The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 23

Susan rode Tana beside him, with a rifleman driving the cart just behind. “So the Rifles passed the inspection?” she asked.

“Yes, it seems the Army does have some honourable officers who can see sense after all.”

Susan laughed, “Have you decided how you are going to use the magnesium yet?”

David shook his head, “Turin and Sultar are working on it. Essentially, we need a fuse for igniting it and something to house it so it can be thrown in sufficient concentration and quantity to generate the required illumination when and where we need it.”

“Well, make sure that they are careful. It’s not the sort of material to take chances with. I’ve been giving this some thought, and I think you’d be better using it in a rocket rather than throwing it,” Susan replied.

David looked at her in surprise, “Darling, would that be possible?” he asked.

“I don’t see why not. Rockets are propelled by gunpowder with a container at the end of the rocket for an explosive charge. Your rockets would contain magnesium instead. The heat and flame of the gunpowder could be made to ignite it. Well, that’s my idea anyway.”

“Susan that’s brilliant!” he said, excitedly, “If we only had a means of making them.”

“Well I’ve seen them going up in the city when someone gets married. Perhaps someone makes them locally.”

The Fort had returned to normal after the furore of preparing for the inspection. Men went about their duties supervised by their NCOs. David wasted no time informing his officers of Keeling’s decision regarding the Rifle’s future, knowing they would pass on the information to the troops. He turned to Subedar Hagar, “Can you return to the city and locate anyone who makes fireworks, rockets in particular. And bring them out to the Fort with their materials for making them.”

Hagar frowned, “Of course, Colonel Sahib, I’ll leave immediately”.

David explained Susan’s suggestion to them, seeing the light of understanding appearing in their eyes. Turin said a patrol had been dispatched to the Pass and that they should have their report on conditions there the next day. Para said six mules and three carts had arrived from the Horse Master. In addition, the building materials for improving defences in the Pass had been arriving, and were being stockpiled, but they were still waiting for sufficient rope to arrive for the blocks and tackles.

David was in his office when Susan came in. She smiled and sat down opposite his desk. Have you finished your restocking all ready?” he asked.

She nodded, “All done. I’ve been checking some of the work your aid men have done. They brought their patients for me to check. They had done it right.”

He smiled back, “So where did you store the magnesium?”

“I’ve put it in my bedroom, since I won’t be using it as a bedroom anymore,” she said demurely.

He looked at her, surprised by her frank admission, “Susan we should get married. The problem is there’s no minister in Kanda.”

She laughed, “Well, that’s not the most romantic way of asking someone to marry you. However, darling, I can wait until we find someone. Anyhow, in God’s eyes we are already married,” she said softly, coming around the desk and kissing him.

“I’ll buy you a ring the next time I’m in the city, darling,” he promised.

The following morning, Susan left with an escort of four Riflemen. The parting had been sad, neither wanting it. Nevertheless, both knew they had duties to attend to that couldn’t be put off. Later that morning three large wagons arrived with oats and fodder for the horses. David was informed the wagons and twelve mules were to stay at the Fort after unloading. With nearly three hundred horses and mules to feed, it could have posed a problem except for the ready grazing available just outside of the Fort. The winter rains had assured an abundance of grass.

Turin suggested that some of the building materials could be transported and stored at the entrance to the Pass to reduce the time of transportation from the Fort. David agreed, and the wagons were reloaded ready for the following morning.

The patrol returned from the Pass to say they had managed to get to within half a mile of the cleft before being halted. “The sun is melting the snow on the crests, Colonel Sahib, and causing avalanches. But in the narrowest passages it only gets sunlight for perhaps two or three hours a day,” the Naik patrol leader reported.

At the Officers Call that day, David explained he wanted no hold ups. “Once we can safely get men up to the crests, I want those lookout posts expanding to take ten men. The key to holding the Pass will depend on those lookouts. If, as I suspect, the Russians intend to use artillery against us, then they will need a spotter to report the fall of shot. They must be prevented from this, therefore the lookouts must be our best marksmen.”

“They will surely attack at night Colonel Sahib,” Sultar murmured.

David nodded, “If it were me, I would.”

Para coughed, “Do we have anything to illuminate the crests and cleft yet, Colonel Sahib?”

“I’m hoping when Subedar Hagar returns we may have a solution to the problem,” David replied.

David was in his office when Hagar returned later that afternoon, appearing at his door with a man and a boy. “This is Mr. Tamar and his son, Colonel Sahib,” Hagar said. Mr. Tamar looked to be in his late fifties, whilst the boy looked, to David, to be a teenager. Mr. Tamar looked worriedly at David, wondering why he was here. David tried to put him at ease and asked about his business, finding out that it was a family-run enterprise that stretched back four generations. David explained he wanted a rocket that could explode with a dazzling white light, going on to say he had the material for the light, but could it be harnessed to Mr. Tamar’s rockets?

Mr. Tamar explained he would need to see the material first. David had Hagar bring the tin tub from Susan’s bedroom. Expecting a powder, when David removed the lid he was surprised to find what looked like metallic shavings. Tamar smelled the contents then picked up a pinch and rubbed it between his fingers. Finally, he took a small amount outside and placed it on the ground. Then, using a long taper, he placed the burning end into the small mound of shavings. Nothing happened for a second or two and then, with a whoosh, it ignited with a dazzling white light and a thick pall of white smoke.

Mr. Tamar looked satisfied. “How high does the Sahib wish the rocket to fly?” he asked.

“Only a hundred feet. We wish the bright light to show what is on the ground at night,” David explained.

Tamar nodded understanding, “And how many rockets will the Sahib need?”

“At least a hundred,” David replied.

Tamar looked worried, “Sahib, I do not have here sufficient gunpowder or other materials to make that number.”

“We can give you gunpowder and perhaps your son can return to bring the materials you need from the city.”

Tamar smiled and began telling his son what was needed, while Hagar arranged for a mule cart and escort to take him to gather the necessary materials. Mr. Tamar moved his cart outside of the Fort and set up his camp.

The next morning David rode out with the patrol to check the Pass. At the entrance, the men put on their overcoats and gloves to combat the freezing cold wind that blew down it. As they slowly rode down the Pass, David could see that the snow had gone from the heights. Not until they were three miles into it did they see remnants of it in shaded spots along the route. They were less than half a mile from the cleft before the way became blocked. David could see the top of the buttress through his telescope. Icicles hung down, reflecting the sunlight, and he noticed they were dripping. The ground underfoot was a mixture of mud and slush, with small streams of water soaking into the sand. “It has retreated nearly fifty feet since the last patrol, Colonel Sahib,” the Naik said pointing to a mark on one wall of the gorge. David watched as he marked the current position. They returned to the entrance and made camp for the night.

As he and the patrol rode through the Fort gate, David noticed that Mr. Tamar’s camp had grown. Several others were now helping and he saw Sultar amongst them. Back in his quarters, he asked Hagar to prepare a bath and arrange a meeting with his officers in an hour’s time.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.