I Walked Away With a Redhead - Cover

I Walked Away With a Redhead

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 3

As we agreed, we left in my car. Using her phone’s app, Morgan directed me to the first house. It seemed palatial. She said, “This is my mother’s first choice for you. It’s at the top of your budget but does fit inside it.”

We went through the house. It was big with large rooms. The yard was all grass with few trees or shrubs. It was tastefully designed and carefully staged. I made few comments. As we left, I said, “Your mother has great taste though it’s different from mine. It’s a nice house though I still like the first one best so far.”

Once in the car, we went on to the next house. Only one, the fourth, challenged the first from yesterday. It was lunchtime and I asked, “Where would you like to eat this afternoon?”

Morgan said, “If you like Mexican, there is a pretty good one not too far from here.” I nodded and she directed me to it. We went inside and chose from the lunch menu. As usual, with Mexican places I had been in the past, the food was plentiful and good. After a prayer, we ate. As we ate, Morgan questioned me about housing some more. She was taking notes and I noticed that she crossed two off her list. We finished eating and she paid over my objection. Once in the car, she directed me to the next house on her list. None of the ones remaining struck a chord with me. As we got in the car from the last house, I said, “I would like to look at the first one from yesterday if that’s okay.”

“Evan, you’re the client. Of course, it’s okay.” She directed me there giving me a code for the gate. I parked in the driveway and we got out. I pulled a small notepad, pencil, and tape measure from the center storage of my car.

“You are serious about this house. I wasn’t sure if you really liked it or was feigning interest to make me feel good.”

“I really do like it. However, I would have feigned interest if I thought that might have helped.” I grinned at her as we walked to the door.

Once inside, she helped me measure rooms. I also carefully lifted a corner section of the carpet in the living room to expose the old hardwood floor underneath. I said, “That’s good. It’s there and looks pretty good. I like the idea of refinishing it and the light walls.”

We continued to look over each room. I put particular attention on the bathrooms knowing that they might get some renovation attention from me also. The “hall” bath would be difficult to change but really was okay. I would just want to repaint it. The master had less tile and could take some work more easily.

Once finished inside, we went to the garage. I measured it thinking about storage if two cars were parked inside it. It would work okay though the lawnmower would require moving a car to get it out if two were parked inside. I figured I could survive that.

“Morgan, is this house subject to the HOA and what are the monthly or yearly costs?”

“I’m sure it is. I will have to check the details. I know I have a copy of the provisions at the office along with all the details. Let’s go there and study.”

We did and I reviewed the provisions with Morgan sitting beside me. Actually, the provisions were surprisingly not too onerous. The monthly maintenance fee was only fifty dollars a month. The HOA didn’t own anything but the small area at the entrance. Many of the houses had their own pools so there were no included facilities to maintain. The fee covered the front area with the gate maintenance. Exterior colors were based upon an approved palette which was neutral. That suited me. There was a limitation on fencing but I didn’t care. I wouldn’t fence but would use the shrubs to shield the property.

I looked at Morgan. “I want to make an offer. Let’s talk about what the sellers seem to want. It’s been on the market for a while.”

“Yes, it’s been listed for almost six months with little activity. I don’t believe they’re in a hurry but there have been no offers and little interest. Like I told you, it’s an oddity. If you wanted to sell later, that would be an issue then, too.”

I nodded. We prepared an offer and I wrote an earnest money check to the real estate company. It was considerably under the asking price but it gave me room to work on the place and stay well within my budget. It also gave me some ability to increase the price, if necessary, in the negotiations. Morgan was happy for me and for herself. This would be her sixth sale but her first without much involvement from her mother. She phoned her mother with the news of the sale. I could hear her mother. “You mean you sold him that old house?”

“Yes, Ma’am. He liked the lot at least as much as the house. He’ll take it with everything being left in the garage. It’s only subject to an inspection and final approval on the loan. Since he’s pre-qualified, that part will happen.”

We prepared the paperwork and I signed my life away and gave Morgan my check. She said, “It’s our policy to deposit the check immediately. We’ll present the offer by Monday. It may be sooner if I can get hold of the listing agent. I know he was out last week for a vacation but he’s supposed to be back.” She looked at me. “Just between you and me, he’s an ass. I’ve talked with him twice in the past and he has been dismissive. He will bitch but has to present the offer.”

“Why would he bitch about the offer?”

“It’s not for the full listing price. I think he made some statements about how easily they can get asking. He’s already eaten some crow since it hasn’t sold quickly. He’s not very active nor very successful. This is his only listing and will be his only sale thus far this year.”

All the paperwork was finished. She stamped my check and filled out the deposit slip to take by when we left the office. The phone call to the listing agent resulted in a voice mail. She told him where the completed contract was located and that she was following up the message with a text. She sent a text to him and copied in his broker and her mother. “That should get his attention and generate some action. He needs a sale or he could be removed from the agency. It’s policy that part-time agents are not kept.”

I nodded. As we were preparing to leave, he called her. He was gruff but would pick up the contract and present it tomorrow at one. I smiled. “Are you finished for the day?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.