Vennoa the Half-elf Sorcerer
Chapter 23

Copyright© 2019 by Spherical Spoon

The party made their way quickly to the Temple of Selune, and were warmly greeted by Priestess Seireri, whom an acolyte had rushed off to inform when he had seen the party approaching the temple entrance.

“Welcome back, adventurers,” Seireri said. “Were you successful in finding a diamond?”

Vennoa retrieved the diamond from her pack, and held it out to Seireri.

“Great, this will do,” Seireri said. “Come, have a good rest, and we will cast the spell in the morning.”

“Why not do it right now?” Vennoa asked.

“Such rituals are best performed in the rising sun,” Seireri replied. “Also, from the looks of it, all of you need some rest. Tempest can do with another day.”

“But—” Vennoa started, and noticed the rest of the party had already scattered off, following acolytes towards their assigned rooms.

“Don’t worry,” Seireri said. “We’ll cast the spell once everyone is up tomorrow.”

Vennoa sighed, and followed the acolyte that had been dutifully waiting by her side. She went towards her room, laid on the soft bed, and fell instantly asleep.

The next day, Vennoa awoke with a start. She hadn’t heard any whispers in her mind that night, or maybe she had but was too tired to pay any attention to it. In any case, that was the best night of rest she had had in a while. She quickly sat up, and looked at herself. She was still dressed in her rather-soiled clothes from the adventure. There was dirt in various places, and splotches of dried blood. She grimaced, and noticed that she had also stained the bed she had been sleeping in. Shrugging, she made her way out of the room. As before, an acolyte was waiting for her.

The acolyte led her to a back chamber, where Tempest’s body was now laying on a large stone tablet. Seireri was standing by Tempest’s head, and a small ring of priests and priestesses stood around Tempest.

Vennoa looked around, but didn’t see Agate, Fender, or Pua.

“Your other party members have left,” Seireri said, noticing Vennoa. “They awoke early this morning, and left without saying much. The Tortle said something about not wanting to be associated with you.”

Vennoa shrugged. She didn’t need them anyway. Especially not after getting the diamond. Now, Tempest would be back! She felt a sense of excitement and longing that she had not felt in a long time.

“Shall we begin?” Seireri asked Vennoa.

Vennoa nodded, and Seireri signaled the other priests and priestesses around her. They linked their hands, and Seireri chanted some words. A warm glow emanated from Sereiri, and flowed towards Tempest’s body. The glow engulfed his whole body, and Vennoa held her breath.

After a minute, the glow subsided, and Seireri dropped her hands, as did the others. Vennoa ran forward and grabbed Tempest’s arm. It was still dead cold.

“Wha—” she started.

“It seems like Tempest did not want to return,” Seireri said.

“You promised me that you could revive him!” Vennoa screamed.

“We cast the spell,” Seireri explained. “But we cannot compel someone to return to life if they do not wish to.”

“You liar!” Vennoa spat. “Bring him back!”

Seireri gave a slight nod to the others, and the priests and priestesses quickly left the room, leaving Seireri and Vennoa alone.

Seireri said softly to Vennoa, “I understand that this is hard, but perhaps your friend wants you to let him go.”

Vennoa sobbed. “Why would he do this? I’ve done all I could to bring him back.”

“Perhaps he has found his peace,” Seireri replied. “I have seen many cases of such.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this could happen?” Vennoa said angrily.

“There is no way to know what Tempest would choose to do, until we had cast the spell,” Seireri replied. “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing more we can do.”

“Can you bring him back anyway?” Vennoa asked.

“No, we cannot. Even if we could, we would never forcefully bring someone back to this plane,” Seireri said.

Sensing that Vennoa had no more to say, Seireri gave Vennoa a soft pat on the back, and also left the chamber. Vennoa sobbed over Tempest’s body.

Leave him. He’s useless. “Get out of my head!” Vennoa yelled. “It’s all your fault!” On the contrary, I have been the only one helping you.

Vennoa paused. This was the first time the voice had actually replied to her. Serve me, and you shall be rewarded. Vennoa could almost hear the sinister smile in that voice.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.