The Tides of War - Cover

The Tides of War

Copyright© 2019 by Robin Lane

Chapter 6

Back in London David wrote a long letter to the Prince outlining his progress to date and the hope that he would be returning by June.

With nothing to do but wait, David took the opportunity to explore London, visiting the Tower of London and the Science Museums. He added to his book collection on histories of the American Civil War, the Indian and Afghan Wars, Gordon’s Massacre as well as books describing the people of those countries. He bought up to date maps on the North-West Frontier and spent long hours studying them.

Since leaving the Prince, David had, had hardly any time to think beyond the task assigned to him. Speed had been foremost in his mind. But these last few weeks had given him time to realise the magnitude of the job the Prince envisaged he was to undertake ... to train a modern army unit. He began to think on how best that could be accomplished.

Nearly four weeks after returning to London he had a visitor in the form of Henry.

He came into his room carrying a fine leather rifle case.

After greeting him and giving him a malt scotch, Henry opened the case. “Your rifle is ready,” he said with a smile.

The wood furniture of the rifle was made from walnut with a rich grain showing through its waxed finish. When he picked it out of the case he saw it had a hatched pistol grip with an ebony end cap, and cheek rest.

Fitting it to his shoulder he realised the balance was perfect.

“Henry it’s beautiful,” he enthused.

Henry chuckled, “Mr Jenkins kicked up a fuss about the time he was allowed to make it in. Fortunately the metal components were already in production, but he selected each component individually checking them with his micrometre to make sure each was a perfect fit. He took umbrage when I told him it didn’t need engraving. He actually carried out the test firing himself. “You may not have noticed but the box magazine is slightly wider than the test model. Peter came up with the idea; the bullets can be stacked staggered inside to allow ten rounds to be loaded now. We have had to strengthen the spring inside to allow for that.

“He’s working on an idea to have them carried in five round clips and loaded directly into the breach from them. The only problem we have is finding a suitable bayonet; we may have too design one ourselves.”

David assured him that was not a problem and shouldn’t delay the order saying if it did come to close quarters, the Ghurkhas would rather use their Kukris.

“Henry I don’t know what to say, you have really been most helpful in this matter,” David confessed.

“To be perfectly honest with you David, I did have an ulterior motive. It’s only a matter of time before the idiots at the War Office realise that the future of modern weapons is magazine fed smokeless rifles. You have given us an opportunity to get a head start on the game. We should be well-placed to submit our rifle, when they start evaluating them.”

David insisted that Henry dine with him that evening in the hotel. During the meal he told Henry to submit the invoices for the rest of the order to a Mr Tompkins personally, the bank manager of the Prince’s bank, saying he would inform him of the arrangements. He also checked with Henry that he had the address for the bill of loading, Smithers & Smithers Import Export Karachi.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.