down stairs. “‘Twas grace that brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.”


It got terribly hot in the summertime, even this far north. G2 considered going up all the way to the Canadian border to see if it would be cooler there. There weren’t enough people further north, though. Perhaps it takes a village to raise a child, but it takes a city to feed a beggar. G2 had once tried to panhandle in the smaller towns but there simply weren’t enough resources. G2 didn’t mind moving from place to place, but with smaller towns and cities you had to move every few days. Some places were too small to stay a second day. In the city, moving meant a matter of blocks, not of miles. He could panhandle on Lake Street one day, Michigan Avenue the next, and at the expressway exit the next. He would never see the same person twice. People don’t like to see panhandlers at the same place day after day, G2 had decided. It confirmed suspicions they were lazy and sparked fears they had moved in to stay. But as long as you didn’t show up at the same place more than once a week, you were allowed to stay a few hours and then move on. Transient camps were another thing entirely. It seemed in the summer that wherever you gathered, the police were there in a day or two telling you to move on. G2 preferred to find a quiet spot to himself in the summer and although he moved frequently, he liked to stay near the lake.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.