Those Good Old Days
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2019 by Pappy

This story takes place near a great Midwest city. Like all Great cities in the Midwest, the area had undergone tremendous change in the past 200 years. Now it was changing again, some say for the better, some think for the worse though. Whatever, there were a few spots scattered 50 - 100 miles away that never seemed to change very much over the last 200 years.

One area raised horses and had done so since it was founded; another, cattle. Several areas were and still are home to the Amish and Mennonite cultures, not quite a Luddite but to varying degrees adhere to the ways of the past and ignore things we, in modern times, think of as necessary technology.

There is a difference in living that way, to destroying and forcing your belief on another; a sane person does not force their way of living on someone else. Most people do not want to go back to the Stone Age way of living.

Then there are some of us who don’t want to continue on the rat-race we call modern living either. So here I was, at a place my grandfather always referred to as ‘his peace in heaven on earth’. He probably exaggerated a little but after five years breathing in smog (In LA folks we have smog days) and having to wear a mask like in Tokyo when you did not know if the sun was shining, I left to try life here instead.

Just off the expressway, some 70 miles out of town I found a modern looking motel; at least that’s the way it looked from the parking lot. There were actually other cars there too, not just horses and buggies. Things sort of changed once I went inside to register. Looking around was a treat, inside was like a ‘Cracker Barrel’. A diner, food store, knickknacks, and a dozen other sections from household goods to fresh fruit and vegetables, not what I had expected.

I got a room and yes they took my Amex Card imprint; I never leave home without one. I had a small overnight bag and was walking to my room when I stopped to listen to a conversation between some girl and what was obviously an HR person.

“Why can’t you hire me, I need a job. My Dad even told me I should start working!”

“Hon, I wish I could hire you, but we have a State rule that until you are 18, we can only hire a 16 year-old to work 20 hours a week and that with the school’s approval.”

“But I just graduated high school and I am 15. They had me in advanced classes and I was taking College Credit courses my last 2 years.”

“I know you are smart, very smart, your test scores are off the chart, however, I can’t hire you.”

“It’s not fair! I worked so hard and there are not many places to get work around here. I don’t drive or have a car yet. Please, is there anything I can do?”

“I’m afraid nothing I can do, really, and I’m not recommending you do anything illegal either.”

She was walking past me looking like her dog was run over in front of her.

I made a comment, just had to, she was the kind of person you just instantly liked, or was it felt sorry for.

“Please don’t take this wrongly but I overheard part of your conversation about a job. What that person told you is not exactly true. There are a number of ways someone who is not 18 can get a job. There are Child Labour laws but, and I say but, to work full time and get paid requires both luck and a considerate judge. Interested in some jumping thru hoops to get a job?”

“Mister, I have three older brothers and am the eldest daughter of eight kids, so unless they marry me off to some farmer here I need a job.”

“OK! I like you! I got a good feeling about you. Let’s have some food, I’ll tell you about me and what options you may have. After that can we go to your home and speak with your parents. They need to agree with what options we consider then give some approvals accordingly.”

“Great, but I live 6 miles away and by the time I walk home, ask them for permission and walk back to tell you I’m not sure I will even think straight.”

“OK, no car right, I heard you say that. What if we drive my car over, I’ll wait outside and you go in and tell them what we want to discuss or I’ll go back to the motel and you call me if everything is OK to come over.”

“Except we don’t have a phone, just a shortwave to call the farmers and workers.”

“If I have the front desk verify who I am and we tell them you are going home with me, would your parents object to that? I used to live near here ten years ago and my granddad died six years ago, he was well-known here I think!”

After checking and a cross-exam by Holly at the Front desk we were off.

My MB was not a Jeep or a off-road truck, but Samantha told me there were dirt roads all the way home that when there was no rain, ice or snow would be fine for a car to pass.

“This sure beats walking!” She exclaimed.

She was a pretty little thing, actually she looked older than the 14 or 15 that I guessed she was. Pretty smart too to graduate high school already.

Mom and Dad apparently were letting us talk about a job; she motioned me into the house. She said they were impressed that we both took so much care to identify who she was going with. Holly, from the front desk, had copies my license, car registration, plate numbers, 2 credit cards and called the local police who said they knew my Granddad She too would pass muster if she ever wanted a job with me.

The job, Oh yeah. It was working for me. Duties were simple, she would do or be responsible for everything I did not want to do. I had a salary in mind, a good one for a person of any age. In my line of work you follow that gut feel. In 5 years I had made a ton of money buying and selling stock, homes and various business loans using the money I had inherited. At 23 now I was rich and burned out. I told you, Granddad’s words would remind me how things used to be.

We sat at a kitchen table, four coffees later here is a summary of what Samantha’s options were, as we saw them.

1 Get emancipated 2 Own a piece of the business, 17% or so 3 Get married and work in a family owned business 4 Have a judge agree that as a HS grad she was OK to work 5 Work 20 hours a week with her former school’s approval 6 Move to a State with less restrictive Child Labour Laws 7 Lie and/or use a false id 8 Fight things in-court

I told them options 2 and 3 sounded pretty good to me.

Samantha blushed. Mom and Dad did not seem very shocked. I later learned girls as young as 11 or 12 were married off, if they told the judge they were pregnant. At 13 the girls parents could allow a couple to get married in this State.

I still had not spoken of what the job consisted of or how much the salary and benefits would be. In the time we spent talking I already decided I would pay for her to gain a higher education. The job, as I saw year one would be to find me a house, land, a small farm, lodge or resort at which I could re-live that dream I spoke of earlier. No mean feat seeing as even I did not know the particulars. There was an old saying, ‘I’ll know when I see it’!

In effect she and I needed to be joined at the hip so to speak; each trusting the actions of the other. Sounded like a marriage to me!

“We can’t decide what this means. We need to have a family meeting and discuss things. The wife and I thank you for speaking to us plainly so as we could follow what you were saying. Sam is the oldest girl and we know farm life is not going to please her. How long are you in town or do we have to decide?”

“I’m not certain if I said this to you but I used to live near here and decided to come back. Take as much or as little time as necessary. I will not hire anyone else until I tell you, then you say aye or nay. I like Samantha, like this town and the people in it and want to become a part of it again. That’s another thing I look to Samantha for.

In many ways I was just repeating the same things granddad had said to me. I did not know for certain what I wanted but deep down knew it was not what I had been doing in LA. Funny how we seem to know what we dislike but are unable to voice the things we want in a new life.

That ‘M’ word came up. I had it as an option, her Mom and Dad had brought it up several times and Samantha merely asked if she would not be too young for me, she had no real sex experience. I asked my self something different. With respect to a house, land or farm I hadn’t a clue. I merely wanted something nice and comfortable, not a mansion for people to look at. Yes, I did want some modern conveniences but nothing extreme or out of the ordinary. Samantha and her parents and I had a talk about that. The only things they did not have on the farm were a telephone, hot tub and swimming pool. We agreed that a lake or a hot spring could work just as well. City water and sewer were not available in most farm country but a well and good septic system worked just as well, sometimes better.

Judging from the head nods and bobbing up and down they seemed to agree with my thoughts. I also caught glances between mother and daughter, then both looked at me. Yep, Mom did not seem to think there was not much of a problem in those 7 or 8 years difference. I did not either, in-fact the more I listened to her take on things the more I found myself wondering how I could enjoy life without her.

Sad to say, that was exactly what happened. My mistake was showing her LA. Then the change from isolated farm girl to the dazzle of life in the big city set in. My thought was that it happen sooner or later. I canceled our trip to Las Vegas. She did comeback with me, unsigned contracts in-hand for a ‘family’ discussion as to what option she should take.

As I said before, no salary or benefits as part of my job had ever been discussed. The money, glitter and glamour she saw that would be hers in LA was all she could talk about. Her dad and I had a brief conversation. I think he expected me to voice some objections, I did not. Samantha and her Mom and Dad thought I would just go back to LA with her in-tow and we would live happily ever-after.

Been there, done that; it came as a shock to them when I wished her good luck, saying that unless she tried things like that it would be a problem for the rest of her life. I, however, would not be a part of that. Sure, I was disappointed but kept a lot of my bitterness out of the conversation. I saw in her the answer to my problem but now better understood her feelings for an escape from the farm confines.

The Bard once wrote, ‘Parting is such sweet-sorrow’ or something like that. It was true. It taught me a lesson not to jump to conclusions and not to assume to know the value on what the other might be thinking. It was different here. In LA, money seemed to be the end-all in everything. Here, people had other values.

People being people all had a whole bunch of differing values here. There were things most in a farming community shared, like rain, the weather, crop prices etc, but there were many more unique quirks based of who they were. Besides, I could never understand a woman, gave up trying to long ago.

Went back to my room, took a shower and grabbed anything I could find in that self-serve mini-bar. The next morning I had to ask myself if it was all a dream. Obviously the flight tickets to LA gave me some proof. Breakfast did not, it was tasteless. My depression might have been the reason for that, the other diners seemed to be enjoying their food.

As I looked up I saw someone I knew; it was Holly. She sat right down and handed me a package. “Here are all the things of yours I copied when you took Sam home. I guess things did not work out with her, your back alone.”

“You might say that but better now than later; she just wanted to get away from the farm thing, I think. How are you doing?”

“I’m fine I guess!”

“That sounds a bit like your not. You know if you ever need anything or a job, I think you have a lot of potential!”

‘Thanks but around here potential is just a nice way of saying ‘horse shit’; it doesn’t pay the bills even as fertilizer goes.”

“Education, good luck and money pay the bills. What do you need to get ahead?”

“A rich husband, generous boyfriend and ... seriously though, I want to be an architect. That takes a formal education and experience. I have neither.”

“OK, is the a school here where you can learn some things?

“The local college has the basic math and graphics but it only gives a 2 year degree. Then I’d have to go to get more specialized study then a license and/or experience, easy huh? I can’t even afford that basic school.”

“Holly, do you live at home?”

“Yes! Why?”

“If you get a B average for your first two years I’ll pay for the rest you need. I will pay for your first two years here at the community college and your school expenses. You will get some extra money for clothes, food and personal items. When ready, you will come work for me with a good salary for four years then you are free to do your own thing. What do you say?”

“What no first born, live in maid or be your slave? Where do I sign up?”

“You have already. I will give you 3 months expenses in advance at a time. Summers are yours or go to class, your call.”

Well I was sending someone to college, someone who seemed to appreciate it. I still did not have a solution to my problem though. I dare not ask Holly but my options were limited. To see her face brighten up was something to behold.

“Class starts next month, Summer school. Can I go?”

“Gee, let me see? Well, yes I guess you can. If school needs more than 3 months at a time we can change to 6 or 12 even.”

“I can’t thank you enough. Are you sure I can’t do anything for you?”

“Find me another you or a Samantha. I really want to find a place for myself around here; LA is no longer my home.”

“What was that saying, ‘Ask and ye shall receive!’; well I asked.

I never expected what stood before me.

“Hi Holly, who is your friend?”

“I hope she is the person you asked me to find’ that’s who. Meet Jeannie, Sam’s sister’ my friend since forever.”

“Hello Jeannie! May I ask how old are you?”

“Old enough to know what I want; and from what Sam, Mom an Dad were saying you want the same things I do.”

“That old, really, you look younger!”

“I’ll be 15 a month after Sam turns 16. Unlike my older sister I have a dream and I think this is the place that has what I want. The same as what you want, I think.”

Holly smiled, closed the door and Jeannie walked in and sat down on the sofa. She proceeded to tell me why she was not like Samantha and why I should hire her.

“We need to almost be, ... be joined at the hip, like those Siamese twins at the county fair. I am too young to marry you but I asked Mom and Dad and they agreed living with you and getting to know you better is a smart thing. I say Doc Williams and he made it so I can’t have babies until we are ready. Six month implant in my arm I think he said.”

“Wow! How old did you say you were?”

“I’m 14, almost 15. I will be in 11th grade in September, have a A average in school and have a plan I have been working on for almost four years. Want to hear it?”

Hell yeah I do! You are something else. Is there something in the food or water here that makes you and Samantha so smart?

“Sam is not very smart if she passes on someone like you. There are only a few times when a girl meets someone who understands and shares her dreams.”

By this time tears were running down my cheeks.

“Here is what I’m thinking.”

She laid out that plan like a real estate developer would.

“My friend, Mr. Rodgers. knew your granddad I spoke with him before I came here, rather spoke with Holly first. She agreed that you would like me.”

“What’s not to like? Go o, I’m sorry for interrupting.”

“Not a problem, as I surmised before I did this, you and I need to get close and I mean in every way. I know you are older and have more experience in life, but I am a quick learner and want to eventually be your wife, so treat me as such. Mom said we don’t even need to be married right away. In this State we have common law marriage so we can decide those things later.”

“You are too much Jen!”

“Here is the plan!”

She told me her friend had 12,000 acres, about 20 sections that had been in his family forever.

“He is 86 and expects he wont see 90. The State has another 24 - 30 sections, 14 - 18,000 acres for sale. I want us to buy it all or at least 14,000 from the State. My Rodger also owns the large lake, he will sell that too.”

‘Mighty free with my money’ I thought.

“His Land would be a little over $1.8 million, the lake about $500,000. The State lands go for another $1 - $2 Million depending on what we take.”

She got my attention and neither of us was laughing.

“I forgot to tell you he has a nice house, three barns, four silos and 5 sections under the plow that he leases out. Now I was thinking. We keep the forested portions, the house, barns and the like plus the lake for ourselves. The State land we turn into 10 acre home sites, At $50,000 per we should see $60-$70 Million from that alone. The rest we raise horses and cattle feeding them from the things we grow. All the farm hands we hire. That will pay the expenses each year plus make us $1 Million. Later we can build a lodge, maybe a fish camp by the lake and let the children run it. What do you think?”

“It’s a lot of money and risky, have you considered that?”

“Yes dear! If we start small we can buy options on the land from the State and only buy a section (600 Acres) at a time. The options cost $1,000 per section per year and we get the right of first refusal if somebody else makes a offer. We would have 45 days to buy it then. It sells for$75 an acre or $45,000 a section; cheap but the land varies. I estimated that we would only have 1,250-1,500 home sites to sell.”

“Do you have any idea what the cost of roads, utilities and other take out costs like telephones, water, sewer, gas and...”

“Dear, this is THE Country, not the city. We will have no expenses. Wells, septic, roads, gravel or otherwise would be the expense of the lot owner when or if they build. Some may elect to use a tent, camper, RV or trailer on THEIR land.”

“I have lived in LA too long; you are right. Another concern I sold my LA home for about $2 Million. Banks will not loan money on bare land or water.’

“So we option the State land, buy the lake and Mr. Rodgers land and make him a partner for the difference. He likes me and will take this deal’ he will not even be able to spend half that.”

“How do you know that?”

“I covered those options with him before today. I said he likes me.”

“You my dear are dangerous, you know that? WE have a few shekels put aside for a rainy day so there is enough to pay for everything without a loan. See if he will take less for the lake and land in exchange for...”

“We can have his land and lake for $2 Million cash and 3% of what we gross for profit for as long as he lives. His executor agrees with those terms. I have excluded myself from the will.”

“Four years you’ve been planning this. What do you need me for?”

“Well Mr, Rodgers is Mom’s Dad and as I said, I am his favourite grand daughter. Besides I can’t own anything myself until I’m 18. Not to mention I’m still in school and would be short a few $ Million without you.”

“By your projections my dear, how long will this take.”

“Over 10 years we should be about 65% sold out. Assuming $24 Million gross profit and $26 Million sales expenses and taxes on what we hold after tax net is just over $10 Million or $1 Million a year. I am being conservative with my estimates.”

“I do too, we can probably make more. Let’s see this paradise on earth.”

“We are having dinner there tonight. We can watch the sun set over the lake. Your calling it paradise is not far from the truth, dear!”

“You are something else, you know that?”

“Yes, I’m glad you do too!”

She wasn’t kidding. I knew we had found what we both were looking for the second I watched the sun set over the lake. It was a sight that one usually saw only in pictures.

I Sat down on a fallen log first, Jen soon followed on my lap. When she rested her head on my chest and both watched the sunset, I knew I was a goner.

Dinner at the house was plain simple fare if you call steak, a baked potato and salad a simple meal. George Rodgers was a man who knew my Granddad and did not hesitate to remind me of what he would say and do. He asked me a question.

“If you want to get out of the Rat Race, then why tie yourselves down for 10-20 years?”

“Simple, ask her. I don’t want to even think about the work this will take.”

“Grandpa, it’s the same reason you held on to this much land and the lake.”

He had to pause at that.

“It’s not for us but something to hand down to our children and theirs. That’s why we are only selling the State bought land, not yours or the lake. You know I love this place, to me it is my piece of Heaven on Earth.”

Upon hearing that I had to think of what made her say that. Peace and Piece sound so much alike.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.