I Walked Away With a Redhead - Cover

I Walked Away With a Redhead

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

She left a message on a phone that she was going to dinner with Evan Jones giving no particulars. We got in her SUV. She asked, “Is there any food you don’t like?”

I grinned, “Liver and onions.”

She chuckled. I loved that sound! “I don’t like that either. We won’t go where that’s served.”

I said, “Then, take us away.” She cranked the SUV and drove us off.

She pulled in a few minutes later at a local restaurant which had a Japanese type of name. We went inside and were seated. It was a hibachi-type. I ordered shrimp and steak with soup and some wine. I talked with Morgan and she followed my order. She shrugged. “That’s a lot of food but they can do a doggy bag.” We had ordered a glass of pink Zin each which worked because it was light to go with the shrimp and could even stay with the steak being strong enough.

We were at one end of the cooktop/table which gave us more ability to talk quietly together. I spent the time getting to know Morgan and how she thought about life. Without asking, I found that she had no steady guy since college and seemingly not many then. I didn’t show my surprise but continued to listen and learn. I found that her faith was serious to her and had a large part in how she lived and connected with people.

I said, “You are United Methodist?” She nodded. “That’s good. I got away from church while in college and never felt right about that. There are some things that I’m changing about me with this move and attending church has been high on that list. I would like to attend with you if that’s okay. If not, tell me where you go and I’ll go somewhere else.”

She looked shocked. “I would be glad for you to attend with me. Why would I not?”

“Other than knowing that I don’t have any obvious axe-murderer traits and do have good credit since I qualify for a mortgage, you don’t know much about me. There might be someone there who wouldn’t be happy with my presence with you possibly.”

“First, Evan, I’ve been alone with you all afternoon showing houses and am having dinner with you tonight. I have found you to be a gentleman. That’s good. Secondly, there is no one at church who would be jealous of you being with me. There may be a few who will be jealous of me though.” She grinned.

Changing the subject, she said, “We had planned showings for you most of tomorrow since you had appeared willing with my mother.”

I smiled. “Why don’t we meet early and you continue to show the houses? That way your mother can do other things. I have enjoyed every moment of our time together and you know me better to help me find the right house.”

“I think I would like that Evan.”

Our salads were served and we did talk to the people seated closer to us. Next to us were a married couple in their late forties celebrating their anniversary. Their kids were off on dates and they were enjoying a date themselves. Bob and Gayle were neat people and, we found, were members at Morgan’s church. They knew her mother and knew of her from her mother. They had a Sunday school class in common with Morgan’s mother though it appeared that Susan was an irregular attendee. Bob and Gayle went to the early service while Morgan and her mother went to the eleven o’clock service. They were pleasant people and were interested in Morgan’s evangelical efforts, as Bob put it, with me. I told Bob that, if a beautiful woman wants me to do what I already knew I wanted to do, I was very happy to reward her efforts.

Morgan was blushing a bit. Gale said she didn’t blame Morgan grabbing onto me quickly. She said, “Since he’s new in town, you can work him over lowering his guard while he’s lonely.” Morgan blushed some more but was recovering quickly.

We had a good time with them as the evening progressed. I thought their company helped Morgan to relax a bit more than she might otherwise. All in all, we had a fun meal. Though we had one wine refill, neither of us were feeling the alcohol. That suited me. I wanted this woman to feel comfortable with me and around me but also feel she had control, particularly of her faculties unhampered by alcohol.

Our meal was over and I paid over Morgan’s objection. I said, “I invited you so I should foot the bill.”

She looked me in the eye. “Next time, I will invite you and I will pay.”

My only thought as I smiled was that there would be a next time!

We went out to her SUV and I handed her into the driver’s seat before going around and getting in the passenger seat. She drove us back to her office. Once there, she asked, “Would you like to follow me home and have some coffee?”

I nodded smiling. “It would be a pleasure.”

She grinned. “I might even have some brownies.”

“That just makes a good situation better. I’ll follow where you lead me.”

We caravanned to her place which I found was her mother’s house. I parked behind her and we went inside laughing through the garage. Her mother was home not having had a good date. She joined us in coffee and a brownie though quickly exited. Susan Cox was also great looking and showed clearly from where her daughter inherited her looks. She had just arrived before us. She didn’t talk much but listened avidly while Morgan and I talked. Her face registered some surprise at her daughter talking so avidly and willingly with a new acquaintance.

After she left, Morgan chuckled again. “Mom is not used to meeting a male admirer of mine.” She grinned some more. “If that’s what you are, Evan.”

“I am definitely one of those. I’m enjoying talking with you. I want to hear more about church.”

“That’s a surprise.”

“Why? It’s something about which you are passionate and I like that about you. I haven’t been passionate about anything in too many years. I miss that about my life.”

“We-ell, there is a good Sunday school class that studies the Bible. We are in Romans right now.” I nodded. “Our pastor is a good speaker and brings sermons that speak to me and, I think, to many in the congregation. It’s a big, old, ‘first’ church. It’s also very active in the community. I’ve helped with the food bank. It’s really busy and helps many people. I like to do things that put my faith into action.”

She paused and looked at me. “What do you want to do tomorrow?”

“We’re supposed to look at houses. We could also get to know the town and general area. I want to know where the church is in actuality. Morgan, I hadn’t been looking forward to this weekend. I knew it would be lonely. I now know two people in the area other than employees at the plant. I don’t know them well yet. I know you better than anyone here and have enjoyed every minute of the time I’ve spent with you. I have nothing on my calendar except Sunday school and church so I’m available for as long as you can tolerate me.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.