Vennoa the Half-elf Sorcerer - Cover

Vennoa the Half-elf Sorcerer

Copyright© 2019 by Spherical Spoon

Chapter 20

Of the twenty or so kobolds surrounding them, most were clustered near the far tunnel, blocking their progress. There were five or so kobolds behind them, and another five standing with crossbows at the side of the party, on the other wall of the cavern.

“You two handle the ones with crossbows,” Pua instructed Fender and Vennoa, as he headed towards the far tunnel.

Fender raised her crossbow and took aim, as did the kobolds. Crossbow bolts flew across the room. While the kobolds were numerous, their aim was terrible, and most of the bolts flew wide. One bolt hit Pua on his shell, and was lodged in, but Pua did not react to it at all. Fender’s bolt hit one kobold in its arm, causing it to drop its crossbow. Instead of retreating into its hole, it drew a dagger and made its way towards them.

Vennoa cast a firebolt at the kobold heading towards them, but her bolt hit the cavern wall instead. She cursed, and prepared to fire another bolt. She estimated that she’d have one more chance before the kobold was too close to them.

Twack! The sound of Fender’s crossbow firing was the next thing Vennoa heard. Fender’s bolt hit that kobold square in its chest, and it fell backwards to the ground. Fender grinned in triumph.

With their focus on the kobold marching towards them, Fender and Vennoa had momentarily forgotten about the other kobolds with crossbows. Vennoa looked back at them, and they were frantically reloading their crossbows. Vennoa didn’t remember any bolts flying towards them, and glanced at Agate and Pua.

“Agate!” Fender yelled, as she turned as well. Agate was laying on the ground, multiple crossbow bolts sticking out of him. Besides the crossbow bolt wounds, he had numerous slashing wounds on his body. From the pools of blood forming under him, things didn’t look good.

Fender rushed the couple of steps over, and placed her hands on Agate’s body. She closed her eyes and cast a spell, and Agate’s wounds quickly closed. He began stirring, and Fender breathed a sigh of relief.

Based on the kobold bodies next to him, it looked like Agate had taken out the kobolds whom he had engaged in melee with, before he had been downed by the crossbow bolts. Vennoa turned her attention back to the kobolds with the crossbows. It looked like they were taking aim again, preparing to fire another salvo at Agate and Fender.

Vennoa hastily cast a firebolt towards them. The firebolt didn’t hit any of the four kobolds, but was enough to distract them that their shots went wide. Their crossbow bolts hit the wall behind the party instead.

The kobolds nodded at each other, and spread further out. It looked like they were fairly intelligent after all.

As they reloaded their crossbows again, Fender helped Agate up, and Agate limped towards Pua, who was still engaged with his throng of kobolds. Fender took aim at a kobold, and hit it in its face. It collapsed on the ground, with a not-quite-loaded crossbow bolt landing right beside its crossbow.

Vennoa tried, but failed, to repeat her rays of fire. I could take all three out at once! If only I knew how! Grunting in frustration, she shot a firebolt at one of the kobolds. At least I’ve figured out how to cast the firebolt consistently now. If only my aim was better.

The firebolt flew at the kobold, but it jumped to the side before the firebolt hit. The firebolt still burned its side, and the kobold yelped in pain. The three kobolds looked more uncertain now, and traded glances with each other frequently.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.