Vennoa the Half-elf Sorcerer - Cover

Vennoa the Half-elf Sorcerer

Copyright© 2019 by Spherical Spoon

Chapter 6

“And that’s how we got that Beholder to let us in,” Tempest boasted.

Vennoa rolled her eyes. Her memory of the event involved both the Beholder and Tempest knocked out cold from the alcohol. She was seated in a tavern with Tempest. The two rangers had gone off separately after the convention, while she and Tempest had decided to stick together, at least for a while more. As much as she wouldn’t admit it, Tempest had a simplicity to his personality that Vennoa appreciated. And it didn’t hurt that he had a kind heart but a playful personality, much like a little brother that Vennoa never had.

The barfly who had been listening to Tempest swooned. Vennoa scoffed. Looks like Tempest is not quite as simple-minded as he appears, or maybe he is.

After the convention, Vennoa and Tempest had no idea how to leave, and had decided to hop on one of the magic caravans as it was departing — more Tempest’s idea but Vennoa had gone along. The caravan ended up in a small town, where they were now sampling the alcohol in the tavern. Presumably the caravan would somehow fill up with more adventurers headed to the convention, but Vennoa had no wish to end up there again.

“I hear that you’re quite the mighty monk,” a voice said.

Tempest and Vennoa both turned. A robed and hooded figure — a woman, based on the curves of the robe — had seemingly appeared next to them. Was this yet another barfly for Tempest? The human woman removed her hood, and Vennoa noticed that the woman’s face was smooth and soft-looking, almost as if she had never seen any hardship.

“I am a priest from Tensia,” the woman said in a smooth voice. “We need help from adventurers like you.” She looked at both Tempest and Vennoa.

“What kind of help do you need?” Tempest asked.

“Our city has been suffering from famine, and people are dying of hunger daily,” the woman continued.

Vennoa crossed her arms. It reminded her too much of her past. “And what do you need our help for?” she said sharply. “We aren’t farmers, nor do we have the money to feed your city.”

“Selune guided me to you, so you must be the cure for our problems,” the woman said.

“Selune?” Tempest asked.

“Selune is my patron deity,” the woman said. “She guides us, clothes us, feeds us.”

“Doesn’t sound like she’s doing a very good job,” Vennoa quipped.

“We’re doing all we can!” the woman retorted. “There’s only so many of us, and only so much food we can conjure every day. It’s barely enough to keep the poorest from starving.”

“Again, what do you need us for?” Vennoa repeated the question.

“My high priestess told me to find adventurers, and I have found you,” the woman answered cryptically. She reached into her robe and pulled out a small pouch. From the little sounds coming from it, Vennoa could tell that it contained some coins.

The woman continued, “This is all we can afford, but it should be enough to get you to Tensia. From there, my high priestess will be able to tell you more.”

Vennoa asked, “So you think we’ll just go to who-knows-where, based on what you’re saying and that small amount of coins?”

“Look, Ven,” Tempest stated. He had come up with that nickname, and Vennoa hated it. She had told him as much, but he just ignored her complaints. Tempest continued, “We don’t have anything to do here anyway. Let’s go over to Tensia and offer our help.”

Vennoa shrugged. “I’m all for getting out of here, but there’s nothing in it for us to go to Tensia.”

Tempest’s eyes roamed up and down the priestess’ body. Vennoa slapped Tempest on the shoulder. The priestess appeared unaware, or perhaps she just pretended to ignore the duo.

“We’re not going to do it,” Vennoa declared. “Not unless you can give us more than that paltry amount.”

The priestess sighed, turned and walked away.

That night, Vennoa tossed and turned on her bed. Tempest had been making quite a racket in his room next door with his barfly, who had patiently waited for their exchange with the priestess to end. Luckily, their activities had subsided a while ago and Vennoa had promptly fallen asleep. However, Vennoa now felt extremely warm for some reason, more than what the weather could have caused. She loosened her robes, and caught a glimpse of something.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.