Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 8: Another Approach

Jolaj was no longer bound and her fur was once again as white snow. She was treated like a princess, but there was no doubt, she was a prisoner. They did not allow her to leave her quarters.

She learned that the ship was not a Togar product, but a luxury yacht made by Enroe.

None of her captors had given their names, they simply identified themselves as the Resistance. A group she had learned called themselves, Children of Malmoru.”

The female, with a light brown fur and puffy cheeks, pointed to the computronic terminal. There are entertainment options available. We rather keep you confined to quarters. Most of the crew is male and you are even more beautiful than the legends claim you are.”

“Why don’t you understand. I don’t care about anything Togar, I am a Union Citizen and where it Roghor?”

“The male was unimportant, we left him behind and you change your mind, but frankly we will make you do what is needed. After the bath in Malmoru’s sacred pool validated you, all Togr will rise like a storm and sweep that filth out of the palace and the temples. You are a tool, Jolaj. We prayed to Malmoru for centuries, but that is the problem with gods and spirit, they never listen and all they are shadows of legends and long-gone times.”

“You don’t think I am the daughter of Malmoru?”

“Of course not, but billions of Togr do and that is what matters. Now be a good goddess and do what you will be told.” With these words, the brown-furred female left her alone.

Jolaj could hear the lock engage and she was certain the door would not open for her. She tried anyway but the unyielding door confirmed her fears.

“System, open the door.”

“Unable to comply, you are not authorized.”

Jolaj wiped her tears. She just told that female that she was Union but she was also Ensign Jolaj Grotha. She looked around and asked herself: What would the Captain do?.

“Never give up, for one thing.” She said to herself.”No, I am not a useless and helpless white Fur temple cat.”

Then an idea started to creep into her mind. This was not a Togar ship.

“System identify yourself.”

“Spaceship Operations System Mk .14 ‘Susi’”

“And the ship?”

“Enroe Colt III, Executive Armed Editon.”

“What is your port of call?”

“Houston Planet.”

“I am Jolaj Grotha, Union Citizen and Union Fleet Officer. I am abducted, open GalNet channels for an Emergency call to Union Police.”

“System lockout deactivated. GalNet terminal active, audio connection only.”

The next voice she heard was friendly and female.”Citizen state the nature of your emergency.”

Jolaj tried to calm herself and remembered her training. She identified herself used her service number and last assignment. She also reported her situation as fast as she could.

The brown-furred female came in and backhanded her with ferocious strength.”You rangy piece of work. Who are you talking to?”

The voice from the terminal had changed to a male voice.”She is on contact with Union Police. I am Luitenant Wargor. You are hereby ordered to return to Kaliment or the next Union Outpost. Any further harm to the Union Citizen will add to your charges.”

The voice added.”Ensign Grotha, Union Fleet and the OOCA have been informed and we will do whatever possible to affect your release.”

Her captor growled.”System, terminate the connection.”

“Unable to comply, this is an emergency call. Citizen is properly identified.”

“These are Togar affairs and we are far from Union space!”

“Abducting a Union citizen makes it a Union affair, your terminal, and ship have been identified...”

The brown pelted female actually fired her blaster into the terminal, as she was unable to terminate. To Jolaj she snarled.”What can they do? We are in Togar space. Seems like you need to be tied up after all.”

--””--

I stared at the worm being. “What did you say? You know where Jolaj is?”

“Yeez, Meeze saiz it againz.” The Wheeze spread his thin arms.”Togarz lazie wantzed zo hidze inze wallz, justz when Meeze wanzed to makez ze stinkiz. I saiz I eaz her but she wanz noz to be eazen.”

“Okay, let me get that straight. You took part in the base assault with a little knife and decided to use a base tunnel for a bathroom, while there was fighting going on?”

The worm seemed pleased.”Youz listenz. When Meeze feelz it, Meeze goez fighingz or notz.” The worm looked at me.”When youz feelz iz, you goez rightz?”

Baffled I nodded.”I guess so, never had the urge to ... never mind. Where is Jolaj?”

“Zei takez Jolaj for bazing az anotzer planez. Poorz Jolaiz, Meeze doez notz likez the bazing either.”

I smacked my face.”So they have taken her off-planet. That does not mean you know where she is.”

Dusty who was right behind me said.”Captain, the Wheeze might be onto something. Jolaj told me about a pool she was supposed the submerge herself on her twenty-third birthday. It is called the Light Pool of Malmoru or something like that. Only after she emerges unharmed she is confirmed the Chosen one of the Light Spirit and fulfill her prophecized destiny of uniting the lost tribes and save her kind from a Dark Force.”

Meeze pointed to the still open secret door.”Thaz whazz shez saiz, maybeez she saiz more.I onlyz eaz a litze biz of herz legz.”

It turned out, the Togar female was indeed alive, but not by much. She was missing a substantial part of her right leg and had bled almost to death.

She was very willing to share her information after I told her Meeze could have the rest if she wasn’t forthcoming.

I had returned to my ship and called the Admiral of the Fleet.

He had listened to my report and said.”Landing on Togar side and leveling the Governess palace isn’t the most subtle way.”

“Sir, I am sending you the med report on Roghor. He is a Union officer and he was abducted. He was in this situation because of Fleet Command being unable to keep Newport arses out of their ranks. The utter discontent for his life and safety makes me fear for Jolaj. I just came from Rogh’s bedside, and I have a good mind to do what I wanted to do when I saw the freighter full of butchered humans.”

He pressed his lips together.”And I accept part of that blame, Captain Olafson. I understand your anger and I am not reprimanding you for what you did, but we must handle the rest a little more subtle. This incident will give us plenty of leverage to solve this short of going to war.”

“Isn’t that what we were prepared to do, according to your own words?”

“Captain Olafson, threatening with war is a diplomatic tool. We are much stronger than the Togar, but there are also plenty of independents and there are the Kermac.” He held up his hand before I could say anything and grunted. “He has impeccable timing. Stand by to repeat your report, the Old Warhorse is requesting to take part in this briefing.”

Sure enough, a new Avatar established in my Captain’s office. As always even his avatar radiated some of the unexplainable gravity that was part of his legend. He wore his usual black uniform, the only thing new was the small golden band on his ring finger of his left hand.

He first gave the other admiral a long look. “I was just briefed about the whole affair and I expect you explain it to me in a way a simple man like me can understand it.”

“I am still the Admiral of the Fleet and I don’t have to explain my orders to everyone.”

“Are you saying that you are above scrutiny and that I need to know my place?”

“Mhac Na Galla! Yer bum’s oot the windae, Richard I am doing this damn job for three thousand goddamn years. It was never small ever and now it is the biggest darn monster in the history of monsters and I try to keep it running as smooth as possible. Sometimes things will happen. Erica, like or not, you are part of the top of the pyramid if you will. Meaning you are also going to be exposed to more bullshite than the average CO. The incredible success of your first mission forever cemented you and your crew in our focus, and in extend to everyone else’s focus who looks at us. You dealt with a jealous admiral and his son, more or less from the start. You had jealous officers aboard Richard’s big tub and there will always be some who learn about the Tigershark, about you and some will be jealous. I doubt there is more than ten percent of the Devi Crew who have ever seen Harris or even Richard. Yet you met him as a midshipman, steered his big tub, even had beers with him and went to his wedding as the Ringbearer no less.”

He wasn’t finished and kept on venting.”The Nul All-leader declared you part of the family pod. The Nul basically re-arranged Karthania because of you. You are the declared Patri-Kar of all Dai. The Seenian Last Servant still consider you the Inheritor. The Narth made you high representative. The Coven declared you decision-maker and the re-confirmed leader of the Golden just told me, that he follows you to whatever end. I know the mysterious Mother Superior of the Sojonites calls you her Sojo. You are engaged to a daughter of the richest man in the universe and the second daughter of the Queen of Saran is among your closest friends. Heck, I have you on my direct call list. Do you know there are less than twenty beings on that list?”

He spread his arms.”I know you probably never even listed all this in your mind. In this, you are like Richard and that is one of the reasons you are on that list, another reason is that I know you can handle difficulties and you can be trusted with the biggest secrets of our society.”

Richard Stahl grinned.”He does make a few good points I have to admit. You collect secrets like a magnet and your security clearance is higher than mine. Anyway, we are just mopping up the Shiss mess, the Shiss war is officially over, as of Five Hour today. The remaining Shiss leadership has signed an unconditional surrender.

Shiss-Ta is now under the control of the Union Army and the First White Nestling has been tossed off his high mount.”

I then repeated my report and he said, holding up a PDD. “On a personal level, I am impressed by your landing action. A fast descent, taking out ground defenses very quickly and then an overwhelming ground assault. But then not even the Devi can boast a personal fifty head Y’All warrior force. Not to mention a living dust cloud, a gray Nul, and your marines.”

McElligott interrupted saying.”And everyone as dedicated to her as the grunts of your Steel Gauntlet. I spend a few days aboard that fish, I know.”

Stahl nodded.”So have I, while you Captain decided to free each and every slave the Karthanians had.”

He became serious again.”That was my personal opinion and you did more or less what my esteemed colleague has authorized, but even for the sake of all your crew members, you are not authorized to willfully declare war on your own. As a Union Fleet captain you have the full authority to retaliate and respond to a declaration of war, but our law grants the authority to declare war to one body alone. Not me, not the Admiral of the Fleet, not the Narth Supreme but the Assembly. Because you did not declare war openly and there is ample proof the Togar abducted Fleet members you did not break the law, but you came very close. Make no mistake Captain Olafson, personally, I would be proud to call you my son or my daughter. Personally, I respect you very much and see a reflection of me, but if you break our laws, I will not hesitate to bring you to justice. I see McElligott bend the law and I know Cherubim does, I am personally convinced Rex Schwartz is the most dangerous criminal there ever was, and if I ever come across any evidence that supports my suspicions with facts, I will take action on the side of the law.”

His voice was a reflection of his name and his unquestionable authority.”If we suspend law and justice for some and not for others, we become criminals ourselves and our laws mean nothing.”

I could not do anything but intellectually agree with the Immortal Warrior, even though his words had a deep emotional impact on me. I felt chastised and reprimanded by the one person I never wanted to be reprimanded by.

There was nothing I could say in my defense, I had to admit that I did not act as a Union Captain should have.

In all this he managed to increase my respect for him, he was indeed integrity personified.

He glared at McElligott.”That goes for you as well. Telling her that you would call for war. Yes, you can call for it, so can anyone. But it can only be declared by the Assembly and after a vote. If it would be that easy, we would not have a Kermac problem for a long time.”

McElligott’s face reflected similar thoughts than mine, I was certain.

“Alright, but the fact remains, the Togar have abducted Union Fleet members. I will pressure for diplomatic resolutions.”

“Then do that, Admiral Sir.” He said. I was not sure if there was a hidden accusation in that response, it sure felt that way.”

The Eternal Warrior seemed ready to leave and disconnect. “Erica, I am very concerned about your Jolaj and I have seen what they did to Roghor. You are not regular fleet, you are still NAVINT. Where the wrecking ball and cannon fire won’t succeed, use a different approach. The Tigershark was built for the cunning approach, not the frontal assault.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You figure it out, I have confidence in you.”

--””--

The representative of the Office of Citizen Affairs to the Assembly was an Ogher. He belonged to a small community of genuine Ogher of the Shattered Kingdom, that were Union Citizens. In his case, he was fourth generation, but he maintained some contact to family members that remained subjects of the Ogher kingdom. Because of this, he was better informed about that particular region of the M-0 Galaxy. He also knew more about the Togar.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.