Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 16: Gone Fishing

Har-Hi never cared much for sitting. When Battlestations was sounded, he could find his seat in a second. Standing was not really a Dai specific habit, as there were seats in Dai Command rooms (Dai did not call it bridge), it was more a personal habit than anything else.

The ship was sitting on a Duro-Crete pad and underwater on a Thauran world called Deep Blue. The main viewer was raised and thus allowed a direct view into the bluish surroundings. Fish like creatures of various sizes did dart into view every now and then.

Not far from the landing pad was the mostly transparent dome of Fathom-Dwell, the biggest of the three cities on this world. All of them under the surface of the planet-spanning ocean.

There was an above water landing platform, but it was not big enough to hold more than one space ship of Tigershark size.

Shea, Narth and several others of the crew had left the ship and used a Landing Tank, just like a submarine to pinpoint the exact location of these mysterious pressure manipulator things.

The captain had just left the ship to meet with the planet manager.

She had taken a Thauran science ensign with her.

While the Ypeherix problem was the official and prime reason for the Tigershark’s presence, there was a Thauran mystery that involved the mother of that Ensign that was the other reason.

Elfi said.”Incoming transmission from Engine 444, Sir.”

Har-Hi turned to move more into the center of the bridge, as the main viewer lowered and displayed the logo of the Union Fire Department.

He gave Elfi a nod and tugged his Uniform top. The logo was replaced by an apparently quite tall human male that looked as if he just stepped out of a hero virtu show. He was wearing the dark blue, red accented uniform of his service. Even for a society with Auto Dressers and being used to perfect uniforms and appearances, this man somehow took it to another level of immaculate perfection.

“Good Sixth hour, Citizen.” The man said, “I am Batallion Chief Michael Englyst of the 12th section Region 19. I am sorry for the delay in our arrival, but this section does not have its own firehouse yet.”

“I am surprised about your quick arrival.” Har-Hi responded.”I am Lt.Commander Hi of the USS Tigershark. I must confess I know little about the Fire Department or what the word Fire represents in regard to the service you represent.”

The immaculate Batallion Chief had an open face and said.”It is certainly confusing to many, especially to a Dai who never had planets and dwellings that could burn. It is a distinct Terran term I think and confused the Ult to no end, but it is what our service has been called for 1500 years.”

He pointed at the logo emblem on his left sleeve.”Even our logo features a Terran tool called a fire ax, something no one really associates with anything nowadays. Maybe emergency management and civil defense would be less confusing.”

“That explains it then,” Har-Hi said and continued.”You know why you are here?”

“Not in great detail. We received a briefing only a few weeks ago, regarding these Ypeherix devices and it raised more questions than answers, My orders are to assist you guys. Learn as much as possible about these things and develop new response methods geared towards that menace.”

A Klack also wearing the uniform of a Union Fire Fighter, stepped into view.”I am Captain K’Tikku of the 444. We did receive a brand new piece of equipment that has been put together in great haste for this mission. It’s called a Crust Diver and we hope it will be useful.”

“I am sure it will. I have you patched through to our Chief Science Officer right away.”

The firefighters thanked him and Elfi affected the comm link transfer.

Har-Hi wanted to sit down to access a field screen and learn more about the Union Fire Department when he stopped in mid-move.”Mr. Meeze, this is the Command chair!”

“Sooz? Captinz lefz anz zee saiz to Meeze finz an empty seatz. Youze noz uzing iz.”

The worm wiggled his body.”Meeze likez zis.”

--””--

The city under the transparent dome was as modern and clean as any Union city. According to the information, I had consumed before stepping onto the slide belt inside the flex tunnel attached to our side airlock, this city was home to about 500,000 inhabitants. The belt had carried me and the Thauran ensign across the submerged landing field and past the dome rim. Where we were checked by Spaceport authority security. This place was not a military installation and we were subject to all regulations.

The checks were professional and efficient. That everyone we encountered was Thaurans, actually no surprise as this was a Thauran world. What did surprise me was the lack of the famous Thauran attitude so far.

The customs officer was polite and scanned both my CITI and MITI and then looked at a readout and said. “Hygiene scans complete, Captain Olafson. No harmful organisms detected. You and Ensign Sobur are cleared for entry.”

I thanked the officer and said.”Would you be able to direct me to the Planet Manager’s office?”

“Most certainly, Ma’am but his excellency Maro Maresan is waiting for you behind the security barriers, I am sure he will have transportation arranged.”

Again I was pleasantly surprised about the professional friendliness of the Thauran customs officer. Sylia Sobur, the science ensign who despite all my efforts to make her feel comfortable seemingly intimidated by me, apparently guessed my thoughts and said. “These are commoners, captain. They do not belong to a noble family. It makes all the difference.”

I acknowledged her with a nod but had to direct my attention to the middle-aged Thauran with an apparent slight overweight system. The man wore an elaborately embroidered suit and was accompanied by five very official looking individuals, three men, and two females.

He stepped forward as we passed through the security barrier.”Welcome to Fathom-Dwell and Deep Blue, Captain Olafson. I am Maro Maresan.”

I was in uniform represented the fleet, and I knew he was a retired fleet officer, I saluted him and returned his greeting in a crisp military way.”Thank you, your Excellency.”

He pointed at his entourage.”These are department administrators we are very concerned about that infestation.”

One of the men, who had exactly the facial expression and the attitude I expected.

“You will immediately brief us, female. This is not some worthless Union world but a Thauran one. After that, I expect you to go back and do whatever the Fire Department tells you, understood?”

The baron’s son made an apologetic face towards me and said to that man. “You disrespect a Union Fleet officer one more time and you go swimming without a suit.”

The man huffed.”Your Excellency, she is not Thauran. She must...”

“And I was not kidding, Duke Merber. Remove yourself and prepare to be transferred, one more word and you will find out just how serious I am.”

The man snorted, was however not brave enough to find out and left.

The planet governor said with a sad smile.”I am so sorry, Captain. I am trying hard to stomp out that old crusted obnoxious behavior I myself was guilty off before I joined the Union Navy.”

“A few years ago, I would have been offended, your Excellency but I too made mistakes and pre-judged people.”

He motioned to an open indoor flyer and said.”You and the Ensign are of course guests of honor. I ordered a banquet and official reception.”

“Sir that is hardly necessary. I just came to inform you about our mission and then ask a few questions on behalf of my science officer, Ensign Sobur.”

“But of course it is necessary, dear Captain Olafson. It is the first time since this planet was colonized, that a vessel of the Union Fleet has made planetfall. It will serve well, reminding everyone that we are indeed not just Thauran, but Union.”

--””--

Lumis was right behind Ciferus as they stepped through the Nexus portal with the intention to reach a world called Sin 4.

Both of them stepped out of the portal field. This nexus chamber looked just like any other nexus chamber, semi-spherical with a trans-spatial portal field generator in its center. The chamber was part of a natural cave.

Both of them stepped outside and immediately noticed the signs of a fight. Lots of displaced debris and partial molten and now solidified rock.

The plane they were on showed no sign of life. There was an old tired red sun in the sky.

It was bitter cold.

Lumis said.”This is Sin 4?”

Ciferus rubbed his chin.”No this is not Sin 4. We should have emerged deep underground and the planet is full of life and activity. We are not even in the right Star Spiral.”

“Why have you brought us here? Let us go back and find the right Nexus point.”

Just as he said it, he noticed the gauntlet and the tattered cape. The gauntlet and the cape were those of a light knight, it was the mantle of Zophim. Even partially covered by rubble, he instantly recognized the distinct seal on the cape,

He forgot about Ciferus and started to dig. He threw boulders and rocks weighing many tons effortless aside and sure enough he uncovered the mostly naked and dried our cadaver of one of his most formidable and favorite knights. This was indeed the remains of Zophim, someone had driven something sharp right through the eyeslit of Zophim’s helmet, through the skull of his friend and out the back.

As much as he was searching he could not find the rest of the armor or the sword.”

Only now did he remember being in the company of Ciferus.

The Nether world ruler stood by the cave entrance.”The Nexus on planet Sin 4 cannot be reached. What is deemed impossible has apparently occurred. Someone or something has shut down that Nexus point.” Ciferus jumped on a larger boulder and assumed a crouching position, resting his underarms on his knees.”Friend of yours?”

“These are the remains of my beloved Zophim, a stalwart and bastion of strength and righteousness among the Knights of Light. He was an immortal and yet someone ended his life.”

Ciferus looked around, he didn’t go without a fight.

Lumis wondered why the old Nexus network was bringing them here, instead of the desired location. While his associate claimed the actual destination was blocked somehow, he still wondered why they were transported to this place. A place where one of his knights was slain.

Could the entity that did the foul deed be still near?

Lumnis noticed that Ciferus had the same thoughts. The Nether World ruler scanned the lifeless landscape, while his voice was not as confident as usual.”What chance brought us here, I do not know, but it might still be here.”

Neither one of them could detect anything, yet a human female figure shrouded in a dark green cape with the hood drawn deep stepped from around a concealing and sizeable boulder.

“No, the hero that slew one of thy arrogant servants is no longer here.”

Lumis lashed out, threw a bolt of energy right at the hooded woman, but all he did was split the boulder behind her, she still stood there unaffected, a projection of some kind.

The woman seemed amused.”Ah yes, that was expected.”

“Who are you?” Asked Ciferus.

“I am known as Verðandi.”

“Did you slay my knight?” Lumis asked.

“Your mighty knight was slain by a mere mortal. Not that the word mere really applies, the warrior that slew that arrogant extension of yourself did so by great courage and disregard to his own safety.”

“A mortal? You lie! No mere mortal can overcome a champion of mine!”

“Yet here e lies, with a pierced skull. Oh, Lumis you are so blind. Your mistress stole from us and your other servant did not listen.”

Ciferus nodded.”Of course, you are one of the Norns, entities of the Spirit of the Universe. It was you who guarded, perhaps even created the WEAPON. It was Crea who stole it, is that not so?”

“Yes, Ciferus it is. I too seek the WEAPON, but not for the reasons you do. It must be returned. I wanted you to see this. I want to warn you as this is my task since everything began.”

Lumis crossed his arms.”Then go back old hag. Let true Gods take care of this. It is apparent that Crea had no problem to take from you what she wanted.”

This time the wpman laughed.”You are not a God, little Lumis. If your Crea would be all that you want her to be, why did she not hold onto what she stole? Why is she relying on you of all beings to confront someone who will be a god by all definitions known?”

Ciferus jumped down from his perch.”What are you saying, Norn? We will find the WEAPON and slay the Dark One again.”

“The Dark One was not slain the first time. He was ambushed by a host of entities so much more potent than you. You know what occured.”

Ciferus nodded.”Indeed I do, it is a spark of hope that this WEAPON can postpone or prevent what I fear will occur. This fool I am with is ignorant but he is not impotent.”

“I amn Verðandi and my task is to warn and thus I fulfill my task. Proceed to that Star Spiral and enter the realm that is known as the Union, and know that it was a mortal warrior of that Union that slew your knight.”

“The passage is blocked,” Ciferus said.

“Go to another Nexus. The mountains of N’Ger conceal such a Nexus point.”

The woman faded into a whisp pf vapor that disipated fast.

Ciferus and Lumius used the Nexus as suggested.

--””--

We had taken a short flier ride to a central positioned building where I was told we would have a meeting with the local news people and an official reception. This was certainly a departure from our previous missions. The planet governor had taken us to a plush lounge and we were offered drinks.

I decided to test the waters so to speak. My companion Sylia was the actual reason I decided to come here. That we found Ypeherix things was not completey unexpected of course.

“Your Excellency, I have a rather unusula question that has nothing to do with the Ypeherix situation.”

He turned fully towards me.”Don’t stop there, Captain. Just ask your quesdtion.”

“Wellk it concerns Ensign Sobur’s mother. She was declared dead several years ago, yet a recent GalNet message of her mother originated from here.”

I was not a telepath, but I was certain the planet governors face was an open question mark, making me almost certain he never heard of this before.

I encouraged Sylia to tell her story and I provided the man with a copy of the actual message.

He had found a seat and watched the recording twice and then he said.”It certainly seems to be a strange mystery. I am Thauran by birth, I am of an old noble family but I am also a Union Citizen and even though I am retired now, I am still an officer.” He paused and looked at Sylia.”There is still a lot of the very old Thauran buried deep into our society.

The rightful exposure of that crook we had as an emperor and the fall of several houses, cleansed much but I am affraid not everything.”

The Baron’s son tugged at his pant legs as he got up and extended his hand to her.”I am a Ubion citizen first, forget about the noble titles. I am Maro, and you have my full support in this. I too want to know what this is all about.”

--””--

Baran had been a senior official in the planet administration for a very long time. He had been in charge when Maro Maresan was still too young to shave, He had been in charge when the son of Baron Mersen found it necessary to run off and play soldier in that Union Fleet, instead of consuming his duties as a Maresan. Baran was in charge of everything for over eighty years. It was not all that long ago when the old Baron, now well over a hundred years old welcomed his son and put him in charge over Deep Blue.

“Good old Baran,” He said.”I am sure you will be a valuable aid to my son.”

An aid! After so many years, an aide!

He stood in the background, displaying a benelovent smile and watched. Sarak Sobur his true master, a man officially declared dead predicted the Tigershark would come, but now that she was here, what was the next step?

There was no information regarding the ship’s capabilities. Only a few Thaurans he knew about that remained in the Union fleet were willing to share classified information.

Tamara Taros had shared personnel information, information she obtained while she was the security chief of Christmas Base, but she had no access to technical information regarding the ship that was now sitting outside the city. It was listed as a long-range shuttle of all things, but even a five-year-old pre-schooler seeing that ship knew this was not a shuttle.

Baran and his superior did not really believe the personnel records anyway. They were as phony and false as the long range shuttle designation for what had landed.

The princess of the Saran empire was the first clue in his opinion regarding that. Even to Thauran nobles, the Saran aristocrats were far beyond mere commoners and in terms of power and influence beyond even Rene Thauran and all Thauran emperors. Such a princess would never serve as a mere communbications officer, what a ridiculous idea.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.