The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 10

The next morning after his wash and shave David affixed Colonels rank to the shoulder straps of his new uniform before putting it on. After his breakfast Havildar Major Para reported to him for the approval of his standing orders. He had broken the command down into three groups, two groups of twenty would be either be horse training or on the rifle range, forty-five would be on building duty, and twelve on guard duty. His plan was to rotate the groups each day. David approved and signed, but added that he would like to address the entire command before dinner that night.

He picked up two apples from the stock Ashar Khan had left and walked around to the paddocks. Patar and Taraq had the twenty Ghurkhas already mounted and walking around the paddock and then he realised that they had started with this group yesterday.

He moved on down to the small split paddock. Khan moved to the far end of it when he saw him, but Sulkie followed him with her head, not moving. He stopped at the intersection of the two paddocks and just stood there. Khan stood pawing the ground his nostrils flared but Sulkie turned her body to face him. He took the apples out of his pocket and pushed his arms through the bars, one arm in each paddock with an apple offered. Then just standing silently watching, he knew the horses had seen them. Minutes passed then Sulkie took a step forward and stopped.

“Sulkie my pretty girl, do you want an apple?” he said softly. She looked at him and took another step forward. “Come on girl,” he encouraged. She moved and stopping four feet from him she lifted her head and he could see her nostrils flaring. She is smelling me, he realised. After a while with him talking to her she took another step, lowered her head, and slowly took the apple but she didn’t bolt away this time, just stepped back.

“That’s a good clever girl,” he murmured. Then he noticed Khan who had moved silently across the paddock to stand twelve feet away with his head over the rail watching them.

He returned as the men were finishing for the day making their way back to the Fort. This time when he offered the apples Khan moved to the dividing fence but stopped six feet away again to watch. However, Sulkie seemed more confident, slowly walking towards him as he talked to her. When she took the apple she stood chewing it with her eyes on him all the time.

It took a week before Khan would take an apple and by that time Sulkie would allow him to rub her velvet-like muzzle. She would trot over to the intersection as soon as he came into view. By that time the brothers had the Ghurkhas riding in formation across country. He had found time to zero in his own rifle to the point that he could place five bullets in a four-inch group at 500 yards.

He had informed the troop of their new pay and benefits to loud cheers. Havildar Major Para had control of the cash box, for which he kept scrupulous account records. The Havildar cook would use the mule and cart to visit the city two or three times a week to buy food. As a consequence the food had greatly improved for the men.

A flagpole had been erected in the centre of the parade ground from which the unit flag flew; Lovet green with the legend “1st Khana Rifles” and a kukri crossed with a rifle as the motif. Smaller versions of the flag were appearing on the shoulders of their jackets as supplies arrived. The first shipment of hats had arrived, and went to the men who achieved the highest score on the rifle range. The work on the Fort gained pace, new quarters were being added, and the old wall on the west torn down and a new one fifty feet further away built.

But despite the constant work load David found time to visit his horses in the morning and in the evening. Stables for them were being built inside the fort near his room.

Twenty new recruits had arrived, six from the Ghurkha Rifles. Havildar Turin had said it was rumoured amongst the regiment that they would be shipped overseas and this may be why they had not re-enlisted.

At the start of the second week Patar and Taraq came to see him. “Colonel Sahib, it is time for us to return these horses and bring out the mounts your men will use. How many will you need?”

“Thank you for the work you and your brother have done. It is remarkable how quickly you have shown the men how to ride. As to how many horses I need now, fifty is the number I would like to have, but it depends on how many saddles have been made. Is it possible to leave five horses behind for the new men to train on who have just joined us?”

“Colonel Sahib your men are very fast learners and are not afraid. We shall bring, as many horses as there are saddles to go on them, and leave the horses you require to train with. We shall also be bringing with us more food for the horses. Will the Colonel Sahib have rooms to put it in?”

“We shall find room, Patar.” He shook hands with them both and wished them safe journey.

He discussed this point with Havildar Major Para and he replied he would attend to it. Whenever he crossed the parade ground now he would receive sharp salutes from the men which he always returned. The men were coming together as a unit he knew. So far there had been no reported incidents from the Pass, but he felt it was only the lull before the storm.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.