Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Journeys of the Tigershark (Vol 9)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 6: High Father

The Stellaris scientist-led us through several connecting tube tunnels and stopped at another airlock module. Space is limited, unfortunately, and we can’t accommodate Nul or ... is that a Y’All?”

I put a firm tone in my voice.”Is there a problem with that?”

“Oh no, I voted for their admission. I just noticed the Ensign rank insignia and wondered how it managed to get to be an officer that fast.”

“He joined the Union as an individual ahead of his kind. This is Ensign TheOther, a valued member of my crew and I am proud to say a friend as well.”

“The Space Force let us have one of their Deep Penetrators. We modified it to be a research vehicle that can go below the crust of a geothermic active planet. There is simply no room for any of our Union members that exceed BaPhy 2.”

“I understand if you hadn’t mentioned that you found something. I would offer my seat to someone else and be happy with the report of my science officer.”

He opened the airlock door.”Fleet Command wanted you here, and as I mentioned I no longer question the Old Highlander. What our unmanned probes discovered is ‘something’ indeed, as we haven’t figured out what it is exactly.”

“Then I suggest we go, Sir.”

He was right, the interior of whatever we entered was confined. It reminded me of a Nilfeheim sub and with that thought came a swell of memories. While Nilfeheim was not my home anymore, it had been my home back then and I realized part of me would always be connected to that cold and wet world.

“Mine as well, Sister. My home is the Omniverse and where I dwell cannot be described in spatial or human terms, but I am also Eric and Nilfeheim will always have a special bond.”

“Why Nilfeheim and why Eric? You are if I understand it a God, a very powerful entity. Would not a Netherworld demon or at least a Petharian be better suited to contain your essence?”

“Because it had to be a Terran from a very specific line. A line that left Earth and went to the stars, Erica. The Neo Vikings of Nilfeheim are among the purest Terrans in terms of genetics.

While almost all other colonies and even Earthers themselves mingled with Non-Terrans, Nifleheim remained isolated and thus no other genetics were introduced. Without the seventh token, the Book Omnis Eternum I do not have the answers to why it had to be that way. Once we find the book, my memory will be restored.”

While I had this inner conversation, I had advanced deeper into the cylindrical space of this crust diver and the Stellaris pointed to a seat.”Why don’t you sit here, Captain? Our descend and the journey will take the better part of twelve hours. There is a small galley with a serv-Matic and a washroom to the left of you.”

I sat down, while Har-Hi plopped himself into the seat across from me and the small folding table between us. He asked.”Twelve hours? I thought crust buster bombs take minutes to reach their detonation depth.”

“It takes Crust busters between sixty minutes and two hours to reach their destination, true but they never go as deep as we will and we won’t be as fast.”

I reclined the seat.”Fine with me, I catch a few z’s.”

Har-Hi grinned.”You need them, I just got a message from our Golden. The admiral of the Fleet just made Meeze an official crew member.”

Already reclining and with my eyes closed I asked.”We’re complete again?”

“Almost, only our Snowball and Roghor have not returned yet.”

“Do we know where they are?”

“Yes, aboard the USS Windermere.”

“To be more precise, where is the USS Windermere?”

Har-Hi consulted his Wrist-Com and doing so presumably contacted Nelson II.

“The USS Usain, a brand new Battle Cruiser has been sent by Fleet Command to pick them up at...”

His hesitation made me open my eyes.

He continued.” ... at Kaliment, Captain.”

This made me sit up again.”Do you mean Togar half, Karthanian half Kaliment? The one we’ve been to?”

“There is no other world named that way.”

I could not explain why I didn’t like what I heard.”What is a Union battleship doing there?”

“They assisting the Army Corps installing a GalCom station and begin construction of a Class B spaceport, apparently by request of the First Engineer.”

“I can add one and two, that means the Karthanians are on the brink of making their move, but having our Togar there is just not a good idea. She, being something like a saint with and him being a deserter.”

Har-Hi said.”They are aboard a Union Battleship. A crew of 20,000 and a full regiment of Marines, the Togar won’t even know they there. The Battleship is on Karthanian side anyway.”

“Well, I will feel better, if the USS Usain reports back with both of them.”

Har-Hi didn’t seem to share my concerns.”Captain, even if the Togar became aware of them, what could they do with a Battleship right there? With the Shiss gone and the Karthanians making their move towards membership, they not going to aggravate us.”

He was right of course, and both Jolaj and Roghor were Union fleet officers aboard a Union titan, probably safer than aboard the Tigershark. I tried to relax again,

Shea came from the front and stemmed her fists to her side.”We are on a very exciting mission trip. Going below a planet’s surface. There is tremendous pressure and hellish temperatures out there, and what are you two doing?”

Har-Hi stretched, looking very comfortable and said.”The Captain and I are discussing the Thermo thing reaction between those layers.” He rolled his eyes.”Cosmic Spirits, that was so much easier with Narth giving me the clues.”

She gave him a scolding look, then sat down on the last free chair of this little seat group.”It is actually what we are supposed to do, I mean we as the Fleet.”

I groaned and got in a more upright position.”And my XO and my Science Chief find it necessary to keep me awake. Girl, you know how much science knowledge have, especially compared to you. We would not be in this contraption if it wasn’t safe. You and Narth handle the science component, while Har-Hi and I enjoy the change of pace.”

She got up, squeezed my hand and got me a Coffee from the small Serve-matic. “It’s not exactly Tigershark quality, but it’s Navy standard.”

Then she went back to from wherever she had come from.

Har-Hi reached for my coffee.”She didn’t even ask if I want some.”

“Next time we take our Yeoman along.”

I crossed my arms and closed my eyes again, almost instantly dreaming about Jolaj and Roghor.

--””--

The CO of the USS Usain was known to be a stickler for punctuality. When his XO told him that the two officers he was to take aboard, weren’t there. He got angry and called the CO of the Windermere. “I was diverted from a run to Prostradoris. I have important cargo.”

The Captain of the Windermere was more laid back and said.”The two are on shore leave. They didn’t know when you arrive exactly. Why don’t you make that Prostradoris delivery and pick them up on your return?”

“That would be in 12 days.”

“Makes no difference if they spend those 12 days aboard your ship going to Prostradoris with you, or spend them here.”

“Alright, but they better be there when I come back.”

--””--

Jolaj came to her senses and realized she was wearing some sort of hood over her head.

A throaty voice, speaking Tog said.”She is awake.”

The hood was removed and she found herself in a dimly lit room, furnished only a few Togar style chairs and a worn table.

The light came from a single illuminator sphere. There were no apparent windows and the door was obscured by a heavy curtain of dark fabric.

She counted three Togar, one female and two male.

The female made a gesture of devotion and said.”You are the Innocent Fur, the daughter of Lightray spirit Malmoru. We are blessed to be in your presence.”

Jolaj was angry.”I am Ensign Jolaj Grotha of the United Stars Spatial Navy. All this white fur nonsense is in my past. You realize you doomed the Togar?”

They just stared at her so she said.”There is a Union Battleship right on this planet. We do not take the abduction of Union Fleet personnel lightly.”

“Nonsense, the Togar have abducted and eaten Unions before.”

Jolaj noticed a fifth Togar, bound and with a hood lying on the floor. It was Roghor and he actually laughed.”Forget the Union, forget the Marines who will tear this planet apart. Our Captain will not rest until we are free or avenged.”

Jolaj nodded with a resolute motion.”Yes, she will come and not even Lightray spirit Malmoru can save you from her.”

The male Togar said.”Jolaj we saved your life. We are of the Underground and moved just ahead of the government. You are the promised one and we will take you to Malmoru’s sacred pond.”

“I told you, I am a Union Citizen now and give a hoot about Togar politics and religion. Release me now, not the Queen’s guard can reach me there.”

“Yet, we managed to capture you. Malmoru’s call was made and you came. You are young and confused. Once you have been cleansed by the Waters of Malmoru, you will lead all Togr to freedom.”

Jolaj said.”This is the legend indeed, and I would be loyal to Togr for all this but I am a Free Union Citizen. I am a Med Specialist and part of a family none of you could ever understand. My friend Roghor knows it and predicted it.”

--””--

Lumis arrived on Avondur, the usual way with great fanfare and self-serving pomp. He basked in the fact that Crea, the Spirit of Creation has chosen him to be her champion and gave him tremendous powers.

He stepped out of a sphere of brilliant white light, accompanied by trumpet sounds. Dressed in his magnificent white armor and armed with Radiance the great sword of right and good. He dismissed the notion that the existence of a weapon designed to kill was a corruption of light and a tangible aspect of the Broken Rule.

To him, the Rule was insignificant. Crea did not abide by it and caused it to be broken, neither was he. That there was an Entity known as ‘The one behind it all’ was of similar unimportance to him. Lumis was of the opinion that this entity was impotent and was about to be replaced by Crea anyway, once the Dark One was defeated forever and no obstacle remained for Crea to become the Prime Entity.

His spectacular arrival did not have the effect he wanted.

No one really paid attention and went on with their business. It did not help that one of the frequent sand and dust storms engulfed much of the City of Avondur.

His armed guards lashed out at two beings that were close enough. “Be this a warning to all who do not bow down and worship the Paladin of Light.”

This was noticed and a man in armor and a red mantle stepped up.”Even you are not above the laws of Avondur, Lord Lumis.”

“I am above all laws made by crawling insects and answer only to Crea. For the sake of Light, my will is the law others must follow. Now fetch my worthy associate Miracel, he is received in great honors, I gather?”

The Red Knight laughed.”Your arrogance is legendary and only surpassed by your ignorance. We both will suffer once the Dark One rises, oh indeed. But you have not slain him yet and the conditions that govern Avondur are still valid. Your minions harmed and wounded two innocent merchants, tainting the light even further.”

“Be silent, Sata your master is a servant to Crea, nothing more. Now bring forth Miracel. I have business to attend.”

Out of the swirling dust, a naked man stepped forward, holding the sword known as Shard. Lumis had never seen Miracel without his armor, but he was certain this was Miracel.

“What fallacy is this? Why are you deem it appropriate to present yourself in such a way?”

“My armor was taken. The Urd have expelled me from their realm but retained my armor.”

The Red Knight snickered.”You are both welcome to tell the Urd if you can find their realm.”

Lumis tried to remain calm.”The Urd will know their place and pay for this in due time. I came to seek passage to the Seventh Plane. I must consult with the High Father.”

The Red Knight lost all his amused attitude.”The self-proclaimed champion seeking the counsel of one that dwells in the Nether-Realms? I will show you the access rift, but no one can come back, once the passage has been completed.”

“I can! Now show me.”

Lumis did not find it necessary to educate that impertinent Red Knight, that Crea supplied him with the ability to travel past the realms. A gift of the time when Sata and Crea were allies against the force known as the Dark One.”

The Red Knight took them to a red glowing portal in the Sandakaar Deserts. “Here is the portal to the Desolate Valley and the Weeping Mountains, upon which the Stronghold of the Fallen has been raised.”

Miracel cleared his throat. “Master, will you want me to come with you like this? Have you not armor and attire for me?”

“You lost it, you regain it. Now come, I am wasting time.”

“You wasted time in the upper realms my magnificent leader.”

--””--

Har-Hi bumped me.”I am ready for dinner, are you hungry?”

I leaned forward to glance towards the control deck, but all I could see was a closed door.”Are we there yet?”

“Naa, I think we are about halfway there. Six hours have passed. Shea and Narth have been here twice but decided to let you sleep.”

“What a waste of time, next time we stay behind as well.”

“Are you not intrigued by the mystery of garden worlds turning into Shattered Worlds?”

“I am, but I am also convinced the Ypeherix have something to do with it. We should simply seek them out and squeeze them for answers.”

Har-Hi grinned as he got up. “Fleet Command is also pretty sure the Ypeherix are part of it, but we need proof and of course them attacking a Union world.”

“They attacked and destroyed a Union outpost and a science cruiser as well.”

“In a system, they claimed to be theirs, according to our rules...”

I interrupted him.”Rules, schmules. See if that thing has Tuna Sandwiches.”

He worked the Serv-Matic.”Yes, it has the Fleet Standard Molecule map for Tuna sandwiches, choices are with or without mayo.”

“Get me one with Mayo please.”

He punched in the order and said.”Something bothering you? I mean other than this trip?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.