I Walked Away With a Redhead - Cover

I Walked Away With a Redhead

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 10

We would be three going to my parents’ house. I had talked with my mother and all was well.

We talked about traveling with three and would use Morgan’s SUV for the trip. I packed and went over to their house. I drove up and saw Morgan’s SUV in the garage as I pulled up. She was waiting. She popped out and hugged and kissed me.

She said, “Evan, it’s good to see you. Let me back out and you pull into my place. If there’s any weather, you will be undercover.”

“Thanks. That’s one thing I look forward to at my new place. I can park undercover. I will be able to leave the top down more.”

She pulled out behind where her mother parked. I pulled into her place with my car. I got out and popped the trunk open grabbing my case and walking it to the back of her SUV. I loaded it beside her case. Her mother came out and I loaded hers in there, too.

We headed out of town. Morgan drove and I directed. In an hour and a half, I was giving the last directions to my parents’ house where I had grown up.

We piled out and went to the front door. I knocked and opened the door. “Mom, Dad, we’re here.”

Mom and Dad came out of the kitchen. Dad said, “That’s good. We’ve been holding supper for you.” He smiled.

Mom gave me a hug and then moved to Morgan. “You’re lovely just like your voice. I’m glad you’re here.” She released Morgan and gave Susan a hug. “Missus Cox, it’s great to meet you. You have a lovely daughter.”

“Susan, please. We’re going to be family.”

“Okay, Susan. I’m Marie and he’s Ted.

Dad had hugged Morgan commenting quietly on her beauty. He released her and said, “Susan, it’s good to meet you.” Morgan moved into my arms as we stood in a loose group.

Fortunately, a buzzer went off and my mother headed into the kitchen. Morgan followed her saying, “Missus Jones, how may I help?”

Through the open door, I heard, “It’s done, dear. We just need to put everything in platters and bowls and then carry it into the dining room.” Dad and I were well trained and moved to the kitchen to carry bowls and platters.

We did and everyone sat down to eat. My dad asked the blessing. It was delicious. Nothing fancy but good, solid food. Mom had meat loaf, macaroni and cheese, and Brussel sprouts, all of which I liked a lot.

The meal was good and my parents got to know Morgan better. Susan was involved in the conversation regularly. However, Dad wouldn’t blindly accept her answers instead he rephrased the question to Morgan. Morgan had to contradict her mother twice though tried to minimize the amount of contradiction by explaining the question and answer or even reworking her mother’s answer to correct it without saying her mother was wrong.

It was pretty subtle. I could tell Dad noticed it but he had not been satisfied with Susan’s answers before. He didn’t seem to have any problem with Morgan’s responses. At one point, he even helped Morgan respond to a question by suggesting Susan hadn’t really heard the question.

Dad had become a plant manager by first being an engineer and showing an ability with people. He rarely cut me any slack with my responses though cut Susan a fair bit and showed every indication of cutting Morgan as much slack as she might desire.

When the meal was over, we sat around for a few moments. I excused myself and hurried to my room. Once there, I pulled my grandparents rings from a box and returned. I knelt by Morgan and said, “Let’s make it formal. Morgan, I love you. Marry me.” I held the ring toward her in my hand.

Morgan smiled. “We will make it formal, Evan. I will marry you and wear your ring.” We embraced and I put the ring on her finger. It fit!

We all talked some more. Susan finally said, “I’m tired. I think I will go to my room. Good night everyone.”

She left the room and there was almost an audible sigh of relief.

Dad said, “Morgan, you’re still living at home?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“You’re a patient and strong young lady. It’s tough to hold to your values when a parent doesn’t subscribe to them.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Both my parents smiled. I knew we were “home free.’ Morgan continued, “I will live at home until we’re married and can move into our new home. Evan chose a home that I showed him. We both love it.”

I could tell my parents were both enjoying getting to know Morgan. This visit was going well and Susan’s words had done nothing to dampen my parents’ interest in or positive feelings for Morgan. We slowly made our way into the family room and sat down. My parents sat on their sofa that reclined while Morgan and I sat together on the love seat. We talked some more with my parents telling me of the local gossip. Mom asked me, “Evan, have you been in contact with Sheila?”

“No, Mom, we’re over.”

Mom nodded. “I understand she is in town this weekend. I’m telling you just so you’ll know to be aware that there is a possibility of a meeting if you two are in town.”

“Okay, Mom. We won’t be looking for her but won’t go out of our way to avoid her either. Morgan is my sole focus.”

In the morning after breakfast, my mom and dad trapped Susan in a discussion and we left for the center of town. Our town had a square like many small towns did and do. Ours had managed to keep going with businesses. There was a small park in the center of the square. We parked and began to walk. We saw and were greeted by people who knew me through my parents as well as some contemporaries of mine. Morgan was appreciated by all. She also had kind words for each person.

We had completed three-fourths of the square when Sheila exited a store and turned our way. I thought that this meeting wasn’t going to be avoidable. I shrugged mentally. I said, “Hello, Sheila.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.