Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 15: Dark Horizons

The place was called Shanties Swallow and it was not far from the main landing field of the Class E Spaceport of Shale Blue.

Shale Blue was technically a Union world at the furthermost fringes of the Thauran Empire in the Spinward sector of the M-0 galaxy, but it was indeed a fringe world.

The Thauran noble family that controlled the world, the Peribar resided on a world twelve light years distant. Pulam Peribar, the third son of Baron Persor of Peribar was the man in charge, but that was more a joke than anything else. Pulam loved Thauran wine and had no interest in getting help from the Union clinic.

He carefully maintained a state of perpetual drunkenness and combined this with extensive naps.

That was of little consequence to the patrons of the Shanties Swallow, or pretty much anyone else ob Shale Blue.

The entire population did not exceed two hundred heads and that included the twelve Terran Chicken, Galwun Gerorn kept.

Shale Blue was not a world that enticed colonization, not that environmental factors alone were reasons keeping Union colonists away, but the combination of the planets apparent lack of resources, the lackluster management and the rather aggressive, stinging insect population were most certainly main factors. That Shale Blue was not very close to anything, Union or even Thauran related was certainly also to be considered.

All that, however, did not affect the business of the Shanties Swallow tavern. It was a well-known hang out for spacers and privateers, that weren’t exactly high profile criminals but neither model citizens or very enthusiastic subjects of the Thauran Empire.

In terms of entertainment, the place didn’t feature much variety. There was a well worn Tabil Tosser in one corner and right next to a public GalNet terminal. A genuine billard table, something that every Thauran establishment of this sort simply had to have. Unlike the truly masterful players of this Thauran game that could be found on almost every Azure world of the Empire, the patrons of this place had neither the skills nor the interest.

The regular patrons did enjoy playing Poker or Knaku and there was always some gambling going on.

While neither ambiance nor the choices of entertainment were reasons of people coming here, one of the reasons was the food offered at Shanties. Despite the less than stellar hygiene conditions, the food was of the finest Thauran kind.

Another reason for people coming here was fuel, the ability to access Union GalNet, the Post Office, the Union Outpost Auto Med Cube and Regul’s Repairs.

Regul wasn’t the best engineer in terms of Union quality, but still far better than anything non-Union in this region. Regul was also able to order spare parts over GalNet and only added a modest profit margin.

The table underneath the Mahlman’s Beer advertisement lamp was occupied by seven beings. They all nursed drinks, except one who just received his order of Thauran Wine Wiggler Soup and Cheese and begun savoring the delicacy.

He rolled his eyes with delight as he ate the first forkful of the wine steamed worms. “I have to agree, sister. This place should be famous for its food. Those Wine Wigglers are simply divine.”

A Thauran woman having a glass of Thauran Chardonnay before her said.”Shanties Shallow is famous for its food, just not in the circles you and I used to frequent. For me, this will be the new norm.”

The Thauran digging into his meal took a moment between forks, dabbed his mouth with a napkin before reaching for his wine.”And if we fail, we might order this for our last meal. The new Thauran government and most Thaurans are even more committed to the Union than ever before.”

“I am aware of that, brother. Most but not all, there are those who lost much.”

“I’ve seen your research, and this is why I am here. Some things are more important than personal safety. Family honor and the old Thauran ways certainly count.”

She clenched her fist.”She killed father, that can not stand.”

“She did so much more.” Said another Thauran at the table.”When I meet Olafson, he was still male and he caused my father to be executed. He was an admiral and I was on my way to eventually become an admiral myself.”

“It was this Olafson, that caused me being drummed out of the Navy with the stain of a dishonorable discharge. I escaped civilian prosecution, but only because my father was arrested with many other Thauran nobles. The house of Suppor is virtually destroyed.”

The former Midshipman pounded his fist on the table.”I want him destroyed, not just killed. I want him to suffer as no one has suffered before.”

The man speaking now was not Thauran. Even though he was hiding much of himself under a hood, the paperwhite skin of the exposed skin and the short stature made it obvious he was Kermac.

“For a numbskull of an apparently insignificant planet, that individual has caused us Kermac much headaches and troubles. He was supposed to become bait for a Narth, and we spend considerable resources to have him abducted. We deemed him dead, perished on Sin 4. Yet he surfaced again on Union side and while we could not find out where he was after he played hero on Outpost 96. He has surfaced as a female and commanding a spaceship, according to the information we got from you, Tamara Taros.”

She did not smile as she knew she betrayed more than just an individual, but everything. “I gave you the complete crew list of that ship, the Narth is still there.”

“And there is Xon, the Nul prince, several Y’All. A Saran princess, a genuine Seenian CMO and many more very unusual individuals. This list is perhaps the most significant piece of intelligence we Kermac were able to obtain.”

The man who was now done eating said.”And the daughter of Salia Sobur who is Tellia Thauran.”

A Thauran who had not yet spoken said.”I went to great length to abduct my mother and two of my siblings, but they do not have the key of Rene. My sister was always out of reach being with the fleet and all. She is the last one of my family I haven’t been able to question. As you requested, I sent that GalNet message, but what makes you think she will not only come but bring you that Olafson?”

The former Security chief displayed a cold grin.”Because she will run to her captain, and my research and that of my father revealed one strange aspect of that gender changed captain, she goes out of her way to help her crew. That Captain Olafson will even disregard orders if it comes to her friends.”

“And she is friends with a lowly Ensign who is Thauran?” The Kermac asked.

Swybin snorted.”If that Erica is Eric, of which I have no doubt, then I wager she is already on her way. Even at basic training, he went out of his way to help his friends.”

Namamir agreed.”It was the same on the Devastator. His group was called the Olafson Gang and the way they stuck together was unreal.”

The sixth and last person on the table was an older looking Saresii. Silver hair, female appearance and yet, in this case, even an uninitiated observer would have seen the male features in that face. The Saresii wore a dark blue Bio-seal suit which was a good idea on this world joined the conversation without revealing who she was.”There has been an attempt to place a spy inside the Tigershark crew, but that has been unsuccessful. However, I can confirm that uncanny dedication of that crew to this captain.”

--””--

I stepped out of the I.S.T. and onto the bridge, it was three minutes to the change of the watch. The officers and crew members of the Morning watch were ready to be relieved by the Forenoon watch. This was one of those Union Navy traditions I really liked. Things aboard Union ships were done a certain way regardless of what kind of ship it was or where it might be.

The Union Time reform was finally taking hold in most aspects of Union society, but terminology regarding time aboard Union Fleet ships was still the same as it was when the first Union ships left for their missions almost 3000 years ago.

While there was no physical bell on most Union ships and neither on the Tigershark, the crisp ringing sound of a brass bell was sounded at the top of the hour.

The bell sound now announced 0800 hours and the end of Morning watch. Roghor our magnificent looking Togar had stepped down from the command seat, as he had held the Conn.

He spoke with a loud voice that had a distinct hint of pride.”Oh-eight hundred hours. Duty stations prepare for hand over procedures.”

This was exactly as regulations dictated these procedures and while I never openly insisted on these regulations to be observed, it had become one of those special Tigershark traditions. Mainly because we often acted undercover and little things like that reminded us that we were a Union ship.

With me were my senior officers and each of them proceeded to their stations, exchanged the formulaic hand over procedures, which included a short report regarding the current situation.

Roghor did not salute me, as this was not done on the bridge of a Union ship, despite an official regulation. There was an unwritten one that was observed on almost all ships, as far as I knew.

Roghor, had completely recovered from the horrible torture he had to endure, not so long ago. There were quite a few spots of fur that did not have the same level of color and pigmentation as the rest of his fur. The Derma patcher and tissue regrow procedures of medical never considered pigmentation, mainly because it was something that equalized on its own after a while.

But while the spots of treatment and restoration were still visible, it hinted at the terrible ordeal he had to endure.

I could clearly feel that the torture and that experience somehow even deepened his commitment and loyalty to the fleet and of course to the Tigershark. “Morning watch standing down, Captain. There are no unknown contacts on the scanner horizon. We are on course and our estimated time of arrival at Karana star and Deep Blue remains 10:23 hours at current speed. Ship and crew report all green.”

“Thank you Mr.Roghor. I suggest you proceed straight to the Den, Mr.Eeryt has bacon on the morning buffet.”

He growled an exciting sound and short of running, hurried to the left I.S.T.”Thank you, Captain.” He added to his growl and left.

I saw Alice speaking with Shaka and said as she was about to leave too.”So how was your first bridge shift?”

She did not maintain her usual sad expression, but smiled ear to ear.”It was awesome, Captain. Thanks for allowing me to do that, while I am just a Midshipman.”

“It’s not the rank, Ms. Enigma but talent, eagerness and your commitment to duty that made me agree with Mr. Ndebele’s recommendation.”

Har-Hi said.”This is not just a Tigershark thing, Midshipman. Admiral Stahl made Midshipman Olafson acting captain of the Devastator.”

“Really? Awesome!”

I grinned.”You might find yourself holding the Conn at one of these days.”

After this little exchange, I sat down in my Command chair and sighed.”I never thought I would ever want to visit a Thauran world and yet here we are on our way to Deep Blue and on my orders.”

Har-Hi in his usual pose, with crossed arms standing rather than sitting, turned his head to look at me from the side.”Indeed your orders, but we might as well check out the Thauran worlds in this region, they could very well be infected with those lava egg things”

Narth agreed.”The probability finding the presence of Ypeherix pressure manipulators inside Deep Blue is at least 76 percent if not 77 percent, based on the observed dispersion pattern and the age of these devices.”

“I probably should not ask, but out of curiosity, what part of your calculation makes a one percent difference?”

Narth did not lose a second to answer.”There are two factors that are more variable due to the quality of the sources. The number of known affected worlds, the number of potential affected...”

I interrupted.”And I should listen to my own advice. However, the probability is certainly high enough for us to use this as justification to come here.”

Shea added to the conversation.”Did you not already justify this in the log book?”

“Well yes, but the more I am thinking about Sylia’s story the more I feel there is something really fishy going on.”

I could not see Hans, as his station was behind me. He said.”I feel the same way, Captain and I did a little digging. “Sylia’s father was not implicated dealing with the Worm, but the House of Sobur is considered a very influential family, a very dangerous family too.”

“What do you mean by dangerous?”

“That’s not as easy to answer, as there are no official sources that explain this further. However, I spoke with several Union Police contacts and they all said that Thaurans start to button up and stop talking when this family is mentioned. The only comments you might hear after that is a warning that the Sobur’s are dangerous.”

He paused for a moment, I was sure he was reading something, He then continued.”I just got a report from SHERLOCK, the Union Police AI and filed by a Union Police detective named Phil Decker, suspecting the Soburs to be supporters of the Necros.”

Since there was lots of time till we would drop out of Quasi and there was not much going on that required my attention, I got up and walked up to the ramp, past the Nav Tank and approached Hans. “Can you elaborate?”

“He is virtually unknown by the average Union Citizen, but to every policeman and LEO he is a legend just as Stahl. I bet you never heard of Decker, but he is an immortal too.”

“No, I admit I never heard of Decker of him being an immortal. However I was asking about those Necros, what are they?”

“Oh sorry, Captain.” Hans looked embarrassed and then explained.”I am not too familiar with them, I am however uploading more detailed information. As far as understand, it is a sect or cult that worships death. They are known throughout the Galaxy. Legends and unverified sources claim that this cult is led by an immortal being with a god-like status known as the Necro King.”

I didn’t interrupt him and I noticed the rest of my bridge crew was listening too.

Hans kept reading from his display.”The cult has many forms, sub-cults, and names. It exists in almost all known spacefaring societies that have contact with the Galactic society pool. According to expert scholars familiar with the subject, the cult is much older than the Union and has been known to exist by the Saresii of the First Age of Knowledge.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.