Warriors Refuge - Cover

Warriors Refuge

Copyright© 2019 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 3

All of Jack’s close family were gathered around him at the reception following his graduation from college. It had taken him five years (counting the year of college before he went into the Army) but he graduated with a double major, taking degrees in Landscape Architecture and Business Management. During his college days he also managed to obtain a Master Gardener’s certificate. His father shook his hand then said, “Now what son? Just how do you plan on making a living designing yards and parks around here?”

“I don’t know how well I will do Dad but I love making an empty space beautiful for people to enjoy. I am able to relax working on outside beautiful places and things. I can forget ‘Nam and just enjoy my life doing that. That is worth a lot to me. I plan to open my own business offering design of outdoor spaces and land and yard maintenance. With what I make from my rentals and what I hope to make from the business I think I will do OK; maybe better than OK. My professors and Advisor think there is a market for the services I plan to offer. I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see. I have enough friends in Sweetwater willing to work for me that help will not be an issue. Many of us suffer from varying degrees of PTSD and that kind of work suits them well. It seems to help them relax and forget like it does me. They are not forced to deal with too much stress and too many people so should do well. I have even found a retired military shrink that agreed to open an office in town and offer free counciling to the vets in lieu of office rent. She is going to build a new house in town on one of the lots I bought.”

As he was talking a beautiful young lady walked up to the group. She smiled at Jack’s family then turned to him and said, “Jack I wanted to congratulate you on your degrees and take a moment of your time if I could please.”

Jack smiled and said, “Sure Sarah. I need to mingle for a moment or two with some of the others but we can take some time before I do that if you want.”

“Thanks. I need to do the same. Shall we?”

As the two friends walked from group to group they talked about the last years of college and their dreams of the future. When they moved through a small conversational area with a couple of empty chairs Sarah turned to Jack and said, “Jack, could we please sit down for a minute or two. My feet are killing me in these shoes and I want to talk seriously for a moment.”

Jack moved to the empty seats and waited for Sarah to sit before he joined her. He looked over at her and listened as she said, “Jack, I’ve heard you plan to open a business designing yards and other outdoor grottos and features. I know you have your Master Gardener certificate in addition to your degrees. I got my AA degree today and have to take the certification for a Master Gardener. I think we got along well in the classes we shared and wondered if you might have room for me as either an employee or, hopefully, a partner.”

“Sarah, I haven’t even got an office yet. All I have right now is a dream and some rather tenuous plans for what I want to do. Most of my income for some time will come from property rental and what little yard work I can scrape up this late in the season. I’m not sure I can justify hiring someone until I have at least some work scheduled.”

“Jack, I really want to work as a Master Gardener and would enjoy working with you I think. I have a little bit saved from some grants I got and didn’t use for this school year and I have a part time job here in town. If we can work around my part time schedule I would like to become partners with you and open the business. Can’t we please work something out? I could even work with your mowing crews if you want. I bet some of the homes you get would love someone to care for their flowers and gardens as well as do the grass. I feel like we can grow a great business together. You have the gift of seeing designs for an open space and you are a true artist designing the spaces.”

Jack leaned back in his chair and thought for a moment. He glanced at Sarah a time or two as he thought. The hopeful, almost scared look, on her face got to him somehow. Finally he said, “If you realize we may have trouble gaining customers and that money will be tight I am willing to do the deal. I have several ideas and think we can work our design and gardening business into the lawn company. Here’s my card. (He handed her a business card). Think about this some more then, if you still want to join forces give me a call next week. We can meet to decide how to proceed. I really need to get back to my family now.”

“OK. That would be great. I should find my parents too. Thank you so much. You won’t be sorry I promise.”

The two new graduates stood and headed out to find their friends and family.

Sarah called Jack the next Tuesday to set up the appointment. They met in the old Administrator’s office at the hospital Wednesday morning. Jack had taken it over as his office when he began renting so many of the houses in town, rooms and apartments in the old hospital. He still sometimes missed having the office in his house but felt it was more professional to have an actual office somewhere. He shared the front office receptionist with the two doctors and the psychologist. Besides, the few people who came to see him could wait in the hospital waiting room if he was running late. It worked out well for all concerned.

Jack and Sarah talked and planned for almost three hours that first day. One of the things they covered was what to do about an office for the business and a place to store equipment and a limited inventory. There was an old Dairy just on the edge of town for sale. The house and barns were less than half a mile from Jack’s house and the hospital. He decided to call and see what the price for it would be.

When he mentioned the possible purchase of the dairy Sarah became very enthusiastic. She almost bounced in her chair as she said, “That would be excellent. If we can convert some of the buildings to a greenhouse or build one, we could grow bedding plants and maybe even sell some trees and shrubs to others. If nothing else, we would have room for an inventory and buildings to store equipment and supplies. We could maybe turn it into a garden center selling everything needed for the professional or home gardener. We could offer our services out of the center and use our own inventory in the business. That would allow us to purchase plants and supplies at wholesale then mark them up for sale to the customers. It would increase our profits immensely. Can we go look at it?”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.