The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 9

After breakfast a detail of twelve men with a Naik in command went out with a cart containing building materials to start work on the rifle range.

David was in his new office writing out the points he wished to raise with the Prince, when he was informed a caravan was approaching from the city.

By the time he had finished his notes and started to walk to the paddocks, he found the tailor with his wagon by the gate.

Spotting Havildar Turin he ordered him to bring out the men inside the barracks and issue out the new uniforms. Telling the tailor he would wish to speak with him later.

By the time he reached the paddocks he found one of them all ready containing twenty horses. He walked on to where Ashar Khan sat upon a magnificent bay mare alongside what could only be his eldest son Patar on an equally magnificent grey stallion. Behind them where five large wagons three of them piled high with fodder.

David stopped and bowed his head. “Horse Master, welcome,” he said giving him the respect his position deserved.

Ashar Khan smiled and they both dismounted. “Colonel Sahib it is good to see you again. I have brought my most docile animals to carry out your training. Later when it is done you shall have better horses.”

“Can I offer you and your son refreshment, after your long ride?” David asked.

“That would be most welcome, but first I must see to my children,” he turned and gave out a command to some one behind the fodder wagons. And two men appeared leading two horses. David’s eyes widened at the sight of them. One was a chestnut stallion over sixteen hands high, its chest and withers spoke of strength whilst its bright eyes showed intelligence. The grey mare being led by the other man was slightly smaller but still showing the same characteristics of the stallion but with a more pronounced Arab look to its head.

They were put into the smaller paddock, which had been dived in two, one in each section.

David turned to Ashar Khan. “I have never seen more magnificent animals,” he gasped.

Ashar Khan chuckled, “The stallion is called Khan and the mare Sulkie. They are the cream of the Princes stables and neither has ever had a saddle on them. But as I warned you, they must pick who rides them.” He gave out further instructions to the men in the wagons then he and his son followed David into the fort.

They sat inside his room drinking lemon juice; Patar had gone to join his brothers for a meal in the mess hall.

“So Horse Master how should I go about winning their trust,” he asked.

Ashar Khan smiled, “You must get them to love you, and for that you will need patience, a great deal of patience. But you will be rewarded for it. It is easy to break a horse to your will, but you will never truly have its love, and so you will never have the best it has to offer.

“Sulkie has a loving nature and you will find she responds to you the first. Khan is arrogant and full of pride, as is his right, as the king of his line. But he will become curious when he sees Sulkie getting more attention than him. Colonel Sahib you will need to let them get to know you, your sight and smell. You must try to find time to feed and water them, and each evening offer them an apple, I have brought some for you.

By the time they returned to the paddocks, Ashar Khan’s men had placed water troughs in the paddocks and forage for the horses.

Ashar Khan sent the men off to get their meals saying when they returned they would unload the wagons in the fort. “I have brought grain as well as fodder and the saddles. My sons will instruct your men in the welfare of the animals.” They moved to the paddocks that Khan and Sulkie were in; Khan was snorting and pawing the ground whilst Sulkie merely chewed on her fodder.

“He is not used to being penned up Sahib and is showing his displeasure,” Ashar Khan chuckled. He gave a low whistle. “Sulkie my dove, here.” Sulkie turned from the fodder and slowly walked over towards them, stopping about six feet from the paddock bars. “She smells you Sahib,” he whispered. He reached into his robe and brought out an apple handing it to David. “Hold out your hand with it Sahib.” Sulkie saw the apple her ears standing up but hesitated pawing the ground.

“Talk to her Sahib, she is a woman and loves praise.”

“Sulkie my pretty, do you want this apple, come take it.”

Sulkie advanced a step and stopped tossing her head. It took nearly an hour before she took the apple from his hand and then bolted away with it.

“Observe Khan Sahib.” David looked to see Khan standing ten feet away by the dividing rails looking at them.

The unloaded wagons were returning from the Fort as they made their way back.

He noticed the men in their new uniforms looking happy with them as they passed. He excused himself from Ashar Khan and went over to see the tailor who was distributing the last of the uniforms.

Taking him on one side, he explained he wanted a further order of the same numbers, plus two sets to fit him. He asked if he could produce hats like his own.

The tailor said he had a brother who could make them after examining David’s. Finally David said he needed a flag making, he told him the colour and drew in his notebook the motif he wanted on it, also the same motif as a patch that could be sewn onto the arm of the jackets and he would need four hundred of them.

The tailor said it may take a little time for such a big order.

So he was told to bring out when he had a hundred ready. He told him he was going the city the next day and would call in at his shop to pay him.

The tailor took out his tape measure and measured him up saying his suits would be ready when he called.

He found the Havildar Major in the company office sewing on his stripes and crown.

“How do you like the new uniform,” he asked.

His face broke out into a wide smile, “This is a soldiers uniform Sahib, not the woman’s uniform we had.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.