Vennoa's Adventures in Saltmarsh - Cover

Vennoa's Adventures in Saltmarsh

Copyright© 2019 by Spherical Spoon

Chapter 5

“So, where shall we go next?” Aldalome asked the party once they had left the Council Hall.

“I could do with a drink, and a warm bed to rest in,” Ehs said.

Vennoa wasn’t sure if she wanted to continue being in the party, but the tavern did sound like a good option, so she kept quiet.

“I must return to my people and tell them about what has happened,” Oceanus said.

“You don’t have time even for one drink?” An’gari asked.

“I’m afraid not. If you ever come to our waters, I will gladly take you up on your offer. My duty calls!” Oceanus replied. With that, he waved to the party, and walked down the street towards the coast. He seemed very familiar with the layout of Saltmarsh.

“So, the tavern?” Nat asked the rest.

With both small and larger nods from the party, they headed to the Wicker Goat.

Their entrance into the Wicker Goat drew a lot of attention from the people within. Perhaps it was the fact that they were a group of five people of different races, or perhaps it was the crusty bits of mud, marsh, and blood sticking to their clothes and armor.

“Welcome, adventurers,” Lankus declared. He waved and signaled them to an open table.

As they settled in around the table, Lankus walked up carrying mugs of ale.

“Here! This round is on the house,” Lankus said. “How were your adventures?” he asked, pulling up a stool and sitting with them.

“Do you know of the lizardfolk lair in the area?” Aldalome asked.

“Yes, I’ve heard that it’s quite a distance North of here,” Lankus replied. “The lizardfolk tend to keep to themselves, few of them come here to Saltmarsh. I heard that two of them came back with you.”

“We were tasked with investigating their lair,” Aldalome added.

Lankus nodded, waiting for them to continue.

He’s prying us for information! Vennoa admired Lankus’ strategy, and sat back to see if the rest of the party would realize it.

“They were massing weapons,” An’gari said. “We went to find out what if they were going to attack Saltmarsh.”

Lankus’ eyes widened. Then, he said, “I take it that they weren’t intending to do that?”

Nat said, “No, they are preparing for a war with the sahuagin, and they want Saltmarsh to join them.”

“The sahuagin?” Lankus asked. “I’ve heard many sailors complaining about them. Many have lost their lives to the sahuagin. They are a terror upon our seas.”

Nat nodded. “Indeed, it seems like the lizardfolk and sea elves agree.”

“The sea elves?”

Nat said, “Oceanus was with us. He was a sea elf.”

Lankus said, “Oceanus, huh. I’ve seen him around Saltmarsh a lot, but he doesn’t frequent my tavern for some reason.”

Vennoa crossed her arms. “I wonder why that would be,” she said with a sarcastic tone.

Lankus either didn’t catch her tone or ignored it. He said, “There’s no reason why! We’re the best tavern in town!”

“We also killed a giant crocodile,” Ehs said proudly.

“Thousand Teeth,” Aldalome added.

“What about a thousand teeth?” Lankus asked, confused.

“Not a thousand teeth. Thousand Teeth!” Aldalome said.

“Well, it did have a thousand teeth...” Nat said.

The rest of the party chuckled, but Lankus had no idea what they were laughing about.

“Thousand Teeth was the crocodile,” Ehs said to Lankus. Lankus nodded in thanks.

Sensing that he had gotten most of the information from the party for now, Lankus picked up the empty mugs around the table, and said, “I’ll be back with more ale.”

As Lankus walked into the backroom to refill the ale, a half-orc from a nearby table walked over. Vennoa eyed him carefully. Kakte couldn’t have tracked me all the way here. If he did, I’ll make short work of him and his goons. Vennoa grinned to herself. Yes. You have the power now. Make them pay.

The half-orc didn’t look like he worked in disreputable places. In fact, he was dressed in fine clothing that look better than what the party was dressed in. The half-orc was tall, and stood high above Nat, especially when she was seated.

The half-orc looked down at them and said, “I hear that you’re adventurers?”

Nat looked up defiantly and replied, “What’s it to you?”

The half-orc replied, “My name is Vertheg, and my master has tasked me with finding capable adventurers.”

Nat looked a little appeased by that reply, but continued to stare at Vertheg.

“Who is your master?” Vennoa asked cautiously.

“My master is Aubrek. He runs the finest trading ships in Saltmarsh,” Vertheg replied pompously.

“And why would he have need of adventurers?” Ehs asked.

“He needs capable adventurers, like yourselves, to recover a lost item for him.”

Vennoa sighed quietly to herself. Are adventurers just errand runners?

“Where is this item exactly?” Ehs continued probing.

“It was lost at sea,” Vertheg explained.

“We’re not sailors, nor are we diviners. How are we supposed to find the item for your master?” Ehs asked.

“My master would be best suited to answer your questions. If you would follow me, I can bring you to him,” Vertheg said.

“What’s in it for us?” Vennoa asked, watching his face carefully.

Vertheg didn’t flinch as he replied, “I’m sure my master will reward all of you well, if you complete his request.”

Vennoa nodded smugly, and looked at the rest of the party. Getting more gold was always welcome in her book, even if she had to do some adventuring to get it.

The rest of the party seemed to have the same thoughts. While they were weary from their recent trip to the lizardfolk lair, being adventurers, they were itching for their next adventure. The party stood up from their table, and followed Vertheg’s lead out of the tavern.

Lankus came out of the backroom with more mugs of ale, and saw the empty table where the party had been. He sighed and put the mugs on the bar. He looked around the tavern to find other people to get gossip from.


Vertheg led the party swiftly through the streets of Saltmarsh. Before long, they arrived outside Aubrek’s mansion. The mansion was large, but looked somewhat run down. The grass on the lawn looked like it hadn’t been cut for months, with various weeds sticking tall among the otherwise homogeneous grass. The mansion itself looked like it could use a fresh coat of paint, and most of the many windows of the structure had a layer of dust on them.

Doesn’t look like the finest trader in Saltmarsh, Vennoa thought. Either that, or not much trading is done around here.

The party kept their thoughts to themselves, but Vennoa could tell from their facial expressions that they had similar thoughts. Vertheg led them inside the mansion to the main hall, and asked them to wait for a moment while he retrieved his master.

The party looked around the room. Much like the outside of the building, the furniture in this room was exquisite, yet old and poorly maintained. There were numerous paintings hanging on the wall, and although Vennoa couldn’t appreciate them, she could tell that they were valuable, at least based on the intricate frames used to surround them. However, the frames also had a layer of dust on them, so much so that it was visible from a distance. Vennoa glanced at the chairs around the room, and decided that she preferred to stand. She scratched her arm a little just thinking about it.

Before long, Vertheg returned with a middle-aged human. The man was dressed in fine clothes that looked well-worn. From the looks of it, this man was a noble of some kind, who had a poor fashion sense, or didn’t have anything better to wear. His slightly graying hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and he had a well-groomed moustache above his lips.

“Welcome,” the man declared. “I am Aubrek Drallion, merchant prince of Saltmarsh. My servant Vertheg here tells me that you are capable adventurers?”

Nat nodded enthusiastically. “Yes, we are!”

Aubrek looked at Nat, as if examining her. He stroked his moustache and said, “Tell me about your past adventures, so that I may believe you.”

Vennoa gave a defiant look and replied, “Why should we prove ourselves to you?” Gesturing to Vertheg, she continued, “Vertheg was the one who invited us here.”

Vertheg gave a sheepish look, and said to Aubrek, “These adventurers were just at the lizardfolk lair, and they killed a huge crocodile for the lizardfolk.”

“We explored the lizardfolk lair, and gained the favor of Queen Othokent,” An’gari said proudly.

“And we killed Thousand Teeth,” Ehs added.

“You killed a thousand teeth?” Aubrek asked, clearly confused.

“That’s the name of the crocodile, master,” Vertheg explained.

“I see,” Aubrek said, nodding to himself. “Very well, since you went to the lizardfolk lair and came back alive, that must say something about your capabilities.”

Nat asked, “So tell us more about this quest that you would like us to do.”

Vennoa cut in, “This quest that you’re paying us to do.”

“I need you to retrieve an item,” Aubrek started. “It is of immense value to me. I have a ship, the Emperor of the Waves, and the item is on it.”

“And where is the ship now?” Aldalome asked.

“It was lost at sea,” Aubrek replied with a sad look on his face. “The Emperor was my finest ship, and I had risked all of my wealth on that trip. Alas! A wicked storm arose and the Emperor was separated from its escort. We never saw it again.” Aubrek sighed. “Now, I am reduced to living like this!”

Vennoa crossed her arms. So far, Aubrek hadn’t said anything new from what Vertheg had already told them, other than his anguish at his rich, but not immensely wealthy, life.

“We believed that the Emperor had sunk to the bottom of the sea, along with all of my fortunes,” Aubrek continued. “But fifteen days ago, I received word that the Emperor was spotted adrift in the southern sea! Now, I need adventurers like you to help restore me to my true stature in Saltmarsh.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.