Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)
Chapter 14: Thauran Tears

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The king had been an important person all his life, yet standing in the back of the alien ships bridge e felt very small and insignificant.

There was a huge spider, a humanoid covered from head to toe in mirror-polished metal. A giant with only one eye and a host of other beings behind elegantly shaped consoles; and at the center on a raised seat sat the female he knew was the Captain. She managed to sit relaxed and yet there was no doubt in the king’s mind that she paid the greatest attention to everything.

A bald-headed human just reported.”The Cavaro are just as paranoid as the Skedrik, they didn’t even try to communicate. Missiles have been launched.”

Xon, hail them on all frequencies and Mao, show them that we are neither the Skedrik nor targets to be shot at and place a Giga load near their orbit.”

The king became very sick in his stomach and the Sky Commander actually dropped to his knees as be saw how fast the still very distant rockets were obliterated and then the blooming new sun of blinding energy.

The Captain said.”This was also for you to see, we have weapons able to obliterate both civilizations with great ease. Fortunately for you, we are tempered by laws and regulations. Unfortunately for you as well there are others with similar capabilities and with much fewer restrictions.”

He nodded.”We were lucky indeed.”

The monstrous being with one eye reported communications established.

The woman got up.”I am Captain Erica Olafson of the USS Tigershark.” She continued with her introduction that was pretty much the same as the one she used with the Skedrik, but she did not mention the Ypeherix. The captain made a pause and added.”Personally, I don’t like to be shot at, even if it is done with such laughable impotent pop rockets. To make the story short, I got the king of the Skedrik aboard. He wants to talk to you. If that doesn’t work out we leave.”

The captain waved the king into the visual pickups.

--””--

I had my senior officers gathered in the rarely used conference room, mainly because the Cavaro and the Skedrik had agreed to talk and we offered the Den as a neutral venue.

Shea had called moments ago and confirmed that the walking mushrooms had indeed placed seven of their semi-organic planet transformers into the crust of Skedra. The scanning method developed worked indeed perfectly and all seven Pressure manipulators had been successfully removed.

Har-Hi glanced at his PDD checking on the daily agenda and then said.”I don’t think it was a by the book diplomatic approach, to be honest. The handbook recommends a very subtle and subtle approach. Loading the Skedrik delegation, more or less right after lunch into the Tigershark; lighting up a Giga load above the Cavaro homeworld and scaring the living daylights out of them isn’t mentioned or recommended.”

Mehdi sitting in for Shea spread his hands. “There are only guidelines, in the end only the results count. That they are talking to each other after generations of hate and mistrust is a miracle all on its own.”

The Delicate who had taken Narth’s spot raised her head.”More than that, it is now becoming evident that the events were based on accidents and the lack of faster communication. The Skedrik mission never arrived, because there is a Brown Dwarf, a second sun the Skedrik did not know about. And the Cavaro ship did not explode on purpose but of catastrophic engine failure.”

Mao asked.”You are monitoring them telepathically?”

“Yes, but what I just said came from SHIP, she is with them and provides translations and calculations. It was her recalculating the original entry jump off the first Skedrik ship.”

Nolei then added.”Telepathically speaking they are both already thinking about alliances and the King really wants his people to join the Union.”

I leaned back looking at my XO.”I admit I am not the best diplomat, but then I haven’t been to Command school so far, where they teach that I think.”

--””--

Alice more or less forgot about the recording of her mother. To her, the woman in the recording was a stranger. Other than looking a little like her there was no real connection. Most certainly not an emotional one.

Alice had grown up in perhaps the harshest environment, fighting for basic survival every day. That she had been dumped like trash had calloused her mind in that regard, and that she was taken care of by a man who himself had virtually nothing made her quite uncaring about the news of her real mother.

She thought her real mother may have been some sort of GalDrift, running perhaps from drug dealers, slavers or whatnot. That she was killed more or less right after arrival was nothing unusual on Sin 4 at that time.

As it may be, that happened twenty-some years ago and had no bearing on her life. She was Nestor’s girl. She was a Wooorld native and had friends closer than sisters and brothers, uncles and aunts, among the Stik. She technically had two families that meant everything to her. Papa Nestor and the Stik of her village, and her friends here on the Tigershark. Narth was so caring and gentle and secretly she considered the Captain her mother. Well in a sense anyway, Erica always treated her with the greatest respect and with open affection. Alice smiled to herself and wondered if the captain knew the secret nickname everyone was calling her, Mama Erica. It actually originated from a Petharian marine, who modified the Marine phrase about their battle suit systems.

Marines called their battle suit system, MAMA (Which actually stood for Mobile Armor Management Application) and Marines always said.”If you take care of MAMA, MAMA takes care of you.”

The phrase had been altered aboard the Tigershark.”We take care of Mama Erica because she takes care of us.”

Alice giggled as she was thinking that and stepped on the Deck 4 slide belt. A monstrous Y’All joined her and said.”Humans express their amusement this way, what is it that caused your reaction?”

“Oh hi, TheOther. I was just thinking about the captain’s secret nickname and her reaction hearing it.”

TheOther made a gravel crushing sound, which was his way of laughing.”Yes, that would be a fun event. Not that I would want to be the one telling her.”

“Rumors have it she bested you in hand to hand, that can’t be true right?”

“It’s not a rumor little Alice. She did it against two of us, and she does not have those amazing psionic powers you have.”

Alice shook her head.”She is something else, Mama Erica isn’t she?”

“Yes, she is. Where are you headed anyway?”

With the greatest pride, Alice said.”Command Deck, Helm department meeting.”

“Wow, you made it! Ah, how wonderful. I bet you will be as good as Shaka one day.”

“No one can be as good, he actually achieved the first perfect 1000 score in fleet history.”

“A close second then. But why are you going there now? It is a full hour until that meeting.”

“I couldn’t sleep in excitement.”

TheOther placed one of his enormous fingers with gentle care on Alice’s small shoulders.”You will do fine. I am so proud of you. Wait till Dusty hears about it when he comes back.”

Alice hugged the giant’s lower right arm.”I love you too, TheOther.”

A Petharian Marine at the IST complained in a friendly tone.”What about me? Or is that a Y’All only thing?”

Alice gave the menacing Marine a hug too.”Of course not, Mr. Hivres.”

She went into the IST and SHIP transported her not to the command deck, but to the main deck and said.”You got 52 minutes, young lady. Breakfast first, steering me is easier on a full stomach.”

Alice made a mocking frown.”What would you know about stomachs, you don’t have one.”

“And yours was more empty than anything for way too long. I think Chef Eelyt made waffles today.”

“You should be called Mama SHIP.”

Alice was in great spirits, during her short stint at the academy, she heard about other ships. Marines and Navy strictly separated, Officers, eating at a different mess then enlisted. She was certain she was completely spoiled in that regard. None of these traditions were upheld on the Tigershark.

Marines and Navy personnel knew each other by the first name. In some cases bunked together. There was no Marine country. Officers and enlisted ate at the same facility and by Captain’s order ranks did not matter in the Den. These unique conditions had become Tigershark traditions all on their own.

Everyone went out of their way and far above any duty requirement to give their very best to the Captain.

The former hangar, now permanently transformed into what the crew called the Den was dominated by the huge round table and the many treasures, mementos and trophies the crew and the ship had gathered. And as always there was the buffet-style counter right next to the food transport system and the bank of serve-matics. The offerings changed from mealtime to mealtime. Some of the things offered were specifically there for the special food needs of non-human crew members. While the Chef or the Chief Steward wasn’t always there. There usually was at least an S-60 service robot or someone of the galley.

The entire buffet could be lowered into a floor compartment if the place was needed for other functions.

This morning Chef Eeryt himself and his new helper the worm being Meeze were behind the buffet and made sure the food choices were plentiful and fresh.

The worm wore a white hat, just like the chef, most of the worms head was covered and smeared with something red.

Alice helped herself to a stack of her favorite waffles and said.”Serving raw meat or something?”

The chef face palmed himself with both hands showing only his trunk.”No, Alice. Mr. Meeze discovered strawberry jam.”

“Meeze likez ze sweetzie strawberriz and ze cherriez.” The worm seemed to think.”Whaz an gooz ideaz meeeze triez ze strawberriez wiz ze meaz.”

Alice amused by that joined others at the table and now learned the reason, why Eeryt was there himself, the Captain was there, holding her ugly skull mug. “Ah, Ms.Enigma good morning.”

“Good morning, Captain, Ma’am.”

“Happy anniversary, Alice. I am sorry for not being there celebrating.”

“No problem, you gave me the best present ever, Ma’am.”

The captain was, Alice agreed one of the prettiest women, smiling over the rim of her skull mug.”You appear even more dedicated to become a Helmsman than Mehdi, why Helm?”

“Ma’am, steering and physically directing a ship like this can hardly be topped by anything.”

Mehdi laughed, “Captain, she speaks from my heart as well.”

“You are nuts, both of you, but this Navy can never have enough helmsmen, that’s for sure. Did Elfi give you that message from your dad?”

--””--

Ciferus and Lumis had rented a flier and followed the old road into the Yellow Desert. The Askruan Mountains in the distance.

Both of them kept an eye on the surroundings. The Yellow Desert was not only filled with rifts and passage doors, that could suddenly open but these trans spatial doors sometimes let things through that were very dangerous to any traveler.

Neither Ciferus nor Lumis were mere mortals and commanded powers on a cosmic level, but both of them were very aware of the possibility that a fiend of similar abilities could decide to attack them.

Avondur was unique in that way, ancient pacts and conditions made it a neutral ground of sorts neutralizing some abilities without any indication how this was accomplished.

Staying directly over the old road and traveling at conservative speed while the sun was reasonably safe and then they saw the Gateway oasis, where they hoped to find the Sentinel.

Both of them only appeared to be men, both were powerful entities with abilities far beyond mere mortals, yet due to rules, pacts and agreements set in place by entities beyond them neither was in command of their full potentials.

It was because of this, they overlooked the hooded figure standing at the entrance to the Oasis, holding a staff. The figure expanded and grew in size very quickly engulfed in billowing clouds of dust and the dark brown hooded cape it wore.

With a powerful blow of the now tree sized staff, the figure smashed the flier out of the air and sent it crashing into desert sand next to the paved road.

The fliers engine caught fire and an explosion ripped the wrecked flier apart and caused a shower of shrapnel and debris.

Both Lumis and Ciferus were violently ejected and tumbled across the hard-packed ground of the rock and sand surface.

Lumis collided with a sizeable boulder and came staggering to his feet, more dazed and surprised than really injured. He pulled his sword Lightbright and approached the male figure, now not taller than him.

Ciferus also collected himself out of the midst of the burning wreck, also unhurt but equally angry. Unlike Lumis, he knew their attacker. “Balkurs!”

A thing that looked like an undead vampire bat and about the size of a large dog detached itself from the figure and attacked Lumis.

Lumis swung his sword, leaving a glowing path and cut the bat creature in half. “What is this madness?” He demanded to know with a loud voice.”You attacking the Champion of light and creation. Declare yourself and yield.”

A force gale whipped up sand and small rocks with the force of an industrial sandblaster hammering into Lumis, driving him back.

Ciferus also yelled.”Balkurs, return to your master. I am your match alone, but now Lord Lumis is at my side.”

The Demon Lord lashed out with hellish fire, engulfing the shrouded man who had not spoken or said anything.

Lumis was stomped with great strength against the sandblasting wind, that suddenly stopped as the firebolt hit its target.

Lumis now unhindered stormed forward to strike the silent attacker. Whoever he was, vanished in a cloud of dust before Lumis could strike or the fire was able to do damage.

The Lord of light swung his weapon into the settling dust cloud, angry that he was denied a killing blow.”Who was this? And why are we attacked?”

Ciferus brushed dust and sand of his shoulders. “The price is ultimate power, Lord Lumis. The incentive to gain what the Dark One represents is a lure like none other. This was Balkurs, a servant of Baahl. They say he was a captain in the employ of Invictus before he fled to the Netherworlds to escape death. He will be back.”

“Then he will meet his fate.”

Out of the entrance to the Oasis a towering, at least six meters tall thing stalked towards them. It too looked undead. A fleshless thing of bones with four arms carrying a spear and a dagger. The skull embedded in a clump of green translucent crystal floated without a visible neck or any other connection above its shoulders.

Lumis readied himself to fight again.

Ciferus stopped him with a gesture. “This is the Sentinel of the Rifts. It is said that the being is the crystal and it bonded with the skeleton of a dead being to gain mobility.”

“An abomination it is.”

The stalking thing was now close and it spoke. The voice resonated apparently from the crystal rock thing, but the jaws of the embedded skull did not move. “Ciferus and Lumis seek out the one that guards the ancient rifts. What you seek is no mystery, why you seek it however is concealed from each other. Go then pass through the rift of Geoan. Maybe you are successful where your lackeys have failed, Ciferus. And you Lumis, servant of the haughty Crea, go and see if you find what you seek. The time of the Decision draws near.”

A sudden distortion appeared as if part of the desert scenery was no longer real threw ripples like a canvas projection screen and split in half, revealing a sizeable portal to a place with dark green trees.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.