The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 21

Susan departed two days later, escorted by two Riflemen. Their farewell had been hard for both, each making the moment last as long as possible.

It was a week after that Para, Hagar, Turin and Sultar unexpectedly entered his office one morning. David frowned seeing the officers. Subedar Major Para broke the silence, “Colonel Sahib, you command the 1st Khana Rifles is this not so?” David nodded.

“Is it not also true that the men of the Khana Rifles are Ghurkhas, and that a Ghurkha is not a Ghurkha without a kukri?” Again David nodded, now even more curious about the purpose of the conversation.

“And yet, Colonel Sahib, there is one man in your command who does not wear a kukri.”

David’s face was creased in thought trying to think to whom they could be referring. Then Turin brought from behind his back a sheathed kukri. Its hilt was ivory with silver-chased bands around it. Para continued, “Colonel Sahib, you are that man. It is not fitting that you do not wear one,” he said as Turin presented it to him.

David was overcome, “Gentlemen, the honour you do me with this gift is beyond any words that I am capable of expressing. Needless to say I shall wear this in full knowledge of the traditions and courage that mark a Ghurkha.”

David learnt afterwards that it had been ordered two months ago by one of the rifleman, who had returned to Nepal on home leave. One of the advantages of issuing home leave had been that the returning men were invariably accompanied by more volunteers for the regiment. David examined the kukri after the men had gone. The fifteen inch blade was razor sharp, easily slicing off the hairs on his arm.

With Susan’s Tana gone, David was able to move Thor into the stable alongside Khan. At first Khan resented the fuss David made of Thor, but eventually grew to accept him.

At Officer’s Call, Sultar brought up a question that some of the medical team in his command had posed. It was Susan’s unanswered question: How would men seriously wounded on the crests be brought down to the valley?

David considered the question. It would be very dangerous to try carrying a stretcher down the steep paths. “The obvious answer is to lower the stretcher down, which will mean having a block and tackle trestle on both crests,” he said.

“Also, how do we intend to get the wounded back to the Fort?” Sultar asked.

David chuckled, “It is clear the medical teams take their positions seriously.”

Turin said the road within the Pass was not that good, owing to frequent rock falls, but stretchers could be carried to the entrance slung between mules and then transferred to a cart for the journey to the fort. This raised the question of mules and carts. The Fort only had two mules and one cart which were used by Subedar Hagar for trips to the city for replenishing stocks. David made a note in his book, promising to bring it to the consideration of the Prince.

“We must now turn our attention to Panther Company,” David said. “We now have sufficient men to make up a troop. Subedar Major Para’s men have been commanding it up to now, but we need to decide who within the troop should be promoted to lead it. I would like you to discuss this amongst yourselves and give me your recommendations.” At that, David brought the meeting to a close.

It was two weeks later that David was free to visit the city. Mounting Khan, he informed Hanga that he would be away for several days. David had been hoping to get away before this, but something always came up that demanded his attention. Now, at last, he was free to go. It was of course necessary to secure mules and a cart for the hospital and to organise the heavy wagons and building material for the Pass. However, he knew the underlying reason for his urgency was to see Susan.

As always, he was shown into the presence of the Prince by Peshawar. After the usual greetings, they got down to business. David’s requests were soon sorted out, the Prince telling him to see the Horse Master for his requests for draft animals and the necessary carts and wagons. The Prince’s face grew sombre, “My brother-in-law has been up to some mischief, informing the British Authorities that only a rabble guards the Pass, and it would seem that his lies have been taken seriously. General Sir Reginald Fitzroy and his staff are due to visit me in two weeks’ time to discuss the safety of the Pass.”

The Prince smiled at the look on David’s face at the mention of the name. “I was wondering if we could not lay on a demonstration of the ‘rabble’ so the General could see for himself.”

David’s face became grim, “I could have two hundred and fifty men parade for him so he could judge for himself if they are a ‘rabble.’”

“I see we are in accord David,” the Prince replied. “It may help if all the captured Russian rifles were at hand to show the success of your defence of the Pass as well. I will have quarters prepared for your troops. They should be here a day before the parade.” David acknowledged the Prince’s order.

“Now I mustn’t detain you any longer, as I know a certain doctor is most anxious to see you,” the Prince said, with a broad smile on his face.

She was in the stables talking to Ashar Khan when he appeared. “David!” she cried throwing herself into his arms and kissing him.

“It seems the Colonel Sahib has made another conquest,” Ashar said chuckling.

David blushed with embarrassment, as he gently broke free from her embrace.

“Colonel Sahib it is too late to blush. Everyone in the Palace is aware of your feelings in this matter,” he murmured, still chuckling.

David quickly explained the need for the mules and cart, and the wagons and building materials. Ashar smiled, “I shall bring them out to the Fort at the end of the week. Perhaps Memsahib Susan would like to accompany me to give Tana some exercise?” he said, with a knowing smile.

Susan led him to her quarters and they stood on the terrace looking out over the city, his arm around her waist. “I’ve missed you,” she whispered resting her head on his shoulder.

“I think of you every night before I sleep,” he replied.

“Well you won’t need to tonight. I’ve told the girls we shall eat in here this evening.”

“I’ll have to find where Peshawar is putting me so I can wash and change beforehand,” David replied.

“No, you don’t. Your saddlebags have been brought. You’re sleeping here tonight,” she whispered.

David looked at her, astonished, “Susan, are you sure about this?”

She smiled, “Oh yes David, I’m sure, but only if you want to.”

For a reply he kissed her, holding the kiss for several seconds in an attempt to communicate his feelings. “I’d better go and clean up. I’m dusty from the ride,” he murmured.

She smiled and clapped her hands. At the sound, the doors flew open and two girls in saris appeared. Susan addressed them, “Sula, Patta, the Sahib needs a bath prepared.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.