Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 12: New Mission

I ordered my friends and crew back to the ship. Malmoru had instant and unquestioned authority and no one asked any questions.

The word was, that the White Innocent Fur had indeed prevented the darkest spirt from causing the demise of all Togar.

The dark spirit, so the word among the Togar had manifested itself in the High Priestess. Something that fits well with the believes and also apparently resonated well with the rebels and dissidents. The demise of the queen, by the hand of that dark spirit, was seen as a validation of the past prophecies.

The appearance of their highest god and spirit had been witnessed by millions and sent the cats of Togar in a religious frenzy.

The glowing Togar god officially appointed an interim steward and took on the form of a mortal Togar to pose as that steward until the Lost King could be found.

Cherubim had contacted the Admirals and they confirmed that the abducted Union citizen was back safe and sound.

Malmoru actually shook my hand as I too was ready to board the Tigershark. “Those who expect you to be the same evil entity as you have been are wrong. I pledge my support to you Dark One, even though what need do you have for that?”

I kept holding his big paw.”No, indeed the Dark One has no need for alliances and pledges of support, but why not forget such pledges and simply give friendship a chance to grow. A concept that was missing in that First Universe.”

He declined his stately head.”That is a worthy goal indeed. I am an Elder of the Universe and I am guarding and hiding a token of yours.”

He suddenly held a tray on it an ornate cup, in a dark pewter shape.”This is Conscientia tenebris. It is yours I am certain.”

I reached out for it and as I touched it, my mind was filled with great knowledge. While the images and that knowledge was so far beyond me, I understood nothing. It was the essence of my brother who did and his presence was stronger than ever and his mind had reached levels that were truly immortal.

“Fear me not sister.”

“How can you share my mind and body and think that I am afraid? I am still Viking!”

He silently laughed. “Yes, sister indeed.”

I thanked Malmoru and boarded my ship.

The crew had once again assembled, each and everyone of them and they all snapped inattention.”

They were all there.

I swallowed.”Mr.Hi are we complete?”

He seemed to fight a similar sentiment as he answered with emotion in his voice. “Aye, Captain. All 834 Officers, enlisted and marines are here. We are indeed complete.”

I looked at all of them.”Crew and friends, I know you technically earned some R and R, what do you think?”

Sodoby said.”With all due respect Captain, keep that R & R and let us get some vacuum under the keel.”

They all cheered with an almost fanatic fervor.”Captain Olafson.”

--””--

A few moments later, I arrived on our bridge and said.”Mr. Xon take the Conn and take her out. Elfi please contact Command and request an update on our orders.”

“Aye Captain.”

Har-Hi asked.”Where are you going to be?”

“I am getting out of this catsuit, have a nice swim and a good meal in our Den, and you, my friend need to get out of that red pelt yourself. You are not a very convincing Togar anyway.”

“Good idea and you are right.”

“Where is Cherubim? Is she aboard?”

Mehedi shook his head.”No Captain, she prefers her own ways and disappeared, most likely into a new identity.”

I was ready to leave the bridge when I almost dripped over Meeze.

“Oh right, Mr.Meeze. There are a few questions and a discussion we need to have.”

“Meeze? I wanz noz zo be on ze hookz.”

“Where did you go and where did you get that fleet?”

“Stoopiz admiralz noz wanz zo helpz ze Sweezie Joolaiz. So meeze takez shipz and goez to Quaraz and speakez zo ze bigz onze. Meeze wanz ze Magolax anz ze Vikarz, Meeze gez zem, simplez. Whyz youz askz?”

“And you think that explains it?”

“Yeez.”

“Who gave you a Union ship, where is it now and how did you manage to fly and navigate?”

“Admiralz makez Meeze, speciaizt. Meeze azkes forz ze shipz anz gez iz. Itz a littlez Scropionz no complicazed.” He sounded suddenly offended.”Whaaz? Yuz zink Meeze stoopiz. Meeze givez shipz backz zo ze Unionz az ze gatez. You zink me simpliz anz stoopiz wormz. Meeze livez forz ze longz timz az ze crucizible. Wheeze knowz technologiz of ze manzy!”

I could not help but be amazed, despite the hard to understand worm. I realized that he was way more than a simple scavenger.

The worm raised his upper body.”Nowz everzin ezplainzed. Givz me jobz, pleaze? Admiralz maze me memberz buz noz saiz waz.”

“We will get back to that, Mr. Meeze. There are far more questions, but I recognize your continuous dedication to members of this crew and going out of your way to help your friends. Therefore I am officially welcome you and accept you as a member of this crew. As for what position, frankly, I have no clue. Why don’t you tell Mr.Hi what department you want to be in?”

“Alrighz, Meeze tinkz abouz zat.”

--””--

I sighed deeply as I entered my quarters. I noticed that the bed was now made up for two, Shea had indeed moved in and I realized how much I had neglected her lately.

Just as I was thinking that she came in, still wearing her spotted fur costume.

She looked at me.”We are still lovers right?”

I embraced her.”I was just thinking about that. How much I have neglected you.”

“I knew it will never be easy between us. You are the Captain first and foremost and that is what you are. I just wanted to make sure we still...”

“Yes, we still are. I have changed much, meaning I know who I am now, and with that comes confidence and certainty. It is me, Erica, who loves you.”

She blinked, her intellect was churning my words, but her emotions won over and we embraced and she caressed me. “That fur is really soft...”

I did not go swimming but found myself in her arms and in our bed.

The Tigershark had left the Togar system and was now in Quasi space, our destination was Mildrus Edge, A Union colony with a small Union Fleet Outpost.

--””--

The man in the golden helmet and green cloak appeared human to Lord Lumis, but his senses told him that he was facing an entity of great power.

The man pointed towards the former city fortress and caravanserai of the Estresa tribe and merchant family. “Lord Lumis, we find a more pleasant place to discuss and converse inside. The Yellow wall is soon upon Sandakaar.”

Lumis and the man who had yet to give his name went back to the Estresa compound. While Lumis should have been immune to such things and had not been to Avondur or the city of Sandakaar for thousands of years, he knew what the man was referring to, and why the merchants and shop keepers started to shutter their shops and stalls.

This. until now very busy, apparently primitive market, started to clear, as everyone cleared the dusty hard packed dirt streets and aisles between the sturdy tents and stalls. The market had been crowded with beings of many shapes and sizes. Some were humanoid but humanoid shapes were in the minority. As diverse as the beings were so were their clothing and gear. A few sported modern, sophisticated looking armor and weapons while others wore anachronistic armor paired with swords, clubs, and spears. The only common theme was that they all were armed.

The host or proprietor of the rest tent, a somewhat humanoid dressed in colorful loose-fitting clothing with a beak instead of a mouth said.” Honored guests, you just made it in time. I am sealing the place. the Yellow Wall is rolling in a full hour earlier than usual, meaning it is driven by strong winds.”

Lumis sat down at the same cushion he had occupied before. The man took off his helmet with measured moves and sat down across Lumis.

The Lord of light said.”Would you give me a name?”

“I had many years over the past. I have known Sata and Corfic, why don’t you call me Ciferus?”

Lord Lumis jumped up. “You are a denizen of the Nether worlds and an agent of darkness and evil. I exist to banish creatures like you.”

“Sit down, Lumis. This is Avondur and by decree of the Seven Circles, neutral ground. I know your mistress abides by it.”

Lumis sat down but kept his hand on his sword. “What do you want?”

“The same as you, slaying the Dark One before he fully resurrects.”

Lumis watched as workers of the caravanserai placed steel framed transparent panels between the sturdy tent poles and locked them in place. The market square beyond was now deserted. Everything was boarded and shuttered tight.

Lumis hissed.”Is he not an associate of yours?”

Ciferus laughed.”For someone whose sole existence culminates in a confrontation with the Dark One, you know so little. Is it may be true that your legendary haughtiness is even more blinding, or did you somehow think this age will never dawn?”

“I exist to fight and destroy all that is darkness, including you. Now speak or leave.”

The demon lord or whatever he laughed again.”Alright, Lord of Light. Your light has long been tainted. The one called PEAC left the Alliance even before it was really formed, the one entity that is truly the opposite of evil casts no shadow and has not been associated with Crea.”

Ciferus stapled his fingers. “When the Alliance formed by your precious Crea defeated the Dark One. The Nether Realms were without master and nine entities rose to claim these realms. I managed to conquer two and poised to take another one.”

Lumis made an airy wave.”And that means what to the light? Your struggles of the Nether realms are not even relevant to this the prime universe.”

“You are supposed to be an entity of great wisdom. I begin to lose the little respect I had for you. You are ignorance personified.”

“You insult me again and I care not what pacts of neutrality exist and I slay you!”

“This response proves my point. Crea and her alliance did not succeed in destroying the Dark One. He was promised revenge and resurrection. The very reason Crea felt it necessary to create you and a thousand schemes to prevent this resurrection.”

Ciferus and Lumis watched as a dense cloud of yellow dust rolled over the city. Turning bright day into a dark twilight, pounding the shutters and panels with gale wind force.

Ciferus continued.”Yet all the schemes and plans were unsuccessful, what can one even as powerful as Crea do against the will and promise of the One behind it all?”

Lumis was certain there were dark shapes within the billowing clouds of dust. “With all these lectures you have not told me what you want. You did not seek me out without a purpose.”

“When the Dark One resurrects he will reclaim the Nether realms and punish those who took advantage of his absence. I am as afraid as Crea of that day, thus if there is a weapon that can kill or stop that entity, I want you to find it.”

Lumis had to agree, that made sense and he said.”Where is that weapon?”

“If I knew, Lumis. I take it myself and do the deed. Let us go to the Sentinel of the Rifts and seek passage into the Realm of the Old Ones. It is said Invictus Rex, the first Emperor knows where it is.”

--””--

Mildrus Edge was a wet world, not the kind I found pleasant, but basically a big swamp and jungle ball. Due to its virtually non-existent axial tilt, the planet’s climate was was pretty much the same year round and due to the fact it was on the closer side of the Goldilocks zone, there wasn’t a cool region anywhere, even the large ocean was a green algae soup.

From the base commandant, I learned that the local fauna consisted of slugs and snails in virtually all sizes.

According to our Shaill engineer a paradise and according to Meeze. “Noz zo baz az all.”

The rest of my crew, however, was glad that the base was sealed.

We didn’t have to stay long anyway. When we arrived a package of supplies, mail and munitions were waiting for us.

While Knnnkt, Wheeze and Huruf the Shaill enjoyed a little shore leave and the rest of my crew either helped with the supply and fuel transfer. I was sitting in my office with an open connection to Admiral McElligott.

He sat behind his desk and smoked his trademark pipe.”Next time, I think I put a few credits in Sodoby’s pool. A Togar delegation just arrived at Pluribus exploring the possibilities and requirements of Union membership. Cherubim complained that you basically took over and turned her carefully planned intelligence operation into near chaos. Killing the Togar queen, conjuring up a fleet of the ugliest, most frightening bioships I have ever seen.”

He chuckled.”I warned her and so did your friend Stahl. Well, she is pleased with the results as we all are, but she swears never to take you on a clandestine mission again.”

I sipped from my ugly skull mug and said.”Good news then. Back working with the Science Corps now?”

“Yes and no, Captain. Thanks to your crew and that mentioned Science Department, we know the Ypeherix are behind these Shattered Worlds. Thanks to Eduk we also think this is related to the Seeders or the Earlies.”

He puffed a blue cloud of smoke. “You take that ship of yours on a tour of unexplored space in the Spinward sector and find out the reason why the Ypeherix do what they do. Find their planet of origin and solve that mystery for us. Seems that’s what you guys are good at.”

“Aye, so I give my helmsman a pair of dice to figure out where to go?”

“In your case, it might just work, but Eduk and the science corps have worked out a number of systems for you to visit. They used the progression pattern of the Ypeherix and worked it back. The rest is up to you.”

I had to admit that was a perfect mission. Combining science with exploration. “Thank you, Sir.”

“Just keep in mind while this is pretty much-unexplored space, it is the back side of the Galactic Council and we have no idea how far their reach might be into that region. So keep an eye open for any Kermac and GC activity.”

--””--

There was a confident professional atmosphere of excitement in the mission control center. The Lord commander of the Skedrik Sky forces watched the many rows of technicians, engineers, system specialist, and mission control officer behind their high tech desks pressing buttons, talking into headphones and checking data and system status on monitors.

Behind the Lord Commander a small crowd of Info providers with cameras and commentators speaking into microphones, telling the billions of Skedriks glued to their tele viewers at home.

He then paid attention once again on the huge view screen in front of him and focused on what it displayed. There bathed by the glaring light of countless flood lights stood the proudest technical achievement of the Skedrik civilization. The first space warship, the Plobir na Tanga!

It meant avenger of Plobir in the old language.

The powerful 600 engos tall tapered giant was the culmination of sixty periods of research and development and would be the tool to repay the Cavaro for their attack on Plobir.

Liftoff was scheduled for one hour after midnight. Exactly at the same time as the 100th anniversary of the Cavaro attack on the Plobir; or in one hour and ten minutes.

The Lord Commander could hear one of the Info providers reminding his audience of the significance of that date, not that he really needed to do this as every Skedrik knew about it and every detail was taught in school.

He could not help to pay attention to it anyway.

The commentator said.”Almost five hundred long periods ago we made radio contact with another sentient species in the closest star system to ours, the Cavaro. Everything changed from that day on. We finally had proof we were not alone in the universe For centuries we were in radio contact with them, but since it takes radio waves and light over three long periods to reach them, Radio contact was the only way to interact with what we believed was a kindred civilization and friends to us. We freely shared everything with them and for a long period, we believed they did the same.

It was exactly a hundred long periods ago when our scientists discovered a method to travel faster than light. This discovery was immediately shared with what we believed were our friends.

We also began to built our first Faster than light spaceship to mount an expedition and visit the Cavaro for the first time.

Sixty-four periods ago the historic Cavaro expedition was launched to make the long journey. We never heard from this expedition again.

While our radio question to the Cavaro was still underway, a Cavaro space ship arrived here and requested landing permission to greet us all, but instead of landing and greeting us they detonated their ship right above our once so beautiful capital city Plobir. Killing 13 million including our beloved King Askried and his entire family.”

He paused as everyone did when reaching this part of the events to remember the terrible crime.

The Cavaro liars even accused us of destroying their ship and claimed no expedition of ours ever reached them.

We had no other recourse as to declare war on them and cease all communication.”

The commentator directed the attention of his audience to the warship shown on all tele viewers.”This is our answer. We will repay the Cavaro in kind and bomb their cities to ashes. Aveng...”

The Lord Commander was interrupted listening to the commentator as an Officer with fear in his face and utmost urgency in his voice reported. “Our radio wave scanners on Wurac base reported the detection of a fast moving object appearing past at the seventh orbit.”

The Lord Commander paled.”The Cavaro!”

He raised the planet-wide alert. Security cleared the civilians out of the command center.

The population trained for this, begun to evacuate towns and cities and retreated into the underground shelters that had been built everywhere.

Missile batteries were activated and pointed skywards.

King Oskread and the entire cabinet rushed to the War bunker deep under the Kolrika Mountains protected by miles of solid rock and the King ordered to launch the warship right away. Not that it was any good. The ship needed weeks to accelerate and get close to the enemy to launch them. This was theoretical of course as ship to ship warfare was considered impossible. The missiles it carried were intended to hit planetary surface targets.

The Lord Commander calculated the time it took for the radio scanners to detect the enemy and the Wurac base on the sixth planet to deliver the report. It took over 52 minutes for radio messages from that base to reach Command.

The reported speed of the intruder was so great that it had to be close to the orbit of the fifth planet by now.

One of the sensor specialists handed him a report sheet. “Lord Commander these are the results of our size and mass calculations.”

The Lord Commander stared at the numbers.”This can’t be! According to this, the Cavaro ship is 1500 Enos long.” He, however, knew right away the calculations were correct.

The next message followed right after he received the scanner results. “Wurac base reports the intruder has slowed down to drift and is still beyond the sixth planets orbit.”

Now this message was harder to believe.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.