The Tides of War
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

The lights of the Fort reminded him so he told the Lance Naik to draw two oil lamps from the stores for when the returned to the Pass. This was the same four-man detail that had driven the first herd down to the Fort and were anxious to get their own horses back. David smiled at the bond the men had formed with their mounts.

He took the ropes of the other three packhorses as the men took the herd to the paddocks. As he reined up inside the gate, Subedar Major Para’s office men were running unbidden to take charge of the packhorses. He ordered, “Take them to the Quartermasters store,” indicating the packs. Para said he would take care of the body of the Ghurkha casualty.

He gave Para a quick report of the action before walking Khan back to his stable. Hanga was outside, “I will unsaddle Khan, Colonel Sahib. Your bath is ready for you.”

David shook his head in amazement at how Hanga had managed to heat the water so fast. Nevertheless he was grateful as he lowered himself into the tub. An hour later, having removed a six-day growth of beard from his face and changed his clothes, he felt more relaxed. He sat in his rocking chair with a glass of whisky reviewing the day in his mind as Hanga cooked his dinner. He requested that Subedar Hagar report to him after he had breakfast.

When Hagar reported he was told to replace as many of the Martini Henrys with the Russian rifles as he had in store with twenty rounds of ammunition, saying it was a better weapon. In addition, have the valuables packed on a packhorse ready to leave in an hour as he intended to see the Prince.

He left on Sulkie. Since the packhorse was his old stallion they were able to maintain a fast trot. Peshawar was waiting as he rode up to the Palace and grooms took the horses while servants carried the packs. They left them in the room and departed, leaving David alone.

The Prince rushed in extending his hand, “David, how are you? I understand there has been a battle at the Pass.”

David frowned at how the Prince knew so fast. “Yes Sir, we engaged the Afghans twice in the last six days.”

The Prince now frowned. “Twice?” he repeated.

Then David began to explain how they had fought fifty-four Afghans in one engagement; all were killed except one who escaped, and they had captured fifty-one horses.

He pointed to one of the packs, “Those are the valuables we found on them.”

He then recounted the fights that had occurred yesterday in detail, saying they had killed sixty-one and captured fifty-eight horses in total. “That’s their valuables,” indicating the other pack. “We also captured ninety-eight Russian rifles and a large amount of ammunition for them. I have given orders for them to be issued to replace our current Martini Henrys.”

The Prince gave orders to a servant and the man returned carrying a decanter and two glasses. The Prince poured out the drinks, handing David one. He sat down again and took a sip, “I knew of one engagement through my brother-in-law the General. He came to see me two days ago demanding to know what army I had stationed at the Pass. I told him in no uncertain terms that it was none of his business. Then he made a fatal mistake by saying this army had attacked the Afghans and had caused numerous casualties. I then demanded how he could possibly know this. He tried to bluster that it was common knowledge in the streets.

“I had him placed under arrest. I had long known that he was in contact with the British and Afghans through my own agents. However, this was the proof I had been waiting for. Last night he escaped along with his family and five high-ranking Army officers with their families. They left the city heading for the border.

“But he didn’t know about the rifles did he Sir?” David asked, alarmed.

“No David, the only ones who have been out to the Fort are sworn to me. He knew we had been recruiting Ghurkhas, and the uniforms had changed, that is all.”

David considered the Prince’s remarks before putting forward his request. “I’d like to bring thirty of my Riflemen to the Palace to act as your personal guards Sir.”

“Why? Do you think it is necessary?”

“We can’t assume all the rats have left the ship.”

“But wouldn’t that show our suspicion?”

David thought for a moment, “Quite a few of my men have wives and families living in the city, mostly in poor accommodations. You could let it be known that they are here in the pretext of finding better homes for them, and the guard duty is a way of keeping them employed while they do so.”

The Prince nodded his head, “There is a barracks room here in the Palace. I could empty it on the pretext of conducting an inquiry on how the General escaped.”

David smiled “I’ll have the men here tomorrow Sir. One other thing Sir. Could Ashar Khan or his sons come out to the Fort and take the captured horses off our hands? We don’t have sufficient feed for them and our horses.”

The Prince gave instructions to a servant and ten minutes later Ashar Khan himself appeared.

David explained the problem and Ashar Khan said he himself would come, and bring more oats and fodder, “It will give me an opportunity to see my children.”

David returned to the Fort and asked for Subedar Major Para to report to him. Once inside his office and sitting down opposite David he was told what had happened at the Palace and the plan to have thirty men guard the Prince. He was told of the excuse about the married men.

Para said he thought there were 18 married men who were not in his staff and available, but he would check. David emphasised that the chosen thirty must be good dependable Riflemen able to use their own judgment. A Havildar would be in charge of the detail with what Naik’s Para thought fit.

The detail would assemble in the mess hall immediately after breakfast and be armed with the Russian rifles. Para said he would have a list made out by last post. Hanga had the currycomb on Sulkie when David returned to his quarters.

“The Horse Master is coming tomorrow to check up on these two Hanga, so make a good job of it.”

Hanga grinned, “They will gleam like new rupees, Colonel Sahib.”

He found Subedar Sultar waiting for him outside of his office. He asked David if he would tell him about the engagement at the Pass. David told him to come in and take a chair. He told him in detail, from the moment they were told of the Afghans approach, the positions taken, and the ensuing battle, and finally the clean up afterwards. David knew the young Subedar needed to know these facts, as he may have to face a similar situation himself.

Sultar remained silent at the end of David’s explanation, thinking and finally asking, “Is there anything the Colonel Sahib would have done differently?”

“No, the only thing that could have been improved was in the manner of the warning we had. A lookout had to scramble down the path to inform us. That was dangerous for the lookout in case he fell and also the time lost in giving the message.

“Perhaps it would have been better if a written message had been attached to the rock cord. But then the lookout would have to know how to write.”

Sultar listened intently to what David was saying. “Some of my men know how to write a little, as do I. I will ensure one of them always takes the lookout duty. It may be better to use a tin can to lower the message, and if a few pebbles were in it, it would gave a warning.”

“That’s an excellent idea Subedar. You can draw a notebook and pencils from the stores”

“Colonel Sahib it is a pity we do not have someone to teach writing to all the Riflemen.”

David nodded his head in agreement, thinking he would raise it up with Para. David spotted the blacksmith looking at the horses further down at the main paddock, and went over to him.

“The Horse Master arrives tomorrow to take most of them away Jalap.”

“How many does the Colonel Sahib wish to keep?”

“I’d like to hold on to fifty of them for the next troop, but the blood stock the Horse Master will need.”

Jalap nodded, “Does the Colonel Sahib wish me to select them for him?”

“Please Jalap, I will send men to assist you if you can put them in the smaller paddock.”

“Very well Colonel Sahib,” he replied scanning the horses more intently now.

David sent five men to help Jalap when he returned inside the Fort. He stopped at the stable, remembering due to the paddocks being full his special ones had not been out. Both vied for his attention, their coats gleaming, pushing their heads against his chest.

“All right my lovelies, one at a time,” he said chuckling. Hanga came out from his kitchen giving him two apples.

He fed the apples to them, “Your father arrives tomorrow. I hope you’ll be on your best behaviour.”

The list for the city detail was on his desk when he sat down and he checked the names against the muster roster. Havildar Talaq was forty-nine, married with four children, and had served twenty years in the British Army. There were two Naik’s, both in their forties, one of which was married with children. Looking down the list he realised that all were either in the forties or in late thirties. All had served in the British Army. In all there were twenty-one who were married.

Last Post rang out as he left his office. The men were sitting down when he entered the mass hall. He noticed the Russian rifles stacked by the wall. He explained that several senior officers including the General had been in league with the Afghans. These men had now fled from Kanda but there may be sympathisers still at large in the Palace or city. Their orders were to guard the Prince and his family. Two Riflemen were to be with him where ever he went. Anyone wishing to see him must be searched for weapons before entering the room. Food must be tested before he or his family ate it. Peshawar is a trusted servant who would see to that.

They must be on constant guard of anyone, male or female. He would leave it up to Havildar Talaq to organise the guard roster. On no account were they to discuss anything about the Fort or the new rifles, which even included their wives. Finally, he said they would be issued the Russian rifles, explaining they were superior to the Martini Henry. He took one and showed them how to load it and how to engage the safety catch and issued them out, allowing the men to practice. “You will be assisting the Horse Master to herd horses back to the city when you depart. Go now to the paddock and select your horse. Jalap the blacksmith will tell you which.”

He asked Havildar Talaq to remain behind as the men filed out. “Havildar Talaq I am depending on you to keep the Royal family safe. You can trust the Horse Master. If you have any concerns or require help, inform him and he will send a rider to the Fort.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.